New Points Test - Skilled Details Migration

Alan Collett

Just in, via the MIA:

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has released the new Points Test for General Skilled Migration (GSM), available here and through Commonwealth of Australia Law here.

Some major changes include:

• The bundling of qualifications and work experience to achieve the majority of points;
  • An increased of the GSM age limit to 50 years of age;
  • The inclusion of two additional recognised English language tests;
  • The degree of relationship between sponsor and applicant now determining points awarded for sponsorship;
  • Sponsors now must be Australian citizens of at least five years and resident of at least the two years immediately prior to application; and
  • Regional family sponsors now must be residents of a designated area for at least two years immediately prior to application.

I will post an article on Go Matilda News this afternoon:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best regards.

Hi Alan.

1. Will this new points system affect those who already lodged their applications?

2. Why this new information has not been posted on DIAC's website? If indeed it is an official information.

Regards,

MOTO

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the link. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but It appears that the 5 points awarded for community language are gone and they now require fluency in TWO languages other than English to award 5 points (item 6316).

Do you know when will this new points criteria will become official?

Just in, via the MIA:

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has released the new Points Test for General Skilled Migration (GSM), available here and through Commonwealth of Australia Law here.

Some major changes include:

• The bundling of qualifications and work experience to achieve the majority of points;

• An increased of the GSM age limit to 50 years of age;

• The inclusion of two additional recognised English language tests;

• The degree of relationship between sponsor and applicant now determining points awarded for sponsorship;

• Sponsors now must be Australian citizens of at least five years and resident of at least the two years immediately prior to application; and

• Regional family sponsors now must be residents of a designated area for at least two years immediately prior to application.

It appears that this information has been retracted by the MIA.

Sponsors now must be Australian citizens of at least five years and resident of at least the two years immediately prior to application; and

Regional family sponsors now must be residents of a designated area for at least two years immediately prior to application.

According to the above information, how will it effects my application. As I was sponsored by my brother who is citizen(for last 6 months) and resident (for last 4 years). He was in Melbourne when I applied( 39 months ago.) Does this mean I qualify all the point made under this Point system Schedule6 Part4 .

• 2 months later...
Guest sweetdubai

Apologies if this is not a valid query but we are just in the process of reading all the visa information for Oz, anticipating applying in September.

We were hoping for a 475 territory sponsored work visa which needed 100 points not 120. Is this reflected in the new points system and the pass mark lower that 65 or is it 65 for all.

Any info appreciated.

Archived