Are you going back????

Guest LongwayDown

Note you have not answered my query whether you will make your children stay in UK if they do not like it Chris. A lot return to UK for this reason.

As for the weather, if you work inside its fine, its when you work outside weather becomes a problem. My friends lived in Canada and they both liked it but they left and came to Aus because of the weather, husband worked outside. Same goes for the UK

Easy to sit inside with the central heating blasting in an office, shopping centre or anywhere indoors but if you are a linesman or or trades person climbing around in the cold in the middle of the night is no fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Disagree with you that theres more to life than weather! I love the coolish winters here, the hot summers. The weather in the uk depressed me! Not for everyone, i know, but sunshine always makes me feel happy! Lovely pub meals in uk, i agree! We went to swan valley wineries last week and had a gorgeous pub lunch set amongst beautiful countryside! Its nice to hear from people that have gone back to the uk for a visit! We went back last year and had lotsa lovely pub lunches that oz could neva do! Carveries to die for! Buffet chinese, curries! But for us, its beta here! Everyone to their own! Glad u havin a good time!

Totaly agree with Chris there's more to life than the weather,at least haveing a pub meal in the UK you know that you are at home,and that you have no worries of being accepted,unlike Australia where poms are not.And never will be, to the average Aussie,your branded a whingeing pom,and there to be ridiculed,If you have a realy thick skin,i suppose you can put up with it,and some say, they haven't even noticed any anti pom.It's all just banter.If you can live with it,all the best.Me i'd rather be in my own country warts and all.A Aussie once said to me,you Scots a ok,but them poms here are just like the Paki's in the uk.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Come back home then if you don't like it, making sweeping statements are just laughable, if one person has a bad experience it doesn't mean everyone has the same experience and Australia is a big place you know, its not the same everywhere. The weather for others is a big factor, if your not bothered about nice weather then the uk is great, but some of us want a summer.

Totaly agree with Chris there's more to life than the weather,at least haveing a pub meal in the UK you know that you are at home,and that you have no worries of being accepted,unlike Australia where poms are not.And never will be, to the average Aussie,your branded a whingeing pom,and there to be ridiculed,If you have a realy thick skin,i suppose you can put up with it,and some say, they haven't even noticed any anti pom.It's all just banter.If you can live with it,all the best.Me i'd rather be in my own country warts and all.A Aussie once said to me,you Scots a ok,but them poms here are just like the Paki's in the uk.

Zack, people who make ignorant comments like the one on the last line above, most probably they haven't even been to the UK, they are just plain ignorant.

I don't really know where to start with this one!!!!!

Being accepted, you feel accepted because you are home, you are no different to anyone else so.... Just read some threads on PIO to see how accepting you Brits are of "others" who come to these shores.

You say POMS are not accepted in Australia...... Seems Australia's first white settlers were from the UK, so what ever hatred is bread into the New Australians comes from POM's themselves :wacko: Or maybe it could just be you are reading to much into things.

You left the UK for your own reasons at least being in Australia has allowed you to appreicate your own country.

Guest guest30038
A Aussie once said to me,you Scots a ok,but them poms here are just like the Paki's in the uk.

I find that a very strange statement? :confused: In my experience of 15 yrs here I haven't met one Aussie who even knows that there is a "Paki problem" (for want of a better phrase) in the UK. OTOH, I've met countless Poms, many of whom have been here for years, who somehow, always manage to swing any conversation about the UK around to the UK's immigration or social welfare policies/problems. It doesn't happen here on PIO though, of course. :goofy: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest LongwayDown
Although nobody has called me mad for wanting to come back here a few have said 'you must be missing the weather back home ?'. Since being here it has rained I think 3 days, I spoke to my wife this morning and she said during the 2 weeks school holidays it HASN'T rained for 2 days. I long ago realised that the weather is not the be all and end all, there are far more important things. As you say if we make it back to the UK we will probably moan about it but no more than our Aussie friends moan about the heat and humidity in Brisbane I suspect.

Its very interesting you make that point Chris and i agree with you 100%.

Someone the other day was arguing with me about weather being the b all and end all. Why dont you move to Queensland then i asked him, the weather is far better than Sydney? Im happy here he replied.

Obviously the weather was lower down on his priority list than he even thought.

Why has Queensland got a lower population than NSW and VIC??

Answers on a postcard please...........................

Archived