What have you got to do to get a job??????

Guest tsubo

Guest tsubo

Its our 2nd go at living over here, we came with little money (stupid I know) but with massive motivation to succeed. Getting bits of work here and there, but nothing that could pay the bills. Agencies are a load of cr*p to say the least, you do what they ask, register, get white card, police check etc etc, and never ever hear back again, email and phone them to no avail. Can someone tell me what you have to do to gain a fairly decent job here, just basic non -skilled work? wife is having dramas aswell and she has 10 yrs experience in community health development. Any advice welcome!

TSUBO

Its our 2nd go at living over here, we came with little money (stupid I know) but with massive motivation to succeed. Getting bits of work here and there, but nothing that could pay the bills. Agencies are a load of cr*p to say the least, you do what they ask, register, get white card, police check etc etc, and never ever hear back again, email and phone them to no avail. Can someone tell me what you have to do to gain a fairly decent job here, just basic non -skilled work? wife is having dramas aswell and she has 10 yrs experience in community health development. Any advice welcome!

TSUBO

you need to cover yourself in boot polish and come on a boat,then you dont have to work and they will house you and also give you almost $1000 per week ,free medical service the lot.........try it pal,everyone else is and they are being welcomed with open arms........

TSUBO

I'm in Sydney and have had similar luck. Its just a case of persistence and tailoring your resume and application letter to each job you apply for. I've been applying for jobs since May. I've had 2 interviews and a lot more knock backs. I think I may have one in the bag now though as they are requesting my references.

I used seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au. There seem to be a lot of management jobs in the health sector, so i'm sure your wife will get something eventually..

Hope this helps. Stay strong. Persistence and patience will win the day

Regards

Guest gratom

Friend had same problem;had to return to UK when savings ran out--got a job immediately,followed by a promotion.Good luck.:err:

Guest tsubo
you need to cover yourself in boot polish and come on a boat,then you dont have to work and they will house you and also give you almost $1000 per week ,free medical service the lot.........try it pal,everyone else is and they are being welcomed with open arms........

Totally agree, we are totally fed up and loosing the will to live, no wonder ppl hit the bottle haha

thanks

Nice...make light of peoples tragedy...

Guest tsubo
I'm in Sydney and have had similar luck. Its just a case of persistence and tailoring your resume and application letter to each job you apply for. I've been applying for jobs since May. I've had 2 interviews and a lot more knock backs. I think I may have one in the bag now though as they are requesting my references.

I used seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au. There seem to be a lot of management jobs in the health sector, so i'm sure your wife will get something eventually..

Hope this helps. Stay strong. Persistence and patience will win the day

Regards

Oh we are trying our best to stay strong i can assure you, we cannot go back now, we have invested far too much, the thing is my wife was urged to apply for a particular position in the field of work she is highly experienced in, only to be told she didnt get the job, it went to someone inside!!! so she picked her self up and applied for a position in something less demanding, she got passed the interview, asked to do to trial shifts then got told `we have taken someone on with more experience` WTF, she can run rings round the lot of them, sorry I know i am biased,, chin up, eh????

Guest tsubo
Nice...make light of peoples tragedy...

Comeon theyre just joking, cant you see that, I would never make fun of other peoples misery for Gods sake,, this forum isnt like those other ones is it? whereby you cannot make light of some depressing news? ppl are too quick to judge these days, if this forum is like that, im sorry i signed up !!!

Hi Tsubo,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. Register on the sister site ( www.pomsinadelaide.com) as most of the people who are already in Adelaide post on there. Get your wife to send a PM to Boxertony as he is in community welfare. Not been here long but seems to have made heaps of contacts in that area. There are also many others who I'm sure could give you both a few contacts. They are the friendliest bunch and already in Adelaide.

Best of luck, Kazza

PS Don't right off all the agencies. A couple off the PIA members are working in agencies and are passionate about helping out ex-pats. Just ask for advice on the best ones for you and your circumstances.

Guest tsubo
Hi Tsubo,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. Register on the sister site ( www.pomsinadelaide.com) as most of the people who are already in Adelaide post on there. Get your wife to send a PM to Boxertony as he is in community welfare. Not been here long but seems to have made heaps of contacts in that area. There are also many others who I'm sure could give you both a few contacts. They are the friendliest bunch and already in Adelaide.

Best of luck, Kazza

PS Don't right off all the agencies. A couple off the PIA members are working in agencies and are passionate about helping out ex-pats. Just ask for advice on the best ones for you and your circumstances.

Hi kazza and thanks,, no im not slagghingoff ALL agencies, just the ones Iv ebeen involved with haha, my daughter has actually secured a job thru an agency a few wks ago. If you arre in call centre work you will be laffing !!!!

Living the dream NOT

Tsubo

Totally agree, we are totally fed up and loosing the will to live, no wonder ppl hit the bottle haha

thanks

they have it wrong here at the moment , should be looking after our own......ive got problems trying to get parents in ,they want $36,000 from them, each!!!!

pensioners who have worked all their life here get 2or3 hundred $ , some one sails here on a boat ,cant speak a word of English ,will not contribute nothing to the economy gets treated like royalty !!!!its all wrong what they are doing......keep trying pal , something will turn up.......why dont you go on a 6 week basic welding course , if your in perth i could show you how its done pal ....good luck ........Fish needs to find his/her sense of humour......

