New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

I very much doubt that will happen, the fees hike is to compensate for the planned reduction in government funding to universities, it's not extra money coming in...

The core idea of lowering foreign students fees is to attract international students to the U.K. It is a risky strategy and if it works, the U.K education sector will be the beneficiary.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of implementing new points test they should have hired her, now that she is back in town. Ha-ha

UK too full of immigrants, says Pauline Hanson | News.com.au

LOL Unfortunately, the recent anti-immigration sentiment exacerbated by the surging of the so-called " boat people" creates a lifetime opportunity for radicals like her to score some points. I won’t be surprise if she is elected in a political office.

I'm pleased by the new points system, previously i didnt qualify , but now do so.

I want to apply for an Independent Skilled Visa 175

I do have a few queries, hoping someone may help clarify:

1 - English language. Being a British national all my live, do I automatically qualify for Superior English language IELTS 8 (20 points)?

2 - Will a UK BA Hons degree classify as recognised qualification, its quite closely related to my job and career?

3 - Is the future of the RPL now dead in the water?

Age 33-39 25 points

English language 20 points

Overseas work experience in closely related skill 15 points

Bachelor degree 15 points

75 points

Thanks

Nigel

LOL Unfortunately, the recent anti-immigration sentiment exacerbated by the surging of the so-called " boat people" creates a lifetime opportunity for radicals like her to score some points. I won’t be surprise if she is elected in a political office.

at least the white policy was binned. very racist:mad:

White Australia policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest Mongobear
I'm pleased by the new points system, previously i didnt qualify , but now do so.

I want to apply for an Independent Skilled Visa 175

I do have a few queries, hoping someone may help clarify:

1 - English language. Being a British national all my live, do I automatically qualify for Superior English language IELTS 8 (20 points)?

2 - Will a UK BA Hons degree classify as recognised qualification, its quite closely related to my job and career?

3 - Is the future of the RPL now dead in the water?

Age 33-39 25 points

English language 20 points

Overseas work experience in closely related skill 15 points

Bachelor degree 15 points

75 points

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel

1 - in the current points system UK, NZ and so on citizens get 15 points which is equal to an IELTS of 6. So I assume they won't give 20 points to native speakers with the new points-scheme. It will rather be 0 points because this would be equivalent to the current system. I guess if you would like to get extra points you'll have to sit the IELTS.

2- no details about have benn unveiled regarding this. According to the new minister it will be in due course ... whenever this is

3. I think it will depend. If you don't have any formal qualification for your occupation the RPL might still be the way to go.

Good luck

Uli

Guest Gollywobbler
less overseas worker will results in high rates , so bowen is assuming by doing this he could encourage oz teenager to do a sparky's job over a white cool or for more cash and use their degree/qualification:biggrin: to repair ,install of household appliance(doesnt matter if he is unskilled to do job but have high language skills mixed with sweet voice :jiggy:and some steps to please his clients ) .............really interesting experiment making oz immigration system a comedy drama :biglaugh:

this is what Australian Industry Group chief executive Heather Ridout seems more matuared thinking says the points are unfair for those who have trade skills rather than degrees.For example, it would give applicants with undergraduate degrees five more points than highly skilled electricians or diesel mechanics whose skills are in particularly high demand in the mining, manufacturing and construction industries," he says.

Hi Electrical Guy

I understand that becoming an Electrician is not a popular idea with Aussie youngsters and their parents. I think they have to spend 4 years at college or something, whereas if they want to be a Bricklayer they only have to spend 1 year at college. Electrics and Plumbing seem to be the two things that involve a long time at college.

My Aussie nephew is 16. Apparently he has no academic aptitude and my sister reckons that he will probably become something like a Welder once he leaves school. Since he was born in Perth and has grown up in Perth, it seems likely to me that he will stay in WA. I would imagine that Welding would be quite a useful skill for the oil & gas projects up in the Pilbara or for any of the mines in WA.

At one stage there was a suggestion that Peter should become an Electrician but that idea seems to have bitten the dust. My guess is that Peter is probably put off by the idea of being required to attend college for ages, plus I think that Electrics must be a very boring subject generally if you are not interested in it. If it were me, I think I'd be more interested in Welding, though being female I've never had a go at it.

Cheers

Gill

RE. Gill's post above, PhD. versus tradie, my sentiments also and there are already many unemployed PhD.s in Oz, me thinks the university lobby influenced that one (like they did to keep accounting on SOL)....

Further, many institutions are already gearing up for special English/work skills/professional years etc. for students from Asia.

Guest miniwing

Hmm *pondering*...

OK so my hubby very closely matches the Architects Draftsperson. Under the current system we qualify for 100 points. Under new:

Age 31 - 30 points

English language - 20 points (assume he'd pass as superior having been born and bread in the UK?)

