Dilemma over dog

Nohea

Hi

I would appreciate any advice or tips from people who have taken their pets to oz and been really worried wondering if it is the right thing to do or not.

We really love our little dog (toy breed) and the children would be devastated if he did not come with us, however I just don't know how he'd cope with it, my worries are;

1. He doesn't like anyone other than his close family, and does not let anyone else touch him, feed him etc.

2. I think being in quarantine would make him really unhappy and may make him ill, we bathe him every week but he would not let anyone else bathe or trim him etc.

3. He loves the sun and would lie in it all day, which is ok in the uk as it's not too sunny for most of the year, I would worry that too much sun would affect his health, eg. sunstroke, sun burn etc.

Has anyone else taken a dog that is abit 'sensitive', and has got through the experience without any probs?

Thankyou, N

I think it might be time to get a behaviourist in and address those issues. Otherwise I think you might be right about him not coping. He will have to be handled by others and fed by others.

I think it is unlikely that he will allow himself to starve so he would probably accept other people eventually, but as an experienced dog owner I can't bear to think of the stress the poor mite is going through even now if he really is as you say he is.

Our dog is a bit nervous at times. He displays this by barking lots. However he coped very well with the journey and quarantine. We paid a dog walker to go in and see him as often as they could and he loved them (I think they loved him too!). We were all very pleased to meet up again though.

Buddy likes the sun but soon finds that he gets too hot so he comes inside.

Hope that helps a bit.

By the way - where are you now? And where are you heading?

I think it might be time to get a behaviourist in and address those issues. Otherwise I think you might be right about him not coping. He will have to be handled by others and fed by others.

I think it is unlikely that he will allow himself to starve so he would probably accept other people eventually, but as an experienced dog owner I can't bear to think of the stress the poor mite is going through even now if he really is as you say he is.

Our dog is a bit nervous at times. He displays this by barking lots. However he coped very well with the journey and quarantine. We paid a dog walker to go in and see him as often as they could and he loved them (I think they loved him too!). We were all very pleased to meet up again though.

Buddy likes the sun but soon finds that he gets too hot so he comes inside.

Hope that helps a bit.

By the way - where are you now? And where are you heading?

Hi

Thanks for your reply

We are currently in Nottingham and looking to head initially to Queensland to stay with family whilst we decide where the most suitable place for us to live would be (still undecided)

I think that a behaviourist would be a good idea and something that I will look into. He's not at all a nervous & is ok when people come into the house as long as they ignore him. He's very loving towards us and really is a great little dog, however if someone (not our family) tried to stroke him he would growl at them and he would bite them if they persisted.

When I say that Ringo likes the sun that it no understatement, he'd just lie there and frazzle if it were up to him, & if the area he's lying in gets shaded he moves and follows the sun around. I think that we would have to keep him indoors or in a shaded area if he came with us as he wouldn't do this naturally.

The other worry I have is that if we decided not to take him with us I don't think he would be easy to re home because of his temperament. I just want to do what's best for him, knowing him i know that he would not want to be without us and would love the heat ( refuses to set a foot out of the door when its raining or windy/cold!) But i'm really not sure he could take the stress of the move. Either way he's going to struggle.

Thanks N

We are in the same situation, last time I spoke about this lots of people got on my case.

We have the best dog you could ever ask for, he is a great dane that is nearing the end of his life. He is an inside dog that frets when we are away and crys none stop (we know this because he stays with Tracy's Dad). He too enjoys the sun but can't cope with the heat. We got him from the great dane rescue centre and we know they will find him a great home. I think the trip would kill him, and it wont only be the children who will be devistated to see him go, I know it needs to be done but I just can't pick up that phone to let them know......

If it was my dog then I would take him. He sounds like he would be hard to re-home. I also think that sometimes when dogs do have to cope with situations without there owners present then often they get on with it. Also any handlers would be well aware that the dog might be more nervous than usual and they will handle him appropriately. It's a hard decision for you to take but I remember having to move from a house in the country to a flat in London when I was a little girl and my parents had to give our dog away - I didn't handle it well and still wonder even today where he went and if he had a good life and home. Although your dog undoubtedly will have a stressful time of it I also believe dogs " live in the moment ' and once settled in Oz will soon forget in time his journey once united with his 'pack'. As for the sun, well, you will just have to monitor his garden time. All the best

We had to rehome our two boys when me made the move to Oz and my goodness it was the hardest part of the move by far .We were advised by our vet that the old boy might not make it and I couldnt do that so we reholmed them together as I couldnt part them from each other (a very kind friend took them both).I know we made the right choice for them but not sure about us as we still miss them so much .I guess what im saying is you should do whats right for the dog ...Although we all miss them soooooo much we did the right thing for them ....:(.....Its hard but hey isnt everything ....

