New Cat 3 - Discussion

Welshtone

Hi Susan

I am in the process of getting my head around everything. I am not sure I understand your first paragraph. My understanding is that if you have applied prior to 01 July 2010 and now find yourself under Priority 3, this is goiod news and your application is likely to be pulled out soon and processing commenced. Those under Priority 3 apllying from 01 July 2010 are being immediately asked to go for health and character. So the only Priority 3 applicants who need SMP sponsorship are those who have not yet applied for their visa and are aged 35 or over and score IELTS 7, or all who cannot score IELTS 7.

So the only caveats I see is that Priority 3 is great news if you applied for your visa prior to 01 July 2010 and great news if you apply from 01 July 2010 AND you meet the 120 pass-mark.

A possible problem is when all these Priority 3 applicants are in the middle of their health and character processing, the SMPs then come out and DIAC suspend processing of Priority 3 while they dig out all the new Priority 2 applications that are already on-hand. Hopefully DIAC are confidant that Priority 2 applications do not take up the whole program for this year - but who knows how many Priority 2 applications will emerge from those applications already on-hand.

Regards

Tony

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath

Hi Tony

I'm still getting my head around the detail too, but here's my interpretation - I've cut and pasted some relevant detail from the FAQs and info sheet below.

Issue 1 - will all existing applicants with a nominated occupation of Accountant be escalated to Priority 3?

DIAC has stated that all applicants with a nominated occupation of Accountant will be escalated to Priority Group 3.

But it's also advised that the new priority processing changes don't apply to applications "where it's readily apparent that the criteria for grant of visa would not be satisfied".

Based on that advice, I suggest that if an existing Accountant applicant can't get 120 points, it would indeed be "readily apparent that the criteria for grant of the visa would not be satisfied".

Which, in turn, means that the new priority processing changes would not apply at all in their case, and they would consequently not be eligible to be escalated to Priority 3.

Issue 2 - does escalation to Priority 3 guarantee grant of visa?

In addition, DIAC has advised that "the changes to priority processing do not affect the criteria for grant of visa".

So in the event that DIAC does in fact escalate all applicants with occupations on the SOL to Priority 3, those who were previously in lower categories because they couldn't get 120 points - the ones who are currently delighted, because their applications have been escalated - will be unable to meet the points criteria and will have their applications refused.

DIAC didn't make this clear in its information sheet or FAQs.

That's why I made mention in my post above of applicants getting their hopes up, then coming crashing down.

If my interpretation above is right, a lot of applicants are going to suffer yet another huge disappointment, after being set up for it by DIAC’s own failure to communicate in clear English.

In the interests of those applicants, I'd love to be proven wrong and invite other agents' comments.

Best regards

S

FAQs:

Q13 My nominated occupation is Accountant but I was not eligible for the CSL. What level of priority processing will I receive?

The occupation of Accountant is included on Schedule 3 of the current Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and therefore your application will be in priority group 3, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2.

Information sheet:

Priority group 3 includes all applicants with a nominated occupation of accountant, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2

FAQs

Q5 What applications are not affected by the Direction or priority processing?

The following applications are not affected:

Applications where it is readily apparent that the criteria for grant of the visa would not be satisfied.

Information sheet:

The changes to priority processing do not change the criteria for the grant of a visa.

Hi Susan

Sorry, I still don't get it.

Issue 1:

Nobody is in a lower processing priority by not scoring the required pass-mark - their application is always in danger of being refused( or pooled if an off-shore application). The previous Processing Priority Direction also did not apply to cases where it was readily apparent that grant criteria could not be met. Those who applied at under 120 hoping to score an extra 10 for a subsequent IELTS 7, were always taking a chance that their application could be refused before submitting the IELTS result. On-shore applicants and family sponsored can get extra time through the MRT if they are refused although pooled applicants may only be rescued by an SMP sponsorship, assuming a drop in the pass-mark never saves them.

Issue 2:

The same really - priority is not related to your pass-mark other than you can get refused ahead of the normal priority direction if you obviously do not meet grant criteria.