Overseas work exp - 7 years (would be 8 by time of visa app) - 10/15 points

Qualifications - Degree in Construction Management - 15 points

State sponsorship - 5 points

Total - 85/90??

So we thought it best to wait and see if his job appears on the new WA SMPs before we get his skills assessed - should we or do we just crack on? Also what do you need to score to qualify for an independant skilled visa under the new points?

thanks in advance.

Actually I think this test is slightly better for workers in their 30s. While I first felt screwed because I'm 33 and it took the highest point level down to 32, it does actually give people 25 points throughout all of their 30s. Also, it gives more points towards degrees and superior English ability, which I believe favors both native English speakers and people from western nations, i.e. the UK and US.

Hmm *pondering*...

So we thought it best to wait and see if his job appears on the new WA SMPs before we get his skills assessed - should we or do we just crack on? Also what do you need to score to qualify for an independant skilled visa under the new points?

Well, my advice is to get the skills assessment as soon as you can. There have been a lot of people waiting for SMP, and may have their skills assessment in hand, ready to apply when it comes out. By the time he gets his, all of the WA slots could be gone.

Also, while he may now easily qualify for a 175 application in July 2011, that will still be cat III, and he'll be looking at a longer wait time than if he gets the WA SS, plus the WA SMP should be out before July 2011 *hope* so you get the jump on that. Still, it's a nice bit of knowledge to know that, assuming this passes, that he has another option if he can't get State Sponsorship.

Actually I think this test is slightly better for workers in their 30s. While I first felt screwed because I'm 33 and it took the highest point level down to 32, it does actually give people 25 points throughout all of their 30s..

I like the fact that they have considered 25 points for us born in the late 70's like myself :biggrin: after all we've not that old!!

Guest miniwing
Well, my advice is to get the skills assessment as soon as you can. There have been a lot of people waiting for SMP, and may have their skills assessment in hand, ready to apply when it comes out. By the time he gets his, all of the WA slots could be gone.

Also, while he may now easily qualify for a 175 application in July 2011, that will still be cat III, and he'll be looking at a longer wait time than if he gets the WA SS, plus the WA SMP should be out before July 2011 *hope* so you get the jump on that. Still, it's a nice bit of knowledge to know that, assuming this passes, that he has another option if he can't get State Sponsorship.

Thanks. We're not ready though so by the time we've pulled all the info the smps will be out. We've already made the assumption a visa wouldn't be granted til 2012. Which gives us time to save more. Also at a push we'd prob qualify for construction proj manager so we may have to go down that route if AD job isn't on list.

I feel for those that started down this road a v long time ago. We've only just started and my brain is fried. Good kuckvto you all.

Thanks. We're not ready though so by the time we've pulled all the info the smps will be out. We've already made the assumption a visa wouldn't be granted til 2012. Which gives us time to save more. Also at a push we'd prob qualify for construction proj manager so we may have to go down that route if AD job isn't on list.

I feel for those that started down this road a v long time ago. We've only just started and my brain is fried. Good kuckvto you all.

Can you secure the anticipated points pass mark under the planned new points test?

What happens if your SMP application takes 6+ months to process to a decision?

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
RE. Gill's post above, PhD. versus tradie, my sentiments also and there are already many unemployed PhD.s in Oz, me thinks the university lobby influenced that one (like they did to keep accounting on SOL)....

Further, many institutions are already gearing up for special English/work skills/professional years etc. for students from Asia.

Hi Andrew

I am interested in your comment that lots of people living in Oz have PhDs but are unable to find work that is commensurate with their academic qualifications.

Exactly the same thing is true in the UK as well. I read recently that something like 50% of the young graduates in the UK are unable to find work. The employers demand recent, relevant work experience that the youngsters do not have,

Apparently companies like Virgin are now offering "apprenticeships" of some sort and many of the younsgers are grabbing them because they have realised that there is no financial future for themselves in all the academic learning that the British Government has been encouraging them to do, so they figure that there is no point in getting themselves into considerable debt for the sake of it.

I simply don't understand why the Australian Government seems to be determined to make all the same mistakes that the British Government has already made. You'd think they would learn from the UK's mistakes and would avoid repeating them.

Cheers

Gill

Guest miniwing
Can you secure the anticipated points pass mark under the planned new points test?

What happens if your SMP application takes 6+ months to process to a decision?

Best regards.

Hi, yeah if you see my post on prev page you'll see we score approx 80 on the new test.

I'd rather wait another few weeks (hopefully only days) so we know what jobs are on the list. But what happens next July - will the jobs list change again??

Hi, yeah if you see my post on prev page you'll see we score approx 80 on the new test.