If it was my dog then I would take him. He sounds like he would be hard to re-home. I also think that sometimes when dogs do have to cope with situations without there owners present then often they get on with it. Also any handlers would be well aware that the dog might be more nervous than usual and they will handle him appropriately. It's a hard decision for you to take but I remember having to move from a house in the country to a flat in London when I was a little girl and my parents had to give our dog away - I didn't handle it well and still wonder even today where he went and if he had a good life and home. Although your dog undoubtedly will have a stressful time of it I also believe dogs " live in the moment ' and once settled in Oz will soon forget in time his journey once united with his 'pack'. As for the sun, well, you will just have to monitor his garden time. All the best

It really would be great if we could take him and he isn't an old dog so got lots of years left hopefully. I think if i contact someone to help with his behaviour and get that side of things sorted now, that might help.

The way he is are all characteristics of his breed, thats why I worry about him being able to change, this breed are very loyal and protective of their families , I know other people with these little dogs and they all behave similarly. As for the sun like you say we'll have to monitor the time he spends outside and maybe stock up on the factor 50 for him! The question is will he adapt and handle the move, i really do hope so.

Guest Joanna1

Hi there

Just wanted to ask Buddysmum a quick question. How did you find a dog walker to go into the quarantine station to walk your dof & how much did they charge. Were moving to Melbourne in November but our dog will be going 2 weeks ahead of us and im a bit worried about him not being walked whilst we are still in the uk. cheers

Guest jibbitson
Hi

I would appreciate any advice or tips from people who have taken their pets to oz and been really worried wondering if it is the right thing to do or not.

We really love our little dog (toy breed) and the children would be devastated if he did not come with us, however I just don't know how he'd cope with it, my worries are;

1. He doesn't like anyone other than his close family, and does not let anyone else touch him, feed him etc.

2. I think being in quarantine would make him really unhappy and may make him ill, we bathe him every week but he would not let anyone else bathe or trim him etc.

3. He loves the sun and would lie in it all day, which is ok in the uk as it's not too sunny for most of the year, I would worry that too much sun would affect his health, eg. sunstroke, sun burn etc.

Has anyone else taken a dog that is abit 'sensitive', and has got through the experience without any probs?

Thankyou, N

It is hard to know what to do I have know a lot a of dog that have been "sensitive" been relocated and have done just fine dog will change to where they are but they do stress You have to think would he stress so much without you or is it better to take him and stress him out a bit bringing him.Because no matter how hard you try his is going to stress if you leave him or bring him he will settle down in the end .

We left our dog back in the UK when we can here that was a while a go now but as a kid it was very hard way up what you think is best for your dog in the long run.

best wishes

Jane

:cute:

Hi there

Just wanted to ask Buddysmum a quick question. How did you find a dog walker to go into the quarantine station to walk your dof & how much did they charge. Were moving to Melbourne in November but our dog will be going 2 weeks ahead of us and im a bit worried about him not being walked whilst we are still in the uk. cheers

Happy to help.

We used Dogwalks.com. au Karen who owns the company is on PIO sometimes.

If I remember correctly, they are only allowed to walk the dogs twice a week, but can visit four times, so they go in and sit with them on the days they can't walk. The walker one day had cramp in her arm and shook it. Buddy thought it was the visual command we use to get him to spin, so off he went on his full repertoire of tricks (hoping for a click and treat!) The walker was so thrilled she took a video and emailed it to us. We were a bit thrilled too!!!

Because we moved over during the Christmas/New Year holidays they weren't able to do all the visits they would normally as the quarantine station is "shut" at that time (the dogs are still cared for - just no visitors). It wasn't over expensive (but do bear in mind that overall it cost more to bring Buddy over than the three humans!) and I felt it was well-worth the money.

Here is a link to Buddy's photo album. You can get to the rest of the site from there.

Coppermine Photo Gallery - Buddy F./191010

Happy to help.

We used Dogwalks.com. au Karen who owns the company is on PIO sometimes.

