More info for IELTS Test for Nurses and Midwives

trace1

I would suggest you complain to Australian Prime Minister.

Luckily the IELTS is now exempt for english speaking people, for AHPRA registration, but was requested for QNC and I believe 175 visa. I am going on 457. If you can prove secondary education in English and my Nurse training in English!

I did the exam 5 times and kept getting 6.5 on reading it was ridiculous the stress and financial hardship it caused me was unreal, still suffering with debt letters because of it!!!!!!!

They got over £600 out of me so agree complete money making scam on marking!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of Visa do I need for a year sabbatical in nursing? I don't need the IELTS for that do I?

My friend is going to try and get her money back from AHPRA when she gets her licence. She failed (on reading!) twice and they said she'd have to resit cos she'd failed it. She went to the minister of health and

managed to get them to override it and grant her a licence.

Good on her wish I thought of that!

Don't know for sabatical you will have to look at guidelines on AHPRA.

The health minister in Oz or in UK?

Obviously shows completely unnecessary anyway!

hi sorry to bother you all but i too have a couple of questions about this ielts

i am a uk trained midwife, studied at hull universit y and now have a degree in midwifery. myself and oh have a pending visa application August 2009.

we have applied for a 175 and are currently in catagory 3. We hope that if and when our visa is approved we will move to NSW.

I have yet to apply for the dreaded ielts test and registration to work as a midwife in OZ.

after reading all of the above posts i am even more confused now.

Do i have to take this ielts test after all, and what do i do about registering with OZ midwifery board. do i do it now with/without successful ielts or can i wait until we eventually get over to australia and apply to the relevant midwifery board then. please help. confused big time. thanks nicola

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the world of frustration and confusion Nicola, you'll have to get used to it I'm affraid.

The nursing registration organisation AHPRA introduced IELTS over 18 months ago. Basically to filter out poor English speaking people. I agree we have enough of them in the UK!

AHPRA recently changed the guidelines of IELTS as media coverage exposed AHPRA as basically ridiculous. An Australian nurse who did his nurse training in Ireland who had 2 degrees went to the press saying how crazy it was he had to do the exam, all because he trained in Ireland. Since then IELTS was exempt from native English people as long as they proved they did secondary education in English and nurse training in English.

This week they are talking about overseas nurses including America, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada also the UK may have to do again. Changing the goal posts again.

I have sent my application in the confirmed times when IELTS was not required.

Thankfully!

They will have to honour that if not the verbal and written guidelines is misleading and I will have to get the union involved and my solicitor.

It's so badly organised Nicola, there are long delays for everything and unable to contact AHPRA.

Someone said on here they only have 13 staff doing applications. Hence confusion and delays.

Look out on AHPRA sight daily as that's how much it changes, also the guidelines are unclear and wisht washy. Hilarious considering they want us to do a 4 hour English exam!

The IELTS is very stressful and not relevant to our jobs it's for international students!

Everyone is unsure of what is going on including myself have to wait to hear.

Sam.

:eek::confused::mad::

Guest CabbageDan

I'm reposting this on this thread as I think it's relevant:

I'm actually cautiously optimistic.

I think the confusion lies in the way they use the word "should" in this paragraph:

"The Board considers that applicants who have been taught and assessed in English in their tertiary, entry to practice nursing and/or midwifery education in the countries listed here should meet this requirement. "

I think they are actually using "should" to mean "will" (or at least "probably will")

If that's true, then this clears up the ambiguity (in our favor). Although they certainly won't be winning any plain English awards this year.

Of course that is just my interpretation, I could well be wrong (I often am). I suspect we'll have to wait until the draft is made offical before knowing for sure.

If you have submitted your health board application before nationalisation you will need IELTS, Also if you have taken an IELTS and failed you will need to provide the board with an IELTS result at the required grade.

My advice to anyone would be don't sit an IELTS and to apply to the board with proof that you studied in English and they shouldn't ask you.

@Dan, I think you are right, This whole AHPRA thing is ridiculous and run by idiots,

Anyone noticed that the person in charge of the board has changed his number? I wonder why, There was me hoping they would be attending the GPCE conference last weekend but they won't even show their faces.

If you have submitted your health board application before nationalisation you will need IELTS, Also if you have taken an IELTS and failed you will need to provide the board with an IELTS result at the required grade.

Hi cdb, where have you seen the latter part of your quote, if you have 'failed' your IELTS you will have to provide the required results...... Its the first time I have heard that one. I believe that if you have submitted your application prior to the change in IELTS requirements then you have to have your IELTS result of 7 in each, but not what you have said !!!

That's just it.

The guidelines are so vague, staff are interpruting what they think as there is no clear and concise structure!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I am an RMN just starting out on the process of IELTS and registration, recce out to Oz Feb 2011. There is so much confusion around this IELTS. Just wanted to put my point across.

1. NO QUESTIONS ASKED- UK nurses (unless Ozzy students) HAVE to do IELTS! repeat have to!

2. This is no biggy, I am sure if the same was asked of UK immigrants then all UK citizens would be in agreement??

3. Remember people, we of the UK are going to be migrants ourselves. No one said ti would be easy, no one said we are owed anything special or a free ride.

4. Sometimes there are hoops, albeit pointless, nonsensical ones to jump through......but look at the state of the UK and the life that can be had in another country and what we can bring in the workplace.

5.JUMP THROUGH THE DARN HOOPS!!!

Rant over.....sorry but it is clear that the whole process can be frustrating, but look at the end goal................

Good luck to all

:notworthy: :biggrin:

Hi,

I have received much help on these forums.

1. Sit IELTS--result goes to AHPRA

2. Send off AHPRA documents

3. Contact NMC shortly after to get Statement of Service from them (they will know)

4. sort out job offer, get visa

5. Go!!!

Cheers

Archived