Am I missing something here ?

Regards

Tony

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Susan and Tony

I don't understand the discussion that you two have been having on the "Agent Information" sub-forum.

I don't understand Category 3 either, which is probably not helping. And I know that I am not alone in my confusion.

Is it correct that all the occupations in Schedule 3 of the new SOL are now in the new Cat 3 priority for processing?

Is it correct that if an occupation - eg Education Officer - is not in the new Schedule 3 then the application is now in processing priority Cat 4?

As I vaguely understand this, the processing priorities now depend on the visa applicant's occupation, not on whether he is State sponsored, Family sponsored or not sponsored? Is that right, please?

Cats 3 & 4 will reduce in size once the new SMPs are published because some of the applications that are in Cats 3 and 4 at the moment will move to Cat 2?

Are DIAC saying that they intend to start processing the applications in Cat 3 straightaway, without waiting for Cat 2 to come into existence? If I am right about this bit, what sort of pecking order do they plan to implement for the order of processing of the applications in Cat 3?

You two have been talking about 120 points - ie sc 885 and 175 visas, I assume? This bit baffles me more than all the rest. Are there a lot of applications left for sc 885 and sc 175 visas? Haven't people switched to State sponsored sc 176 visas in huge numbers? Also, is it common for people to apply for sc 885 and 175 visas even though they know that they don't have a minimum of 120 points at the time when they lodge their applications? I suppose I am really saying that I don't understand the emphasis that both of you place on 120 points.

However I'm so totally confused by the announcement of 19th July that I don't understand anything much at the moment, it must be said. The stuff on the DIAC website is more garble than explanation, imho.

I'm puzzled. (Well - completely confused is more accurate, I think!) :confused:

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for pulling this out of the agent forum gill as I read earlier today and i am completely baffled too.

Nothing is clear in this whole who moves to Cat 3 scenario and I am wary of getting too excited about it because the DIAC communication regarding the new priority processing policies are not clear in my opinion at all.

Let's hope we all have some clarification soon.

Claire

Here is my understanding:

Is it correct that all the occupations in Schedule 3 of the new SOL are now in the new Cat 3 priority for processing?

Yes, If your occupation is on schedule 3 then you are in Priority 3 processing group.

Is it correct that if an occupation - eg Education Officer - is not in the new Schedule 3 then the application is now in processing priority Cat 4?

Correct. If your occupation is not on Schedule 3, and your application was lodged before July 1, you will be Priority 4. If you are not on Schedule 3 after July 1, you will not be able to lodge an application, unless you are on Schedule 4 and have state sponsorship.

As I vaguely understand this, the processing priorities now depend on the visa applicant's occupation, not on whether he is State sponsored, Family sponsored or not sponsored? Is that right, please?

I haven't heard anything to support any particular processing order. I think we have to wait for a few visa grants to see if a pattern emerges, or see if DIAC releases and official statement.

Cats 3 & 4 will reduce in size once the new SMPs are published because some of the applications that are in Cats 3 and 4 at the moment will move to Cat 2?

Correct. I know many people who are state sponsored and now in Cat4, praying that they will be on the new SMP so they will move up to priority 2.

Are DIAC saying that they intend to start processing the applications in Cat 3 straightaway, without waiting for Cat 2 to come into existence? If I am right about this bit, what sort of pecking order do they plan to implement for the order of processing of the applications in Cat 3?

I have seen a couple of posts suggesting meds & pcc have been requested of 2 people from March & December 2008, and that they fall under Cat3. This would indicate the people of DIAC are still doing some kind of work during this caretaker government period.

You two have been talking about 120 points - ie sc 885 and 175 visas, I assume? This bit baffles me more than all the rest. Are there a lot of applications left for sc 885 and sc 175 visas? Haven't people switched to State sponsored sc 176 visas in huge numbers? Also, is it common for people to apply for sc 885 and 175 visas even though they know that they don't have a minimum of 120 points at the time when they lodge their applications? I suppose I am really saying that I don't understand the emphasis that both of you place on 120 points.

