State Migration Plans and State Sponsorship

Alan Collett

good luck, where are you going to? we are looking at perth

april

Hi April

We are looking at Perth also. My uncle has a small haidressing salon that my wife will be working out of. When we eventually get there.

Makes me laugh.... Sponsored.... Visa lodged..... Job offer !!!!.... STILL WAITING !!!!

Shane

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bebac30
Just got an e-mail from Victoria, I will not need to re-apply and my ASCO trade evaluation is still valid, don't know about other states, but it sounds promising.

Hm, i am sposored by Vic also and two days ago i got reply on same question that they are unable to advise me about SMP and to check website for any update!?

Obvously it depends on who is answering but unfotunately it seems that noone knows anything about how it will work.

Hello,

I just joined your forum and I'm wondering if someone can help me. I am one of the many applicants in the pipeline but I was not given enough info upon the lodging of my application. Can someone pls explai what is th difference between subclass 175 and 885??

cheers

Hello,

I just joined your forum and I'm wondering if someone can help me. I am one of the many applicants in the pipeline but I was not given enough info upon the lodging of my application. Can someone pls explai what is th difference between subclass 175 and 885??

cheers

I believe a Subclass 175 is an offshore visa application (i.e. you live in the uk and want to move to OZ) and a subclass 885 is an onshore visa application (i.e. you live in oz now and want permanent residency to remain there) . if you check out this link you can find all the info you need. Department of Immigration & Citizenship

Carlos

My agent said we can't lodge visa now until we have state sponsorship! Great now have to wait until SMP's come out then have to wait for 6 months for SS (WA) by then new points system might be in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby turns 40 in August!

Just got an e-mail from Victoria, I will not need to re-apply and my ASCO trade evaluation is still valid, don't know about other states, but it sounds promising.

Hi Mark,

This seems good news,Can you please tell whats your SS ASCO code and are you able to map your ASCO on schedule 4 or normal SOL (schedule 3).

I am actually confused about my case,I have VIC SS of 2231-79 valid till sep,and my ASCO code has mapping in schedule 4 only.I am not sure can I go ahead and lodge 176 now without any SMP?

Please provide your feedback.

Guest TinaG

Has anyone any idea when SA might start offering SS again for those daft idiots like me, who failed to complete her 176 application before the cut off but did manage to get her SS application in on time, but has now just sat there for the past six weeks. I'm now getting really despondant looking every day to see if anything has changed.

Has anyone any idea when SA might start offering SS again for those daft idiots like me, who failed to complete her 176 application before the cut off but did manage to get her SS application in on time, but has now just sat there for the past six weeks. I'm now getting really despondant looking every day to see if anything has changed.

Next month, so far as I know ...

Best regards.

Guest TinaG

Thanks; I cant apply for my 176 without the SS, can I ?, I'm 5 points short of the 175 as are most nurses now. I know I haven't waited any time really in comparison to so many on PIO, but its the inactivity, thats doing my head in, all the time I was getting things arranged I was quite happy, but just keep waiting is dreadful, Lord knows what I'll be like once my visa application is in.

As your occupation is on Schedule 3 of the new SOL I think you may be able to apply now for a s/c 175 visa with 100 points or more, and once you have secured State sponsorship your application would progress with the lower points threshold that pertains to State sponsored skilled apps ... maybe discuss strategy with an agent if you don't have one already.

In case of need: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

Note: See also my posting #93 below.

Best regards.

Guest AustrAnglian

Alan,

You are suggesting it may still be possible to move from a (post-1-July) 175 to 176 which is a different interpretation of comlaw provided by George Lombard in his post below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78424-thread-agents-only-re-new-gsm-changes-10.html#post787109

I know all agents are doing their best to read DIAC's cryptic tea leaves. Just wondering if I've misunderstood something here?

.......and totally agree on the need for a good RMA these days.

Guest ChiltzandTig

Hi Allan

We would love to know the answer to the question of whether we can apply for a 175 then switch to 176 once ss is secured, too? Seems it's not clear whether you can or can't, and we don't want to run the risk of losing the fee, nor the chance of a visa. Thanks!

