NHS Paycuts

ellasdaddy

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I think you would be wise to think about what you are saying before going off on one.

You will find that i do indeed have it in for some public sector workers like teachers and some civil servants etc, however i have made exceptions for doctors and nurses as i believe they should be the exception to the rule, i think a pay freeze would have been more than adequate.Also as far as builders are concerned i as a tax payer do not pay for them out of my taxes as i do for public sector workers so if i want to have my say on it i feel as though that is my right.

Hi andy

i'm not going off on one and if you want to have it in for some public sector workers as you say you have, then thats entirely up to you, but i couldn't personally be bothered to even think about it. They are people with families with mortgages just like everyone and some of them didn't ask for useless jobs to be created, which i agree shouldn't have been created and i wouldn't be bothered about peoples pay and pensions of public sector workers earning less than £35,000, when billions upon billions of pounds are being wasted all over the place, to me its wasted energy even thinking about what these people are getting, but........... if you feel aggreived about it who am i to say your wrong.

Hi again Andy............. the last thing i want is for us to have a disagreement, i can get annoyed with leaching solicitors and greedy barristers and bankers, bent MP's and useless footballers, who get paid rediculous amounts of money and they have no morals or interests other than pure greed, not all, but most. These i can gett p7ssed off with, but average paid public sector workers, doesn't register at all with me. Just don't want any mis-understanding buddy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sh7t man no way
Looks like more health workers will be looking to head out to greener pastures. Bridget got 2 more emails today from ex colleagues looking to come here but they don't qualify due to age so have to look for sponsorship.

kev

queensland health:biglaugh:my god it makes faulty towers look proffesional--have they been paid yet:wideeyed:any moneys better than no money:biglaugh:stay in the uk girls

TBH ropey, i not got much sympathy for most public sector workers. My sister has a pub just accross the road from a council office, the workers would come in for their lunch and the stories of slothdom would turn your stomach. Front line doctors and nurses I have the greatest respect for and believe they are worth their weight in gold.

But next time you (nothing personal:wink:) complain about a pay "freeze" count yourself luck that you aint a bricky out in the cold laying concrete blocks down a trench ankle deep in water for less money you where getting 1o years ago.

Sorry for rant.:wubclub:

What do you know about public sector workers, exactly? I work my ar7e off, get paid a pittance for the hours I do, and I don't need people like you judging me for a job I care deeply about and who frankly, is making rude sweeping generalisations. Show some respect. :mad:

Hi,

Is this in the NHS? Crikey! I knew a pay freeze was coming, and there was talk about freezing progression within bands, but this is shocking reading. I thought the national payscale (agenda for change) regulated pay. Surely you can't have a scenario where hospitals are deciding their own pay, else staff will just leave and go the higher paid trusts (where they are able, of course).

It is sometimes hard for folks to find sympathy with public sector staff, particularly office types. The job is seen as a cushy number, with good terms and conditions. Everyone gets a choice (to some extent at least) about where they initially take their career. Some will take the private route, where they can earn big bucks in good times, but they will find work hard to come by in leaner times. The ones who choose the public sector will be rewarded with a job where the fluctuations aren't as wide- a more middle of the road approach. The public sector is an easy target for the down at heels tradie at the moment, but lets not forget that in the boom periods of the last few decades, the same tradies were raking in a fortune, whilst the public sector guys were getting the same.

Cutting frontline nurses pay by 18% with 2 weeks notice seems particulalry unfair and unjust. I think back on my nursing career and the conditions are horrendous - threats to your life, assaults, the risk of communicable disease (that you may also pass to your kids), 24 hour shifts etc.

I've not seen many brickies laying bricks when I come home covered in blood, tears and vomit on Christmas day. :wink:

I do think there needs to be some perspective on this, the pay cuts for the NHS workers is disgusting, If you work for a private sector though, over the years, they have equally had pay cuts. But whether you work for a public or private sector, it is always them at the top the 'fat cats' that never seem to have their pay frozen or cut, I'm sure if they took a 20% hit on their wages, the amount of money would be huge!!

I have immense respect for all public workers such as Nurses/Firefighters/Prison Officers etc, it is definitely a job I couldn't and wouldn't do.

Steph

xxxx

So infuriating and short sighted....I haven't heard of any cuts where I am, but my sympathies go out to those who have. It's only been in the last few years that the annual payrise for nurses hasn't been under the rate of inflation - and here we go again.

The upshot is, nurses leave to go into the private sector - or something else better paid, and all of the standards and timescales imposed by government need to still be met, so agency nurses are employed - on a higher pay - bonkers! I currently work with agency nurses who are getting (literally) double my hourly rate, and taking no responsibility. Wouldn't want to be on a life support machine in the community about now!

God Speed everyone!

