Fruit picking or regional work

firebladebally

Has any one done 3 months fruit picking or regional work to get the second year working voliday visa ? Any info on wages, what type of work, and where abouts would be good. Any any memorable experiances that any one had on a working holiday would be nice...Cheers :biggrin:

Yep, my oh and I picked apples for 3 months in Batlow, NSW.

We started at the start of the season and picked Royal Gala which are hard to pick so we were paid an hourly rate of $17.00 which lasted for 2 weeks. After that we were paid per bin which ranged from $25-$30 depending on the apple.

Together we could pick an average bin in 30-45mins,with good picking my oh could do one on his own in 45mins. If you're willing to put in the hard work you can actually make decent money, if you're not,you won't.....or the farmer will send you on anyway lol.

Apples were ok in terms of picking, yes they're heavy and you have to use ladders but there were very few spiders on the trees....as in maybe under 10 in a 3month period and thankfully the orchard we were at didn't use harmful pesticides.

Memorable experiences, there are far too many to list, we will have been here for 2 yrs in October and have just been granted a 457 visa.

We camped on the orchard and slept in our car lol it was hard at times but on those hot days after work when the sun was setting, we'd sit under the chesnut trees, looking out at the view of the Snowy Mountains with kangaroos hopping about near by......undoubtedly one of the best experiences of our life.:jiggy:

Also, many wwoof hosts qualify to sign off for the 2nd year visa too.

Info on wwoofing is available here http://www.wwoof.com.au/

In short you work for 4-6hrs a day in return for free accommodation and food.

Thanks alot of that LisaIan.... the experiances you had sound awesome and have just put a big smile on my face as i will be having similar experiances very soon. A little hard work sounds acceptable to have these experiances. Bring on the apple trees ! Thanks again. :biggrin:

Guest guest37336

Hi mate.

Whilst I didn't do fruit picking in order to get my visa my wife and myself travelled a lot around Australia picking up work when and where we could, the vast majority of our experience was in WA, but would be the same in most of Australia I imagine.

We did pepper picking just outside of Carnarvon for several months, oh how we laughed , NOT. The pepper bushes are around knee height and by God did you feel it fore the first three or four days.

Myself and wife were at that time staying in a tiny unit in the middle of Carnarvon, and for the first week when we got back indoors we used to be crippled. The sight I will never forget is the one where the good lady went into the bedroom to get some clean cloths for a shower.

After about ten minutes I was getting a little worried so I went into investigate. There she was bent over the underwear draw, stark naked, tears rolling down her face, in pain and laughter. She had got stuck in the same position, her back had given way and she was unable to move a muscle.

After I had stopped laughing I managed to extradite her from the rather dubious position she was in and get her to lie down, still in the same position. She looked like Quasimodos better looking cousin.

It was very hard work mate, but I can honestly say that we had a great time and would do it all over again tomorrow, we made some great friends, had many a laugh and was a time in our lives that hold many happy memories, even the pain can be looked back at and laughed at.

Sorry I can't be more help mate, but I would advise any work undertaken is taken only when you can keep your back straight, i.e. apples etc.

You will do fine mate, have a laugh and learn a lot from the experience. After all mate, you are one fit fella, as the recent help for heroes adventure shows. So you will undoubtedly be better equipped than we ever were.:wink:

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest guest37336
Cheers for that tony.....a very interesting and amusing post as normal ! Quasimodos better looking cousin was a beauty ! Im looking forward to it like you wouldnt believe, we will be hitting cairns if you fancy a pint ! Cheers mate.

Ahhh, Cairns, I would be more than happy to buy you a pint mate. There is a great little beach bar in Palm Cove, called 'Bar On The Beach' well that used to be its name. It was run by a Kiwi by the name of Rod, one of the funniest and most likable characters I have ever met.

Unfortunately mate at the moment I am in the UK sorting some personal issues out, but as soon as we get back there I will hold you to that promise of a drink, lap it up, say hello for me and good luck to you.

Hi,

My niece and boyfriend did this. They worked on a sheep farm, really remotely for 3 months, loved it, then got their 2nd WHV, and now the employer are sponsoring them on a 457. In January next year, they are applying for a permanent visa, as they'll have been with them for 2 yrs continuously.

