School costs

LaineyTV

Hi everyone,

We are looking at applying for our visa in about 6 months time and are just researching the hidden costs of emigrating.

We have 3 children but only 2 are of school age. We believe we have to pay these costs for the 2 years that we have our visa, then once we gain full access these costs are dropped. Is that right?

Could anyone tell me how much it costs per child per year to go to school?

We're not yet sure which state to apply for but could be SA, or QL.

Thanks.

Lainey

:v_SPIN:

Hi Lainy

Not sure where you are getting you info from.......but it doesn't sound correct to me. What do you mean "the two years we have our visa" what do you mean by "full access"?

If you are on a 457 temp visa, then in NSW you will pay around $4500 per child for schooling whilst you are on that temp visa. They are 4 year visas and can be renewed so you could pay for many many year. I think there is another state where you have to pay on a 457 as well. However, in most you don't. However, you said YOU are applying for a visa, so it doesn't sound like you are planning on being here on a 457.

On a PR visa you don't pay for schooling in a state school. You only pay for things like stationary and school trips / visits etc - but anyone has to do that.

Hope that helps

Love

Rudi

x

Yup, only have to pay big bucks if you are in NSW or ACT and on a temporary visa.

Otherwise all gov schools have a "voluntary contribution" which is technically voluntary but morally compulsory unless you are on the poverty line. That usually is around $100 a term but schools can set their own rates. Add to that the costs of uniform, stationery, excursions, visiting performers, swimming lessons, music lessons, camps, performances etc etc and there will be a slow but steady drip from your wallet

Guest brownfamily
Hi everyone,

We are looking at applying for our visa in about 6 months time and are just researching the hidden costs of emigrating.

We have 3 children but only 2 are of school age. We believe we have to pay these costs for the 2 years that we have our visa, then once we gain full access these costs are dropped. Is that right?

Could anyone tell me how much it costs per child per year to go to school?

We're not yet sure which state to apply for but could be SA, or QL.

Thanks.

Lainey

:v_SPIN:

Hi,

Depends which visa you will be on. We were on a temp visa in Queensland and had to pay $8,000 per year per child!!!

Heather

Hi,

Depends which visa you will be on. We were on a temp visa in Queensland and had to pay $8,000 per year per child!!!

Heather

HUH???? What sort of visa??? As far as I know, in Qld you would only pay for state schooling for your children if you were on a Student Visa - which strictly speaking is not a temp visa - it just gives you the right to live, study and work (minimal hours) in Australia for a certain amount of time or a WHV - which you you could only attend school for a limited time for.

Love

Rudi

x

Wow... thank you all so much, very very helpful!!

We will hopefully be going on a skilled person visa from the SOL - is that the 175?? We were told that the 175 visa would be our best option, which is held for 2 years, then after that permenant residency can be obtained.

So if we budget $10,000 per child, per year that should hopefully cover all/most costs, such as uniforms, trips etc. That is way less than we thought.

Thanks again!

xx

Guest brownfamily
HUH???? What sort of visa??? As far as I know, in Qld you would only pay for state schooling for your children if you were on a Student Visa - which strictly speaking is not a temp visa - it just gives you the right to live, study and work (minimal hours) in Australia for a certain amount of time or a WHV - which you you could only attend school for a limited time for.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi,

Yes, you are right it was a student visa!!

Heather

Wow... thank you all so much, very very helpful!!

We will hopefully be going on a skilled person visa from the SOL - is that the 175?? We were told that the 175 visa would be our best option, which is held for 2 years, then after that permenant residency can be obtained.

So if we budget $10,000 per child, per year that should hopefully cover all/most costs, such as uniforms, trips etc. That is way less than we thought.

Thanks again!

xx

Lainey

I am not sure who is advising you but it's all a load of croc!!!!! The 175 is a permanent visa - therefore schooling would be "free" for your children. $10000 would get your children into a nice private school though!!!!

I would be having a look at the migration area of the forum to learn some more about the visa you plan on applying for......cos it isn't going to be a walk in the park getting it after all the recent changes!

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

The 175 visa is a permanent residency visa and therefore you are entitled to stay in Aus indefinatley

$10,000 per child is a lot of money unless you're thinking of private education. My sons primary school fees, including all excursions/swimming and stationary was about $300. Uniforms were extra. My daughter is at high school and her fees were about $650 We're in WA, but I would guess that most state schools would be similar

We pay under $1000 a term at a private school and this includes everything even excursions, theatre visits etc and there is no uniform after seeing something on a news magazine programme last night I'm beginning to think we might be finacially better off and our DS gets the benefit of being in a class of 12. Just something to think about.

Jules

Archived