I completly agree with what is said about agency nurses, i work for an agency (NHS Professionals) but i make a point of never working on wards where i have no exprience, i just dont see the point in doing it, i do alot of shifts between maternity A&E and neurophysiology, i can honestly say it really annoys me if i go and do a shift say in casualty and they send an agency nurse who had never worked their and has no idea what to expect its silly and dangerous, same way as it would be completly inappropriate for me to go and work on maybe a transplant ward.

I have spoken to a few nurses yesterday and apparently the pay cuts come into force in 2 weeks for short term contract agency staff it comes in next week for flexible worker agency staff and looks like it will be the end of the month for full time staff.

Looks like the nuffield and other private hospitals will be inundated with applications very soon :huh:

What do you know about public sector workers, exactly? I work my ar7e off, get paid a pittance for the hours I do, and I don't need people like you judging me for a job I care deeply about and who frankly, is making rude sweeping generalisations. Show some respect. :mad:

My opinion is most public sector worker have had it easy for too long. Compared to their private sector equivalents they get paid more and get better overall rewards in perks and pensions for doing less (nurses and doctors excluded).

What do you know about public sector workers, exactly?

what i read and what I've heard from the horses mouth.

and I don't need people like you judging me for a job I care deeply about and who frankly, is making rude sweeping generalisations. Show some respect.

What exactly do you mean by "people like you"? as for generalisations, if you read my post i included the word "most"

My opinion is most public sector worker have had it easy for too long. Compared to their private sector equivalents they get paid more and get better overall rewards in perks and pensions for doing less (nurses and doctors excluded).

what i read and what I've heard from the horses mouth.

What exactly do you mean by "people like you"? as for generalisations, if you read my post i included the word "most"

Walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me and other hard working public sector workers, please. Perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you read. The media has always had it in for certain parts of society and the civil service is one of them. Coming across one group of idiots who work for local council in a pub, does not mean that unless you are a doctor or nurse that what you do is a waste of space and I find your comments offensive and speculative. Of course doctor's and nurses do a great job, I am not questioning that for a moment, but it is shortsighted and ignorant of you to suggest that they are the only parts of the UKs biggest employer who have value.

As for my 'people like you' comment - you are being judgmental and looks as though you made those comments in order to provoke a reaction, which I find pathetic when people's jobs in this very hard working sector are at stake at the moment.

Am not interested in commenting any further, thanks.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that too many public sector jobs were created in the past and some arn't as worthy as others, but................ every worker is an individual, like you and me, they have the same pressures on them, paying their mortgage, bills etc and fair enough, get rid of 500,000 of them over a long period through retirement and people leaving, but to get rid of 500,000 because the government and banks have ballsed things up, is just SICK and people will lose their homes, families will be split up and the untold misery will never be known. To me its a disgrace to the country and people are having to pay dearly for the sins of others.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Absolutely agree Ropey, I't not fair that millions of people have been paying through hard earned taxes for people to be employed in "non-jobs" by the previous government.

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/unnecessaryjobs.pdf

I don't disagree with you Aldo, lots of non jobs were created and need trimming back, but making people redundant in bulk fashion is disaster for thousands.

As for our taxes being wasted, what about the billions upon billions of pounds spent on........

2 stupid wars

Legal Aid

Over seas aid

Euro zone

Bankers bonusses - billions again.

And other rubbish

The list goes on, we take the brunt of the costs with pay freezes for 4 years and pay cuts, whilst the cretiness CON/DEM-ned government waste multiple billions elsewhere.

Not sure if we should pay to much attention to the private sector pay grades, the public sector pay grades are the ones we should be concerned about however as they affect us all as we pay for it.

what a strange argument..:wacko:

a bit like comparing chas n dave to Pavarotti

Not sure if you actually read the article but a few bits jumped out...

"Steve Tatton, the report's editor, said companies had returned to "business as usual" as soon as the recession officially ended last year. "It seems the days of earnings restraint were short-lived," he said."It is as though the recession never happened. It stands in stark contrast to the coalition government's concerns about pay fairness and calls for senior executives in the public sector to accept pay cuts"

"Paul Kenny, general secretary of the GMB union, said: "Boardroom greed is alive and well. Let us not forget that these are the same people urging the government to make deep cuts in jobs and services and in the welfare on which the poorest in our society rely.""

There is also the infamous letter to the chancellor from many of these execs encouraging the public sector cuts whilst they enjoy huge increases year on year.

Anyway, I'm alright jack...

Not a personal criticism hoff , and in your shoes I would do the same , but you've mentioned both you and the mrs have applied for voluntary redundancy so you can set up new life in Oz , you've described both your jobs as being well paid .I could only dream of being paid to stop working ! The nhs is the third biggest employer in the world only being beaten by wallmart and the Chinese army ! I'll probably get abused by just about everyone but I don't buy into the whole essential services , angels and Hero's thing with nurses and fire brigade .it's just a job . A secure steady job , with a pension . People choose to do these jobs hopefully that they enjoy helping people .the police and army are the real hero's and you get more in costa coffee than starting wages in the army !cuts have to be made , money saved , be thankful it's only 18%

Archived