This confuses me a little too. People in Cat3 could fall under both the 175 and 176

visa category, so depending on which visas type they are being assessed for , the number of points required would differ. I read about someone in Cat3 where the CO asked them which visa they would like in their passport, the 175 or 176, as they were state sponsored, but originally applied as a 175.

However I'm so totally confused by the announcement of 19th July that I don't understand anything much at the moment, it must be said. The stuff on the DIAC website is more garble than explanation, imho.

I'm puzzled. (Well - completely confused is more accurate, I think!) :confused:

Their new motto should be 'Confusion our business'.

We have seen offshore s/c 175 applications lodged in 2008 being asked to arrange meds and penals in the last week, so I think it is reasonable to assume that applications already lodged with occupations on the new SOL are indeed being identified from the previously lower categories and progressed.

Best regards.

Guys,

I am so excited to read all these discussions on the issues raised after this so called priority processing processing(or u can say Priority Pressing). I was going to launch a new thread after reading the discussions in agent's thread. But later I found that it is there ..My special thanks to Welshtone, Jamie Smith, Susan, Wareham McGrath and Alan Collett.

Special thanks to Welshtone who started this thread. He is of great help to me. But now he is also speechless on the processing of 496 and 495. I can understand his concern. Even he is short of information.

DIAC is silent on the future of all the family sponsored applicants including 496 applicants. Well, I do not understand that how can DIAC reduce or remove the applications? When there are many many family sponsored applicants waiting. I assume that family sponsored applicants are not being processes for last 3 years, Correct me If I am wrong. So there are in number in the backlog. Will they remove all these family sponsored applicants? Well, that will inviting the agitation by their sponsors in Australia.

As I saw from this announcement, that DIAC has decided not to go with Visa capping bill, Will they still Cap and cease applications.This shows the level of communication between Prime MInister and Mr. Chris Evans that first they started this inquiry on bill and mean time they announced elections.

Well At the end I will only ask one questions from all of you that what is the fate of 495 and 496 applicants. As I applied on 2007 , I am hoping that after 3 years to my applications they will do something om my application.... Source of this information is Client Service Charter

Guys,

I am so excited to read all these discussions on the issues raised after this so called priority processing processing(or u can say Priority Pressing). I was going to launch a new thread after reading the discussions in agent's thread. But later I found that it is there ..My special thanks to Welshtone, Jamie Smith, Susan, Wareham McGrath and Alan Collett.

Special thanks to Welshtone who started this thread. He is of great help to me. But now he is also speechless on the processing of 496 and 495. I can understand his concern. Even he is short of information.

DIAC is silent on the future of all the family sponsored applicants including 496 applicants. Well, I do not understand that how can DIAC reduce or remove the applications? When there are many many family sponsored applicants waiting. I assume that family sponsored applicants are not being processes for last 3 years, Correct me If I am wrong. So there are in number in the backlog. Will they remove all these family sponsored applicants? Well, that will inviting the agitation by their sponsors in Australia.

As I saw from this announcement, that DIAC has decided not to go with Visa capping bill, Will they still Cap and cease applications.This shows the level of communication between Prime MInister and Mr. Chris Evans that first they started this inquiry on bill and mean time they announced elections.

Well At the end I will only ask one questions from all of you that what is the fate of 495 and 496 applicants. As I applied on 2007 , I am hoping that after 3 years to my applications they will do something om my application.... Source of this information is Client Service Charter

I hope you are right but honestly, I have had my application for 885 lodged over 2 years ago. Based on the client service charter, the max wait is 2 years if it is a non priority processing. I don't think they give a damn.

Hi VB

Is your nominated occupation on Schedule 3 ? It would be good to find a 495 or 496 applicant who is on Schedule 3 as now would be the time to force DIAC to process your application as you would be the highest priority and higest priority in order of date of application.

