help from anyone who took their cat!! sleepless nights

Guest darmanin

We brought our cat who is now 19 years old ... we did wonder if she'd "make it" ... but she's lasted over 3 years with us here in Aus. Because of her age we sought advice from a vet who said she was healthy and no reason (other than expense) not to bring her. We still have the 'crate' she was shipped in ... it was roomy and fitted her own cushion, she certainly wasn't boxed into a tiny space. She was fit and healthy when she came out of quarantine in WA and the way the staff spoke about her, we sensed she'd been looked after affectionatly. We didn't hesitate to bring her and are so glad we did

Guest StellaBridger

....One of the main things that has put me off my husbands wish to emigrate is worrying about the cats. The youngest two I had no worries about it was the older lady who is 16. It was good to read that older cats can cope too. Thanks everyone.

Guest carts1976

Hi all

My husband and I are moving to the Newcastle area of NSW in October and I have a one year old british blue, she has always been a house cat in the UK and is very well behaved.

My husband is worried that we wont find a rental house in the 1 month she is in quarantine. Are there many furnished or unfurnished houses happy to have a little house cat? other wise he wants to leave her with a friend for a few months and I really do not want to leave her behind. Please Help!! as torn between taking her and hoping we find some where to live or end up spending more money on putting her in a cattery for another few months in Australia while we are getting settled.

If anyone has a 3-4 bed house to rent in either Merewether, Cooks Hill, Warners Bay, Elebana, Speers Point area from 1st week in November around £450-800 week please let me know, must be fairly modern and suit a professional couple with no children and a little cat.

Thank you

Guest StellaBridger

It would be good to know how you get on as thats one of the places that my husband has been offered a job. Good luck:biggrin:

Hi all

My husband and I are moving to the Newcastle area of NSW in October and I have a one year old british blue, she has always been a house cat in the UK and is very well behaved.

My husband is worried that we wont find a rental house in the 1 month she is in quarantine. Are there many furnished or unfurnished houses happy to have a little house cat? other wise he wants to leave her with a friend for a few months and I really do not want to leave her behind. Please Help!! as torn between taking her and hoping we find some where to live or end up spending more money on putting her in a cattery for another few months in Australia while we are getting settled.

If anyone has a 3-4 bed house to rent in either Merewether, Cooks Hill, Warners Bay, Elebana, Speers Point area from 1st week in November around £450-800 week please let me know, must be fairly modern and suit a professional couple with no children and a little cat.

Thank you

Guest jeskimo
We brought our cat who is now 19 years old ... we did wonder if she'd "make it" ... but she's lasted over 3 years with us here in Aus. Because of her age we sought advice from a vet who said she was healthy and no reason (other than expense) not to bring her. We still have the 'crate' she was shipped in ... it was roomy and fitted her own cushion, she certainly wasn't boxed into a tiny space. She was fit and healthy when she came out of quarantine in WA and the way the staff spoke about her, we sensed she'd been looked after affectionatly. We didn't hesitate to bring her and are so glad we did

Thanks for all the info, I'm planning on a move to Sydney in the next couple of years and am still worried about my cats (2+14), would hate for the stress of it to finish my older one off...

I was also reading the closed thread 'no freedom for pets in Oz' - does anyone know where i can find out the 'curfew' rules / regulations?

Jess

My cats recently made the journey over, I used Golden Arrow. I have a 5 year old british shorthair and a two year old persian.

I was very worried about the persian because he hates even being in the car for five minutes. I tracked their flights all the way over and called the quarantine station a couple of hours after they landed. I was surprised to be told they wouldn't be there until the afternoon. We just wanted to know they had survived the flight though so my husband called the airline in the end and somebody went to the "warm room" and reported back that they were fine. :biggrin:

Not very happy that it then took 8 hours from landing to get to quarantine station and they were in their crates the whole time of course. :sad:

We spoke to the girl looking after them in quarantine in the afternoon, she was very reassuring, said they were glad to get out of their crates but they were calm, chilled out, having some food and looking around their new quarters. We are going to see them on Tuesday and I cannot wait.

I do think that it is us owners that find the whole thing more stressful than the pets. They are tougher than we think.

We also used Golden Arrow, and I have to say they were absolutely brilliant. We flew our two girls - a 4 year old british shorthair and a 4 year old tortoiseshell over to Sydney last month, and collected them from the Sunshine Coast airport on Thursday. And they are absolutely fine, in fact, if anything, even healthier and happier - maybe that's the Aussie air for you!

