Woke up to find a For Sale sign up on our rental

Maisie

Can anyone offer us any advice, basically we rented a 2 bed property and about 6 weeks later we were told by estate agents that she was putting it up for sale and that we would have home opens, for sale sign up, etc. We were gutted and all we get now is estate agency calling us at 4p.m looking to bring someone around at 5 - we have turned them down when they done things like this and told them we need more notice b ut they are getting really nasty about it, basically the house has no interest for anyone actually buying but we have had viewings really about 2 a week and Im worse than Monica from Friends for cleaning and have to clean the floors after they leave as the tiles here leave big black shoe marks on the floors so we never wear shoes in the house.

Also its a pain in the neck moving our private jewellery etc papers etc about so that other poeple can walk through our house and open our cupboards, fridge etc. yep she is selling the furniture too so they are taking a good look at everything (some of the furniture is ours so someone up poking at it is really ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)!!!!

Does anyone have any advice for us on this, can estate agents put up a for sale sign, it doesnt help we are next door to a showhouse so we are going to have people thinking our house is empty as well and look through our windows too. :arghh:

Hi I am in QLD and my friend has been having the same issues as you, we contacted the REIQ and they advised,,,,,,,,,

First off you can refuse anyone entry UNLESS you have recieved 24 hrs notice in writing. You can't prevent open homes or inspections but you can come to some agreement about how often they are held such as agreeing to every other saturday etc.

Let your agent be arsey, they know they are breaking the rules by phoning you an hour prior to an inspection,, however incase things DO turn sour,, always try and stay polite with your agent as it will look better on your part should the worst arise.

If the house does sell before your lease is up, you have the option to stay until your lease expires or move with the landlord contributing a minimum of half to your relocation expences.

It may be worth contacting the Real Estate Institute in WA to see if the same rules apply.

Cal x

Thanks for that. Yep estate agents are being horrible, they have brought through numerous people but no one is actually interested buying the property just looking. Anyway to top it off the property was filthy when we moved in and we have it sparkling but they turned around last week and said that the grout is discoloured which they said we caused. The grout was never even inspected on the original inspection report and we have the place glittering, really maddening them saying this and them having inspections and then now home opens yet any damage will be our responsibility. We have already had one large scrape on the bedroom wall which looks like a key being scraped along it. Thank you for answering our thread, unfortunately just found out that the landlord actually works in the estate agents!!!

Guest Working to fish

Thats nothing ,i woke up at 4am and by 5am found out England are sh-t:wink:

Hope you get it sorted :wubclub:

As tenants you have rights and there should be a tenants union in WA who can help. For a landlord to have people leave in Victoria sixty days written notice has to be provided to the tenant whether they have a lease or not. You have a lease and anyone who purchases the property will purchase it with you as tenants until your lease expires unless you decide to leave before which a lot of people do.

As to the grout petty, next property when you get the condition report prepared take the digital camera and take photos of the condition yourself before you move in. Same if you decide to purchase a property.

Pain though having to go through the whole thing.

Can anyone offer us any advice, basically we rented a 2 bed property and about 6 weeks later we were told by estate agents that she was putting it up for sale and that we would have home opens, for sale sign up, etc. We were gutted and all we get now is estate agency calling us at 4p.m looking to bring someone around at 5 - we have turned them down when they done things like this and told them we need more notice b ut they are getting really nasty about it, basically the house has no interest for anyone actually buying but we have had viewings really about 2 a week and Im worse than Monica from Friends for cleaning and have to clean the floors after they leave as the tiles here leave big black shoe marks on the floors so we never wear shoes in the house.

Also its a pain in the neck moving our private jewellery etc papers etc about so that other poeple can walk through our house and open our cupboards, fridge etc. yep she is selling the furniture too so they are taking a good look at everything (some of the furniture is ours so someone up poking at it is really ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)!!!!

Does anyone have any advice for us on this, can estate agents put up a for sale sign, it doesnt help we are next door to a showhouse so we are going to have people thinking our house is empty as well and look through our windows too. :arghh:

hey maisie ...totally sympathise with u ....went through exactly the same thing a few months ago myself !! .....cal is correct in sayin that they need to give you notice at least 24hrs before .....i had umpteen arguments with my agent over this and when i told her i knew my rights she backed of .....they wanted weekend open homes and i told her if the current owner reduced the rent i would agree otherwise p*ss of lol ....needless to say their whole attitude changed ...they did eventually get their sale .....but we had signed a years lease and they couldnt put us out ...as it happens the new owners asked us to stay on ...however we were planning to move on anyway ...so everything worked out ok ......just dont let them bully you ....at the end of the day they just want a sale and they will do anything to get it .....Real Estate Institute of WA - reiwa.com.au has all the details regarding your rights

good luck

mrs keily

I am not sure about new leases, but in Qld in the renewed lease, there is some clause about if the landlord puts it up for sale within a certain time of the lease having been renewed, the tenants can leave the property. I would check this with the tenants rights group in WA. As Cal says, they must, by law give you 24 hours notice in writing if they wish to bring someone around the property. They can ASK you, but if you say know then they have to write to you. Unfortunately then you do have to comply.

I would also ask, in writing, that they will guarantee the security of your possessions. I had a friend in this situation and on one of the open homes a DS was nicked. The insurance would not cover it because it was considered that they had "invited" people into their home.

Not a good situation for you to be in at all! I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Love

Rudi

x

Archived