Is Adelaide better than Queensland?

Guest guest32776

Brang

Presented by Kel Richards

Is brang a real word?

Brang does appear in the big Unabridged Websters.

We hear children saying “I brang something” instead of “I brought something” – and we correct their grammar. “No, Nigel,” we say gently, “brang is not a proper word.” However, if young Nigel is up to speed, he might point out that Neil Diamond uses brang in his pop classic “Play me”. The “Hot August Night” man sings:

Song she sang to me

Song she brang to me

Words that rang in me

Rhyme that sprang from me

Yes, there really was a brang in there! Well, brang does appear in the big Unabridged Websters – where it’s defined as “the past tense of bring” with added note: “non-standard”. And the complete Oxford English Dictionary also notes the existence of brang with the explanation that it’s the Scottish past tense of the verb “to bring”. So perhaps young Nigel can get away with brang as long as he can show Scottish ancestry.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi everyone, I have been in Australia with my husband for 2 years in Queensland and I really hate it. For a while I loved the beaches, water and weather but now I feel a yearning for all things European. The casual racism, the brash stupidity of the overweight simple minded high viz yokels, the plastic retail park life style and the absence of any decent food or wine seems to represent the country to me now...

We are looking to move down to Adelaide in the hope things might be a little more sophisticated. Hopefully there might be some more intelligent people, a higher percentage of ethnic groups and alternative life stylers, good restaurants and bars and some pretty buildings.

Can any one give me an honest opinion? Is Adelaide worth it? Or should we just pack our bags and head home?

I've never been to Queensland.....Yet.

But I have stayed in Adelaide once, and Melbourne loads of times.

I would tell you that Adelaide is lovely and reminds me of Oxford. Melbourne is different.

Adelaide is what I see Australia as being when I look at brochures. Melbourne is more like several American towns in style linked together by a motorway.

If that makes sense.

Simple reason we chose adelaide/S.A? because as far as i know Queensland is warm most of the time,and clammy?

So weatherwise it "seems" to suit us more,altho im NOT looking forward to the heat in S.A summer.

Another reason we chose it is because it had less brit migrants:biglaugh:,at least a cpl of yrs ago it did.

LOL ah interesting thread...

Funny really we were looking at Adelaide and then when we got there decided it was too European and went the other way! :cute:

SO I must say Queensland (GC/Bris area)

LOL ah interesting thread...

Funny really we were looking at Adelaide and then when we got there decided it was too European and went the other way! :cute:

SO I must say Queensland (GC/Bris area)

Hi Luke, if you read the original post again, you will see that they are looking for something more European - so maybe, for them, Adelaide will be perfect. :wink:

Sounds to me like they're also looking for a bit of "class", without actually saying it, and there's a lot of classy places in Adelaide - both old and new. After Townsville, they will probably be blown away taking a stroll around North Adelaide, the city, the East End, Burnside shopping centre, King William and Unley Roads, West Lakes, Semaphore, Grange, Henley, Glenelg and Brighton, the Adelaide Hills or any of the eastern suburbs. The arts and festival scene is amazing, ditto for all the wine regions, Mediterranean climate (no humidity) and plenty good sailing clubs as well.

Cheers, Kazza

Hi Luke, if you read the original post again, you will see that they are looking for something more European - so maybe, for them, Adelaide will be perfect. :wink:

Sounds to me like they're also looking for a bit of "class", without actually saying it, and there's a lot of classy places in Adelaide - both old and new. After Townsville, they will probably be blown away taking a stroll around North Adelaide, the city, the East End, Burnside shopping centre, King William and Unley Roads, West Lakes, Semaphore, Grange, Henley, Glenelg and Brighton, the Adelaide Hills or any of the eastern suburbs. The arts and festival scene is amazing, ditto for all the wine regions, Mediterranean climate (no humidity) and plenty good sailing clubs as well.

Cheers, Kazza

Almost all the capitals can offer those sort of areas so they have many choices

I believe it's to help SA to boost it's population as there is a big skills shortage, particularly in defence, mining and engineering. Although everywhere that isn't already "over-populated" is classified as regional in the eyes of DIAC. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are more or less at breaking point, infrastructure wise, so they are trying to encourage more migrants to try elsewhere - hence the sudden push for State sponsored visas last year.

I believe it's to help SA to boost it's population as there is a big skills shortage, particularly in defence, mining and engineering. Although everywhere that isn't already "over-populated" is classified as regional in the eyes of DIAC. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are more or less at breaking point, infrastructure wise, so they are trying to encourage more migrants to try elsewhere - hence the sudden push for State sponsored visas last year.

I think brisbane's breaking point is a bit exaggerated :biggrin: We have one of the lowest densities of the big cities so a lot of back filling to do. Traffic can be an issue but they have spent billions in the last few years to alleviate. Saying that I think Adelaide seems like a good choice, specially for more family orientated people. Only downside is the jobs outlook wasn't looking as good in Adelaide according to recent forecasts I saw....relative to qld, wa and Vic anyway.

I know I was just saying that we wanted the opposite of what they wanted, after having visited Adelaide lol

Guest J-inOz

Pacific Pines used to be classed as regional. This is on the Gold Coast. I don't know if it still is.

I prefer Queensland to Adelaide any day. The winter is too cold in Adelaide and in the summer all the grass dies off.

