New Minister for Immigration

Guest pippa1

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Moto,

I have just decided to save my breath mate. When you are up against negative people sometimes its better to distance yourself from them or they will drag you down to their level. I will PM you my personal email address as I think I am going to pull the plug on this site.

Cheers mate,

John

Hi John

I am intrigued.

After the way that you and your OH (a Cook, I believe) have been treated by Evans, do you really consider that telling Bowen to mend the Australian Government's ways is "negative"?

If that is what you do think, why do you think it, please?

Many thanks :notworthy:

Gill

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
This thread is becoming very strange and personal! I don't see anything negative about what people have said, they're just being proactive! It's entirely up to individuals how they choose to act and whether they choose to listen to different advice. Some will wish to be proactive, some will wish to remain silent!

Hi Lavender

I agree with you. I also think that this thread has become a bit feral.

I don't agree with Jamie Smith's idea that wannabe migrants should prop up the migration agents who would like to relieve them of money. That idea is right off the wall in my view.

However I do agree with Jamie that hitting this bloke Bowen should be done immediately. If we wait until Bowen has developed the view that shafting wannabie migrants is a Brainy Idea then that is what he will do.

Personally I suspect that Bowen has been given the job only because nobody else in Gillard's coterie wants it.

I don't think that Bowen is a force for change. If I'm right, he'll revive the Cap & Kill Bill.

That would be highly convenient for the Aussie Government . It would NOT be convenient for the visa applicants such as yourself who wish to move to Oz.

So - does one wait for the axe to fall on one's visa application?

Cheers

Gill

I want say good luck to him and hope he gets thing moving and any changes are done and sorted out

He must have thick skin or brass balls to take this post with all the greef that comes with it:wacko:

Guest spurious

Oh dear, this thread isn't reading as I'd expected it to go!

Weirdly I agree with both John and Jamie. The new Minister isn't going to get a full picture of how things are if he just gets it from his predecessor. If all he knows is what Chris Evans tells him, he will be without the very crucial information that the current system has messed around with the lives of tens of thousands of people who just want to live in, and contribute towards, Australia. I see it as vital that he's as informed as possible.

Having said that, there are approaches that work and approaches that are counter-productive. Introducing yourself as a potential migrant by barking and yelling at somebody isn't really going to do you any good at all. Contacting the new Minister can be a positive thing to do, as long as it's handled tactfully.

If the recent consultation is anything to go by, the new Minister will be receiving a lot of correspondence, and a good percentage of it will be barely coherent, overly emotive and more than a little demanding. By taking care to be polite and courteous while still being firm and clear, our contact will stand out from the rest and may even result in his team doing more than skim reading it then totally ignoring what he's just read.

Ladies and Gentleman,

Here is the link to the new Immigration Minister..

Home - Chris Bowen - Federal Member for McMahon - Minister for Human Services - Minister for Financial Services, Superannuation and Corporate Law

You can drop your greetings and wish him good luck for the future. This is a great opportunity for you guys to contact Mr. Bowen. As he is youngest person in the Ministry, I know he will listen to all of us. Hope for good

Ladies and Gentleman,

Here is the link to the new Immigration Minister..

Home - Chris Bowen - Federal Member for McMahon - Minister for Human Services - Minister for Financial Services, Superannuation and Corporate Law

You can drop your greetings and wish him good luck for the future. This is a great opportunity for you guys to contact Mr. Bowen. As he is youngest person in the Ministry, I know he will listen to all of us. Hope for good

Hi,

I saw the mail id..thought why not collect theopinions first and drop mail as well as suggestions.

thanks Bajwa:hug:Jhappi

Looking at it from the Australian side, I feel the people living here would want to see action on the boat people situation first. So I think that is where his priorities will be, and what the public will expect and shouting in his ear to do. If the rate of people coming here illegally are allowed to stay, we won't need normal migration.

There was a case today in the paper where an illegal migrant using a false name, and having aids, has been allowed to stay, and it will cost the taxpayer $250,000 to treat her

Hi Moto,

I have just decided to save my breath mate. When you are up against negative people sometimes its better to distance yourself from them or they will drag you down to their level. I will PM you my personal email address as I think I am going to pull the plug on this site.

Cheers mate,

John

John, I have been to countless other migration forums out there and believe me, this is by far one of the best forums I've seen so far with so many nice members and mods (Golly!!) around. Mate, this is an open forum and there are many different people have different opinions and perceptions and if you ask me, that's the best part of this forum. Not everyone can or will have the same opinions and its all part of getting your point across and accepting a different view, though one may not necessarily agree with those views; To each his own.

