we made it..... Our first yr in Oz

theonetruechris

What a year!!:chatterbox:

So today 9/9/10 makes it our first yr anniversary, and guess what we are doing? Moving house!! hehe - we should rename ourselves the nomads, we are forever on the move. This time its within VIC, just about an hours drive south down the east link to Cranbourne east.

So, how about Oz....This has been one year im not sure i want to repeat. So many huge changes in every way. The country, the language, the cultiure, the job, the way we live, the illness/bugs (yes even the bugs are aussie and proud!).....its so much im not sure how to describe. We landed 9/9/09 on a 457 temp visa and gained our PR 856 1/6/10.

For me (kelly) , all i can say is I still love it here. im not sure why, but i have a sense of quality in my life and im so much more relaxed, thats definately rubbed off on me, yet ive never been so active in my life. Ive learned to appreciate the little things again. On the other end of the scale, ive never worked so hard with little annual leave and never before in my life have i been ok with getting up at 530am (??) and roughing it in a dump of a house.

I cant wait to move into a nice home, with heating and aircon - i feel so spoilt!:jiggy:

For the next yr, i plan to change jobs (hopefully) and we are in the process of buying land, so this time next yr we will be moving in to our first owned aussie home. Im sure we have more challenges to come!

For those of you doubting the move after reading the negative feedback, come and live it yourself - its not for all. nowhere is, but you may find it works for you. I will say, if it didnt cost so much to move here and set up, theres a chance when it was rough times, we would have gotten on a flight back to blighty.....im glad we stuck it out...

Kelly, Chris and Adam

xx

Guest guest37336

Hi Kelly.

Congratulations on the first anniversary, and long may it reign for you all. You sound as if you have settled really well, that in no small measure is worth patting yourselves on the back for.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Well done, good to hear things are okay. You should get 4 weeks A/leave a year, did you get more in UK? If you work shift work you get 5 weeks.

Oh yes a lot more AL - i used to get 41 days - > length of service and grade.

I think im getting 5 weeks, it states 'as per state award' in the contract. I find out on my anniversary - 5th oct -

Guest cazbeckham

CONGRATULATIONS on your first anniversary - ours is two years next month.

May you have many many more happy years here.

Caz

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great post mate

this is another post 2 days running of someone having really tough in Australia and telling it how it is warts and all. Again what shines through is your grit and determination to make it work, not because its whats expected, but because you are positive people who will strive and graft to make a good life for yourselves and i take my hat to you and i say this.................All the best for the future and i am certain your second year will be better than the first, you deserve it to be.

Thanks Guys. Im all for the warts n all posts.

I think i survive on optimism and the belief that any crisis can resolve itself in about 6-8 weeks. If it is done sooner then thats a bonus. You have to have the rough times, its all part of the adventure!! If you going to have a bad day - have it in the sunshine!! lol

Guest sunilisa

Congratulations and Thanks for sharing your first year.

We are due to move to Brissy for 1 year (trial) end of June 2011...excited

It's really good to read other peoples experiences...so glad it's worked out for you all!!!

xx

Oh yes a lot more AL - i used to get 41 days - > length of service and grade.

I think im getting 5 weeks, it states 'as per state award' in the contract. I find out on my anniversary - 5th oct -

5 weeks is as good as I got anywhere in the UK. Do you guys get long service leave after a few years service? I have been at my place of work for about 15 years and have 15 weeks long service leave up my sleeve. We can let our holidays keep accruing here too so I currently have about a month of normal leave to take. I figure it's not worth taking much in winter.

Last Christmas my Sister and family came over for a holiday and I had 8 weeks off. It was great. Didn't really go anywhere much as the rellies were all pretty happy just to be in the sun and go down the beach most of the time. Suited our family fine as we spend most of our spare time down there anyway.

My wife is also due some long service leave and has decide to salary sacrifice for more leave. There are employers here who are quite flexible, or maybe we've just been lucky.

For those that don't know, long service leave means after 10 years service with one company you get 3 months leave. Usually you can take it when you want and it keeps accruing once you get to 10 years. Like having an extra week a year off.

Some places you get it earlier (say after 6 years) you get it pro rata so you would get 6/10 of 3 months leave after 6 years. A great bonus.

I think it stems back to the days when Brits had to come by ship and after 10 years in the "colonies" they let you go back for a break. Because it took so long to travel you got 3 months. Most employers would love to get rid of it i'm sure and a lot have tried negotiating it away for more dollars per hour. If it wasn't for the unions I reckon it would have disappeared long ago.

5 weeks is as good as I got anywhere in the UK. Do you guys get long service leave after a few years service? I have been at my place of work for about 15 years and have 15 weeks long service leave up my sleeve. We can let our holidays keep accruing here too so I currently have about a month of normal leave to take. I figure it's not worth taking much in winter.