Regards

Tony

Hi VB

Is your nominated occupation on Schedule 3 ? It would be good to find a 495 or 496 applicant who is on Schedule 3 as now would be the time to force DIAC to process your application as you would be the highest priority and higest priority in order of date of application.

Regards

Tony

Biggggggggggggggggggggg nOOOOOOOOOOOOO .:embarrassed:

Hi Gill

The lodgeing of a Class VE visa, (175/176) without State or family Sponsorship at time of application, with less than 120 points, is not that common. It is likely to be done by a person who is likely to lose eligibility soon, e.g turning 45 or losing required skilled work experience, AND, who think they can meet 175 or 176 criteria at a later date. examples:

Turning 45 soon, scores 100-115 but takes a chance that a relative will become a permanent resident of Australia within 2 years of being pooled.

Turning 45 soon, scores 100-115 and has applied for State Sponsorship and is hopeful of approval after turning 45 Or is not on any list but is hopeful of appearing on a State list within 2 years of being pooled.

Turning 45 soon, scores 110 or 115 and hopes to pass IELTS 7 prior to being pooled (scoring IELTS 7 after pooling will not work as the points score cannot be re-assessed).

Turning 45 soon, family sponsored, scores 90 or 95 and hopes to pass IELTS 7.

Family sponsored has review right and, if pooled before obrtaining IELTS 7, can apply to MRT and if IELTS 7 comes in before MRT decision, they can be processed. OR, whether they appeal at pool stage or not, after 2 years in the POOL they are refused, they can apply for MRT (again if they had applied earlier and not managed to get IELTS 7 in time) and if IELTS 7 comes in before MRT make decision on refusal, they can be processed for a visa.

I have used the example of turning 45 but it could be that application was made due to adverse changes e.g. suspension of processing on 08 May 2010.

On-shore, there is no pooling of cases, but all applicants have a review right. So an on-shore student can apply 5 or 10 points short and know that they have 2 or 3 years, or longer, to score sufficent IELTS - so there are many on-shore applicants who do not meet the required pass-mark.

As for Priority 3, all applicants with nominated occupations on schedule 3 are now top Priority with BSPC and ASPC as they do not deal with Priority 1 cases and there are no Priority 2 cases untilk a State Plan is released. Those who do not meet the required pass-mark and are schedule 3 occupations, although not covered by the Priority processing direction, the yare likely to receive it in a refusal earlier than they may have otherwise expected.

Regards

Tony

As for Priority 3, all applicants with nominated occupations on schedule 3 are now top Priority with BSPC and ASPC as they do not deal with Priority 1 cases and there are no Priority 2 cases untilk a State Plan is released. Those who do not meet the required pass-mark and are schedule 3 occupations, although not covered by the Priority processing direction, the yare likely to receive it in a refusal earlier than they may have otherwise expected.

Hi Tony

I don't suppose you have any insight into how they are now likely to process Priority 3 apps. Do you think it will be by order of date lodged?

Cheers

Claire

Guest mackdmello

hi,

this is my first post in PomsInOz forum, hi everybody , i was just curious to know my status if u could explain my situation. First of all on 13th april 2009, i had submitted my application under Sub class 175 under CSL category, after few months my agents tells me that ur occupation does not fall under CSL categoty, i was annoyed and frustated, i did not know what to do, then i decided that i wil go for state sponsored visa that is the Sub class 176, my occupation is Accountant ( External Auditor)Asco Code -2212-11

I applied for state sponsorship for Victoria and i was granted State Sponsorship for Victoria on 13th of December 2009 and i was placed in Cat 5 . and i am still waiting for a case officer, if u could let me know what does this new SOL mean to me and Schedule 1,2,3,4 mean to me , where am i placed at the moment and what are my possibility, whether i will be transfered to Priority 2 after SMP is released or will i be processed now, if i am placed in Schedule 3 , what do u think where do i stand.

