NHS Paycuts

ellasdaddy

Thats more than students of any other subject get.

This is true but as a regular student you have months of the year off for summer holidays etc. As a student nurse you get seven weeks a year. When not at university you are on placement working 37.5hr shifts accross 24hrs of the day.

I think £600 for 37.5hrs a week is very little, considering on top of this they need to study and do assignments etc. work that out its only about 3.70 an hour.

Plus as a student nurse you can not be employed by anyone else during the hours 9.5 monday to friday as you are employed by the nhs although they are not entitled to any sick pay/ pension/ ni contributions etc during their three years of training.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is true but as a regular student you have months of the year off for summer holidays etc. As a student nurse you get seven weeks a year. When not at university you are on placement working 37.5hr shifts accross 24hrs of the day.

I think £600 for 37.5hrs a week is very little, considering on top of this they need to study and do assignments etc. work that out its only about 3.70 an hour.

Plus as a student nurse you can not be employed by anyone else during the hours 9.5 monday to friday as you are employed by the nhs although they are not entitled to any sick pay/ pension/ ni contributions etc during their three years of training.

They also get a student loan and bursary on top of this - and after graduating have a higher chance of getting a job than say a business or computing student.

My OH studied medicine - which is a six year course with a high work load and didn't receive any wage for being a student.

They also get a student loan and bursary on top of this - and after graduating have a higher chance of getting a job than say a business or computing student.

My OH studied medicine - which is a six year course with a high work load and didn't receive any wage for being a student.

The £600 is the bursary not additional, when I graduated three years ago out of a class of 43, only 12 of us were offered interviews from the trust who sponsored our training and only five of us were offered jobs as that was all the vacancies they had. This trend has continued for the past six graduating cohorts, so I wouldn't say that student nurses have a better chance of securing work.

As for the student loan, for those doing the diploma they are not eligible. For those doing the hons degree they loose almost two thirds of the bursary and then need to get the student loan to try to survive.

If you do an ordinary degree you can keep the bursary and not apply for the student loan.

The £600 is the bursary not additional, when I graduated three years ago out of a class of 43, only 12 of us were offered interviews from the trust who sponsored our training and only five of us were offered jobs as that was all the vacancies they had. This trend has continued for the past six graduating cohorts, so I wouldn't say that student nurses have a better chance of securing work.

As for the student loan, for those doing the diploma they are not eligible. For those doing the hons degree they loose almost two thirds of the bursary and then need to get the student loan to try to survive.

If you do an ordinary degree you can keep the bursary and not apply for the student loan.

So you can do the ordinary degree and come out of uni debt free - Which is still better than any other graduate.

What do you mean by a high work load? I understand that medical students have a massive amount to learn as my sister is a Doctor but I'm not sure that medical students slog it out on the wards!! As a nurse myself student nurses work really hard on the wards and also work lots of shifts on top as clinical support workers to supplement their wages. At the end of their training there are often no jobs and compared to medical students will probably never earn anywhere near what doctors earn.

At the end of their training there are often no jobs and compared to medical students will probably never earn anywhere near what doctors earn.

A medical student will also have considerable debt because they do not get the wage for being a student.

There are also a lack of jobs for doctors as well

Jobs for junior doctors 'to be cut' - Telegraph

A medical student will also have considerable debt because they do not get the wage for being a student.

There are also a lack of jobs for doctors as well

Jobs for junior doctors 'to be cut' - Telegraph

I have every sympathy for medical students and the debt they end up with and I really appreciate that their study workload is massive but I don't think the bursary that student nurses receive is over the top. Student nurses really do put in full time job on the wards and have to study as well. A lot of the student nurses I have met recently have families as well so £600 is not a huge amount of money to survive on. I think mature students should be encouraged because mature students usually make really good nurses due to the life experience they have behind them.

I am curently working in oz as a registered nurse and I can tell you that the aussie nurses I work with envy british nurses who do not have to pay for there training. It costs them around $20,000 just to train they get nothing to live off, UK students are very lucky but unfortunatley don't relise it.

I for one now realise how lucky I was to train in the UK.

Archived