If I remember correctly, they are only allowed to walk the dogs twice a week, but can visit four times, so they go in and sit with them on the days they can't walk. The walker one day had cramp in her arm and shook it. Buddy thought it was the visual command we use to get him to spin, so off he went on his full repertoire of tricks (hoping for a click and treat!) The walker was so thrilled she took a video and emailed it to us. We were a bit thrilled too!!!

Because we moved over during the Christmas/New Year holidays they weren't able to do all the visits they would normally as the quarantine station is "shut" at that time (the dogs are still cared for - just no visitors). It wasn't over expensive (but do bear in mind that overall it cost more to bring Buddy over than the three humans!) and I felt it was well-worth the money.

Here is a link to Buddy's photo album. You can get to the rest of the site from there.

Coppermine Photo Gallery - Buddy F./191010

Hi Buddysmum

I know these may sound like stupid questions but i'm struggling to get the answers on google etc.

What do the dogs get fed in quarantine? At the moment Ringo is on a specific diet (which i cook myself) because he gets bad skin and also because of his teeth ( they fall out if given food that is too hard etc.)

Also do they keep the dogs clean? (At the moment he is bathed weekly, using specific products)

Obviously every dog is different and has different needs and requirements do they take this into account or are they all just treated the same regardless?

I've also booked a session with a dog whisperer, so hopefully some progress with his behavioural problems, fingers crossed.

Thank you, N

Firstly, if you have a nervy dog, please DO NOT use a dog whisperer. That Milan man has so much to answer for. He bullies dogs into submission which is just going to stress a nervous dog even more. Just watch his videos with the sound turned off and watch the fear in the dogs' eyes.

Anyway, I am sure that I was able to see what they are fed in quarantine. I don't think they can cater for too many dietary requests but you might be able to get something sorted with a vet letter. I think the pet carriers or Karen from dogwalks might be able to advise.

Firstly, if you have a nervy dog, please DO NOT use a dog whisperer. That Milan man has so much to answer for. He bullies dogs into submission which is just going to stress a nervous dog even more. Just watch his videos with the sound turned off and watch the fear in the dogs' eyes.

Anyway, I am sure that I was able to see what they are fed in quarantine. I don't think they can cater for too many dietary requests but you might be able to get something sorted with a vet letter. I think the pet carriers or Karen from dogwalks might be able to advise.

Hi and thanks for the advice

I have booked a session with dog whisper . me . uk, really because this man is local to me and I had spoken to someone else who does his training sessions with their labrador puppy and was happy with how things were going. Not sure about the man from milan :unsure: (i'm not a doggy person, just want to make sure he is looked after properly, he is well and is happy)

Ringo is not a nervous dog so should hopefully be ok. Its really hard to describe his behaviour but when i look up his breed characteristics two of them are they are 'stubborn' and 'manipulative' which is him down to a t. They are also described as extremely affectionate and very attached to their owners, which I think maybe part of the problem of him being aggressive to anyone who is not in his family. I will see how our session goes on Monday (and feel slightly sorry for the man coming to my chaotic house with dog, cat and 3 children on the loose!), I will let you know if we make any progress.

Hi there, I work with dogs and I just wanted to post to say I second the advice from Buddysmum.

I had a look at the website of the person your planning to see, it doesn't read as bad as some, but there is a lot of mention of whispering, pack leader etc gimmicky words that can often mean bad stuff.

The thing is anyone can call themselves a behaviourist, it's unregulated in the UK.

Can I recommend trying to find a behaviourist registered with the apbc.org.uk or failing that even a trainer registered with the apdt.co.uk would be a better start.

Make sure to mention why you need work on the problems you have mentioned. You might find that your dog will be more comfortable being handled by a dog savvy person as they will handle a dog very differently to the average house guest, in which case he'll be fine for quarantine but i'm sure you'd still want to work on his behaviour anyway.

Has he ever been kenneled at all before?

I do hope you manage to see some improvement, as other have said it would be difficult, possibly, even wrong really, to attempt to re-home him with his current problems :(

Tracy - I missed the thread where you were given a hard time but just wanted to say that I think it sounds like you are making the best decision for your dog and really that's all any of us can do.

Hi there, I work with dogs and I just wanted to post to say I second the advice from Buddysmum.

I had a look at the website of the person your planning to see, it doesn't read as bad as some, but there is a lot of mention of whispering, pack leader etc gimmicky words that can often mean bad stuff.

The thing is anyone can call themselves a behaviourist, it's unregulated in the UK.

