Flat packing goods, vac-packing and space filling

Hi all,

We are packing up in 3 weeks and putting our stuff into storage with Pickfords before we sort our visa's to move.

I have had several shippers in to quote for removals and they all seem to have said various different things that I'm finding confusing.

For example, Pickfords told us not to bother taking the fridge and freezer as they wont get cold enough over there. I have insisted that they take the fridge though they didnt quote for our small freezer. Is this true or an Urban legend?

Also, for some bizzare reason, they have insisted to ship our huge IKEA bookcase assembled (and empty) rather than flat packing it to create more space?! Are we able to tell the packers on the day that we want it flat packed or just do it ourselves in advance? Surely they wont make us re-assemble it?

My husband is taking his snap on tool box and Pickfords have said that they will remove all his tools and pack them in seperate boxes as the toolbox will be too heavy fully laiden? Some other shippers have said that sending it complete is acceptable? Why are they saying different things? To be honest, I think hubby will be happier with it all in the toolbox.

Finally, did anyone vac pack their clothing and bedding to take over in the container? We were told that it is not advisable due to condensation or some other random fact? We have loads of clothing and I cant understand why vac packing is not recommended, esp as all the air is sucked out so there is no air to cause mold anyway?

I do feel that the shippers are not really interested in space saving at all!!!

Guest karl n
Hi all,

We are packing up in 3 weeks and putting our stuff into storage with Pickfords before we sort our visa's to move.

I have had several shippers in to quote for removals and they all seem to have said various different things that I'm finding confusing.

For example, Pickfords told us not to bother taking the fridge and freezer as they wont get cold enough over there. I have insisted that they take the fridge though they didnt quote for our small freezer. Is this true or an Urban legend?

Also, for some bizzare reason, they have insisted to ship our huge IKEA bookcase assembled (and empty) rather than flat packing it to create more space?! Are we able to tell the packers on the day that we want it flat packed or just do it ourselves in advance? Surely they wont make us re-assemble it?

My husband is taking his snap on tool box and Pickfords have said that they will remove all his tools and pack them in seperate boxes as the toolbox will be too heavy fully laiden? Some other shippers have said that sending it complete is acceptable? Why are they saying different things? To be honest, I think hubby will be happier with it all in the toolbox.

Finally, did anyone vac pack their clothing and bedding to take over in the container? We were told that it is not advisable due to condensation or some other random fact? We have loads of clothing and I cant understand why vac packing is not recommended, esp as all the air is sucked out so there is no air to cause mold anyway?

I do feel that the shippers are not really interested in space saving at all!!!

Howdy,

We had the shipping people in at the beginning of last week, we used PSS removals. We also had them come get our stuff from a storage facility as we had sold our house at Christmas. Have to say they were excellent, there was only three of them but despite this they motored through our stuff efficiently & carefully & were all done in about five hours.

As for the information you've been given some of it sounds a bit sketchy to me, First up about the fridge we had lots of quotes too & ALL of them said it's fine to bring to bring the fridge, i mean seriously i can't believe the bloke who told "they won't get cold enough", they're not convertable models! LOL!

As for the bookcase i reckon if you flat pack it down they won't say a word, after it's your furniture & it's up to you how you want it transported, we flat packed down a number of items & they were fine about it.

I, like your husband have sent my Snap-on toolbox too, i decided on keeping the tools in their drawers, i wanted it like way because this way i'll be able to tell if anything is missing or not straight away, again the movers were fine about it, i locked everything up & didn't leave a key for customs by the way, if they want to have a look inside fair enough but i'll make sure i'm there when they open it, after all Snap-on tools cost a bomb!

Also i'm sure your husband is already aware but tell him to make sure everything is spotless, tools & box (even down to the underside & the wheels, i've heard they can be fairly strict about those types of items).

As far as vac packing we put quite a few items in vac bags but on the day they told us it was a bad idea, mainly because of the routes the cargo ships take & the varying weather conditions, being that all your stuff is in a large metal container lots of things would be prone to sweating & all that, my view is that they probably know better than me on that subject. It's a company policy for them not to take "vac'd" items anyhow.

I hope i've been of some help & sorry for going on for such a long while!

Karl.

Guest wingywangwoo

we used dorree bonner to move us over and they were excellent, we didnt take the fridge and freezer, that was our choice, but the mention of cooling temperatures is rubbish, this is why they have temperature modulation. we also flat packed everything we could to save space and we also vac packed all the linen and threw in some silicone satchets and all was fine apart from three bags split and even then all was fine.

At the end of the day these people are working for you not the other way around so remember that

One final point to show what idiots these people are we had one company out who said even flat packing all our stuff and all the boxes etc we would need a 40ft container, even after all others said we can get away with a 20 ft , so watch the cons, we had lots of space left after everything went on

Fridges - urban myth. The ambient temperature in a centrally heated UK kitchen ain't that far of that of a Australian kitchen in summertime. The fridge has to work a little harder (the compressor stays on a little longer) as in Australia you may be have to open the door more frequently.

Funnily enough, fridges actually turn off if the ambient gets too cold in which case there is no refrigeration and stuff begins to warm up.

Oh, and sometimes the light stays on even when the door is shut!

Cheers.

Guest guest36187

My question is:

Why storage all your stuff BEFORE you sort out a visa? They can take months?

We were told NOT to vaccumm pack any material items, be it bedding or clothes as the change in temperature on the journey here 'could' create condensation which would turn the items mouldy.

Lots of people have brought fridge freezers and they work find, i agree with the previous poster in that the old saying ''they wont get cold enough'' is just not true.

My hubby brought his tools, they remained in his tool box, locked with a key taped to the lid. Hubby did however take a few essential tools out so he could bring them in hand luggage for when we first arrived.

Good Luck and i hope this helps a little

Cal x

Guest guest36187

Tools must be spotless. VERY clean otherwise you could get charged for cleaning them. They made Mark pay for cleaning his tools and then they put them back in the dirty box?????

Archived