Some people here have been battered and felt so 'cheated' by the ludicrious changes over the last few months that they have given up hope on any good news from the ALP; whilst there are others like yourself who look on the brighter side of things and hope a good chance will come upon us by the new immi minister and that's exactl what we need - a balanace of both. Some people may see the glass half full, and the others half empty - these views are entirely up to them.

There are always going to be people with different views becaused that's life - and its gonna be a shame if your gonna quit this site just because that. There are alwalys gonna be people with different views regardless of which site you go to and I've seen members and even mods on other sites that abuse members and return comments with absolute sarcasm to simple questions. Compared to them, the members here are much well behaved and do show a level of respect for each other; and mate your not gonna find another mod like Golly out there whos goes out of their way and gives other members valuable help and advise and feels so passionate for other members stuck in this maddness even though they have got no vested interest. End of the day the choice is entirely yours...

One man's meat is another man's poison.

hi guys,

my suggestion for what its worth, email peter mares to see if he can get chris bowen on his radio show.

peter is already up to speed with the situation we are in,and is a brilliant interviewer,they way i see it if peter asked him,he would almost certainly have to ablige, else what message would that be sending out about himself,

rgds jackster

Looking at it from the Australian side, I feel the people living here would want to see action on the boat people situation first. So I think that is where his priorities will be, and what the public will expect and shouting in his ear to do. If the rate of people coming here illegally are allowed to stay, we won't need normal migration.

There was a case today in the paper where an illegal migrant using a false name, and having aids, has been allowed to stay, and it will cost the taxpayer $250,000 to treat her

Agreed. I think there would be two things that would rank high on his agenda;

- Control illegal arrivals

- Find a solution to the massive backlog in visa applications

Guest Jo and Dave

I have been warching and reading many posts recently and have to say this whole immigration debacle smells and looks pretty much like an episode of "yes" prime minister, I know I shouldn't but it makes me smile to know that the pollies and there lackies are continually making a "mess" of things yet still employed !!

I have to say I am however very disheartened to see a place that seems to only exist because of migrants and their will to make a better life in a different place treat good, upstanding, hardworking people so shoddily.

I really cannot understand how they are being allowed to get away with it, being in the UK I am only too aware how contentious an issue migration is BUT there is 2 types of migration "legal" and "illegal" NEVER, EVER should the two be either mixed or confused, is the general Australian public not able to tell the difference ?? I am sure if this subject can be aired publically most good, honest Australians would be appalled that a genuine application for migration was being treated so poorly.

I too believe that the new minister should be made aware of the ramifications of the situation, that it is imperitive that this situation be given some serious consideration but WITHOUT prejudice, granted Mr Evans will want to perform a "hand over" but that is simply that, it does not indicate how things will move forward, give the guy a chance at least, not all pollies are in government to serve themselves "some" are genuinely there out of selfless ambition, to serve the majority as well as the minority !!

I have been warching and reading many posts recently and have to say this whole immigration debacle smells and looks pretty much like an episode of "yes" prime minister, I know I shouldn't but it makes me smile to know that the pollies and there lackies are continually making a "mess" of things yet still employed !!

I have to say I am however very disheartened to see a place that seems to only exist because of migrants and their will to make a better life in a different place treat good, upstanding, hardworking people so shoddily.

I really cannot understand how they are being allowed to get away with it, being in the UK I am only too aware how contentious an issue migration is BUT there is 2 types of migration "legal" and "illegal" NEVER, EVER should the two be either mixed or confused, is the general Australian public not able to tell the difference ?? I am sure if this subject can be aired publically most good, honest Australians would be appalled that a genuine application for migration was being treated so poorly.

I too believe that the new minister should be made aware of the ramifications of the situation, that it is imperitive that this situation be given some serious consideration but WITHOUT prejudice, granted Mr Evans will want to perform a "hand over" but that is simply that, it does not indicate how things will move forward, give the guy a chance at least, not all pollies are in government to serve themselves "some" are genuinely there out of selfless ambition, to serve the majority as well as the minority !!

Hi Jo and Dave,

Greetings from down under.

People in Australia do understand full well that there are marked distinctions between Asylum seekers and other immigrants.

The two issues are always discussed separately and never got confused as you submitted.