Guest tsubo
they have it wrong here at the moment , should be looking after our own......ive got problems trying to get parents in ,they want $36,000 from them, each!!!!

pensioners who have worked all their life here get 2or3 hundred $ , some one sails here on a boat ,cant speak a word of English ,will not contribute nothing to the economy gets treated like royalty !!!!its all wrong what they are doing......keep trying pal , something will turn up.......why dont you go on a 6 week basic welding course , if your in perth i could show you how its done pal ....good luck ........Fish needs to find his/her sense of humour......

Hi and thanks, im in adelaide (dont ask me why haha) anyhow i may do the cert 3 indisbility/aged care, if i sell my car in UK to pay for it, rather have have a job now tho in anything non -skilled just to earn money, mad thing is im a hard worker, reliable and have excellent work refs,, sod em

Guest tsubo
LOL - maybe 90% of them eh? There are some shockers but there's some good ones too so don't give up. Hope your daughters new job goes well. Which part of SA are you in?

Near Marion

If you are in Perth look at the West Australian newspaper Wednedays and Saturdays (job nights).

We applied for quite a few jobs out of that and got jobs within 2 weeks and both on the same day ironically. Seemed to spend ages going on seek.com and contacting agencies to no avail. :arghh:

Comeon theyre just joking, cant you see that, I would never make fun of other peoples misery for Gods sake,, this forum isnt like those other ones is it? whereby you cannot make light of some depressing news? ppl are too quick to judge these days, if this forum is like that, im sorry i signed up !!!

They dont get dressed up in white sheets for nowt

Guest tsubo
why dont u move to perth , give it one more go ,theres shed loads of jobs that pay good money...........even become a TA and then pick peoples brains , these TA`S are on a good screw too!

i tony, the mad thing is we changed our SA visas to WA ones last year, but then changed them back again cause our girls who are 15 & 19 wanted to return to SA???? dont ask me why cause it was hard for us last time,, jobs here are from who ya know, not what ya know,, very very sad. Makes me angry tho, cause they are so far behind its untrue.

thanks tho

TSUBO

It's up to each one of us to judge whether they were joking or not. I disagree with your judgement. Because of public opinion a lot of boat people have been hurt. I find boot polish jokes about them inferring they are all abusing the system a step too far given what damage spreading this sort of opinion has allowed govts to do to these people.

Guest DAVEBOBB
Hi kazza and thanks,, no im not slagghingoff ALL agencies, just the ones Iv ebeen involved with haha, my daughter has actually secured a job thru an agency a few wks ago. If you arre in call centre work you will be laffing !!!!

Living the dream NOT

Tsubo

I definitely feel there is some kind of discrimination going on here, can't figure out what it is though. i am well qualified and experienced for the jobs I have been applying for but I don't even get asked for an interview. Now I have got a job at a call centre lol!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Seabird50

TSUBO

Move interstate? Seriously, SA is the cradle of nepotism. The first conversation people have here at an interview is which School you went to - only then do they seem to discuss what you've done.. astonishing in 2010, but everything from jobs to funding seems to come down to who you know. I have seen this in the workplace the first day a new person starts. Even at meetings - you are evaluated by your School. It can confuse the hell out of an Adelaide born-and-bred when they suddenly realise that you don't even KNOW where their School is... Strange mentality, but I love them otherwise.. Good luck with it all, there are jobs out there and it is just a matter of time before you meet the right employer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tsubo
Move interstate? Seriously, SA is the cradle of nepotism. The first conversation people have here at an interview is which School you went to - only then do they seem to discuss what you've done.. astonishing in 2010, but everything from jobs to funding seems to come down to who you know. I have seen this in the workplace the first day a new person starts. Even at meetings - you are evaluated by your School. It can confuse the hell out of an Adelaide born-and-bred when they suddenly realise that you don't even KNOW where their School is... Strange mentality, but I love them otherwise.. Good luck with it all, there are jobs out there and it is just a matter of time before you meet the right employer.

thanks for that,, I would deffo move interstate, maybe Melbourne but wife not ready for yet another move,,,Adelaide seriously is blue rinse city !!!! lovely place though just not a nice place when you cant get a decent enough job,,wife took a job that she is well over qualified in,, but money is money!!!

tsubo

Guest tsubo
I definitely feel there is some kind of discrimination going on here, can't figure out what it is though. i am well qualified and experienced for the jobs I have been applying for but I don't even get asked for an interview. Now I have got a job at a call centre lol!!!!

its disgusting my wife was the same, she didnt get a job that she has been qualified & experienced in for 10 yrs, she even delivered the training in it to GPs, pharmacists etc and they told her the job went internally!!! we will give it a year back here in Adelaide, if it doesnt improve, we will move on interstate.

good luck in your new job

TSUBO

I hope you are able to find something soon, Adelaide has a smaller job market than Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Join a sporting or other club even if you don't play, social member and its surprising who you will meet that may be able to assist.

Archived