All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

my wife has a chrysler voyager and has problems with the air con,the dash always seems to be hot too as well as the seats ....are they renowned for these type of heat problems.......sometime rubber gets blown through the vents with some smoke ....have had it in garage to no avail....any serious advice please

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Prickles83

My OH is a mechanic in a dealership in victoria and they do not require a licence- i think it depends on what state you are in

Guest perth42

Hi TheHollies and Pickles83

Thank you for your responses. I did email a couple of dealerships in Perth a few months back to ask them if mechanics required some form of licence. Only one dealership responded with 'where did you get my email address from? Do not email me again!' So I gave up on that one!

If you do need a licence in Perth - during the three months wait for it to come back are you still able to work or do you need this before you even start working? Also if you have to pay for the police checks yet again (another waste of money!) how much are they?

Thank you again for your help :smile:

Guest TheHollies

Yes you are still able to work whilst you get your licence sorted. I believe you will have to get a Uk police check again. We havnt sorted my hubbys yet as he may be changing jobs again soon, lol.

Guest perth42
Yes you are still able to work whilst you get your licence sorted. I believe you will have to get a Uk police check again. We havnt sorted my hubbys yet as he may be changing jobs again soon, lol.

Thanks again, sounds like you still have to jump hoops! Did your hubby find it easy to get work? I go on seek every week and there are always 16+ jobs for Perth but starting to think they are the same ones being re-advertised.

Fingers crossed your hubby gets sorted and doesn't have to have the licence! :smile:

Guest TheHollies

you wont have a problem finding work once you arrive, ive heard places are always looking for good mechanics but they are more interested once you are in Oz. My hubby has found they way they 'fix' cars here to be quite poor but from speaking to friends here, its the norm with most jobs here. Cars are being run here that would never pass an mot if they were in the uk, lol.

Hi, we arrived in Oct, hubby a mechanic. The vetassess stands for nothing here (£1000 down the drain in my opinion :mad:) You will need a licence which you get 3 months to sort, just fill in some forms providing details of your qualifications etc, its $70 and you need another police check :arghh: which has to have been issued within the last 3 months. Makes you wonder why you have to go through all the stress of the paperwork and practical of the vetassess???

Hi Kirsty,I have just read your post,a little late i know as we have been so busy trying to sort out our Visa Application! Is that true for the whole of OZ as I am a Mechanic and have done all the Vetessas stuff ages ago and I was told I wouldn't need anything else to get a job, unless I was a Electrician, Plumber, Etc?

We now have a Case Officer and have been asked to do our Meds and Police Checks now. We have been SS by Camberra.

Can you let me know how I stand with looking for a job in Canberra (if it makes any difference I am 45 y/o now), but got my Visa Application in just in time !!!!

Thanks

Steve+Wendy :confused:

Guest perth42

Hi PIO

I have another query I'm hoping fellow mechanics might be able to help with or share experiences... Here goes: the OH and I have said if WA don't release by the end of the month we are going to pick another state as we have been waiting forever. Although our hearts/minds set on living & working in Perth we are prepared to consider living else where including the red hot and fly filled state of NT!

Mechanics have so far been on the three smp's released. Can any fellow mechanic share their experiences of applying/granted ss and/or living in ACT, VIC & NT???

We are running out of time as my job will be one of the 500,000 in the uk to be cut in the next 6 months. As you can imagine, this coupled with the changes in July 2011 to Aussie migration means we have to act sooner rather thank later.

Many thanks

Hi PIO

I have another query I'm hoping fellow mechanics might be able to help with or share experiences... Here goes: the OH and I have said if WA don't release by the end of the month we are going to pick another state as we have been waiting forever. Although our hearts/minds set on living & working in Perth we are prepared to consider living else where including the red hot and fly filled state of NT!

Mechanics have so far been on the three smp's released. Can any fellow mechanic share their experiences of applying/granted ss and/or living in ACT, VIC & NT???

We are running out of time as my job will be one of the 500,000 in the uk to be cut in the next 6 months. As you can imagine, this coupled with the changes in July 2011 to Aussie migration means we have to act sooner rather thank later.

Many thanks

Hi,don't know if this helps?

I am a Mechanic and we have been SS by Canberra and have just got a C/O and have been asked for Meds and Police Checks!

I sent off my 176 SS Visa Application 20thAugust 2010 and just after that the SMP for Canberra was released and Mechanic was on that, maybe that's why we got a C/O so Quickly?

Also,Camberra were very efficient with everything and kept us informed every step of the way!

I Passed My Vetasses in May 2010,it's was lott of hard work and lotts of info to send off to Canberra and DIAC ,but we are almost there(I hope)!!!!

Steve+Wendy:biggrin:

Guest TheHollies
Hi Kirsty,I have just read your post,a little late i know as we have been so busy trying to sort out our Visa Application! Is that true for the whole of OZ as I am a Mechanic and have done all the Vetessas stuff ages ago and I was told I wouldn't need anything else to get a job, unless I was a Electrician, Plumber, Etc?

