Moving back into your uk home

getus2oz

Hi all,

After only 6 months we are returning back to the uk, our home was rented out.

Just wondering what peoples experiences were if they moved back into their previous uk home. Did you feel the need to re-vamp it? Did it make you feel happy, sad or disappointed to be back living in it?

Really not sure how i'm going to feel when i walk through the door again,

x jo

Hi all,

After only 6 months we are returning back to the uk, our home was rented out.

Just wondering what peoples experiences were if they moved back into their previous uk home. Did you feel the need to re-vamp it? Did it make you feel happy, sad or disappointed to be back living in it?

Really not sure how i'm going to feel when i walk through the door again,

x jo

Hi Jo this doesn't apply to us as we sold our beautiful home to fund this trip and will have to start again when we get back- we will be moving back to our village though and knowing our house is being lived in by someone else will be hard. Better than living here though we are returning in Aug after being here since Jan.

If someone has been living in your house it may feel strange but at least you will be home. Good luck to you - it is rather daunting though isn't it x

Hi Jo this doesn't apply to us as we sold our beautiful home to fund this trip and will have to start again when we get back- we will be moving back to our village though and knowing our house is being lived in by someone else will be hard. Better than living here though we are returning in Aug after being here since Jan.

If someone has been living in your house it may feel strange but at least you will be home. Good luck to you - it is rather daunting though isn't it x

Yes and the emotions just keep coming - I should be feeling really happy today - got my daughter's place at school confirmed - got a rental property that is really lovely ( and pricey) have just spent a lovely month here in oz with my Mum which really helped to re-confirm our decision and now I just feel numb. I am just putting it down to the roller coaster we go through but scared I have become a bit of a dullard here and wont fit in back there. Where's the excitement I felt about going back to the land of the living?

Yes and the emotions just keep coming - I should be feeling really happy today - got my daughter's place at school confirmed - got a rental property that is really lovely ( and pricey) have just spent a lovely month here in oz with my Mum which really helped to re-confirm our decision and now I just feel numb. I am just putting it down to the roller coaster we go through but scared I have become a bit of a dullard here and wont fit in back there. Where's the excitement I felt about going back to the land of the living?

as the ad says where thr bloody hell are ya dont know if you are inb ozr uk

Guest Aldo

I (personally) would feel od going back to the same house, like the whole aussie adventure never happened, "was it all a bad dream" kind of feeling.

Hi getus2oz

We arrived back in UK at end of April and moved back into our house which we rented out.

For us it does feel a bit weird, like we have never been away, but weird in a good way as we are very fond of our house and luckily for us the tenants had looked after it. We sold all of our furniture before we went to Australia and just shipped a few boxes (and then shipped them back again) so the house was very empty until our generous friends all started lending us items such as a bed, fridge, garden furniture etc.

The thing we found most comical is you are used to certain things in certain places but they are no longer there e.g. I spent the first week attempting to look in the hall mirror before discovering it was not there, (used to be there before we moved). Also we used to have a rubbish bin attached to the inside door of a kitchen cupboard and the OH spent the first few days constantly throwing rubbish into the cupboard.

After the hype of the first week of being back in the UK we have settled back into the house and we are slowly furnishing it with new stuff.

One piece of advice I can offer is if your house will be empty when you arrive back then have a party. We arrived home on the Friday afternoon and had already arranged a big party with all our friends and family for the Saturday night. This gave us an opportunity to catch up with everyone at the same time. We got some people to bring some chairs etc and other friends came along with drink, glasses and food . Oh and a friend arrived with a music system and we danced till the early hours with our closet friends, had a great night.

Good luck with the move hope all goes well. If you are worried and need to talk then just let me know.

B

I just want to go back home - oz - family obviously have their own lives . I miss Oz so bad and wish I didn't sell my house - now after paying mortgage furniture and dogs over what the hell have I done -very little left - no job - and beginning to hate pommy land!!

Guest Skippyplus6

My sentiments exactly! I can't wait to go back to Oz. I hardly ever see the family (except for my sister and her family), and the rest of the family only live up to 10 miles away. People move on, even family as I have discovered. My family are really upset with me because I'm going back, because i'll be taking their grandchildren and great niece and nephew away, but we only see them once a month or once in two months, if that. England is not the place I want to bring my kids up in. I'm broke too and will have to get the dog back to Oz too. Where abouts will you be returning to and when?

I would like to give Brisbane a try. Didn't really like living where I was living in Oz previously and for many years - Campbelltown area just outside Sydney. And was fed up with commuting into Sydney. I like Sydney itself and am used to it but it is very expensive unless you want to do the commuting thing and I don't!

Been to Brisbane a couple of times and really liked it - not as full on as Sydney. I have 3 dogs and a cat - plus all my furniture which I don't really want to get rid of. My money I made from sale of -house has dwindled away considerably owing to not being able to get a job - only worked 7 days all up since arriving in February this year. And the pay is ridiculously low - don't want to move to another part of UK - my mother is here - my brother and girlfriend just outside Liverpool - but pay seems really low and I would never be able to buy a house again. Also not looking forward to Winter - even though I said previously before arriving that I would enjoy Winter over here - I just saw how miserable everybody was until Spring came. Also heating bills would be really high and not sure I would be able to afford to heat house comfortably. Am trying to get Unemployment Benefit and Housing Benefit but they are making me jump through hoops - so not sure will be able to get anything. So all in all a very wasted expensive exercise and I wish wish I could turn back the clock. On the upside - at least I got out of a bad relationship and have got UK out of my system - just means I'm going to have to start all over again. Lease runs out in October (I paid 6 months up front) if worst comes to worst might try and get out lease and see if they can relet then I should get a refund so more funds in kitty for return. I plan to put pets in kennels and furniture in storage over here - go to OZ - find rental and job and once got enough money together send for furniture and pets. Just wish I didn't have 3 dogs and a cat - maybe I could find a home for two dogs and cat and just bring one!! But that would be hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We arrived back in the Uk a couple of months ago and we are really pleased to be home although my youngest is now saying he misses Australia!

We rented out our house and we had said that the tenant could decorate if she wanted to (thinking that we would not be coming back).

We have had to spend the last few weeks decorating as the decor has not been at all to our taste but in a way it is good as it has made us revamp.

It was lovely to walk back into our old house but until all our furniture turns up from Oz I dont feel like it is home yet. Also our cat is still inOz.

I think it has made it much easier to settle back into life in the Uk than if we had had to find somewhere new to live as well.

So far so good and we are pleased we cut our losses after 6 months and came home.

good luck with your move

xx

Archived