How I watch BBC Iplayer in Australia

ozziepom

Guest tomsmith
If you mean its slow in that it takes a long time to start playing with the spinning circle I get that too, I think its that the PS3 buffers quite a bit of data before it starts playing

Ahhh - okay.. that makes sense! Yes... it does eventually play...

Hopefully, fingers crossed, Sony will introduce the option to add a username and password to the proxy settings on the console itself... would save so much trouble!

Thanks again so much for your assistance with this. Really is most appreciated!

Guest tomsmith
Guys, Any thoughts on that link I posted.

Does this do the same thing ?

I've heard it works from some of the forum posts around the web...but don't have a PC so cannot test it... it does throw advertisements at you I hear... and isn't always reliable... but hey - free is good!

Ahhh - okay.. that makes sense! Yes... it does eventually play...

Hopefully, fingers crossed, Sony will introduce the option to add a username and password to the proxy settings on the console itself... would save so much trouble!

Thanks again so much for your assistance with this. Really is most appreciated!

No problem, I did the initial post because I found it worked well and thought others may find it useful.

In terms of speed just occasionally progs do start playing almost immediately, think its down to how busy the VPN provider is. I've done speed tests and I'm getting about 1.2Mbps through the VPN and over 5 direct to my ISP, once playing its usually enough to see the whole show without issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this is still an active post but I am struggling to understand.

I have set up the paid hidemyip can watch bbc iplayer on the computer now but how do I get the PS3 to play

I am on a PC and right now I really am not sure how all this transparent proxy stuff works, do i have to run my computer to run the iplayer in the PS3?

anyone that has done this using a PC your help will be much appriciated, I am also runing through a cable for the iplayer on my computer as dont have wireless modem

many thanks in advance

Hi,

Thought this may be of help to someone, some technology is involved but I've tried to keep it as simple as possible so non IT folk could maybe get a nerdy friend to help set it up.

Required:

1) A proxy account

2) A games console (I use a PS3 but a Wii, xbox360 or media client should work too)

3) That the games console to be connected to the internet

4) A PC or Mac on the same network as the console

Iplayer (and others) figure out where you are by looking at your IP address, which is given to you by your internet provider and is country specific. Its possible to present a different IP address to them (like one in the UK) by using a 'proxy'. Free proxies are available but none I tried worked very well and I ended up paying US$6 per month for a commercial one, I chose hideIPvpn and its working well but others are available and may be cheaper, as we watch as much on iplayer as we do Foxtel it seems well worth it, I'll pare my foxtel account to the minimum as soon as I can.

So, you have a proxy account, next step is to test iPlayer works through it via your PC (or Mac in my case), install firefox and then add the Foxyproxy extension, configure your UK based proxy account into it and try iPlayer.

Once this is working the next step is to get this working through your TV.

First you need to install a transparent proxy on your PC, I started out using 'SquidMan' which is a graphical frontend to the Squid proxy. Its job is to set up a passthrough to your proxy account, I needed it because although the PS3 can be directly pointed at a proxy it cant supply login/password details to the proxy (I'm now just running Squid on my NAS but thats another story).

Once the transparent proxy is working, (test with foxyproxy from firefox), point your consoles internet connection at the proxy server running on the PC/Mac (or NAS) i.e. the IP address of the PC and the port the proxy is running on.

The console should then be able to play iplayer direct to your TV over the internet, via your local proxy server and your proxy account.

I've been using this for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. I've also started streaming Spotify to my surround sound system but that needs a few more steps too, which I'll go through if anyone is interested (paid software involved).

Hope this hels, feel free to ask questions (and yes, I already know I'm a sad git or worse).

OzP

I dont know if this is still an active post but I am struggling to understand.

I have set up the paid hidemyip can watch bbc iplayer on the computer now but how do I get the PS3 to play

I am on a PC and right now I really am not sure how all this transparent proxy stuff works, do i have to run my computer to run the iplayer in the PS3?

anyone that has done this using a PC your help will be much appriciated, I am also runing through a cable for the iplayer on my computer as dont have wireless modem

many thanks in advance

This guy has done something similar but on a PC - Carl Tyler's Blog :: Watching BBC iPlayer shows in the US on your PS3

He's using a proxy called ccproxy, if you use that on the PC everything else from the OP should work, and yes you will need the PC on and the proxy running while watching iPlayer.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jersey Couple

Hi All

I have been using UKproxy to watch UK tv with some success. Is there anyway of setting a recording and downloading the programmes overnight.