We now have a Case Officer and have been asked to do our Meds and Police Checks now. We have been SS by Camberra.

Can you let me know how I stand with looking for a job in Canberra (if it makes any difference I am 45 y/o now), but got my Visa Application in just in time !!!!

Thanks

Steve+Wendy :confused:

It you are intending on working as a mechanic once you get to Oz then you will have to have the extra licence. Nothing has been mentioned by any employers Ian has met about the Vetassess, thats why I said its a total waste of time and money, I dont see why you have to pay and do tests to prove you are a mechanic and told this is what you need to work in Oz when it doesnt count for anything. :mad: Not sure what the others states policies are in regards the licence. I dont think you will have any problems finding work, theres always adverts in WA. Any employer will let you know if you need the extra licence.

Good luck with it all!! :wubclub:

Guest perth42

Thank you Steve and Wendy. OH also passed his Vetassess in May 2010 he said it was busy. You have given us something to think about. What made you pick Camberra? I always thought it would be too expensive as it was one of the most expensive states to live in. I seem to remember threads flying around with reference to how good communications in relation to SS, it was rather positive to hear. Unfortunately none of the other states have been quite so personal and/or amenable. Fingers crossed for you, and that you will soon be on your way.

Lou & Russ:wink:

Thank you Steve and Wendy. OH also passed his Vetassess in May 2010 he said it was busy. You have given us something to think about. What made you pick Canberra? I always thought it would be too expensive as it was one of the most expensive states to live in. I seem to remember threads flying around with reference to how good communications in relation to SS, it was rather positive to hear. Unfortunately none of the other states have been quite so personal and/or amenable. Fingers crossed for you, and that you will soon be on your way.

Lou & Russ:wink:

Hi Lou & Russ,thanks for your reply.

We picked Canberra because I was 45 y/o in October 2010 and I would have been too old after that ,as you prob know you have to have your visa application in before the age of 45! Canberra seem to be moving a Lott Faster than everyone else and also very helpful every step of the way when we phoned them and with emails.

My wife and I have looked at Canberra in some detail before making our decision and we know it is cold in the winter,etc. We both are keen Skiers and it is only about 2.5hrs drive to the Ski Area also it's about 2hrs drive to the Beach. It is Expensive, but like for most things you have to have a Budget and Stick With it!

They also have a Meet&Greet Service for when you Arrive, to show you around Canberra,which sounds like a good help!

Don't get me wrong,as when we sorted our SS with Canberra they were Not That Busy,so things could be a little Different now and you have to be on their SMP now!

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do?

Steve+Wendy:biggrin:

Guest perth42

Thanks Steve & Wendy. I know what you mean about sticking to a budget. We are prepared to do that.

We are all over the place now of where to go if WA don't release soon. At this moment in time we are torn. If nothing comes out soon I think its going to be a hedging our bets on who is getting through the quickest. 5yr 9 mths ago we started this and this time last year we thought we had enough evidence to support our application so we started the process for the second time and in came 2010 and the doors closed. I know what you mean about the age. My hubby has gone up and lost 10 points (1 think) so he was 10 points short of 175 visa so only had the 176 SS option.

My week has to improve as we found out at work today we are all out of a job for certain in July 2011... :frown::wacko:

Thank you again, lou & russ

Thanks Steve & Wendy. I know what you mean about sticking to a budget. We are prepared to do that.

We are all over the place now of where to go if WA don't release soon. At this moment in time we are torn. If nothing comes out soon I think its going to be a hedging our bets on who is getting through the quickest. 5yr 9 mths ago we started this and this time last year we thought we had enough evidence to support our application so we started the process for the second time and in came 2010 and the doors closed. I know what you mean about the age. My hubby has gone up and lost 10 points (1 think) so he was 10 points short of 175 visa so only had the 176 SS option.

My week has to improve as we found out at work today we are all out of a job for certain in July 2011... :frown::wacko:

Thank you again, lou & russ

Hi,thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about you loosing your job (what do you and your husband do for a living) Hope you don't mind me asking?

We were going to do a 175 Visa and got poor information from the DIAC about if we could change to a 176 Visa at a later date,so we decided the safer bet was a 176 SS .

Good job we applied for this visa, as we now have been requested by our C/O to get our Meds and Police Checks Done!

Good Luck with what you decide to do!

Steve+Wendy:jiggy:

Guest perth42

It's great news you have a case officer already. Your police checks shouldn't take long - last time I had mine done for work it took about 3 wks. How soon will you have your medicals? Fingers crossed you get your visa granted in the new year!

Will pm the other info.. Russ is a mechanic.

Hi all we got an email yesterday with our 457 visa approved! It took 6 days from lodgement to granted! Couldn't believe it.

