Singapore Airlines Baggage allowance

ms2oz

Anyone with experience of getting extra baggage allowance from Singapore Airlines? They told us to send an email with copies of our visa, which we have done, but their reply says we still have to get the visas looked at when we check in, so does not give us a definitive answer. Obviously we do not want to risk incurring fees for extra baggage and wondered how anyone else has dealt with this?

Thanks

Thank you for your email.

Kindly note, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger). This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia and the double baggage will be granted after, the visa has been verified by our staff at the check-in counter on the day of your departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

• the total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances
  • no single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

Please revert to us with your meal preference due to dietary or religious reasons if any.

Hope this resolves your query.

Yours Sincerely,

I had the same response, will let you know how I get on in three weeks time.

Guest colette12

Hi...

Yeah just everything Peach said and to add... personally we had no probs at all ... we were even allowed the double baggage allowance for both kids...

Guest juliemtaylor

we used them in Feb this year and did the emailed visas etc before we flew and had no probs at Heathrow with the double allowance as we were on a one way flight never validated before and permanent visas. Warning though, if you are doing a stopover on the way make sure you email them before you go where you are stopping over and flight details to ensure you get the allowance for all the flights to Oz. We stayed in Singapore for 3 nights and they checked our paperwork when we left there for Oz loads before we were allowed on.

Julie x

We had the same email from Singapore airlines, we printed it and took it to the airport and had no problems at all with getting our extra baggage allowance. We had a 3 day stopover en route and I'm sure we advised them of that in advance. As I say, no problems at all very efficient service. Good luck !!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone clarify if this allowance is granted on _any_ flight you have booked (ie the cheap online ones too), or do you have to get this done when booking the flight and then get charged for this extra luggage allowance?

I tried with Quantas and their ticket is just double as expensive as the online one, so there's really no point in doing that. Obviously we want the cheap flight & additional allowance, is that possible at all?

Can anyone clarify if this allowance is granted on _any_ flight you have booked (ie the cheap online ones too), or do you have to get this done when booking the flight and then get charged for this extra luggage allowance?

I tried with Quantas and their ticket is just double as expensive as the online one, so there's really no point in doing that. Obviously we want the cheap flight & additional allowance, is that possible at all?

Hi

We booked our flights for Feb 2011 through IOM Australia to get our extra baggage allowance and concessional flights with Emirates. As we had already validated our visas we didn't qualify for the extra baggage with Singapore Airlines.

Might be worth getting a price off them - worked out a substantial amount cheaper with 40kgs!

Guest AntNStephie

Helloo.. just a quick bit of advice as i was in the same situation a few months back. We flew out on a 457 work sponser visa and tried booking extra weight allowance with Singapore/Cathy Pacific/Thai Airlines. We booked the cheapest one way ticket we could find however then realised that you have to book a specific class/fare to get the extra weight allowance. It's a con really as like someone above mentioned the prices were over double when i called back to check. If an airline says you can have it make sure you get it in writing !!

good luck :)

Archived