My IELTs band Score is also more than 7 in all the bands as per the DIAC requirement for Accountant. but i am an Accountant ( external Auditor) and not an Accountant

Anxiously waiting for ur reply, i know it is a long story sort of think, but since this is my first post, i would suggest u give me a concession for this. :smile:

thanks

Mackdmello :confused:

Hi Tony

I'm still getting my head around the detail too, but here's my interpretation - I've cut and pasted some relevant detail from the FAQs and info sheet below.

Issue 1 - will all existing applicants with a nominated occupation of Accountant be escalated to Priority 3?

DIAC has stated that all applicants with a nominated occupation of Accountant will be escalated to Priority Group 3.

But it's also advised that the new priority processing changes don't apply to applications "where it's readily apparent that the criteria for grant of visa would not be satisfied".

Based on that advice, I suggest that if an existing Accountant applicant can't get 120 points, it would indeed be "readily apparent that the criteria for grant of the visa would not be satisfied".

Which, in turn, means that the new priority processing changes would not apply at all in their case, and they would consequently not be eligible to be escalated to Priority 3.

Issue 2 - does escalation to Priority 3 guarantee grant of visa?

In addition, DIAC has advised that "the changes to priority processing do not affect the criteria for grant of visa".

So in the event that DIAC does in fact escalate all applicants with occupations on the SOL to Priority 3, those who were previously in lower categories because they couldn't get 120 points - the ones who are currently delighted, because their applications have been escalated - will be unable to meet the points criteria and will have their applications refused.

DIAC didn't make this clear in its information sheet or FAQs.

That's why I made mention in my post above of applicants getting their hopes up, then coming crashing down.

If my interpretation above is right, a lot of applicants are going to suffer yet another huge disappointment, after being set up for it by DIAC’s own failure to communicate in clear English.

In the interests of those applicants, I'd love to be proven wrong and invite other agents' comments.

Best regards

S

FAQs:

Q13 My nominated occupation is Accountant but I was not eligible for the CSL. What level of priority processing will I receive?

The occupation of Accountant is included on Schedule 3 of the current Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and therefore your application will be in priority group 3, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2.

Information sheet:

Priority group 3 includes all applicants with a nominated occupation of accountant, except those already included in priority groups 1 or 2

FAQs

Q5 What applications are not affected by the Direction or priority processing?

The following applications are not affected:

Applications where it is readily apparent that the criteria for grant of the visa would not be satisfied.

Information sheet:

The changes to priority processing do not change the criteria for the grant of a visa.

Hi Mack

you are on Schedule 3 New-SOL so your current priority in Priority number 3 - Top Priority until the SMPs are announced. There is no requirement for DIAC to process Priority 3 (or 1 or 2 for that matter) in date order. So the likely order of processing for Priority 3 will be:

1 - those with health and character clearances completed "decision ready"

2 - those that apply on or after 14th July are likely to be immediately requested to go hor health and character clearances

3 - in around a months time, DIAC will have dug out the old Priority 3 cases and will be allocating them in date received order

It is my view, not necessarily the view of OE Visas (yet), that if you are prioroty 3 and obviously qualify for a visa, and were ahead and complete your health and character clearances, your application is likely to be processed earlier than if you don't. This is a risk that you take and the worse case scenario is you have to repeat medicals in 18 months time. I think if you do health and character now, you have a good chance of getting your visa prior to SMPs being released. If you do not get your visa before SMPs are released, Priority 3 cases may slow down for a bit but the first Priority 3 cases to resume processing will be those that are decision ready.

DIAC clearaly want Schedule 3 occupations to get visas as they have identified them as long-term shortages. It is also likely that many, or all SMPs will have the Schedule 3 occupations on them. It would be good to know that SMP sponsorship, subsequent to Visa application, will increase to priority 2 and we are trying to get this clarified with DIAC now.

Regards

Tony

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above.

It is my view, not necessarily the view of OE Visas (yet), that if you are prioroty 3 and obviously qualify for a visa, and were ahead and complete your health and character clearances, your application is likely to be processed earlier than if you don't. This is a risk that you take and the worse case scenario is you have to repeat medicals in 18 months time.