We sent cv's to all main dealers Audi and vw in Perth and vw came back almost immediately and offered my hubby a job and got the ball rolling. We also got in touch with gavin at techs on the move who was brilliant, but as we had already contacted dealers in Perth his hands were tied, he did say that he could of got hubby a job on the east cities no problems at all and we were going to consider this.

Keep sending the cv's and chasing them up for replies, speaking to some of them they are desperate for mechanics with experience but you may need to convince them on the sponsorship side of things.

Booked hubby one way flight 23rd December and he is starting work mid jan. just need to get the house sold so that me and daughter can join him. Soooooooooo excited now!

Guest perth42

Congratulations I bet you can't contain yourself! Celebrations in order for you tonight.

You have given us some food for thought too! It never crossed our minds to try this route. We were starting to think we will have to apply else where just to get into Oz and get on with living instead of dreaming of living in Perth! As the 457 isn't a perm res, do you have to apply for a pr on shore/off shore whatever they are once you arrive?

Well done! :biggrin:

Thanks Perth42, really excited, had one too many last night so a bit delicate today! :( worth it though.

We decided to look because of not knowing when WA was going to release and it's paid off.

You can still apply for 175/176 at the same time, so as soon as WA reopens we will be submitting an application, we will just have to go off shore when it's granted.

It's well worth looking into and sending those cv's out you have nothing to lose!

Are you main dealer? If so which one? Techs on the move were looking for vw, Audi, BMW and mercedes. Problem is like I said that he has more on offer in Sydney, Melbourne than Perth. But you never know. ;o)

Guest perth42

Thanks for the swift reply. I was up checking (although I promised myself this 2:00am Monday, Wednesday and Friday checks had to stop!) the sites to see if wa had any news this morning. Russ (OH) is a main dealer ford mechanic. Are techs on the move an agency? Do you have to pay a fee to them too? When you say you have to off shore do they give you an indication when and how long for? Your post has really given me some hope again... Seeing as I found out I'm out of a job next yr along with many others desperation is kicking in! Thank you again.

I know how it feels checking what seems like every 5 mins through the night and being disappointed and soooo knackered the next morning getting rattier and rattier! :o(

I believe you get notification of your visa application and then you have to fly out of australia, I believe a lot of people fly to NZ I don't think it takes too long for the visa to be granted and then you fly back in and validate your visa! I think that's how it works from what ive read on here.

Techs on the move is an agency but the dealers pay his fee not you. Firstly i would give cv round to all ford dealers with all his qualifications including vetassess, I looked up a specific OZ style cv, it's not that much different but worth while looking at. I went to loads of detail in his cv, rob (hubby)has landed a job with AHG vw, and I think from memory they have ford! I think! I sent robs cv to their head office through the details on their website and it was them that then passed it onto the Perth vw service manager, then he contacted rob direct. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Guest perth42

Sorry my phone went flat and switched itself off, all the PIO surfing today lol! Thank you again for your advice/knowledge. I have done my cv in the Oz format I found on the net, think the only real difference was putting profile followed by experience/acheivements first before listing history. I had done mine as I have been applying for jobs over the net for jobs over the last couple of weeks - thinking long shot but nothing to lose and everything to gain! I really didn't think dealerships would pay for sponsorship. Russ asked me to ask you what do the dealership want in return for sponsoring you? Are you tied in for a period of time, lower rate of pay etc?

We have also talked in the past about russ going out ahead of me, not ideal but needs must etc. I keep saying we need to get the house on the Market but we love it where we are and won't want to be in rented and find out we stand no chance. I hope you manage to sort your house out soon so you too can book your one way to a new life!

Many thanks again, lou & russ :smile:

My hubby is tied into them for 2 yrs but I don't know how it would pan out. Rob has spoken to the service manager loads and is happy that it's all ok, they are actually paying a little over the going rate, so we are happy. We will have to wait and see but rob has only ever had two jobs in his career so is quite happy at the thought of being tied in.

Know what you mean about selling your house, I felt the same and didn't want to end up staying in the uk renting somewhere for over 12 months when I love my home. As soon as it looked positive about this job we put our house on the Market but we've not really had any interest at all. Its the wrong time if the year and people just can't get mortgages unless they have huge deposits so we will just have to wait & see! :( we are going to give it til April and then if we haven't sold look at renting it out, again not what we want to do but needs must :) keep us posted.

Dawn, Rob & Anna x

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all you mechanics, just wondering how we are all getting along now that the SMP's are being released? I'm hoping that we have some happy peeps out there?

Hi,We Are Fine Thanks. SS By Canberra And I Am On Canberras SMP (Motor Mechanic) We Got Our C/O (17/11/2010) And Have Booked Our Meds As Requested! (Meds Booked Manchester Jan 19th 2011),So Hopefully We Will Be In Canberra Sept 2011 , Subject To Getting Our Visa Early In 2011, Etc!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Steve+Wendy:jiggy:

Archived