State Migration Plans and planning levels...

George Lombard

Off list nomination is 100 places for ACT.

The 700 places I would think is for people who have lodged and already gained SS.

That's what it seems like to me.

For example:

mrs smith would like to emigrate to ACT. She is a hairdresser,if hairdressers aren't on ACT SMP she maybe considered for an off list nomination if spaces are available.

I should hope that people already with SS with no job on SMP should be in one of those 700 places and not classed as off list?!

I hope this makes sense! It does in my frizzled mind! Lol

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 700 places I would think is for people who have lodged and already gained SS.

For example:

mrs smith would like to emigrate to ACT. She is a hairdresser,if hairdressers aren't on ACT SMP she maybe considered for an off list nomination if spaces are available.

I should hope that people already with SS with no job on SMP should be in one of those 700 places and not classed as off list?!

Thanks Jodie. That's what I am hoping for anyway.

Claire

Thanks for posting this Suzanne. Sorry if I am being daft but does the 700 nominations approved mean sponsored applicants (like you, me, ozzieland, etc.) and not 700 off-list nominations approved? What is your take on this.

I am inclined to believe the 700 means already sponsored and not 700 off-list but I can't help wondering if I am reading this right.

If this is the case then good news for us if they have 1750 places and only 700 already sponsored.

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire

Im not too sure to be honest but if I was to read between the lines I am assuming that it would mean sponsorships that have already been approved - if this is the case then we are in a good position. I would imagine that the additional places are for the 2010/2011 program year but this is only me speculating. I have got on to my agent to reconfirm the numbers and what this means for us so will let you know once I get some info back.

Cheers

Suzanne

Hi Claire

700 seems a big figuer for off list and states have coninuosly said they will push for all SS applicants to be included.

A glimmer of hope ?:wacko:

There are 100 offlist places

"The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or caped and ceased."

Yep I agree Jodie, last year there were 500 off list places but ACT have already said 100 for this year. So 700 is probably everyone they have sponsored so far.

I mailed my agent today and they have said nothing coming out of WA yet and to keep checking the website.

Back to limbo land x

For example:

There are 100 offlist places

"The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or caped and ceased."

I'm sorry, but I have been confused with the terms, new SMP, off list nominations and nomination approved. :confused:

Can someone help to explain?

Thank you in advance. :notworthy:

An inquiry email to QLD

Dear Sir

Having seen your website, I am keen to apply for Queensland sponsorship.

I am xxxxxx Engineer . My question is that if I am successful in gaining sponsorship from Queensland and lodge my application with DIAC and if my occupation does not appear in SMP, then what will happen for my visa application with DIAC ?

Will it be capped or it will be processed ?

QLD responsded

Hi

If we nominate you, and the occupation does not appear on the SMP, DIAC will still process but at a lower priority. However, you can be reasonably sure that your occupation will appear on our SMP.

Regards

I'm sorry, but I have been confused with the terms, new SMP, off list nominations and nomination approved. :confused:

Can someone help to explain?

Thank you in advance. :notworthy:

An off list nomination is one that the state can give to an individual without it being an occupation on the new State Migration Plan

Nominations approved are those who have already been granted SS

Cheers

Suzanne

If there were 700 off-list places last year for the ACT and 100 this year then that would suggest a major scaling back of the state sponsorship programme.

To give a sense of scale there are approximately 147,000 applicants in DIAC's processing queue. (From here.) This includes 17,594 cooks and hairdressers, which would take up around 75% of this year's State Sponsorship allocation (of 23,000) on their own.

My guess is that the occupations in the SMPs are going to be largely based around the old CSL, with a few local requirements thrown in. I think that they are going to be heavily oversubscribed and this will let the States be very choosy.

Hi Claire

Im not too sure to be honest but if I was to read between the lines I am assuming that it would mean sponsorships that have already been approved - if this is the case then we are in a good position. I would imagine that the additional places are for the 2010/2011 program year but this is only me speculating. I have got on to my agent to reconfirm the numbers and what this means for us so will let you know once I get some info back.

Cheers

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne.

If there were 700 off-list places last year for the ACT and 100 this year then that would suggest a major scaling back of the state sponsorship programme.

To give a sense of scale there are approximately 147,000 applicants in DIAC's processing queue. (From here.) This includes 17,594 cooks and hairdressers, which would take up around 75% of this year's State Sponsorship allocation (of 23,000) on their own.

My guess is that the occupations in the SMPs are going to be largely based around the old CSL, with a few local requirements thrown in. I think that they are going to be heavily oversubscribed and this will let the States be very choosy.