I note there are some boxes on the market now that will stream and record wirelessly from the internet but I dont know how they will go with a proxy.

Thanks

Rob

• 8 months later...
Guest byidlehands

I cannot get this to work, it is driving me mad! i am doing everything in this tutorial and still just get message that proxy server is refusing connections! i\It must be squidman settings but i just don't understand what i am doing wrong, can anyone who has managed to get this to work help at all!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rayparker2012

After much surfing found a great site for live UKTV through the laptop

TVCatchup is a service that lets you watch pretty much all of the channels that you would get on a normal Freeview box back home in the UK. The only way to connect to this on the internet from abroad is via a VPN (virtual private network). Most of these are now blocked with TVCatchup, 4OD etc, but AngloVPN still works fine. 5 quid a month, & takes 2 minutes normally to setup, search for Anglovpn on google. http://www.anglovpn.com

Get the TV playing on your laptop, plud a HDMI lead in to you telly and Roberts your fathers brother!

Just a quick update, rather than a proxy I'm now using Unblock US which simply needs you to change the DNS on the device you're watching TV through, I have it working on laptops, PS3 and Apple TV, it works for loads of TV sites in the US and UK, even NetFlicks in the US (haven't tried this though), you can sign up for a 1 week free trial then its $4.99 CAD pm, a whole $1 cheaper than my old proxy.

Setting up involves changing one setting (DNS address) on the device in question, in my setup I run my own DNS on Linux and just set the Unblock US IP as the first forwarder.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a N40L running Server 2008 and ClearOS as the gateway with Squid installed on the Windows server.

I have Squid setup using cache_peer with an upstream UK proxy that uses authentication.

When I use the proxy within the browser I can use the proxy and I can view GEO blocked sites perfectly. I am not asked to authenticate, it just works.

When I add the proxy to the PS3 it gets an internet connection perfectly but I get the error ERROR NOT UK.

Is this a DNS issue? Why does squidman work but not squid?

I have tried added UK DNS servers to the PS3 and to my DHCP server. DNS is resolving.

Does the PS3 look for something else when checking?

I was using squidman but the MacBook too slow and kept causing lagging. I would like to use the windows squid if I can.

what setup did you use other than squidman?

thank you

• 5 years later...
On 28/01/2012 at 17:11, Guest rayparker2012 said:

After much surfing found a great site for live UKTV through the laptop

TVCatchup is a service that lets you watch pretty much all of the channels that you would get on a normal Freeview box back home in the UK. The only way to connect to this on the internet from abroad is via a VPN (virtual private network). Most of these are now blocked with TVCatchup, 4OD etc, but AngloVPN still works fine. 5 quid a month, & takes 2 minutes normally to setup, search for Anglovpn on google. http://vpnprivacy.services/news/how-to-watch-bbc-iplayer-abroad-on-ipad/

Get the TV playing on your laptop, plud a HDMI lead in to you telly and Roberts your fathers brother!

VPN or Proxy IP can be easily banned by BBC. I recommend to use Smart DNS service instead of VPN to access video steraming services like BBC. Google for smart dns

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2019 at 13:43, the1ofspades said:

Hi , Does anyone use a proxy for the Amazon Firestick? I would like to be able to use the Firestick to watch the iPlayer instead of through my laptop.

Thanks in Advance,

Dan 

Yes, have used smart DNS proxy worked well.

I've used a ton of these over solutions over the last 6 years using smart DNS which works better than a VPN for streaming UK stuff.

Install Smart DNS proxy on your router to enable all your connected devices at once its a simple DNS config change. There are others like Unlocator and Getflix that also work. 

I've used a PS3, Firestick, laptop, ipad, phones and Android Tv all work fine using this method.

The best solution and one I constantly use is my Smart Tv instead.  I have an Australian Samsung smart TV, about 4 years old and have set it up as a UK tv so the apps are native. No messing about in daily use and works for all main UK catch up services. Instructions below:

https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-change-region-on-samsung-smart-tv-k-series/