If some people think that there aren't many English in Adelaide, they will be shocked. A lot of the southern suburbs are full of them.

Adelaide wasn't for us, it was dull and boring, so we moved to Queensland.

Queensland is a big place, so I would suggest to have a tour around there before you think of moving interstate.

Guest red back

Not sure SA would float your boat, maybe its time to sail home..

SA is a world away from the West Coast and also has it fair share of things that are some what hard to understand, think before you jump out of one frying pan and into another one!

I do hear the UK has at last had a summer thou..

Hi everyone, I have been in Australia with my husband for 2 years in Queensland and I really hate it. For a while I loved the beaches, water and weather but now I feel a yearning for all things European. The casual racism, the brash stupidity of the overweight simple minded high viz yokels, the plastic retail park life style and the absence of any decent food or wine seems to represent the country to me now...

We are looking to move down to Adelaide in the hope things might be a little more sophisticated. Hopefully there might be some more intelligent people, a higher percentage of ethnic groups and alternative life stylers, good restaurants and bars and some pretty buildings.

Can any one give me an honest opinion? Is Adelaide worth it? Or should we just pack our bags and head home?

Come for a holiday, see what you think. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a city whose charms grow on you steadily, and going from what you have said in your post, if that's what you're looking for, I think Adelaide is a good choice.

Guest Seabird50

I have been in Adelaide for four and a half years.

I love it here, it is easy to get around, even in rush hour, and is pretty laid back. It is quite "little Britain" in many ways, not least how cold it gets in the winter at nights. I find it lacking in its multicultural awareness, but the food and wine is very affordable and excellent quality. I find the Oddeladians to have a simple outlook on life (generally) and miss the point of British humour almost completely - they have a saying here "it's a joke Joyce" and I find myself quoting it to them several times a week.

"Culture" can mean anything. We love classical music and Adelaide has served us well, but the popular and live metal scene is a bit lacking compared to Melbourne or Sydney. Just a thought, but have you lived in Brisbane? We are heading there for University for my daughter and a job likely early next year.

In part it is what you make it. Have you been back to the UK for a visit? We went back after 18 months and it felt alien - grey, crowded and we really missed the parrots in the trees, the sunsets and all the other things we have grown to love here. Adelaide is home, it will be hard for us to move interstate, but I reckon we will be just as happy in Queensland - love the tropical feel, the huge striped spiders in the trees, the next step in living with the elements, the hilly terrain and the sheer feeling of really being in a different country...

With Tiger airlines doing such cheap flights, why not just pop down to Adelaide for the weekend?

Good luck...

Seabird

Guest kimmie

I recently relocated from Adelaide.... sorry but I wouldnt recommend it:( As one other reader says, far too spread out. The city itself is built on a grid so very simple to navigate around and the tram service is pretty good. Other than that, rentals are at a premium, and not much bang for your buck if buying!! I found the south aussies a little on the abrasive side (nowhere near as friendly as Queenslanders in general).. however the beaches are beautiful, the coastline vast and (im a dog owner) most beaches tolerate dogs all day long outside daylight saving, infact thats where you meet the nicest people :jiggy:Of course it depends whats important to you, one of the main reasons we left was the lack of work in my husbands field (telco) The temps are far more extreme, we experienced temps of anywhere around 45 degrees and up to 14 days straight, but its a much drier heat, unlike I hear the delightful humidity thats experienced here I'm told. Winter a bit chilly, but most properties built now have ducted heating and cooling for this reason. Good luck with your decision making :huh:

Guest gooners

We have just moved from Townsville to Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills, about half an hour outside of Adelaide. Even though its a lot colder than QLD at the moment, it gets hot in the summer, without the unbearable humidity of Townsville. At least we'll be able to swim in the sea and sit outside comfortably. The countryside is very English,The oak trees have lost their leaves now, and it reminds me so much of England. We are in the middle of Wine country and their are a lot of restaurants too. I dont regret moving down here, even though we are feeling a bit lonely, weve both got jobs and our daughter has settled in at school. We think we made the right decision.

PS The locals and nothing like the yokels !!!

For a modest sized city Adelaide has a lot going for it, and worth taking a short trip here to see if it pushes the right buttons.

Brang is not a word! It is a mistaken attempt at the past participle of 'to bring' often made by children. Take it from an English teacher!!!!

Yet another English teacher who thinks that ending a sentence with four exclamation marks makes a stronger point.:rolleyes: (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

We lived in Adelaide and there are some wonderful things to do there. It is very conservative and in the CBD you are spoilt for choice for good places to eat and be entertained. that's true in surrounding environs too. It is very much a multi-cultural City and that's what gives the place it's vibe. We only came across one incident of racism in a souvenir store near Rundle Mall, and it was just the woman's attitude when she threw our change onto the desk and never said thankyou. Having said that we met soooooooooooooo many lovely people at bus-stops, on trams, in shops, at work. The only thing we found is that Adelaide becomes too small after a year or so. We went to melbourne and on to Sydney for NYE 2001. Melbourne really opened our eyes up - it's a very friendly 'buzzing' city (again with a good multi-cultural mix). Good infrastructure, loads of shops. We feel that if we had've moved there first we would have stayed there instead of retuning to UK. we've decided to go to Tas and see what that's like, though as we feel that property (depending on your budget) may be a little too costly for us. Hope you end up being more happier than you seemingly are now, so good luck!

Jasp

Archived