Can I recommend trying to find a behaviourist registered with the apbc.org.uk or failing that even a trainer registered with the apdt.co.uk would be a better start.

Make sure to mention why you need work on the problems you have mentioned. You might find that your dog will be more comfortable being handled by a dog savvy person as they will handle a dog very differently to the average house guest, in which case he'll be fine for quarantine but i'm sure you'd still want to work on his behaviour anyway.

Has he ever been kenneled at all before?

I do hope you manage to see some improvement, as other have said it would be difficult, possibly, even wrong really, to attempt to re-home him with his current problems :(

Tracy - I missed the thread where you were given a hard time but just wanted to say that I think it sounds like you are making the best decision for your dog and really that's all any of us can do.

Thank you for the advice, i have had a look at some of the registered people (from the website you recommended) I had actually already called two of these people without realising that they were registered, but one didn't do home visits and the other has not yet got back to me. I had a very long chat with the man that is coming next week and he has given me certain instructions and also asked me lots and lots of questions and wanted to observe Ringo at home with the family etc. which makes sense to me (he has other problems that I would like to resolve that I have not mentioned on here), I just think that if I took him into someone elses house (with the smell of other dogs etc.) the real him will not be seen and he will not be as relaxed as he would at home.

No he's never been kennelled before, we have tried to leave him with relatives twice (both disasters), also when he was neutered earlier this year the vet called to ask us to come and collect him early as he was causing mayhem, and as I was leaving she handed me a card with a behaviourists details on and advise that I give it a call!

I do know though that with Ringo it would not matter if the person handling him was dog savvy or not, he still would not let them handle him. The first time we visited the breeder we got him off she was really upset that he was showing this behaviour towards her, I told her what he was like but I think that she thought he was exaggerating, she offered to trim his face as its supposed to be kept short, but we let it grow as he hates being trimmed and he would not let her anywhere near him. Shes very experienced in handling and grooming this breed but I think that Ringo would have bit her finger off if she got any closer!

I agree it would be wrong to re home him and to be honest I would really struggle to let him go, he is so beautiful, Thanks again for the advice, N

You're absolutely right, any behaviourist should see you in your own home initially.

The person you're seeing not been on the apbc isn't the worst thing tbh , like I say it's an unregulated industry. It sounds like you have a good feel from chatting to him anyway so I hope it goes well and you get the support you need.

Can I ask, do you have a move date in mind? It might be worth emailing/calling the quarantine station concerned to ask them on any policies / handling of aggressive dogs. I'm sorry to use that word as I know it's hard, but I imagine he wouldn't be the first snappy/nervy dog they've had.

That way even if you make some improvements small or large you would know what he will face at the other end should he regress.

By all accounts they are not walked (unless you visit or pay for a walker) so asides a vet inspection I can't imagine he would be physically handled that often. I doubt very much they groom them weekly tbh.

Guest Jen and Rob

What do the dogs get fed in quarantine? At the moment Ringo is on a specific diet (which i cook myself) because he gets bad skin and also because of his teeth ( they fall out if given food that is too hard etc.)

Also do they keep the dogs clean? (At the moment he is bathed weekly, using specific products)

Obviously every dog is different and has different needs and requirements do they take this into account or are they all just treated the same regardless?

Hi Nohea,

I was worried like you as my dog has a lot of food allergies that affect his skin and inflame his ears so I emailed Perth kennels. They said they feed the dogs on turkey kibble but that we can bring in special food if we wanted (though luckily for us, turkey is one of the things he can have).

They seemed really helpful and I would hope that the other quarantine kennels are equally as accommodating. If I were you I'd email them to discuss diet, also mention your concerns - I was very reassured by the response I got.

He's flying out in less than 4 weeks and I do worry about him as he's getting on for 13. I just wish I could explain to him what's happening! As someone else mentioned though, I do think they live in the moment to some extent and just get on with things - whilst we go through agonies worrying about them!

Jenny

Guest Granada

Nothing to add really but had to say to Buddysmum we were looking at his pictures on Dogwalks the other day and laughing .... he is identical (seroiusly apart from the tail - Nelly is docked)to our Nelly who ( fingers crossed that her second Lepto blood test is OK) will be wagging her way round Sydney quarantine and walking with Dogwalks in a couple of weeks :eek:

Also wanted to ask the op if by chance Ringo is a Scottie ... he sounds similar to our other dog .... although he is fine if he is not on his own territory !