I myself am 100% for fair treatments of migrants. I also believe in fair treatments of Asylum seekers, in fact, fair treatments of everyone really.

However, it is just the matter of fact that a number of people in Australia are simply against immigration (AND asylum seeking). Therefore, the conflict of interest mitigate their interest (forgive the pun) in welfare of both groups.

On the asylum seekers front, we have heard enough lately.

On the immigration front, this is nothing new. The issue has been around since the 19th century from the arrival of Chinese goldminers. From what I see, there are many factors why:

- capacity of the cities, many people do not prefer high density living, smaller properties at ridiculous prices, extremely expensive rent, congested transport

- job competition, wage competition

- change of social fabric and culture, as Australia had been predominantly homogenous until the fall of White Australia

I understand the argument of population growth = bigger economy, higher GDP etc etc. However, many people simply don’t like the trade-offs. Some think that any gains would be evened out anyway by the higher property prices, rent etc.

Others would rather maintain the lifestyle, say, “pay” (being a little bit poorer - from losing the economic growth opportunity) for a preferred lifestyle. Many argue they are happier with good quality of life with a bit less money in their pocket – for them, certain things money just can’t seem to buy.

In fact, many would argue that isn’t it the reasons why people want to come here? If Australia had 1 billion people, the whole scenario would be totally different. It is hard to try to ‘sell’ the benefits of immigration to everyday people, you can go on and on about researches etc. etc. but at the end of they day, they just don’t like what they see happening.

There’s also an argument against “the whole country is full of immigrants”, that it is all relative. Every country is full of immigrants too. The UK several thousand years ago was also sparsely populated until the mass immigration of Anglo-Saxons. Just because the episodes of immigration took place at different epochs doesn’t mean Australia then cannot justify managing her own borders and her own affairs.

So yeah, that’s just my trying to explain the logic of people here.

Again, I personally like fair and sustainable immigration myself. I love a bit of multiculturalism, saves me from having to travel lol! Many might think otherwise, that’s why we’re a democracy. Governments, at the end of the day, work for people who voted them in.

People in Australia do understand full well that there are marked distinctions between Asylum seekers and other immigrants.

The two issues are always discussed separately and never got confused as you submitted.

When immigration is discussed, in more cases than one, asylum seekers are the first thing to be discussed, sometimes the only thing.

Governments, at the end of the day, work for people who voted them in.

True; except in this case the APL Bogans were put in power by a bunch of bush-wackers and not exactly by the people.

When immigration is discussed, in more cases than one, asylum seekers are the first thing to be discussed, sometimes the only thing.

True; except in this case the APL Bogans were put in power by a bunch of bush-wackers and not exactly by the people.

Couldn't agree more.

The ALP got half the seats, Coalition got the other half. The people voted for those independents as their representatives - to decide matters for them. The indepenents then did just that, decided what's best, when this extraordinary draw occurred. It is system at work. Abbott himself said in his concession speech that he's disappointed with the results, but he respects the system of democracy.

If the people didn't want those indies to decide matters for them, they would not have voted for them.

I understand that you may not like the result. I didn't particularly like it either (I'd personally like to see more Greens influence). But you've got to respect that everyone played by the rules and conventions.

You cannot say it as though they illegitimately got in (cheating? bribing?), that was not the case. All these, at the end of the day, came from how people voted. If you ignore the rules and conventions to simply get the result you want - that is, in fact, cheating.

Originally Posted by TheStig viewpost.gif

Of course! Because asylum seeker is part of immigration.

But people totally understand that we're now talking about immigration - asylum seekers. Sometimes an article might want to just discuss only that part of immigration.

People also understand what is skilled migration, family migration and so on.

It's like an article about how good or bad Toyota Camry is, people understand that it's about Camry alone, but there are Prius, Corolla etc. Just not what the column is writing about

Immigration topic is HOT right now in Pomsinoz. But we have been waiting for long now... It just so looks like the waiting period might soon be Over.. and we might get some decision on the Backlog of Applicants for Permanent Residency and a few changes from the harsh plans Mr. Evans had had in his mind.!

We have got to actually let Minister Bowens know about the present frustration of the prospective Skilled Migrants and tell him not to be Retrospective with his decisions..~~

A Reminder to All that the Cap and Cease Bill is now due to have a decision and it probbly has gone through the parliament or it has been scrapped already..!! Considering all that has been happening in Australian Politics and the Immigration changes,,, Its probbly good to expect the worst and work towards a solution from this point of view.!:elvis:

Immigration topic is HOT right now in Pomsinoz. But we have been waiting for long now... It just so looks like the waiting period might soon be Over.. and we might get some decision on the Backlog of Applicants for Permanent Residency and a few changes from the harsh plans Mr. Evans had had in his mind.!

