Prices, looking good.

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

My wife and I sat down on the computer last night and checked out a few supermarket sites to compare a few things, now I should add that this alone certainly wouldn't influence our decision.

I am not as up to date with prices as my wife and I must say she was amazed at how cheap many things were. Overall I would say that 50% of goods were cheaper in the UK, 25% about the same and 25% were more expensive. Most daily necessities were cheaper over there.

I was using a more 'realistic' $2 to the pound conversion as that is more or less what it is give or take.

I'm not interested in hearing how someone was in the UK recently and a loaf of bread was $5, I am just commenting on facts found on the sites.

Guest proud2beaussie

It depends on where you shop in Australia or the UK,I spend a lot of time in the UK and I find many things over there are roughly the same price or slightly more expensive,a few things are cheaper, however when Jo comes here she always comments about how cheap things are compared to where she shops in the UK,personally I think this whole "Which is cheaper UK or AUS" thing has been done to death,I do agree with one thing though,

that is that I wouldn't let it influence my decision as to where I lived,I love Australia and I frankly would not care if prices here were twice or three times as expensive,this is where I want to be and

no amount of threads about grocery prices or house prices or car prices will ever change my mind and I suspect that is the same for people who want to be in the UK.

Find Perth expensive but reckon my salary reflects this so probably no diference in real terms.

If you're living here you just have to think AUD and stop converting prices all the time althugh I know that's difficult.

Guest chris955

I wasn't aware I was trying to change anybodies mind, this is posted in Moving back to the UK section.

I also said 'now I should add that this alone certainly wouldn't influence our decision.'

You could say maybe 75% of subjects have been done to death. I am posting on what I have found things from looking on some sites, just the facts of the matter.

Guest chris955

I have to say this again, look at where I posted this thread. It is for people moving back to the UK so I would imagine it could be of interest to people actually moving back to the UK NOT those happily living here.

If you're living here you just have to think AUD and stop converting prices all the time althugh I know that's difficult.

Guest proud2beaussie

umm,Chris,I really don't care where you posted the thread,people are entitled to post their views on any thread in any forum.

You say you have posted the "facts of the matter" well I have posted the "facts of the matter" as I see them which is that I find many things in the UK to be the same or more expensive,you apparently have a

different view,ok,fine,but just because my view does not happen to be the same as yours does not mean that I am wrong,or right,I am simply posting my views,now if you want people to only post things you agree with then I'm afraid that PIO isn't where you will find them.

My wife and I sat down on the computer last night and checked out a few supermarket sites to compare a few things, now I should add that this alone certainly wouldn't influence our decision.

I am not as up to date with prices as my wife and I must say she was amazed at how cheap many things were. Overall I would say that 50% of goods were cheaper in the UK, 25% about the same and 25% were more expensive. Most daily necessities were cheaper over there.

I was using a more 'realistic' $2 to the pound conversion as that is more or less what it is give or take.

I'm not interested in hearing how someone was in the UK recently and a loaf of bread was $5, I am just commenting on facts found on the sites.

My Mum came over at xmas and she was amased how expensive things were here, supermarkets, shampoos, toiletries etc, clothes and shoes, and she could not understand when I said lets go to the dollar shop and she said why do they call it a dollar shop when everything is over a dollar, she was telling me she has a pound shop now and nothing is over a pound, she even teleponed me and said she bought 10 rolls of loo roll for a pound, I said the money she saved on her loo rolls she had spent on the telephone call to me, she quickly said oh yeah and put the phone down.

Guest chris955

Something we did find to be more was big bags of dry dog food, not sure why but it was really expensive. Canned dog food wasn't though and they don't seem to do the rolls of dog meat which will really upset our dog. :biggrin:

Something we did find to be more was big bags of dry dog food, not sure why but it was really expensive. Canned dog food wasn't though and they don't seem to do the rolls of dog meat which will really upset our dog. :biggrin:

Hi think dry dog food prices vary a lot depending where you buy, Petsmart do big 15k bags and then the larger asda stores! We use to buy it where ever we saw it cheaper, also sometimes they do the 2 for a certain price, so yes shop around for that! We will do when we go back to the uk, Some smaller shops sell the rolls of dog meat, and some do internet delivery, Not sure where you are returning to, but i know a lot deliver to Dorset!

Guest chris955

Ah OK, thanks for that. I must admit we only looked at Sainsburys for the big bags. We are going back to Somerset or maybe Dorset hopefully.

