Air Asia & Kuala Lumpor Airport

THORPES

Hello

We are thinking of booking flights with Air Asia. We know they are not the best but they are cheap and as we are on a budget we could save a bit of money.

Has anyone flown with them before or been to Kuala Lumpor airport?

The first flight we are looking at is Stanstead to KL and it arrives at 17:00. Then the second flight is KL to Gold Coast departing at 21:25. This would give us 4 hours 25 mins (if on time).

Would we have enough time to collect our luggage, go through security at KL and re check in for 2nd flight? Also do we need a visa for KL? :huh:

We think it may be a bit tight on times so can anyone recommend hotels for a 1 night stay.

Thanks

Jill

Hello

We are thinking of booking flights with Air Asia. We know they are not the best but they are cheap and as we are on a budget we could save a bit of money.

The first flight we are looking at is Stanstead to KL and it arrives at 17:00. Then the second flight is KL to Gold Coast departing at 21:25. This would give us 4 hours 25 mins (if on time).

Would we have enough time to collect our luggage, go through security at KL and re check in for 2nd flight? Also do we need a visa for KL? :huh:

We think it may be a bit tight on times so can anyone recommend hotels for a 1 night stay.

Thanks

Jill

i'm sure we didn't need a visa for kl because you are just passing threw ;) but don't quote me on that lol

hM also check if you leave the airport and you stay in a hotel do you have to have a yellow fever jab ;) i'm sure thats why we have never stayed over just was easier to wait round for the plane.

Thanks for the comments

I have been reading reviews for Air Asia and they are not that bad. In fact there are alot of positive ones.

We are planning to travel all the way with Air Asia. They are coming out at about £800 cheaper than other quotes I have got. Thats based on 3 adults and 1 child. I have also included 30kg bags each and in flight meals. (other airlines only offered 20kg)

I was wondering if they would keep our bags. If they dont, I just wonder if we would have enough time to collect our luggage and re check in for the next flight.

ew, I dont fancy the yellow fever jab (it sounds scary). Maybe not needed if we stay in the transit hotel? (although I dont like lifts so hope they have stairs)

Jill

xxx

Thanks for the comments

I have been reading reviews for Air Asia and they are not that bad. In fact there are alot of positive ones.

We are planning to travel all the way with Air Asia. They are coming out at about £800 cheaper than other quotes I have got. Thats based on 3 adults and 1 child. I have also included 30kg bags each and in flight meals. (other airlines only offered 20kg)

I was wondering if they would keep our bags. If they dont, I just wonder if we would have enough time to collect our luggage and re check in for the next flight.

ew, I dont fancy the yellow fever jab (it sounds scary). Maybe not needed if we stay in the transit hotel? (although I dont like lifts so hope they have stairs)

Jill

xxx

2 years a go we left are littles one child seat on the plane still rigged up on the plane to get back on after 2 hrs ;), we just had our hand luggage with us :biglaugh: because if i remember rightly my hubby got stopped because they found nail scissors in my rucksack but he had carried mine because i had the lil one lol :biglaugh: they asked if he packed the bag and laughed at him lol !

check yr flight details it might be the same plane

You're luggage will go straight on to the gold coast, you will be given a transit ticket, you won't need to re check in, KL is a brilliant airport, huge, it has a tram running through the middle of it, loads of shops, clean spacious sitting areas, smoking lounge ( if required) you will easily kill 4 hours, I shall be their myself sept 15th yayyy.

Flying with Mayalsia airlines, though

Guest girlwizz99
You're luggage will go straight on to the gold coast, you will be given a transit ticket, you won't need to re check in, KL is a brilliant airport, huge, it has a tram running through the middle of it, loads of shops, clean spacious sitting areas, smoking lounge ( if required) you will easily kill 4 hours, I shall be their myself sept 15th yayyy.

Flying with Mayalsia airlines, though

Air Asia doesn't use that terminal. It is different much grottier one. However, it is still fine and as they offer flights all the way from Stansted to the Gold Coast the baggage will be transitted automatically.

Guest girlwizz99
Thanks for the comments

Jill

xxx

You don't need to have a yellow fever jab in Malaysia. If you have travelled abroad before to Africa, Asia etc you will probably have it in your 'health passport' but in reality I am pretty sure no one checks. I have been to Malaysia 5 or 6 times and have never had a problem in this regard. If you want to be certain have it in the UK at a travel clinic.

Thanks Everyone

I really want to book but hubby has come home from work and he is worried about safety of Air Asia. He thinks because they are budget, the pilots wont be experienced and plane will be on its last legs.