They are in Ayers Rock. Very remote, but good for saving up! They've had a trip back to the UK, bought a car, and saving for a deposit for a house.

I can find out where the sheep farm was for you if you're interested.

Shaz

Hi mate.

Whilst I didn't do fruit picking in order to get my visa my wife and myself travelled a lot around Australia picking up work when and where we could, the vast majority of our experience was in WA, but would be the same in most of Australia I imagine.

We did pepper picking just outside of Carnarvon for several months, oh how we laughed , NOT. The pepper bushes are around knee height and by God did you feel it fore the first three or four days.

Myself and wife were at that time staying in a tiny unit in the middle of Carnarvon, and for the first week when we got back indoors we used to be crippled. The sight I will never forget is the one where the good lady went into the bedroom to get some clean cloths for a shower.

After about ten minutes I was getting a little worried so I went into investigate. There she was bent over the underwear draw, stark naked, tears rolling down her face, in pain and laughter. She had got stuck in the same position, her back had given way and she was unable to move a muscle.

After I had stopped laughing I managed to extradite her from the rather dubious position she was in and get her to lie down, still in the same position. She looked like Quasimodos better looking cousin.

It was very hard work mate, but I can honestly say that we had a great time and would do it all over again tomorrow, we made some great friends, had many a laugh and was a time in our lives that hold many happy memories, even the pain can be looked back at and laughed at.

Sorry I can't be more help mate, but I would advise any work undertaken is taken only when you can keep your back straight, i.e. apples etc.

You will do fine mate, have a laugh and learn a lot from the experience. After all mate, you are one fit fella, as the recent help for heroes adventure shows. So you will undoubtedly be better equipped than we ever were.:wink:

:biggrin:LOL!!!

I feel for your wife! Although you don't bend down to pick the apples there is quite a considerable amount of lifting and bending involved. Obviously you have to carry your ladder from tree to tree, if you're lucky they'll have lightweight aluminum ones, if not old style steel ones which are super heavy and awkward to move, then there's the apples themselves, a full bag weighing up to 20kg and then there's the bending into the empty bin to release them which has to be done verrrrrrry slowly while bent over the bin so not to bruise the fruit, no easy job when you're 5ft 2!!!! For the first 3 weeks I prayed to anyone who would listen for a pair of new feet!!! They didn't come but I did become hardened to it after a while though!

There's also the danger of leaning while on a ladder and your bag of apples shifting and pulling you off the ladder which did happen:eek:

The sense of accomplishment when you've finished is unbelievable though!

Hi,

My niece and boyfriend did this. They worked on a sheep farm, really remotely for 3 months, loved it, then got their 2nd WHV, and now the employer are sponsoring them on a 457. In January next year, they are applying for a permanent visa, as they'll have been with them for 2 yrs continuously.

They are in Ayers Rock. Very remote, but good for saving up! They've had a trip back to the UK, bought a car, and saving for a deposit for a house.

I can find out where the sheep farm was for you if you're interested.

Shaz

Just read this back, and thought I should mention, they are not now working at the sheep farm! That was just for 3 months to get the 2nd WHV.

Has any one done 3 months fruit picking or regional work to get the second year working voliday visa ? Any info on wages, what type of work, and where abouts would be good. Any any memorable experiances that any one had on a working holiday would be nice...Cheers :biggrin:

If you would be interisted in working on a banana farm in Innisfail, 1 hr south of Cairns, PM me and I will give you some details, I know a couple of farmers there that employ backpackers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neild1971

What about fruit picking strawberries, I did it for a few weeks was sick of bending over all the time. They are so low to the ground. I do prefer picking apple or pears, i am over 6ft so it suit my height not like those strawberry plants. Here is a site where you can get work on the Sunshine coast if your interested in the whole strawberry picking things.

Fruit Picking Strawberries

• 4 months later...
Guest j0hnyoung

Shaz36,

I guess your not saying that your relatives got sponsored as Sheep Farmers?? Does sound interesting though..

Wakeboard1980,

Is there any chance you could PM the information if its still available? Just I'm going to be in cairns, so what you said sounds good..

Guest tomwhite

Not paid work, but I did woofing - willing workers on organic farms - in far north QLD and also Gympie. Not paid, but given food and a roof in return for around 4-5hours work. Good fun and a real experience!

Archived