Where did the 575,000 go??

Guest LongwayDown

Guest LongwayDown

Picture the scene your at a BBQ hot summer afternoon surrounded by people having a nice time. Then inevitably the subject arises... so could you ever live back in the UK after experiencing Australias delights?

What do you do? Stick with the protocol and announce Australia is the best country in the world and how could anyone even think about living anywhere else let alone that awful motherland....

Or do you admitt the truth, your homesick and although Australia is an excellent place you may think its time to go home.

Now ive made the mistake of the truth on several occasions and have been severely interrogated and lectured by both Aussies and Pomes. Probably more so Pomes. Is my sanity ok? Am i stupid etc. Ask any Pome who lives in Australia and he will tell you your wrong im told. But as i point out arent they the Pomes that stay?? Surely they are the ones who do prefer it here and are entitled to their oppinions. But then you wouldnt bump into anyone English who didnt like it or hear his oppinions because he doesnt live here does he????

My point is this if 600,000 British tourists visit Australia every year and on average 25000 migrate every year with 30% returning home within 4 years can anyone tell me where did the other 575000 go??

Its not as if its hard to get in the country any tradesmen, Butcher ,Baker,Candlestick maker on the skills list can get his visa within months.

Any ideas??

I think that a lot of people are struggling to get visa's at the moment and it really isn't that easy (if you read the threads on here), but that aside as a Pozzie (a pom with Aus citizenship), I say each to their own, everyone is different and shouldn't be berrated for being homesick and wanting to return to the UK ... lifes much too short to spend it being unhappy ... if going back to the UK is within your control ... then do it.

Guest Guest31881

My point is this if 600,000 British tourists visit Australia every year and on average 25000 migrate every year with 30% returning home within 4 years can anyone tell me where did the other 575000 go??

Its not as if its hard to get in the country any tradesmen, Butcher ,Baker,Candlestick maker on the skills list can get his visa within months.

Any ideas??

Sorry i do not follow your logic, 600,000 tourists, arrive, and i presume go home after their holiday. 25000 migrate? 30% go home so 70% stay. where does the 575,000 come into the equasion? or are you trying to say out of the 600,000 tourists, 25,000 stay so 575,000 go home after their holiday? and its not that easy to get a visa, some have been waiting over 3 yrs

Guest Guest37175
Presume they went home after a good holiday.

Ditto that. Just as 9 out of 10 Poms in Oz are not desperate to return to the UK, only a comparatively small number of Brits have their eye on a permanent move to Oz.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Any ideas??

Could it be like here in the uk where 10 times more than your figure of 575,000 are actually just hiding out with no intention of going home?:biglaugh:

Picture the scene your at a BBQ hot summer afternoon surrounded by people having a nice time. Then inevitably the subject arises... so could you ever live back in the UK after experiencing Australias delights?

What do you do? Stick with the protocol and announce Australia is the best country in the world and how could anyone even think about living anywhere else let alone that awful motherland....

Or do you admitt the truth, your homesick and although Australia is an excellent place you may think its time to go home.

Now ive made the mistake of the truth on several occasions and have been severely interrogated and lectured by both Aussies and Pomes. Probably more so Pomes. Is my sanity ok? Am i stupid etc. Ask any Pome who lives in Australia and he will tell you your wrong im told. But as i point out arent they the Pomes that stay?? Surely they are the ones who do prefer it here and are entitled to their oppinions. But then you wouldnt bump into anyone English who didnt like it or hear his oppinions because he doesnt live here does he????

Any ideas??

Not that easy surely? have you read the posts from the hundreds on here who have been waiting years?

Guest LongwayDown

First of all srp its equation not equasion. Dont shoot the messenger. I ve just relayed some figures/statistics which state that the majority of people who visit Australia from the UK have a nice holiday but have no intention of making it a permanent move. Hence 600,000 visitors who have first hand experience of the country but still only 25000 migrants who actually take the plunge. Isnt that around 4%? I was suprised to read myself that 30% of the people who did make the move permanent returned after 4 years. Since these statistics are clearly wrong as Ozceptic, clearly an authority who has been personally counting them, points out 90% stay then ill take his word for it. I think Helen is right too 575000 are probably hiding here somewhere and the Aussie government cant find them. Which over the last 10 years would be 5.75million so Australia really has a population of 25million. No wonder the government lost its surplus. Lol.

