Australian Election Announced

Jimm

Guest proud2beaussie
Does this mean no SMPs till the new government is sworn in ? Isn't that great

Hi Jane,

I don't know the answer to that question,I wouldn't assume that the SMP's would be delayed though,there are certain conventions about what ministers can and can't do when a government is in "caretaker" mode,generally those conventions are that governments shouldn't agree to anything that could lock a new government into large expenditure of money or commit troops to wars etc but the business of government does not stop because an election has been called and the minister is still the minister right up till the declaration of the poll results so there may be no impediment to the minister signing off on the SMP"S especially if they sought the approval of the opposition first but I really can't be sure,I might be totally wrong here and I'm happy to admit it if I am.

I can't give a definitive answer to the question though,perhaps one of the migration agents would have a better knowledge about the subject?.

Cheers

Nigel

Edited to add:

This comes from a document released by the Department of Prime Minister And Cabinet released this year:

http://www.dpmc.gov.au/guidelines/docs/caretaker_conventions.pdf

1.3 During the caretaker period, the business of government continues and ordinary matters

of administration still need to be addressed. However, successive governments have

followed a series of practices, known as the ‘caretaker conventions’, which aim to ensure that

their actions do not bind an incoming government and limit its freedom of action. In

summary, the conventions are that the government avoids:

• making major policy decisions that are likely to commit an incoming government;

• making significant appointments; and

• entering major contracts or undertakings.

Editeed to add: One site I have looked at specifies that it is a convention that governments in caretaker mode should not

Implement major policy initiatives
I guess there may be some discussion as to what constitutes a :major" policy initiative,SMP"S may come under that title,I don't honestly know.

But the business of government continues during a campaign,for example we don't stop paying people pensions during a campaign .

Typical hubby hasnt been outta Oz for the last 4 years & the one time we decide to go on a 3week trip home the election comes along, now he needs to fill in an out of country form or he will be getting a fine :arghh:

and so does anyone know how I find out if I am registered to vote?? I filled in my purple form a couple of month ago..but do not know if received. I do not want to end up with fine. I live in Perth Western Australia

Sue

You cant vote you are not a citizen (are you? ) like the rest of us , i think the daylight saving vote might have been different if the newbies could have voted

Who is eligible to enrol?

Any person who:

• is 18* years of age or over, and
  • is an Australian citizen**, or
  • was a British subject on a Commonwealth electoral roll as at 25 January 1984. More information is available about British Subjects Eligibility; and
  • has lived for at least one month at their current address.

*If a person is 17 years old and an Australian citizen, they may enrol but are not entitled to vote until they turn 18. If you will turn 18 years old between the announcement of the election (date of the writ) and polling day and have not already applied for provisional enrolment, you have until close of rolls to apply for enrolment.

**A person who expects to become an Australian citizen between the date of the writ and polling day and is not already enrolled will have until close of rolls to apply for provisional enrolment. Their enrolment will be confirmed once they have provided evidence that they have been granted citizenship.

Note: A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment of three years or longer is not entitled to enrol or vote in federal elections.

Who is not eligible to enrol?

You are not qualified to enrol if you:

• are not 18 years of age or over (17 year olds may enrol provisionally but can not vote until they turn 18);
  • are not an Australian citizen;
  • are of unsound mind (incapable of understanding the nature and significance of voting);
  • have been convicted of treason or treachery and have not been pardoned.
  • are a permanent resident but not an Australian citizen

You cant vote you are not a citizen (are you? ) like the rest of us , i think the daylight saving vote might have been different if the newbies could have voted

haha Mally..here under false pretence really!!!! I'm an Oz in Oz!!!!

Will be getting a fine though if I don't this bloody form signed, witnessed and faxed tonight or tomorrow!!!!

Hope you don't chuck me off now!!!

Sue:wubclub:

Archived