Jill

xxx

Air Asia has been around since 1993

They have had 1 incident when a flight skidded off the runway in Kota Kinabalu Malaysia, 2 passengers had minor injuries

So I'd say they are a fairly safe airline to go with.....

They're no Singapore Airlines though,............ they are the best! :biggrin:

Guest girlwizz99
Thanks Everyone

I really want to book but hubby has come home from work and he is worried about safety of Air Asia. He thinks because they are budget, the pilots wont be experienced and plane will be on its last legs.

Jill

xxx

If they didn't follow international safety standards they would not be able to use UK or Australian air ports. His rationale, no offence, is nonsense!! Qantas has had a lot more near misses and emergency landings than Air Asia, who have been around a long time. I have flown them myself on 3 occasions around Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia and I have to say the planes were one heck of alot better than Jetstar (Qantas's budget line).

If you don't like Air Asia have you checked Arab Emirates - they are the best by far in my opinion via Dubai. Qatar, via Doha, are also really quite classy.

Guest siamsusie

Working in Asia, I use them for internal flights twice a month, they are adequate. If you compare them to Laos Aviation or even old Garuda which I have had the pleasure on many occasions:mad: they are luxury lol .. It's a good basic airline with no frills , you get what you pay for...

Having said that I am always delighted to get back onto Singapore air to come home lol.

Seriously its fine! Happy travels

Guest girlwizz99
Thanks Everyone

Jill

xxx

There really is no need to be nervous of budget airlines provided they follow the international safety standards. Bear in mind there is no price-quality relationship for the more expensive airlines. The likes of Qantas and BA are not better, they are simply more expensive as they have massive pension fund obligations and cannot afford to compete on price.

Hello

Thanks

Jill

Hi,

I am from Kuala Lumpur. So maybe I can help. Air Asia is the first choice for everyone compare to Malaysia Airline when it comes to fare. Many comments from my friends are the seat are not so comfortable as it is not reclineable. So perhaps you need to carry along a neck rest for your comfort. Overall is the price that makes the different compare to Malaysia Airline. Sometime we do have Malaysia Airline Fair where you could grab a cheaper price, but overall price you will still find AA the lowest. MA offers a more comfortable seat and includes meals and baggage. As for AA, you need to purchase for your meal and baggage.

4hrs should be alright for connecting your flight. But you may want to consider a night stay in KL just in case the flight delay from Stanstead. AA does NOT stop at our international Airport (KLIA). It has its own terminal call (LCCT). It is not a big airport and is not luxury. There is nothing much to shop. You can easily catch a bus outside which depart every 15 mins or so to KL Sentral. One way bus cost only RM9 (if I'm not wrong). SHouldnt be more than RM13 one way.

At KL Sentral, that is where the trains stations located. You can board Monorail to KL City Centre, our golden city centre. Many hotels you can find. Near LCCT there is 1 hotel, but I'm not sure what is it call. But if you decided to stay for a night, I would recommend you to stay in hotels in City Centre as LCCT area has nothing. It is a secluded area and no shopping centre. Unless you want to hang around in the hotel itself.

Journey from LCCT airport to KL Sentral approx 45minutes. KL Sentral to KL City Centre approx 15mins. When depart, you can again catch a bus from Sentral back to LCCT airport.

I'm not quite sure if you need a visa from London to KL. You can easily find out from your immigration.

For safety wise, I cant comment much as it is really depends on individual. I myself has flown to Bangkok, Perth, Singapore and have booked for Gold Coast next year with AA. It is true that AA had an accident before. It happened in our East Malaysia back in year 2004. The plane was skidded during heavy rain. No dead and few injured.

In conclusion, all I can say is both airlines are still our Malaysian airlines.

Happy choosing and happy flying

Guest sibo04

Hey,

Myself and my GF have flown the leg from from KL to the gold coast after a trip through thailand in May. First of all as stated above the flight goes from to LCCT which is basic but still has showers which would be a godsend after the first leg.

I would think 4 1/2 hours would be enough to clear immigration and check in, but if it were me i would stay overnight and explore KL, if only because from KL to the Gold Coast was the most uncomfortable 9 hours of my life. The seats are very narrow and don't recline!. i got zero sleep the whole way. The planes were due a refit though so maybe this has changed.

Visa for Malaysia is on arrival so no problems there.

Overall you get what you pay for, but they'd have to be very cheap for me to fly them again!

Archived