Hi,

By those stats I think each occupation will have a limit per year. I knew the amount of applicants in the system but the amount of hairdressers and cooks. Geez!

Because DIAC are little monkeys I think they may treat those with SS sat in cat 3 and cat 4 differently. I know it isn't right but it is DIAC. It's just a thought and I wonder whether others have thought the same?

The coggs in my mind have been on overtime!

Hi Guys

I have just heard from our migration agent regarding the SMP's and numbers for ACT:

Having attended the MIA National Conference on Friday, the States are hoping they will be released before the end of this year.

The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or caped and ceased.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne

I hope i have not caused too much confusion today with my questions about nominations / off-list nominations.

However, I have just been having a look on the ACT site and they do actually refer to their sponsorship applications as Nominations (whereas I thought by Nomination they meant off-list). Should have looked at that earlier!!

So now I feel confident that the 700 nominations approved are actually just normal cat3 and cat4 state sponsored approved applicants and not some 700 off-list nominated applicants as that would probably be mad to have that many (when you think WA only have 500).

That is what I am happy to believe anyway for today, until further news.....:biggrin:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

By those stats I think each occupation will have a limit per year. I knew the amount of applicants in the system but the amount of hairdressers and cooks. Geez!

Because DIAC are little monkeys I think they may treat those with SS sat in cat 3 and cat 4 differently. I know it isn't right but it is DIAC. It's just a thought and I wonder whether others have thought the same?

The coggs in my mind have been on overtime!

Hi Jools

I have very similar suspicions.

I think the story with the ACT is likely to be as follows:-

1. They can sponsor 1750 people under their new SMP.

2. They can sponsor 100 people for "off-list" nominations under their SMP (reduced from 500 off list nominations with the old type of State sponsorship.) So:-

• 2.1: Is it 1750 + 100 more off-list or is it 1650 + 100 off-list?

• 2.2: Has the Minister tried to reduce the nominations from Cat 4 into being "off-list nominations?"

3. ACT say that they have sponsored 700 people so far and that they only have 1050 more sponsorships to offer. What does that mean?

3.1: When does this 700 start from?

3.2: How many of this 700 have not yet made visa applications?

3.2: How many of this 700 are off-list nominations?

4. What are the plans for the people who are already sponsored by the ACT, have already made visa applications but those applications have not yet been processed?

5. In short, was applying for the old type of State sponsorship and then applying for visas nothing more than a complete waste of everyone's time and money? If yes, how could the ACT justify keeping the money that was paid to them in good faith?

I agree that the State Governments knew nothing about the SMP idea before 8th Feb 2010. However since then, plenty of discussions have been going on between DIAC and the State Governments. It has suited the Minister for DIAC to hide all these negotiations behind MoUs - BUT Evans might have tried to be a bit too clever for his own ill-educated good. MoUs can be produced in Court and if somebody demands the production of the relevant MoU then it definitely will be produced and the Court will not sort it out in camera, either.

I really wonder whether, in over-complicating the whole thing in the way that he undoubtedly has, Evans has simply caused a monumental litigation costs bill to mount up? Attempts at micro-managing anything usually come at a hefty price. The price is usually paid via the bill for the ensuing litigation.

In my observation, an obsession with micro-management enriches litigation lawyers and improves their own lives immensely thereby. I strongly doubt whether it really enriches anyone else, either financially or emotionally.

Cheers

Gill

The starting point is the table of planning levels at Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics . There will be 61,700 general skilled migration visa grants in 2010/11. Of these, 23,000 are allocated to state sponsored migration and 35,200 to skilled independent applicants. A further 3,500 people are anticipated under the family sponsored stream.

For priority group 4, although there is an allocation under the GSM program for family sponsored cases, it's hard to see that the specified allocation will make much of an impact as there are as many as 40,000 applicants in this group.

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing the above information in your post. I was hoping to get a feel for where the family sponsored (475) might be up to.

Would I be right in assuming these would be processed in order of application date? Out of the estimated 40000 applicants in this group, does anyone have any idea how many of these were lodged before October 2008. Do you think someone who lodged two years ago would have any chance of being assessed this programme year?

Many thanks, Kazza

An off list nomination is one that the state can give to an individual without it being an occupation on the new State Migration Plan

Nominations approved are those who have already been granted SS

Cheers

Suzanne

Thank you so much Suzanne, I understand it now.. :biggrin:

Guest triumph01

Can someone highlight what would be the destiny of people having SS and applied under 2231-79(with Specialization) having their CO assigned Prior to July 19th. Currently i fall in Cat 4.