It is likely to cost around £1,000 for a British family of 2 adults and 2 children to have their visa meds done particularly since it is now sometimes necessary for such a family to travel a very long way to see a Panel Doctor, which means that they might decide to stay in the relevant town the night before if they have a morning appointment with the Panel Doctor. I think that for an RMA to say, "But the risk rests with you, client dear," is not going to be enough to protect that RMA when he is also claiming that the application is likely to be processed sooner if the meds are done asap. If the RMA turns out to be wrong, the OMARA are likely to ask why the RMA encouraged his/her client to ignore DIAC's own advice about this - which is clearly stated on DIAC's website. DIAC advise people not to incur the expense of the meds unless a CO requests it, after all.

If I were an RMA, I'd be worried that the clients would later complain to the Regulator - the OMARA - about "undue influence" by the RMA in the event that the encouraged experiment goes wrong. After all, if a client were more inclined to trust the DIAC website than to trust the RMA, the client would not have instructed the RMA in the first place.

If I were Alan Collett - who I understand is now a business partner of OE - my own inclination would be to say, "Offer no advice about this for the moment. Let us wait to see what happens in practice with clients of other RMAs or clients who have applied on their own."

Also, what about a situation where the client has nominated Accountant but the client cannot get 7.0 or above across the board in the IELTS? It is pretty obvious that the Minister intends to Cap & Kill this client's application. He certainly doesn't intend to grant them visas instead, to judge from everything that the Minister has said in Hansard.

I would imagine that the clients of OE are probably predominantly British but vast numbers of visa applicants who have nominated Accountant and have applied for offshore sc 176 or 176 visas are not native English speakers, I strongly suspect. Many of them have not been able to score IELTS 7, despite having studied in Oz in many cases.

I don't think that Poms in Oz should be as bullish about this as Go Matilda/Overseas Emigration might be with their own clients. My own feeling, on behalf of Poms in Oz members, is that they should wait a few weeks and see how the whole thing actually starts to pan out in practice.

I think if you do health and character now, you have a good chance of getting your visa prior to SMPs being released. If you do not get your visa before SMPs are released, Priority 3 cases may slow down for a bit but the first Priority 3 cases to resume processing will be those that are decision ready.

Do you have any "feel" for the likely numbers? What I am saying is that if DIAC have a major push to start granting Cat 3 applications pronto, how many "spare visas" would be left over for Cat 2?

We crunched this briefly during the meeting in London last year. Young Andrew Butler works for John Adams (Immigration2Oz) and Andrew came to the meeting. (To be honest, I thought that Andrew was British until he said that he had worked at the ASPC for 18 months. His Aussie accent is so slight that it is very difficult to tell that he is an Aussie.)

Anyway, Andrew said that there are about 50 COs at the ASPC and that they are each expected to finalise about 30 visa applications per week. I don't know how many COs are employed by the BSPC or whether they are also expected to hit the target of 30 finalisations per week. My maths is so hopeless that I am incapable of devising any sort of way of working out the likely numbers from a total of about 36,500 GSM visas to be granted for 2010-2011, but somebody else can probably do some realistic"ball park" figures within minutes.

DIAC clearly want Schedule 3 occupations to get visas as they have identified them as long-term shortages. It is also likely that many, or all SMPs will have the Schedule 3 occupations on them. It would be good to know that SMP sponsorship, subsequent to Visa application, will increase to priority 2 and we are trying to get this clarified with DIAC now.

I thought that DIAC have already accepted that where a visa applicant has:

• An occupation that is in Schedule 3 of the new SOL; and
  • State sponsorship; and
  • His occupation later also appears on the SMP for the State that has already offered to sponsor him

then this person's visa application will automatically move up to Cat 2?