We had an internal (within Go Matilda, incorporating OE Visas and Tony Coates) discussion about this issue earlier in the week.

We presently believe (based on DIAC practice in the past) that a s/c 175 application will be processed to a decision as a 175, even if State sponsorship eventuates - in other words the application won't transition to a s/c 176 following State sponsorship, and will be finalised under the original 175 subclass.

Remember that a s/c 175 application can be lodged with 100 points:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

I again say that TinaG should discuss this issue - and consider engaging - a RMA if she wants to consider lodging an application now to get "ahead of the pack." She ought not proceed based solely on my comments on a discussion forum.

Best regards.

Hi Allan

We would love to know the answer to the question of whether we can apply for a 175 then switch to 176 once ss is secured, too? Seems it's not clear whether you can or can't, and we don't want to run the risk of losing the fee, nor the chance of a visa. Thanks!

Again, you should consider engaging a competent advisor so due consideration can be given to your strategy.

I'm afraid we are not able to give authoritative advice in relatively risky times unless a fee agreement is in place.

Best regards.

Guest andy crawley

hi all, we got are visa granted in may, and reading all this i feel blessed we have are visa even though we waited 2 and a half years for it!!

I feel for you all. Andy

A further comment: I have had another read of the Explanatory Memo to the relevant change to the Migration Regulations, and it appears relatively clear that if one is going to seek grant of a visa under subclass 176 a sponsorship must in place at the time the visa application is lodged.

In other words, what was a time of decision requirement is now a time of application requirement.

Best regards.

My 175 application went in, in October 2008, and was changed to 176 in February this year, DIAC confirmed this, and said it would be dated to my original 175 from 2008, they also said that it would mean that I should be at the top of the pile when the SMPs come out.

Mark,

* Your application was lodged prior to the recent changes.

* In recent posts we have been discussing the lodging of a valid visa application and the requirements of the subclass under which it will be processed, not the prioritisation of an application once it has been lodged.

Best regards.

Guest ChiltzandTig

Thanks Alan for the reply. We made the decision a while ago to do the application ourselves, as we are a relatively straightforward case.

The fact that you were saying something different to George L. re. 175 switch to 176 was what caused me to ask the question.

I think we will call DIAC tomorrow night and see if we can get an answer from them directly. Will post response if we get any clarity!

That's brilliant, so lucky to have a job to go to.

If he needs anymore staff give us a shout, lol.

Where abouts is the salon?

April

Hi April

His salon is in Perth CBD in a lovely terrace of shops called London Court.

My wife is itching to get over .

Thanks Alan for the reply. We made the decision a while ago to do the application ourselves, as we are a relatively straightforward case.

The fact that you were saying something different to George L. re. 175 switch to 176 was what caused me to ask the question.

I think we will call DIAC tomorrow night and see if we can get an answer from them directly. Will post response if we get any clarity!

Actually I think the important point is that new applicants wanting to use state sponsorship need the state sponsorship in place before they apply. This is one of the many changes to take place on 1 July, and unfortunately insufficiently advertised by DIAC. But if you go to Australian Immigration - Legislation Change Update you can see the details in the second dot point under "client summary":

"require applicants for certain General Skilled Migration visas to be nominated by a state or territory government agency or to be sponsored by an eligible person in order to make a valid application to align with the relevant changes to the definition of "skilled occupation" "

In effect this will give the Department a 1-4 month holiday from any "spike" caused by the announcement of SMPs. Existing visa applicants are not affected and can still switch between a 175, a 176 (state sponsored) and a 176 (family sponsored).

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Petra & Dave

I keep seeing and reading loads on SMP etc but cant find any info on whats happening with 175,s can any one help please

Cheers Dave

Looking at George's post above, I've had two thoughts:

Eliminating the 15 MODL points makes it difficult to get a 175 visa these days. So most applicants are going to have to wait on being granted state sponsorship before they can lodge with DIAC. This will stop large numbers applying at the last minute before announced changes are implemented.

It will also prevent applications from those who can't get state sponsorship from ever being lodged.

It strikes me as being a pretty clever piece of legislation.

Archived