I'd rather wait another few weeks (hopefully only days) so we know what jobs are on the list. But what happens next July - will the jobs list change again??

Looks good then. In your case it seems you have more than sufficient points.

Good luck!

Guest wilbatastic

seriously, is the immi govenment completly flushed there brains down the toilet, do they think that a country can grow and run in this time of economic downturn by only letting in migrants that have degrees,

i have made all my money by working in trades for people that have degrees, because they can't be bothered and have no idea how to fix a water leak / clean a swimming pool or repair the leaking roof.

if everyone is sitting in a office complimenting each other on the debt they have, from all the study they had to do to get in to the country, who will be making there soya fu*@ing latte! someone with a $70k debt and a bachelor degree in solar powered environmental concrete phycology.

god im so sick of being arse rammed by this govenment, ALL I WANT TO DO IS WORK HARD AND RAISE A FAMILY IN A WARM CLIMATE,

I HAVE MONEY, TRADE AQF3, CLEAN POLICE RECORD, GOOD HEALTH, REFFERENCES AND THE WILLINGNESS TO ADAPT TO MY SURROUNDINGS TO EARN A BUCK.

and yet still i have to leave to apply, to then be told i need a degree to be a painter!!!

HEY JULLIA DO YOU REALLY THINK THE LAZY AUSSIES WILL COME AND FIX YOUR DRAINS

AU CITIZENS ARE NOW THE FATTEST OBES RACE ON EARTH 26%

MAYBE YOU SHOULD LET IN SOME MORE PERSONAL TRAINERS!

AND LESS CHEFS

MY APPOLOGIES TO ANYONE THAT FEELS OFFENCE TO THIS POST, BEING TREATED AS A SLAVE POME HAS LED ME TO MADNESS.

THE SYSTEM HAS MELTED MY BRAIN :arghh::wacko::Randy-git::chatterbox:

HONESTLY THIS GOVENMENT NEEDS TO TAKE A LOOK AROUND THE WOULD AND LEARN HOW TO GROW AND SUSTAIN THERE FUTURE, NOT JUST ATTRACTING HIGH GRADE DEGREE MIGRANTS, DO YOU THINK THEY WILL STAY HERE WHEN THERE IS NO WORK FOR THEM, AS THERE WILL TOO MANY HIGHLY QUALIFIED PEOPLE GOING FOR 1 JOB, THEN ECONOMIC DOWN TURN DUE TO TOO MUCH PERSONAL DEBT AND HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT,

SOD THIS IM GOING BACK TO EUROPE, OR EVEN THE USA AT LEAST THEY KNOW THEY ARE BONKERS!!!

PS STOP EATING ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS IT ROTS YOUR BRAIN AND MAKES YOU A AU POLOTICIAN

Guest Jamie Smith

Yes it's frustrating.

But it could help relieve your stress if you developed a revised understanding of the new system.

All they have done is set aside most of the skilled unsponsored visas for "higher" educated applicants.

Trades are still welcome and open to sponsorship in the States, in various occupations and quantities.

And then there are the options for employer sponsorship.

So the door is not closed to you yet. You just need to look for a different door.

The problem I see is the shift to employer sponsorship with so few employers and recruitment agencies understanding the system. And many smaller employers will not be able to become sponsors because of the lack of profit in their tax returns and inability to show a training commitment. These are the two most common issues we find with employers when we are looking for sponsors for our migrant clients.

Some of them would just love to hire a migrant but they'd never be able to become a sponsor within the Government's current requirements. They can't have a low tax paying business (all cash, all drawings and no profit) and expect the Government to endorse what is essentially a tax avoiding business structure to become a sponsor.

None of these issues are totally insurmountable for applicants, it just requires a broader net to be cast when looking for sponsorship from employers and that takes time and effort.

Atr this time of year, we are extending our search period to four months and run well into next year as many employers start to slow down and reduce their intake of new staff. They are still hiring and my understanding is that more employers are now looking for staff to start early next year.

All they have done is set aside most of the skilled unsponsored visas for "higher" educated applicants.

And therein lies the problem. The employable (who have the high grades from well known universities and desirable experience) "higher" educated migrants are in general those who end up working for the big companies, who are very familiar with the system, and are more than happy to sponsor their immigrant workers. . Someone with this level of education and experience is in general not going to risk giving up their highly paid job elsewhere to come to australia on the off-chance of landing a well paid job here, they're going to want a job-offer in hand before uprooting family. So the people the government is targeting with this change are already getting in through ENS.

This change is simply opening the floodgates to degree educated people who have little or no hope of employment in their subject area due to low grades, less experience/gaps in employment history or employers being unfamiliar with their university etc.