I seem to think that DIAC said vaguely on 19th July that moving upwards should happen automatically but that the applicants should contact them to remind them, just in case DIAC overlook some of the relevant applications. Are you saying that there is still an element of doubt about this?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

It is the same conundrum that happened when State Sposnored visas were high priority and then dropped to lower priority and told visas could take 3 years - in practice, those that had done medicals were process pretty quickly. I would rather defend with OMARA my unguaranteed opinion that doing health and character now is likely to speed up your processing than not give my honest opinion and see applicants disadvantaged.

I don't think that DIAC will let the SMP numbers get in the way of the Schedule 3 listed occupations so you may see small lists approved or large lists with small quptas. I think that Priority 2 and 3 will be processed hand in hand with a small number of Priority 4. there3 may be a ninitial slow down in Priority 3 processing when SMPs come on board due to the automatic Priority 2 assignment to existing applications. But I don't pretend to have the numbers and what seems logical to me may not be to DIAC.

Only those Priority 3 applicants who were Satte sposnored and applied prior to 01 July 2010 can get automatic upgrade to Priority 2 if on their sponsoring State's migration Plan. I am arguing that those who apply without State Sponsorship from 01 July 2010, who do not have SMP sponsorship, should gain a higher priority 2 if a subsequent SMP comes in - DIAC are saying on their qwebsite that this would require a new application - I disagree and am trying to get confirmation.

Regards

Tony

I'm with Tony on this, Gill.

Applicant clients are looking for us as experienced advisors to give a lead - but also to appraise them of the risks.

That done, it is the client's decision. Better to make an informed decision than not to be informed in the first place, don't you think?

After all, how many times do we read on this forum of applicants who never get any input from their agents. I like to think we are somewhat more pro-active with our clients.

Best regards.

Hi all,

I was bemused too by Susan and Tony's fourth dimension of applications made who are yet to meet the points test criteria.

Moreover I was as equally if not more baffled than Gill as to what and where we are at. It seems that DIAC have opened Pandora's box !!

And I agree with VB's assertion that Family Sponsored applicants appear to be the scapegoats in all this. From what I can determine you could have a 60 point occupation which includes high level of skills, State Sponsorship, been waiting more than two years already, to now find yourself pushed to the back of the queue into category 4.

Having already waited for the 1st July changes per se, we now find ourselves more bewildered than ever, we believed and we now need to wait for SMP's to be delivered, whilst the agents sit round campfires telling tales and yarns over who is doing what. For arguments sake are they on strike or something?

The most irritating factor is that this is like the return of the eternal optimist. Each time I wait for an announcement it appears that DIAC are saying " People is our business when WE can be bothered to process your application. " The carrot and stick theory of motivation is worth bearing in mind, with the visa being the "carrot" and total confusion being used as the proverbial "stick" to beat us with.

I see DIAC have conceded that they contribute to causing applicants fianancial and emotional problems by doing zilch. Each time I read the forums I see winners and losers. Makes me believe that this is the strangest bet I have ever placed, don't know when or whether there will be a result, and last but not least as VB is trying to ascertain are we all non- runners?

Just trying to make my own sense of it all, pwease.

Cheers,

Gary

Anyway, Andrew said that there are about 50 COs at the ASPC and that they are each expected to finalise about 30 visa applications per week. I don't know how many COs are employed by the BSPC or whether they are also expected to hit the target of 30 finalisations per week. My maths is so hopeless that I am incapable of devising any sort of way of working out the likely numbers from a total of about 36,500 GSM visas to be granted for 2010-2011, but somebody else can probably do some realistic"ball park" figures within minutes.

When I called DIAC yesterday, and was on hold, their propaganda recordings proudly boasted the processing of 500 applications a day at the Adelaide Center.

It is likely to cost around £1,000 for a British family of 2 adults and 2 children to have their visa meds done particularly since it is now sometimes necessary for such a family to travel a very long way to see a Panel Doctor, which means that they might decide to stay in the relevant town the night before if they have a morning appointment with the Panel Doctor. I think that for an RMA to say, "But the risk rests with you, client dear," is not going to be enough to protect that RMA when he is also claiming that the application is likely to be processed sooner if the meds are done asap. If the RMA turns out to be wrong, the OMARA are likely to ask why the RMA encouraged his/her client to ignore DIAC's own advice about this - which is clearly stated on DIAC's website. DIAC advise people not to incur the expense of the meds unless a CO requests it, after all.