Last Christmas my Sister and family came over for a holiday and I had 8 weeks off. It was great. Didn't really go anywhere much as the rellies were all pretty happy just to be in the sun and go down the beach most of the time. Suited our family fine as we spend most of our spare time down there anyway.

My wife is also due some long service leave and has decide to salary sacrifice for more leave. There are employers here who are quite flexible, or maybe we've just been lucky.

For those that don't know, long service leave means after 10 years service with one company you get 3 months leave. Usually you can take it when you want and it keeps accruing once you get to 10 years. Like having an extra week a year off.

Some places you get it earlier (say after 6 years) you get it pro rata so you would get 6/10 of 3 months leave after 6 years. A great bonus.

I think it stems back to the days when Brits had to come by ship and after 10 years in the "colonies" they let you go back for a break. Because it took so long to travel you got 3 months. Most employers would love to get rid of it i'm sure and a lot have tried negotiating it away for more dollars per hour. If it wasn't for the unions I reckon it would have disappeared long ago.

In the UK you get an alloted amount of leave per financial year. so for most NHS workers as i was, its 36 days - 28 days Annual leave plus 8 days public hols. After 5 years it goes up to 33 days annual leave plus the 8.

You have to use this up in the financial year so thats 1st april til 31st march. Some places allow you to carry 5 days over.

I have never heard of any UK employer offering long service. It happen over here so i hear. Annual leave can be accrued as you say but ive seen a lot of colleagues being told to take leave as they have too much saved...some have been signed off work for a week or two to bring it down against their wishes. So not all places let you build up.

Chris has been told by his boss that AL is to be taken over christmas and it has been frowned apone when he has requested leave through this year.

Its quite a hard ajustment having regular leave through the yr as you chose and then coming over here and being told when you can take it:eek:

Guest sunnyday

Great post Kelly thanks. I remember reading when you were having a hard time, I'm glad you stuck it out and its worked for you. We've been here 6 weeks and emotional rollercoaster doesn't really cover it!! Theres been a couple of days when I nearly went screaming back to the UK (bit like a comfort blanket!!). I'm glad we didn't though, OH has just secured job and I have a really good feeling about life here. I think this first year with probably be the most turbulent of the whole experience, bring it on :)

Great post Kelly thanks. I remember reading when you were having a hard time, I'm glad you stuck it out and its worked for you. We've been here 6 weeks and emotional rollercoaster doesn't really cover it!! Theres been a couple of days when I nearly went screaming back to the UK (bit like a comfort blanket!!). I'm glad we didn't though, OH has just secured job and I have a really good feeling about life here. I think this first year with probably be the most turbulent of the whole experience, bring it on :)

Thanks Sunnyday.

O my god, the rollercoater doesnt stop but each step, you get stronger.

where are you staying? Were on the move down to Cranbourne during this month(have the keys and a little car - so lots of trips!)

Ever want to get together with the kids on the weekend, given me a shout on my PM or Chris's

Kelly (aka theonetruechris too when im on his login:cute:)

In the UK you get an alloted amount of leave per financial year. so for most NHS workers as i was, its 36 days - 28 days Annual leave plus 8 days public hols. After 5 years it goes up to 33 days annual leave plus the 8.

You have to use this up in the financial year so thats 1st april til 31st march. Some places allow you to carry 5 days over.

I have never heard of any UK employer offering long service. It happen over here so i hear. Annual leave can be accrued as you say but ive seen a lot of colleagues being told to take leave as they have too much saved...some have been signed off work for a week or two to bring it down against their wishes. So not all places let you build up.

Chris has been told by his boss that AL is to be taken over christmas and it has been frowned apone when he has requested leave through this year.

Its quite a hard ajustment having regular leave through the yr as you chose and then coming over here and being told when you can take it:eek:[/quoteui

It depends what industry you are in here, quite often trades services shut down over the xmas summer holidays, so they ask their staff to take leave - my son is a refrigeration mechanic and is on holiday now during the 'quiet' season - as during summer he can't move sidewards with the climate control needing constant attention, so that's his industry. For me, I have been with my current employer for 15 years, and now have accrued the equivalent of 6 months off (pro rata). I had my 10 years long service leave bank up, then the next thing I had hit 15 years, so will be taking some of that during the London Olympics hopefully! As a shiftworker too, I get an extra week a year due to being available over a weekend, so that's 5 weeks a year.

Guest sunnyday
Thanks Sunnyday.

O my god, the rollercoater doesnt stop but each step, you get stronger.

where are you staying? Were on the move down to Cranbourne during this month(have the keys and a little car - so lots of trips!)

Ever want to get together with the kids on the weekend, given me a shout on my PM or Chris's

Kelly (aka theonetruechris too when im on his login:cute:)

Have sent you PM, just stating the obvious so anyone reading the thread doesn't think I've ignored you lol

Archived