Are you going back????

Guest LongwayDown

Guest LongwayDown

This is for Chris955.

I was just on your update thread but it seems to be getting a bit full so ill post here.

Are you back in Oz yet? If so when will you be making a decision on returning for good or not. I must say i was impressed with the pictures. However i did see a lot of dark clouds in the background!

Did you like the change in climate after living in Brisbane for so long????

Guest chris955

Hi, still here until the weekend and then fly 'home'. The grey clouds haven't bothered me in the slightest, can't say I noticed them really. Funny thing is for the 3 weeks I have been here the weather has been good probably 80% of the time, it's raining today and it rained on Wednesday. Back in Brisbane the kids have been on holidays for 2 weeks and it has rained almost every day.

Guest Guest26012
Hi, still here until the weekend and then fly 'home'. The grey clouds haven't bothered me in the slightest, can't say I noticed them really. Funny thing is for the 3 weeks I have been here the weather has been good probably 80% of the time, it's raining today and it rained on Wednesday. Back in Brisbane the kids have been on holidays for 2 weeks and it has rained almost every day.

Hear weather been ok in uk! Some friends of ours got back from a visit to uk last week! Said weather was mostly dry but dull! Well we got lovely weather in Perth! No rain for the forseeable future! :biggrin:

Guest chris955

Yeah it's been really nice, a couple of days when it was a bit wet but nothing really. Today has been wet all day but there's more to life than the weather. I had a beautiful pub meal today, mmmmmmm.

Guest Guest26012
Yeah it's been really nice, a couple of days when it was a bit wet but nothing really. Today has been wet all day but there's more to life than the weather. I had a beautiful pub meal today, mmmmmmm.

Disagree with you that theres more to life than weather! I love the coolish winters here, the hot summers. The weather in the uk depressed me! Not for everyone, i know, but sunshine always makes me feel happy! Lovely pub meals in uk, i agree! We went to swan valley wineries last week and had a gorgeous pub lunch set amongst beautiful countryside! Its nice to hear from people that have gone back to the uk for a visit! We went back last year and had lotsa lovely pub lunches that oz could neva do! Carveries to die for! Buffet chinese, curries! But for us, its beta here! Everyone to their own! Glad u havin a good time!

Guest chris955

You honestly think the weather is the most important thing in life ? :elvis:

I know many think it is important but to put it above anything else is a new one on me. :biggrin:

Hear weather been ok in uk! Some friends of ours got back from a visit to uk last week! Said weather was mostly dry but dull! Well we got lovely weather in Perth! No rain for the forseeable future! :biggrin:
\

It might be lovely for some, but we desperately need the rain.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Disagree with you that theres more to life than weather! I love the coolish winters here, the hot summers. The weather in the uk depressed me! Not for everyone, i know, but sunshine always makes me feel happy! Lovely pub meals in uk, i agree! We went to swan valley wineries last week and had a gorgeous pub lunch set amongst beautiful countryside! Its nice to hear from people that have gone back to the uk for a visit! We went back last year and had lotsa lovely pub lunches that oz could neva do! Carveries to die for! Buffet chinese, curries! But for us, its beta here! Everyone to their own! Glad u havin a good time!

The weather depresses everyone here in the uk and at the PIO meet ups that i've been to it was one of the main reasons why people wanted to emigrate. The weather has been better this year, but better than our usual rubbish non summers isn't saying much and...................... we are just starting our 7 months long horrible freezing winter. If someone likes it like this, its their choice, but i have yet to meet anyone in the uk that likes the uk' winters.

Guest chris955

Yes we went through probably 4 or 5 years with little rain in SE Queensland and it got desperate, people were dancing in the streets when it finally broke a little.

\

It might be lovely for some, but we desperately need the rain.

What I don't understand is, you say your kids aren't really sports minded but spend a lot of time in doors due to the heat (I think I've read that right???) but when they lived in the UK the rain never bothered them and they were always out...... but yet in Qld it's been raining so the kids have been stuck in doors making life a little stressful for your wife (That I can understand LOL)

Now is rain not rain? Or is the UK rain better somehow?

Seems to me your rose tinted spectacles are well and truely planted on

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You have now!

Congratulations, you are the first person i have ever met that likes the long horrible cold wet freezing winters here in the uk, i knew there would be one person somewhere.

Each to their own, its not something to argue about, not that you are arguing:laugh:

I bloody well hate our weather, its done nothing but piss down all day giving me the right hump, i do not usually moan about anything :shocked: but grey drizzely ****e weather for the next 6 months is not exactly a nice thought:cry:. Give me the sun any day of the week:cool:.

Guest valleylass

Weather of any sort does not really bother me but on balance I'd rather be too cold than too hot; I've never really understood that Seasonal Affective Disorder. What I mean by that is I can see how greyness can affect people it just doesn't affect me. I absolutely love snow and I suppose I don't stay inside as a consequence of not disliking the winter. I run in all kinds of weather - the only thing to stop me is ice as it's dangerous.

I bloody well hate our weather, its done nothing but piss down all day giving me the right hump, i do not usually moan about anything :shocked: but grey drizzely ****e weather for the next 6 months is not exactly a nice thought:cry:. Give me the sun any day of the week:cool:.

Sh7t sorry, i meant this post to go on pablos weather thread:policeman:

Guest valleylass

Sorry andrew posted just after you! Not a response to what you were saying but a reply to Ropey Hoff. You are perfectly entitled to have the right hump about the drizzle, I'm off out in my trainers to run in it (more oxygen in the air!)

