Swimming pool vs no swimming pool

Guest smell32

Plus if we put it in the corner of the garden we'll save money on the railings.

Howard

Just becareful when budgeting if you plan on doing this and look into in great detail first with the council. QLD has really strict rules and if the fence can be climed from your neighbours side, it will be deemed unsafe and council will not pass it. I am sure there is a set distance from the pool fence outwards where you cannot have anything,in case a child can use that item to climb into the pool area.

Hope this helps

Cal x

p.s ,, Jim (HB) don't drink so much next time,lol, there is nothing better on a summer evening than floating on your back watching the stars, the night sky can be out of this world!

another option is buy a property on a gated community with a communal pool. On our "estate" we had a pool with bbq area and function room, 4 tennis courts and a boat ramp onto the Albert & Logan river (full of bull sharks btw). perfect for bbqs because as soon as you got bored with the aussies telling you how awesome australia is you just point to the sky and say "isnt the northern cross beautiful" and as they stare skywards in a slack jawed trance you slip off home and bolt the doors.

Just becareful when budgeting if you plan on doing this and look into in great detail first with the council. QLD has really strict rules and if the fence can be climed from your neighbours side, it will be deemed unsafe and council will not pass it. I am sure there is a set distance from the pool fence outwards where you cannot have anything,in case a child can use that item to climb into the pool area.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Yeah we'll be doing loads of research before we even think about getting a pool but it sure is nice to know that we can have one we we decide we want one.

Cheers

Howard

Guest smell32

Thanks everyone for that. Most informative. I think the answer may be yes to a pool and install a salt water system if we have the option.

Appreciate all your help.

Guest guest30038
We are looking at living in Bracken ridge near kevs so we won't have to fork out for the cost of buying and upkeeping a pool, because we will be round at kevs brilliant pool.lol

A few beers and sausages for the barbie should pay our way, is that ok kev?:jiggy:

More than a few required Jim :tongue: :biggrin:

I refuse to have a pool while my boy is young; you can stick to all the fencing regulation you like, there's still about a dozen or so kids getting inside and drowning every year; fences are deterrents but if they really want to get over them, they will.

One of my rentals has a pool so I always try and get a friend renting it so I can use it whenever :-)

I'm not sure I wouldn't have a pool because i had kids, yes you need to keep an eye on them but teaching them to swim early will give you some peace of mind. There are also safety covers available "katch a kid" is one, not sure how effective those gate lock things that look like bike pumps are though, my kids had them sussed at 2 years old! The bubble wrap type covers have been known to be a danger to kids, they think they can walk on it then somehow get trapped under it or enveloped in it and drown. I know that my old place wanted extra insurance if a cover was to be used.

take the kids to the local pool for swimming lessons, i used to take my son every sat am, swim instructors were in the pools and inviting kids that were not swimmers to have some lessons, all free, that is a great idea,

I find if you have a few kids around for a pool party etc , you can spot the kids who dont have pools a mile away. They run around the outside of the pool, 'bomb' in without looking if anyone is in in their 'landing zone' etc etc. I think teaching kids water and pool safety along with learning to swim should be done at as young an age as possible for everyones benefit.

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EdisonCheug

well, not a small sum of money for me.

but if youre not in a tight budget, i think owning a pool is very cooool!

cause you can jump into the pool whenever you want, when the weather is hot.

We have had an inground pool for many years. day. It costs around $40 per month to run and that includes electricity for the filter which we run every day year round. We have a salt water chlorinator so have to put salt in but that is quite cheap. We live in Melbourne and have a solar heater for the pool so we use it about 4-5 months a year- late Nov to end of March more or less. If I had my time over I wouldn't bother, though. It was great when the kids were young and it is lovely when it is 40 degrees outside but a fair bit of constant work. You also have to make sure your fences are legal and make sure no silly kids prop the gates open when there are toddlers around. They don't add value to the house, either- quite the reverse because these days people don't want them.

They don't add value to the house, either- quite the reverse because these days people don't want them.

I was surprised last year when i heard pools don't add value to a property in Melbourne as its a totally different story here in QLD, a property with a pool can easily bring $10k+ more than an equivalent house without one.I guess its down to the weather.

Cal x

Archived