Poorly dog - feel so guilty

Guest Jen and Rob

Guest Jen and Rob

We've arrived in Busselton WA about a month ago and everything has gone so well. However, we had our first real hiccup on Thursday - it was awful.

I went to get Josh (12yr old springer spaniel) from Byford quarantine and he was really giddy as you can imagine. He'd lost a lot of weight during his stay and didn't look too good, but I thought it was just due to him pining for us. He'd also developed a really hoarse squeaky bark (from too much barking with all the other dogs, I thought)

But when I got him back to Busselton, he suddenly collapsed, couldn't breathe and his tongue and gums started turning blue. Luckily I was at a friend's house which is near her vet's so we just carried him to the car and drove like maniacs. When we got there, the vet put him on oxygen, put a breathing tube in and gave him various drips and injections but said that although he'd do everything possible, it was touch & go whether he'd make it. I was devastated - hadn't even got the poor boy home.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they managed to stabilise him and let him come home the next day as long as someone was around 24/7 to nurse him. It turns out that he has "laryngeal paralysis" - apparently it must have been developing for about a year, but our vet in the UK seems to have missed it on the 2 occasions I'd taken him in with laboured breathing, saying it was a chest infection. Also the hoarse bark is one of the symptoms.

So basically it was a chronic problem he had anyway and the acute episode was brought on by stress. The larynx simply closed in on itself and cut off his breath. Apparently now it's happened once, it could happen again at any time if he gets stressed, hot or excited. He's not allowed any exercise whatsoever. He goes in for an operation in Perth though next week and if that's a success, hopefully he'll be fine again (though it's quite a risky op).

I feel terrible now as he's been through such trauma and has more to face next week. Though I would also have felt terrible leaving him behind :sad:

Guest Lui A xxx

oh No...that's awful for you...but don't feel guilty...you have only done what you thought was best..!..

I don't know what to say to make things better...i just want to let you know that I am thinking of you...I only picked my pooch up yesterday, and even though she is only a year old, i was worried sick about her.

I really hope all goes ok for you and Josh....(((((Hugs))))

xxx

Guest goonerlady

Don't feel guilty as you did not know.Also I know you and your dog will have comfort in being together and I hope the op goes well.

I just had to have my beautiful one year old dog,Daisy put to sleep but I take comfort she knew she was loved and we were with her but it just did not work out.

I am thinking of you and Josh and let us know how the op went.Take care.Sue.

Guest juliemtaylor

Thinking of you all, I know you feel guilty but better that you have found out what is wrong and are there for him now..

Julie x

sorry to hear ur dog's not well, fingers crossed he's on the mend and u can soon take him home. Our dogs fly out tomorrow and i'm really worried cos 1 especially is very nervey. We just have to remind ourselves why we're bringing them out and as they are a part of the family leaving them just wasn't an option. Keep us posted

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry to hear about your pet, you must be sick with worry. However, you definitely should not feel guilty about anything. Everything happens for a reason. You took your dog to the vets in the UK and on two occasions he failed to diagnose this problem. Had he diagnosed the problem what would you have done? Left him behind, I don't think so. Your dog did not die whilst in transit, neither did he collapse whilst he was in quarantine when there was nobody around to help him. It happened when he was safely back with you and you were close to a vets!! He now has his devoted family with him and feeling this love around him will help him tremendously. If he had been left behind in the UK it would still have happened, and you would have been worried stupid on the other side of the world not being able to support him. I pray that he will make it through the operation and make an excellent recovery. My thoughts are with you. Let us know how he goes on.

PS Four years ago I went out with friends and my husband decided to sit up and wait for me to arrive home. Rosie was lying at his feet and when he called her name late in the evening, she did not respond as normal. He bent down and noticed her eyes were glazed. Within half an hour she was in the vets and they discovered she was close to death and they told my husband if she had been brought in a couple of hours later she would not have made it. She had punctured her stomach with a twig she had picked up and chewed. They had to operate immediately to try and save her. When I arrived home, Peter was sitting in the lounge looking very anxious. We sat up until 3am waiting for the vet's 'phone call. She made it through the operation but it was touch and go for a couple of days. However she made a complete recovery thank goodness. I often think, what would have happened if I had not gone out that evening (something I rarely did). Rosie would have gone in to her bed that night and would have died there. But it was not meant to happen that way and I feel the same about your situation. You were meant to be by his side during this time, so no guilt trip taking him to Oz!