Guest chris955

That's why it is important not to read too much into what isn't there :wink:

My wife has the kids on her own for the whole school holiday, she had planned on taking them places but can't because of the weather. Simple really. :biggrin:

My kids have never lived in the UK.

What I don't understand is, you say your kids aren't really sports minded but spend a lot of time in doors due to the heat (I think I've read that right???) but when they lived in the UK the rain never bothered them and they were always out...... but yet in Qld it's been raining so the kids have been stuck in doors making life a little stressful for your wife (That I can understand LOL)

Now is rain not rain? Or is the UK rain better somehow?

Seems to me your rose tinted spectacles are well and truely planted on

Yeah, I dont get the "move to the other side of the world for the better weather" thing either (and that doesnt really account for the Poms who move to Canada - better weather my foot!)

I was in UK in Feb/Mar this year and I have a whole stack of photos and in almost all of them the sky was essentially blue - apart from the Sunday in Yorkshire when it snowed of course. I was actually quite surprised when I looked at them because I dont remember it having been blue quite so much (and I think that may be part of the British psyche, they EXPECT it to be grey and dont notice when it is blue with fluffy clouds!) but whatever the weather it wasnt as unpleasant as winter in Canberra was this year, nor as unpleasant as the height of summer where I keep the blinds drawn and stay inside to manage the heat. When I went back to UK in Feb I bought a really nice down jacket to keep me warm - I took it out of its stuff bag and put it in the boot of the car and never actually needed to wear it so I left it with my parents when I departed. I wished that I hadnt pretty much all winter here this year!!! Ah well, it will be there for me in a fortnight and I will see if I need it (and beanie and gloves)

And the drought - living in one is no joke and when you scour the BOM site for patches of blue and hope they are heading your way, you know you have real problems with the weather. Bring on the rain I say and let's have some green grass for a change (except in N Qld of course where they probably dont want any more!)

The weather depresses everyone here in the uk and at the PIO meet ups that i've been to it was one of the main reasons why people wanted to emigrate. The weather has been better this year, but better than our usual rubbish non summers isn't saying much and...................... we are just starting our 7 months long horrible freezing winter. If someone likes it like this, its their choice, but i have yet to meet anyone in the uk that likes the uk' winters.

I used to feel the same way about the uk weather until I had actually lived in Oz, now I'm just not so obsessed about the weather because I now know that there are definitely more important things in life. I do love sunshine, warmth etc but now the thought of a uk winter and scraping the car windscreen doesn't worry me anymore because other things that we have here (family) make up for it. I did love Australia though and I'm definitely not agaisnt Australia and if things had worked out differently for us we may have gone back but now my priorities are different.

A lot of people seem to go back to the UK because their children do not settle in the new country, parents like it, but for the children they return.

So Chris just a question what if your children do not like it in the UK will you then return to Aus for them? You say they have never lived there so it will be a big upheaval for them.

That's why it is important not to read too much into what isn't there :wink:

My wife has the kids on her own for the whole school holiday, she had planned on taking them places but can't because of the weather. Simple really. :biggrin:

My kids have never lived in the UK.

???? There has been one day of non stop rain in last 2 weeks ( school holidays) otherwise showers on Gold Coast with some sunshine in between. My kids have been to beach and used the pool My son was going to WET n 'Wild with mates the only thing that stopped him was stitches from skateboarding. If your wife is struggling with kids in this sort of weather in Aus then she will certainly suffer in the UK when you combine cold with wet weather in at least 2 half terms and 2 holidays when the weather is unreliable. Relentless cold and wet weather make you go stir crazy, indoor play places are packed (often dirty and expensive) and all you can do at your local pool is bob up and down as they get crowded.

Guest Guest26012

I know many think it is important but to put it above anything else is a new one on me. :biggrin:

I said i disagree with you that theres more to life than weather!! I didnt say that it was the most important thing in life! And i never said i put it above all else :mad: What i was trying to say was the weather can play a big part in peoples lives, not yours, but some people, including me, are influenced in their moods by the weather! Therefore the weather has a big impact upon their lives. You are entitled to beef up the uk, thats your choice, i loved the uk when i lived there, but my views regarding weather etc are mine, dont feel that you have to jump on them! Enjoy!

My theory is that because you have lived in a lovely climate for a few years you are topped up on the weather front - you dont really think about it and it is no longer your top priority and your family and your roots rise up to top priority. But you go back to bad weather and after a few years you are drained of your lovely weather store and suddenly it becomes top priority again and your family and your roots are demoted and that's when the ping ponging starts! (from a professional ping ponger!!)

There is no perfect place - there is no perfect answer! You have to either follow your dream or make a decision to be content with what you have and make the best of it - most people on PIO are of the personality where they will go for it - they have a wander lust but if you stay put and dont go for it - you will just live a different life be no worse off in the long run (in my view!). We gotta stop thinking the grass is greener .....

:confused:

I used to moan about the weather in the UK all the time along with most people - (although that wasn't a factor in our move to Oz). Moving to Oz made me realise that the weather is of such little importance to me as Oz offered nothing else for us. Since returning to the UK I really couldn't care what the weather does.... I'm sure I'll start to moan again in time but never again will I take for granted what the UK has to offer.

Guest chris955

Although nobody has called me mad for wanting to come back here a few have said 'you must be missing the weather back home ?'. Since being here it has rained I think 3 days, I spoke to my wife this morning and she said during the 2 weeks school holidays it HASN'T rained for 2 days. I long ago realised that the weather is not the be all and end all, there are far more important things. As you say if we make it back to the UK we will probably moan about it but no more than our Aussie friends moan about the heat and humidity in Brisbane I suspect.

Archived