DIAC has announced while introducing changes that they will be treated separately, but how and in which order?

Guest Lankan1
An inquiry email to QLD

Dear Sir

Having seen your website, I am keen to apply for Queensland sponsorship.

I am xxxxxx Engineer . My question is that if I am successful in gaining sponsorship from Queensland and lodge my application with DIAC and if my occupation does not appear in SMP, then what will happen for my visa application with DIAC ?

Will it be capped or it will be processed ?

QLD responsded

Hi

If we nominate you, and the occupation does not appear on the SMP, DIAC will still process but at a lower priority. However, you can be reasonably sure that your occupation will appear on our SMP.

Regards

I got following response from SA to a query similar to above

Dear xxxxx

In response to your e-mail,

when the SMP is implemented if your occupation is on the list your application will receive priory processing by DIAC. There is no set date for when the SMP will be implemented. Please monitor the Immigration SA website for updated information:

State sponsorship requirements: South Australia

Please also visit the DIAC website regarding priority processing:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

If your occupation is not on the list your application will still be in the DIAC processing pipeline and as Immigration SA is not involved in the visa processing system any queries regarding your visa application and processing times should be directed to DIAC.

Regards

Program Support Officer, General Skilled Migration

International Market Development - Migration

Department of Trade and Economic Development

Guest Taylor72
Unfortunately the Minister did not use his opportunity on Friday to announce the SMPs at the MIA National Conference, but some information about developments is now available.

The starting point is the table of planning levels at Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics . There will be 61,700 general skilled migration visa grants in 2010/11. Of these, 23,000 are allocated to state sponsored migration and 35,200 to skilled independent applicants. A further 3,500 people are anticipated under the family sponsored stream.

Talking to states and DIAC people at the conference it seems that the 23,000 planning level on state sponsorship is effectively a cap, ie if they can't reach you in the current program year then it will need to be the next one, or the one after that. This will be made more complex by planning levels for particular occupations in particular state migration plans.

Anecdotally, some states are already highly oversubscribed even though the number of state sponsored visas available has increased dramatically. This may mean that a longer wait is involved for most of those seeking state sponsorship. There are of course already longer waits for everyone else and this form of management may at least allow some sort of orderly progression for all those who fit within DIAC priority groups 1, 2 and 3. Priority groups are explained at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing-14-july-2010.pdf . For priority group 4, although there is an allocation under the GSM program for family sponsored cases, it's hard to see that the specified allocation will make much of an impact as there are as many as 40,000 applicants in this group.

On the timing of the GSMs it seems that 1 November is a popular choice but there are still those who expect it earlier. DIAC of course can't say anything on this.

More to come I hope.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Just wondering !! Im a nurse who has QLD state sponsorship and visa 176 applied for on 22/07/10. What will happen to those like myself once the smp list is announced?? If we continue to be on the smp will we move into the priority 2 with them or stay in priority 3 like present? I think we picked the worst time to apply:arghh: as my friends move was so much smoother .

Hi Guys

I got a response from my agent as regards the numbers for ACT on the SMP:

This was the original email:

"The ACT has 1750 places available under the new SMP, of this number 100 will be taken for off list nominations. There are already 700 Nominations approved which will also be deducted from this number. Once the quotas are filled by visa grants it is not yet know what will happen to the applications which have not been finalized in that Financial Year i.e. whether they will be queued and carried forward to the next financial year or capped and ceased"

My agent has advised me that the 700 nominations already approved are those who have been granted SS already and has confirmed that there are an additional 950 places. I asked the question:

" so in affect that means there are 950 places available in the ACT"

and the response I received was:

"Correct, your Nomination is already approved but not lodged to DIAC as we are awaiting the SMPs"

from this I presume as our SS has been approved we are in this 700 already approved category providing our occupation is on the SMP but I better ask the question just to be really clear about this.

Cheers

Suzanne

And thats the door closong again !!

So our thoughts that all sponsored might get included is not correct and it would only be if the job is on SMP that the approval will continue.

Thanks for the news Suzzanne at least things seem clearer

And thats the door closong again !!

So our thoughts that all sponsored might get included is not correct and it would only be if the job is on SMP that the approval will continue.

Thanks for the news Suzzanne at least things seem clearer

Well thats my perception of it but I have gone back to my agent and asked is that what she means. From where I am standing now it looks as if only those with SS already approved and on the SMP will be category 2.

Cheers

Suzanne

Archived