Do we have to pay for kids education on 457 visa?

Mhags

Can someone help me allay my panicked state!

Just read on another thread that people with 457 visas can't get their kids into state education. Is this the case?

Maybe I should not have presumed that the state education system was freely available!

might have to sell a child to put the others through the private system......which one to sell, hmmmmm need to think about that one!

Hope someone can put me out of my misery at 5.30 am!

You have to pay if you are going to live in NSW or ACT ($4.5k and $9k respectively. Other states are free for school education. However, post compulsory options like TAFE or uni will be at international student rates. Schools are generally obliged to take kids in their catchment area but in the case of 457 visa holders in NSW the local school may be full in which case you may have to go a bit further afield IIRC. http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/schools/downloads/trp_feespayment.pdf

Guest zoefitton

Yes you do in some states we had to pay just over $4500 to immigration in Sydney. NSW charge this disgraceful fee for there public schools. You have to also pay some of the school fees which the actual school levies although they do not charge the full cost made to everybody who attends this is around another $100 to $200 for the year. We have now moved states due to factors such as these as it was crucifying us. We are now in Victoria where the charge doesnt apply. There are happy to take tax from you its ridiculous that they expect families to pay this. If you can afford private then it isnt much more. So just make sure you check with the state to ee which charge just for piece of mind. Good luck Zoe

thanks for your quick replies, these early morning panics aren't good for you, bad enough being awake at that time!

we will be moving to Melbourne and I have emailed Victorian Education Department who replied very quickly and it will just be the usual book fees etc we have to pay.

Panic over until the next one!

Guest zoefitton

I think you have made a sensible choice. NSW cost us an awful lot of cash and we will have to get straight . Our living costs have gone down over $1000 per month by relocating here. Where in Melbourne are you moving?

thanks for your quick replies, these early morning panics aren't good for you, bad enough being awake at that time!

we will be moving to Melbourne and I have emailed Victorian Education Department who replied very quickly and it will just be the usual book fees etc we have to pay.

Panic over until the next one!

hi

we are moving to melbourne ( I'll be there in october!) so on a 457 visa, i will only need to pay for the usual books/uniform/trips etc. for my 4 and 6 yr old?

thanks

well that's the next dilemma.

Still waiting on TFN to activate bank accounts to allow us to rent!

but hey! one step at a time, what's a couple of weeks wait after what seems like a forever wait for visa application to go through!

You don't need your TFN to activate your bank account. If you do not give them your TFN all that happens is that they tax the interest you receive on your savings. So you can just give them it when you receive it.

hi

we are moving to melbourne ( I'll be there in october!) so on a 457 visa, i will only need to pay for the usual books/uniform/trips etc. for my 4 and 6 yr old?

thanks

Voluntary contribution (usually around $300 pa), books, uniforms, excursions, visiting performers, extra lessons (swimming etc), various fund raisers, etc yup, there will be various fees for many things but essentially "free"

Voluntary contribution (usually around $300 pa), books, uniforms, excursions, visiting performers, extra lessons (swimming etc), various fund raisers, etc yup, there will be various fees for many things but essentially "free"

Hey, thanks for confirming that!

You don't need your TFN to activate your bank account. If you do not give them your TFN all that happens is that they tax the interest you receive on your savings. So you can just give them it when you receive it.

Thanks, but the bank account we are opening apparently

needs TFN to open it!

Archived