At the other end of the scale, you've got the tradies who can find jobs but find it hard to get employer sponsorship because most of these employers are small companies who don't fit the criteria. And the tradies are now being cut back from the general skilled migration too, leaving state sponsorship as the only realistic option, and that's only giving them 5 extra points anyway.

Yes it's frustrating.

But it could help relieve your stress if you developed a revised understanding of the new system.

Trades are still welcome and open to sponsorship in the States, in various occupations and quantities.

And then there are the options for employer sponsorship.

So the door is not closed to you yet. You just need to look for a different door.

The problem I see is the shift to employer sponsorship with so few employers and recruitment agencies understanding the system. And many smaller employers will not be able to become sponsors because of the lack of profit in their tax returns and inability to show a training commitment. These are the two most common issues we find with employers when we are looking for sponsors for our migrant clients.

Some of them would just love to hire a migrant but they'd never be able to become a sponsor within the Government's current requirements. They can't have a low tax paying business (all cash, all drawings and no profit) and expect the Government to endorse what is essentially a tax avoiding business structure to become a sponsor.

None of these issues are totally insurmountable for applicants, it just requires a broader net to be cast when looking for sponsorship from employers and that takes time and effort.

Atr this time of year, we are extending our search period to four months and run well into next year as many employers start to slow down and reduce their intake of new staff. They are still hiring and my understanding is that more employers are now looking for staff to start early next year.

Hi Jamie,

2 years i have been seeing these new systems and the stress just keeps coming when you move further back the queue to adapt to these new changes, you say Trades are still welcome and open to sponsorship in the States yes i got QLD state sponsor but this counts for nothing just another hoop i was made to jump through, you say the door is not closed yet their is the ENS route and like its been said on here before this isn't easy, you need money to get to Australia to look for Employeers also a good boss that will give you a month or 2 of work:wink: or you can use an Agent to do this for you yes i do have one but still no ENS and i have spent about £4,0000 so far and more as we were advised to do medicals, we are an average family earning a average living with 3 kids one in college that need support so can't really afford to waist money unless their was a real chance of an employer , sorry but i can't see hope.

Regards Tania

Guest Jamie Smith

Yes it's expensive, or difficult, or both for some people.

I think the worst thing anyone can do is to migrate with naff all capital on arrival, unless a job is waiting for them.

Good luck with your search.

Yes it's expensive, or difficult, or both for some people.

I think the worst thing anyone can do is to migrate with naff all capital on arrival, unless a job is waiting for them.

Good luck with your search.

Sorry i thought you said "So the door is not closed to you yet. You just need to look for a different door" you didn't say it was difficult i think that was my point also i never said i wouldn't have money or in your words naff all when I or if I arrive in Australia, I do have money but in assets i said I could not afford to waist money but I would if I new it would pay off and i am not ready to sell my assets yet unless i was guaranteed a visa!! and i also have family in Australia that are more than willing to support us.

Regards Tania

I have been told eight months before you move to Australia, you start getting equited with skills which will help you improve your job chances in your area.

According to agents i have spoken two in the last month, the market is getting floored, and they seem to be all the same. Nothing makes them stand out, and you need to do something different with your skill to make you stand out.

plus it also show you have changed to met the market in AUstralia

Guest Jamie Smith
Sorry i thought you said "So the door is not closed to you yet. You just need to look for a different door" you didn't say it was difficult i think that was my point also i never said i wouldn't have money or in your words naff all when I or if I arrive in Australia, I do have money but in assets i said I could not afford to waist money but I would if I new it would pay off and i am not ready to sell my assets yet unless i was guaranteed a visa!! and i also have family in Australia that are more than willing to support us.

Regards Tania

Hi Tania

I was just trying to help keep your dream alive up, migration is a real rollercoaster, and more so recently. I recognise that mnay people now need to make changes in visa strategy unless they have immense patience.

And I was trying to offer generic advice on finance, I wasn't pointing my mouse your way.

Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

Hi Tania

I was just trying to help keep your dream alive up, migration is a real rollercoaster, and more so recently. I recognise that mnay people now need to make changes in visa strategy unless they have immense patience.

And I was trying to offer generic advice on finance, I wasn't pointing my mouse your way.

Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

Hi Jamie

If i was told i would definitely get a visa but would have to wait another two years on top of the 2two years i have already waited i would be happy its the not knowing if I will get one or not with the cap and cease, i also understand after two years what a rollercoaster ride this is,

My first migration agent in the UK went bust so then i was approached! by another agent with the same company name in Australia that offered to take our case on our 175 and 176 was already lodged so shouldn't think they would have much to do but i had to pay for this service and now i am being advised to go ENS route this will also cost so i guess i sometimes feel bitter when Agents offer some advise about other doors but not that those doors could close in your face, so this is my reason for being bitter but thankyou for your apoliges

Tania

Archived