Gill

Hi Gill, for us it would probably cost another £300 - £500 for flights to probably Manchester or Glasgow to get our meds done and we would prob need 1/2 nights in a hotel too. However, if I wasn't pregnant at this present time then I think we would take the risk and go and get them done as we currently fall into Priority 3. I believe when you are pregnant you can't get the x-rays, i don't know if you can do the rest and submit x-rays later or not. We will probably have to wait until the baby is born in Jan 11 now.

It's such a shame they cut-down on the panel doctors in the UK, we did have them we were live. Not everyone lives in london / manchester / glasgow, etc.

Cheers

Claire

Guest rebeccae

Hi all, we applied in July 2008 for a 175 independant visa. My OH is a bricklayer, we have sent everything in (although meds etc. now expired) and heard nothing since.

I am pretty sure reading some posts that cat 3 will soon start to roll but i have a concern.

1. When the reccession hit my OH decided to retrain and has spent nearly the last two years studying! Will he be required to prove that after the application and before proccessing (skills verified) he has worked in this industry or is it that you only need to prove occupational skills and employment prior to application which he has done, its just that i have seen some posts (timeline) talking about skills varification that a CO requests when proccessing starts/CO assigned.

Thanks Rebecca

Hi Gill, for us it would probably cost another £300 - £500 for flights to probably Manchester or Glasgow to get our meds done and we would prob need 1/2 nights in a hotel too. However, if I wasn't pregnant at this present time then I think we would take the risk and go and get them done as we currently fall into Priority 3. I believe when you are pregnant you can't get the x-rays, i don't know if you can do the rest and submit x-rays later or not. We will probably have to wait until the baby is born in Jan 11 now.

It's such a shame they cut-down on the panel doctors in the UK, we did have them we were live. Not everyone lives in london / manchester / glasgow, etc.

Cheers

Claire

Hi Claire, re the x rays when i was pregnant last year and thought we were about to get a case officer (pre sept 23rd!) I did some research and rang panel doctor and it is fine to have x ray when pregnant, they would cover your whole abdominal area with a lead apron thing, risk is minimal, i was going to have them done but Sept 23rd happened, baby was born October and we had them done this year.

Lorraine

x

Hi Claire, re the x rays when i was pregnant last year and thought we were about to get a case officer (pre sept 23rd!) I did some research and rang panel doctor and it is fine to have x ray when pregnant, they would cover your whole abdominal area with a lead apron thing, risk is minimal, i was going to have them done but Sept 23rd happened, baby was born October and we had them done this year.

Lorraine

x

I am pregnant at present and was told as long as your over 12 weeks you can have the x ray using the lead apron. You can also request you have them done at a later date when baby is born as your baby will need to be added to your visa and have a medical too if your visa hasnt been granted or validated I think!

Hi all, we applied in July 2008 for a 175 independant visa. My OH is a bricklayer, we have sent everything in (although meds etc. now expired) and heard nothing since.

I am pretty sure reading some posts that cat 3 will soon start to roll but i have a concern.

1. When the reccession hit my OH decided to retrain and has spent nearly the last two years studying! Will he be required to prove that after the application and before proccessing (skills verified) he has worked in this industry or is it that you only need to prove occupational skills and employment prior to application which he has done, its just that i have seen some posts (timeline) talking about skills varification that a CO requests when proccessing starts/CO assigned.

Thanks Rebecca

Hi Rebecca

If your medicals have only recently expired, and you are priority 3, and you are prepared to make initial entry within 18 months of your medicals, it may be an idea to get your police clearances re-done and email ASPC and advise you are willing to travel soon and can they extend your medicals by 6 months. Otherwise you will have to repeat health and character.

Regards

Tony

Archived