I just had a look at Petsmart, 7 quid a bag so that makes it cheaper. Thanks again.

Guest proud2beaussie

I do find the dry dog kibbles are expensive here,I have a great dane who goes through a 20kg bag of Pedigree every 3 weeks,that works out at about $32.00 a bag,he also gets some tinned food but I quite often see the supermarkets like Coles having specials on the Pedigree brand for about $2.50 a can,he gets about 3 days out of a large can so it can be expensive to keep a big dog but I have always said if you can't afford to feed a pet properly then you shouldn't have them.

I'm not sure how much Jo pays for dry food in the UK but I think it's expensive because she gets a special food from her vet,the dry stuff from the supermarket is probably not that much dearer in the UK than here in Australia but I've never bought it there so I can't really compare them.

I do find the dry dog kibbles are expensive here,I have a great dane who goes through a 20kg bag of Pedigree every 3 weeks,that works out at about $32.00 a bag,he also gets some tinned food but I quite often see the supermarkets like Coles having specials on the Pedigree brand for about $2.50 a can,he gets about 3 days out of a large can so it can be expensive to keep a big dog but I have always said if you can't afford to feed a pet properly then you shouldn't have them.

I'm not sure how much Jo pays for dry food in the UK but I think it's expensive because she gets a special food from her vet,the dry stuff from the supermarket is probably not that much dearer in the UK than here in Australia but I've never bought it there so I can't really compare them.

Your right Nigel, the dry dog food here isn't that much more than the uk, what i have found different is the poop lol, it breaks down like chalk with Australian biscuit, Pain to pick up!!! But then again it doesn't stink half as bad!

Guest proud2beaussie

I checked the Tesco site and they sell Pedigree Beef And Vegetable dry food,3kg bag for £4.50 which is $7.71AUD,Coles supermarkets here sell a similar product in the same size bag for $9.80 so in fact it's cheaper to buy that product in the UK.

I checked the Tesco site and they sell Pedigree Beef And Vegetable dry food,3kg bag for £4.50 which is $7.71AUD,Coles supermarkets here sell a similar product in the same size bag for $9.80 so in fact it's cheaper to buy that product in the UK.

Wilkinsons are also good , we get pet treats from there , they are also great for cheap household cleaning products .

I buy a premium pet food james beloved its cost around 40 pound for a large bad and I use to pay similar in Sydney from petbarn for a large bag of eukanaba or similar .

Have no need to check out the pet stuff as I dont have pets in either place but I definitely find things cheaper there (and I really like Waitrose as well). Even the Australian wine is cheaper than the equivalent here (Shaw and Smith L2 cheaper at current exchange rates!). Petrol OTOH dearer.

Chris , i try to be a bull**** free zone ........my nephew saved a packet on sports goods when he was here the other week from queensland .......$60 on a pair of decent nikes......cheap as chips his aussie wife called it

ps Told you the UK was on the way back.......the only way we will fall back ,is if the " pessimistic public" take us there.

Guest chris955

Absolutely, the figures are definitely pointing to things being on the up and up, albeit slowly which is fine. Yes pessimism is the greatest enemy, I would love the UK public to be somewhere between where they are now and how Aussies are.

Have to agree with you chris am finding most things cheaper - did a shop online today which will probably last us 5 days - came to 127 pounds (haven't set up pound sign on my computer yet) regularly spent $400 in oz for the family not including booze.

Went shopping for clothes New Look and Gap about same prices as cheap shops in Oz - but better quality. Bought a really good quality suit and business shirt for 71 pounds in Next - would easily be about $190 in Oz ( trust me am comparing with similar quality outlets).

Also the whole shopping experience is lovely went to Windsor - there was an italian market in the street, designer shops for dreaming about shopping in and regular high street stores - a great buzz everywhere and lots of individuals ( not everyone looking the same). We stopped for a beer in the outdoor cafes and I thought it was on a par with my last visit to darling harbour but a lot lot cheaper and this is my local shopping centre.

Only one of us earning pounds at the moment so need to watch the spending - the big expense is on the house rental 1800 pounds per month! Though lovely large four bed house in gorgeous area.

We always buy 15kg Senior Light Jame Wellbeloved for our Golden Retriever at 40 pounds,

In Oz the Australian made Advance senior light was around $88 to $94

Archived