All im pointing out is that when i came here on a busmans holiday with 7 friends 5 went home with no intention of staying and two of us stayed. Each to their own, im still here and enjoying it but you cant argue with statistics can you??

Guest Guest31881
First of all srp its equation not equasion. Dont shoot the messenger. I ve just relayed some figures/statistics which state that the majority of people who visit Australia from the UK have a nice holiday but have no intention of making it a permanent move. Hence 600,000 visitors who have first hand experience of the country but still only 25000 migrants who actually take the plunge. Isnt that around 4%? I was suprised to read myself that 30% of the people who did make the move permanent returned after 4 years. Since these statistics are clearly wrong as Ozceptic, clearly an authority who has been personally counting them, points out 90% stay then ill take his word for it. I think Helen is right too 575000 are probably hiding here somewhere and the Aussie government cant find them. Which over the last 10 years would be 5.75million so Australia really has a population of 25million. No wonder the government lost its surplus. Lol.

All im pointing out is that when i came here on a busmans holiday with 7 friends 5 went home with no intention of staying and two of us stayed. Each to their own, im still here and enjoying it but you cant argue with statistics can you??

Sorry but this post makes more sense than your first, now I understand what you are saying. Oh by the way, before you criticise me for one typo error I suggest you check your own spelling, I can see 5 mistakes, :biggrin:

Guest chris955

Only a tiny number of Brits move to this country each year, it's not like every man and his dog wants to come here. If I am asked the question I am always honest, I like it here but for many reasons I want to live in England, it makes no difference to me if I get stupid or uninformed comments really.

Most people who come here on holiday no doubt return to their lives with no intentions of moving here. We both love Singapore and when we are there think it would be a lovely place to live but that's as far as it ever gets, I assume it's the same with people coming here.

Guest guest36762
First of all srp its equation not equasion. Dont shoot the

Blimey

I thought it was only me who corrected spelling mistakes

Looking at the stats, lets take the latest year there are figures for. 2008-2009:

21,567 people migrated from the UK to Australia. Source: Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 2. Key Facts in Immigration

In the same period (2008-2009) 6160 UK born people people departed permanently from Australia. Source: Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 5. Emigration from Australia

Of those 6160, only just above half of those (53.5%) actually return 'home' to the UK. Source: Source: Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 5. Emigration from Australia

Also, Most (79.2 per cent) of overseas-born people who left Australia permanently in 2008-09 had lived here for more than five years. (Same source as above)

Guest LongwayDown

lol i was only joking about the spelling. I never could figure out those spell checking devices on a computer.

Guest LongwayDown

Cerberus thats exactly my point your looking at 'statistics' which dont lie. However most just reiterate their own opinion and wont look at facts in the face.

I am not a fan of statistics, many are guestamates as they are not measurable, or if they are, not accurately... I came here last year, I plan to get the hell out of here by the end of this year... at what point do I become a stat on their returnee list? does somone ask me on the way out if I am coming back? No. On top of that, I could come and go as I please for the next 2 years which would also bugger their books up.

Guest proud2beaussie
does somone ask me on the way out if I am coming back? No.
Yeah they do actually.

The figures come from IPC's and OPC's that all international travellers are required to complete,the outgoing passenger card asks whether you are a visitor or temporary resident departing or an Australian permanent resident,it also asks how long you intend to be out of the country or there is also a box for Australian resident departing permanently,they also use airline passenger manifests as well,the DIAC movement records database is one of the most accurate border control databases in the world .

http://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/systems/movement-records.htm

It's obviously not 100% accurate,no database ever is,but the DIAC system is very accurate by world standards so the statistics they release are pretty reliable.

And yes it's true that anyone who has the correct visa can come and go but each time they do an entry is made on the

movement database and the record is there for as long as the regulations allow the department to keep it.

Archived