Jen xx

Nothing to add really but had to say to Buddysmum we were looking at his pictures on Dogwalks the other day and laughing .... he is identical (seroiusly apart from the tail - Nelly is docked)to our Nelly who ( fingers crossed that her second Lepto blood test is OK) will be wagging her way round Sydney quarantine and walking with Dogwalks in a couple of weeks :eek:

Also wanted to ask the op if by chance Ringo is a Scottie ... he sounds similar to our other dog .... although he is fine if he is not on his own territory !

Jen xx

Hi Jen, No ringo is not a Scottie, he's a hairless chinese crested, hence the need for regular bathing and skincare!:biggrin:

Hi just wanted to add to threads about dogs in quarantine. our dog is currently there, she is a border terrier 2 yrs old. I obviously didn't research well enough as before i visited yesterday, i didn't realise they weren't exercised while they were there, unless we go in to do it (or pay someone seperatly), why is that?I'm guessing its because they have so many dogs in there,not enough time.

Winnie(my little dog) seemed ok but a little depressed- not suprisingly- we're going back tmrw to visit again. I know it'll be worth it in the end, but i do worry about her-she's part of the family! Has everyone had positive experiences??

jo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tabatha
Hi just wanted to add to threads about dogs in quarantine. our dog is currently there, she is a border terrier 2 yrs old. I obviously didn't research well enough as before i visited yesterday, i didn't realise they weren't exercised while they were there, unless we go in to do it (or pay someone seperatly), why is that?I'm guessing its because they have so many dogs in there,not enough time.

Winnie(my little dog) seemed ok but a little depressed- not suprisingly- we're going back tmrw to visit again. I know it'll be worth it in the end, but i do worry about her-she's part of the family! Has everyone had positive experiences??

jo

Oh didn't know you could go and walk them yourselves?? Does that apply in all quaratine kennels??? We plan on moving to perth early next year and have a 4 year old bichon frise.. She's part of our family but are really worried about the impact it has when she's flown over,quaratined etc etc.. And what affect the flight will have on her, but there is no doubt she will become a pom as there is no way we could leave her behind unless it was cruel to take her..HELP???

Oh didn't know you could go and walk them yourselves?? Does that apply in all quaratine kennels??? We plan on moving to perth early next year and have a 4 year old bichon frise.. She's part of our family but are really worried about the impact it has when she's flown over,quaratined etc etc.. And what affect the flight will have on her, but there is no doubt she will become a pom as there is no way we could leave her behind unless it was cruel to take her..HELP???

think it will be same at the other quarantine stations, the "walk" is only to a really small enclosed outdoor pen/run as i guess they have to be careful with the quarantine laws,but its better than nothing,we are only allowed 2 half hour visits a week. will be worth it once we get har home!

jo

Our 10 year old border terrier (now 13 ) came out of the journey fine. We were not able to visit as we are on Gold Coast and no quarantine locally but were in regular contact with the person looking after her. It was probably good not being able to visit her as I think it would have stressed her. When she came out of Quarantine we were very excited and were able to give her our attention 24/7 and within a few days she was fine in our new home.

Guest TMahara

We have recently come over with our two Yorkshire Terriers, both rescue dogs with some 'issues'. They are both very nervous of strangers and don't like anyone touching them if they don't know them. One of our girls is particularly frightened of loud noises, being shut up in enclosed spaces and the dark. Anyway we couldn't think of going over without them so we sent them the day before us. We have come to Sydney so they stayed at Eastern Creek. Lucikly we were able to visit them as often as allowed which was actually 4 days a week, 2 days for 2 hour visits and 2 days for half hour walking visits. In my opinion being able to visit them so much certainly helped them cope with their time in quarantine and they did a lot better then we thought they would. They are always looked after by the same people so they often get used to them we didn't think our girls would but they did. We stressed so much about the girls when they were on their journey as we knew one of them wouldn't cope too well. Dogs do cope a lot more then we give them credit for. I think it's us that stress more than them. We came here at the end of July so the girls were in quarantine from then until middle of August my only advice would be that it gets cold in the kennels so we had to buy the girls some sweaters to wear to keep them warm at night. We were also able to bring food for them and I know from speaking to the girls in the kennels lots of people do and some dogs were on special diets. I do hope this helps but I do think you should bring your dog with you, I think you'll regret it and stress more if you don't

Archived