We have got to actually let Minister Bowens know about the present frustration of the prospective Skilled Migrants and tell him not to be Retrospective with his decisions..~~

A Reminder to All that the Cap and Cease Bill is now due to have a decision and it probbly has gone through the parliament or it has been scrapped already..!! Considering all that has been happening in Australian Politics and the Immigration changes,,, Its probbly good to expect the worst and work towards a solution from this point of view.!:elvis:

Do not make a mistake of expecting much guys. Chris Bowen is going to be a puppet, but the real immigration opera show will be run by Miss Gilliard and Chris Evans as they are the senior members. As you had already know that Chris Evans has been made the Minister for Jobs, Skills and Workplace Relations.So that means Skill migration will definitly be supported by Minister Evans. Of course the final decision will be by Minister Chris Bowen. But while taking the decision he can not ignore the messages by his senior Pro.

The ALP got half the seats, Coalition got the other half. The people voted for those independents as their representatives - to decide matters for them. The indepenents then did just that, decided what's best, when this extraordinary draw occurred. It is system at work. Abbott himself said in his concession speech that he's disappointed with the results, but he respects the system of democracy.

I think we know how the consitution works. The Independents were put in power so that they could make decisions for them but we all know that not all decisions that politicians make are always right. Election polls clearly show the people in those constituencies opposed the APL but yet those Independents still went ahead with them. Whether its an excellent visionary decision or an absolute political suicide only time will tell. I wold really like to see how many of these country pumkins get re-elcted if an election was held tomorrow. Of course the 10 billion promised for regional areas (which the Liberals could not meet) played absolutely no part in their decision.

But people totally understand that we're now talking about immigration - asylum seekers. Sometimes an article might want to just discuss only that part of immigration

Sometimes?? 9 out of 10 discusions about immigration in general focuses on asylum seekers and not on general skilled migration. Period.

Sometimes?? 9 out of 10 discusions about immigration in general focuses on asylum seekers and not on general skilled migration. Period.

It doesn't matter TheStig, it could be 10 out of 10 times. The point is - people do understand that the discussion is about the Asylum seeker part of immigration only.

People don't mix up skilled immigration with asylum seekers.

I think we know how the consitution works. The Independents were put in power so that they could make decisions for them but we all know that not all decisions that politicians make are always right. Election polls clearly show the people in those constituencies opposed the APL but yet those Independents still went ahead with them. Whether its an excellent visionary decision or an absolute political suicide only time will tell. I wold really like to see how many of these country pumkins get re-elcted if an election was held tomorrow. Of course the 10 billion promised for regional areas (which the Liberals could not meet) played absolutely no part in their decision.

"True; except in this case the APL Bogans were put in power by a bunch of bush-wackers and not exactly by the people."

The bush-wackers were democratically elected by people to make that decision.

It does not matter whether you or the constituents like their decision or not. The point is it was a legitimate decision through the democratic process. You and the constituents must accept that fact.

Your and the constituents' current dislike of them/their decision doesn't make them illegitimate. (For the constituents, next time they can easily choose to not vote for these indies.)

It doesn't matter TheStig, it could be 10 out of 10 times. The point is - people do understand that the discussion is about the Asylum seeker part of immigration only.

People don't mix up skilled immigration with asylum seekers.

FACT. No ones mixing up skilled migration with asylum seekers. Asylum seekers cant be skilled migrant and skilled migrants cant be asylum seekers.

When people discuss immigration, asylum seekers get more focus and coverage than anything else.

The bush-wackers were democratically elected by people to make that decision.

It does not matter whether you or the constituents like their decision or not. The point is it was a legitimate decision through the democratic process. You and the constituents must accept that fact.

I did not say it was a illegitimate decision. All I said was whether that was a right decision, only time will tell.

Your and the constituents' current dislike of them/their decision doesn't make them illegitimate. (For the constituents, next time they can easily choose to not vote for these indies.)

Again, get your facts right! No one said it was illegitimate. There is a consitution and it WILL be adhered to. I can't vote so I honestly dont give a flying hoot. However the people in the constituents can and believe me they will let their intentions known... Again positive or negative only time will tell.

Archived