Guest Alexxxxx

Aww I couldnt imagine what you could possibly be going through. Just the thought of my cat being ill gets me upset. But you really shouldnt feel guilty. As they said, anything such as being over excited or hot could bring it on so if you had left him here, it would have happened anyway and he might not have been with someone that has dealt with it as strongly as you so he's lucky to have you. I hope the op goes well and he gets well fast and enjoys what you and your family are enjoying in Aus!

Guest Jen and Rob

Thank you all for your kind comments and support :-))

Josh hasn't had his op yet - I had to rearrange it as he got a bad upset stomach last week (on top of everything else!) which lasted several days. He goes for it on Tuesday this week. Meanwhile, he's settled back in with us and now seems far less stressed. We're keeping him very cool and calm so no more attacks thank god.

3 Piccos - think you're right, that things do happen for a reason. Glad fate was smiling when Rosie needed you. Sue - so sorry to hear about Daisy.

Jenny xx

Guest Kmurphy

I do feel sorry for you.. and so hope all turns out well xxxx.Our dog died ( stoke) last October we had our visa approved in the March he was nearly 15 years old and would never of made the flight and it was for been so hard packing the house around him................ it was like he knew and made it much more easy for us... leaving uk 6 Nov.... been a very emotional..

Guest peacock

Fingers crossed for Joshs op on Tuesday, he will be far less stressed now with his family around him which will help him recover and settle down a lot quicker.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jenny

How is Josh today, hope he is feeling better. Don't ever feel guilty, you have always been there for him and are there now when he needs you, he is one lucky dog to have an owner like you.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

I do feel sorry for you.. and so hope all turns out well xxxx.Our dog died ( stoke) last October we had our visa approved in the March he was nearly 15 years old and would never of made the flight and it was for been so hard packing the house around him................ it was like he knew and made it much more easy for us... leaving uk 6 Nov.... been a very emotional..

I am so sorry to hear about your dog dying, but I think you are right, he probably would not have made it through the journey and the quarantine. Thank goodness he passed whilst still in his own home with his family. I wish you and your family the very best of luck in your new life. We fly out on 30 November. Rosie our border collie flies out on 29 November! We have jthis minute just returned from Edinburgh. We had to present ourselves in person at the Australian Commission to register our application for our Australian passports. We should have them in 10 days.

Guest Kmurphy

Thank you for your good wishes.... true he had us all there for him, its was only yesterday we took his ashes to his park so he can run free ... the sun was shining to.... and a few (well lots) tears.....

All the very best with your move and a big kiss for Roise..... Karen

Guest Jen and Rob

Well, went up to Perth yesterday for Josh to have the op but the consultant didn't believe it was laryngeal paralysis as his breathing's settled down so well now he's back with us. So, to cut a long story short, she decided to do all the tests again including the endoscopy. This couldn't be done till 3pm so an op yesterday was out of the question. Anyway the endoscopy showed he definitely does have laryngeal paralysis but she said that we should think carefully about having the op as it has quite a few risks and he seems to be managing quite successfully now he's home. She reckoned that even with the op he'd still have to be severely restricted in what he could do. I asked her what she would do if it were her dog. She of course wouldn't be drawn into helping me decide but the way she spoke seemed to suggest that she wouldn't put him through it simply because careful management will probably be just as effective. So, we've provisionally booked him in for next Wednesday now and have a week to think about it in. To be honest, it'd be a relief not to have to put him through it.

Best wishes to those of you who're flying out shortly, I'm sure you'll love it!

Jenny xx

What a horrible decision to have to make. If it was Rosie I think I would opt to making sure she is in a relaxed and calm environment. The vet has said that vigilance will still be needed should Josh survive the operation, so why put him through the risky procedure. I know that you love him to bits and you will make the right decision for him. I wish you all the very best.

Guest Jen and Rob
What a horrible decision to have to make. If it was Rosie I think I would opt to making sure she is in a relaxed and calm environment. The vet has said that vigilance will still be needed should Josh survive the operation, so why put him through the risky procedure. I know that you love him to bits and you will make the right decision for him. I wish you all the very best.

Thank you, 3 Piccos. It is a horrible decision, but we've finally made up our minds not to proceed with the op. He's 13 so we've decided to just let him be. I feel a lot better about it now, have come to accept that he won't be here forever and just want him to enjoy whatever he has left as best he can. So, we're simply going to continue keeping him very calm, cool and fussed over - seems to work well for him. xxx:hug:xxx

Archived