Exchange rate again

legoman

Guest guest32776

Painful if you absolutely have to transfer money... but brace yourself - looks like the world's stock markets are toppy - when they come off into the next trough the AUD will fall again. A couple of months ago were at 1.84 and no fundamentals are different. All sentiment!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I heard it is going to get worse over the next few months, I really do feel for people with money to move, it's best to get it over now and put in a high interest account.

Guest guest32776
Yes I heard it is going to get worse over the next few months, I really do feel for people with money to move, it's best to get it over now and put in a high interest account.

Best to transfer over as little as possible in my opinion. The 1.6 situation won't last long (can't see it being as low as this in one year) and I really doubt it will get significantly worse. You would need years and years in high interest to make up for such a whopper of a loss. Hope this helps (I spent many years as a forex broker so know a bit about the currency markets)

Best to transfer over as little as possible in my opinion. The 1.6 situation won't last long (can't see it being as low as this in one year) and I really doubt it will get significantly worse. You would need years and years in high interest to make up for such a whopper of a loss. Hope this helps (I spent many years as a forex broker so know a bit about the currency markets)

The dollar is going higher and significantly so.

It won't be long before it will be in the 1.50 range against the pound.

Australian Dolllar, Aussie Dollar, Currency, Forex

Guest guest32776
The dollar is going higher and significantly so.

It won't be long before it will be in the 1.50 range against the pound.

Australian Dolllar, Aussie Dollar, Currency, Forex

Possibly in the short term but no need to transfer your life savings over at such a transitory anomaly. Bring over as little as you can and wait. There is more upside for the pound once the UK gets the first level austerity measures out of the way. Inflation looks fruity too and might force an interest rate - hence a stronger pound. Also, what happens when a currency is so strong the export market dries up - the government devalues it - see Japan. Also , it looks like Australia isn't going to escape a carbon tax on mining of some type despite the pre-election promises!

Guest guest32776
:embarrassed:

OK - in March of this year, would you have said by September we would be back at $1.63? I know I didn't think that would be the case, but here we are.

Probably yes I would have. It was forecast by most that the UK economy would weaken again in the light of the removal of quantitive easing and the beginning of austerity measures.

Probably yes I would have. It was forecast by most that the UK economy would weaken again in the light of the removal of quantitive easing and the beginning of austerity measures.

Thanks - I guess I was a bit more positive - so with more QE on the way, and the true magnitude of austerity measures still to be borne, the outlook is not that rosy over the next 2 years.

Guest spongy42

probably a silly question but as we will be moving over in the next month to 2 months or so what should i do wait until the last min and change the money im taking with me into $aud or not taking a large amount less than £10k as have job to go to as have employer sponsor

My personal opinion only is that things will get a bit worse before any chance of getting better.

I'm expecting rate to go down into the $1.55 to $1.60 range over the next month or so.

But no-one really knows the future so you need to make your own judgment

Guest guest32776

looking ugly...hopefully no more QE in the UK today. I'm sticking my hopes on Gillard bringing back the commodities super tax before I bring over a smidgin more from the UK accounts.

The treasury will have those printers running very soon I think.

Jeez you really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.....!? None of us can influence the situation ourselves and we are just watching how things progress......however, you seem to take some kind of pleasure/enjoyment out of other people's misery. Either that or really are just on a permanent downer. Pretty much each of your posts on this thread seem to highlight this.

Things will improve!! If we didn't beleive this I think your gloom would begin to spread and stick! This is an anomoly and we are all well aware of the reasons why...!

Stay positive people....!!:biggrin:

As I say....there are plenty of reasons for optimism and one simply needs to look past all the doom merchants that are always predicting the end of 'the end' and 'much worse to come'......

Hidden in the UK news today....

Manufacturing output rose for a sixth consecutive month in August, growing faster than expected to lift the annual rate to its highest in over 15 years, official data showed on Thursday

Guest Guest31881
As I say....there are plenty of reasons for optimism and one simply needs to look past all the doom merchants that are always predicting the end of 'the end' and 'much worse to come'......

Hidden in the UK news today....

Manufacturing output rose for a sixth consecutive month in August, growing faster than expected to lift the annual rate to its highest in over 15 years, official data showed on Thursday

Unfortunately every time the UK economy seems to improve the BOE or the government make some form of announcement or take action to keep the value of the £ low. The BOE and Government like a weak £ as it encourages exports, manufacturing increased because exports from the UK are cheap at the moment. If the £ increases in value then it starts to make exports more expensive.

On the other hand the very strong Australian $ is making exports from Australia expensive, also making holidays here more expensive, but the deal with China to buy ore from Australia is locked in at a fixed price. So the high $ does not effect Australians biggest export to its biggest buyer.

Its no good for those of us who need a stronger £ to survive here, but unfortunatly its a fact of life.

All i know is that i never expected it to drop to what it is today when we started this process 3 yrs ago,wish i had a crystal ball,gutted!still going tho,cba leaving it in the UK,just cashing in £ for $ and doing one,IF the hse sells!

Guest Guest31881
All i know is that i never expected it to drop to what it is today when we started this process 3 yrs ago,wish i had a crystal ball,gutted!still going tho,cba leaving it in the UK,just cashing in £ for $ and doing one,IF the hse sells!

When we started to plan our move and we checked the exchange rate it was $2.60, the drop in value has lost me $750 a month from my pension. There are a lot of members on a fixed income from the Uk and it must really be hurting some of them. I am lucky we managed to get a job that helps support our lifestyle.

When we started to plan our move and we checked the exchange rate it was $2.60, the drop in value has lost me $750 a month from my pension. There are a lot of members on a fixed income from the Uk and it must really be hurting some of them. I am lucky we managed to get a job that helps support our lifestyle.

I know about your pension mate,thats why i thanked your post,you have my sympathies colin,think it was about 2.4 or 2.5 when we started the process,nothing we can do is there!

Guest Guest31881
I know about your pension mate,thats why i thanked your post,you have my sympathies colin,think it was about 2.4 or 2.5 when we started the process,nothing we can do is there!

Well I sit here, thinking of "Monty Python" and humming 'ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE'.

At least I am here, there are hundreds who are trying to get here and wondering if they will get a visa, and can they afford the move. :biggrin:.

I just Keep smiling, stay cheerfull, things will improve with time. :biglaugh:

Guest Mark X

And it will go back up...but when? how long do you think the recovery in Europe will take and do you think the dollar is over valued here? I think it is and the housing market is def over priced.

Archived