My partner was so upset when they were collected from our home in London back in June, and the lady at Golden Arrow was wonderful. She told us we could phone her at anytime day or night if we wanted to check on the girls (they stayed at their cattery in Shropshire for 3 days before their flight). Nothing was too much trouble for them, and we never felt that they were in a rush to get off the phone from us or anything.

When the girls arrived in Sydney, we phoned the Quarantine Station and the office was fine, gave us the mobile number of our girls carer. She was also lovely, we phoned her every couple of days from London.

And once we arrived in Sydney, we went out and visited the girls at Eastern Creek.

A note on the station: Its not easy to get to the station, you really need to drive there and its about 30 minutes drive from the airport. And if you intend to go, you need to phone and arrange an appointment. If you are only going out once in a week, they will allow you two back-to-back half hour slots, which we did. You need to take photo ID etc - speak with the office if you wish to visit.

The accommodation is very spartan, the "cells" really do look like cells. There is nothing but a bed, litter tray and food and water bowls. No toys. No extra blankets. The cell is about the size of a public toilet cubicle.

However, you can send the station small toys and treats (including edible) for your cats.

They also only feed dry food to the cats, and I suspect its not the greatest quality. We happened to mention to our carer that our girls like wet food at night and it was only then that she told us that we could send food to the station for them. I didn't realise that we could. We therefore placed an order with Woolworths online (from London) to get wet food delivered to the station for them - and they did get it. The carer can help you with the process if you are unsure.

Moving on from the station, we arranged with a local company called Dogtainers to fly our girls up to the Sunshine Coast airport for us to collect them. And the whole process was very simple. Dogtainers were also brilliant, I'd highly recommend them.

They arrived via a Virgin Blue flight and we collected them from the check-in desk.

And now they are home with us, absolutely delighted, very happy for the experience and loving listening to all the birds!

• 1 month later...
Guest darmanin

hi everyone,

the time has come to send our precious persian over....am mostly worries about the flight as we live in malta and she has to first fly to london and then sydney. thsi is going to ake nearly 40 hours!!!!

is he going to make it so scared???

Guest juliemtaylor
hi everyone,

the time has come to send our precious persian over....am mostly worries about the flight as we live in malta and she has to first fly to london and then sydney. thsi is going to ake nearly 40 hours!!!!

Honestly you will be more upset and scared than they will! Ours have been living here for over 6 months and are at home! They were fine on the flight, transfers and in Quarantine, we couldn't visit but had progress reports from Quarantine when asked. Thank god someone took some toys and scratching post for them, as they had nothing.

Julie x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DorsetSteve

I have a 4 year old Tortie shell,have had her for almost a year,having got her from the local RSPCA center,and the thing i was wondering was that all the travelling in a box and then back in quarantine in Oz,maybe she will feel i have abandoned her,as she was in the center for ages before i got her.

And she's very much an outdoors cat too,so will need to find out about local rules and regs lol

hi Dorset Steve,

we also have a tortie, and brought her over a few months ago. Yes, yours might well feel a sense of loss again and I'm not sure what you can do apart from talk to her and hope in some strange way she understands or gets the vibes at least.

The people involved from transporters to quarantine all seems to be very animal loving and so they will take good care of her, and once you collect her she will probably love you even more!

Ours has become even more sooky than she was when we had her in London. i think absence makes the heart grow fonder!

all the best, sg

Guest Annette from the forest

Hi, I have brought my 2 dogs and 4 cats over this year and was a bundle of nerves about doing so. They were fine. The cats took just a couple of days to settle into quarantine but were soon loving it. Even my quiet , shy one settled quickly. Once they came out it was the usual uncertainty about a new home but they were fine within a week and going out into the garden and sitting in the sun. Bring your cat , you'll hate yourself if you don't.

We returned to the UK for a few years and we brought our two dogs and cat with us. They were in quarantine for six months which is a really long time but they were great when they eventually came out. We used to visit the facility very regularly to check all things were well with their treatment. We are returning to Melbourne at the end of November and we are taking our 8 year old border collie with us. I am definitely getting more stressed about her journey than ours!!! Your cat will be fine. Don't leave her behind.

hi everyone,

Just thought i'd share my cat shipping story here for some peace of mind for you darmanin! I've had cats my whole life and never have I had such a little sook as my current cat murphy. He is scared of everything, nervous and anxious around anybody except my partner and I. Freaked out by noise, people, basically everything! So you can imagine when it came to bringing him to Australia I was more than worried about how he would cope!

I really fretted about bringing him over but in the end there wasn't a choice - he is part of our family and there was no way I was leaving him behind. So when the time came for the flight i was hysterical and anxious - seeing his little terrified face at heathrow as we dropped him off was almost too much to bear!

He flew into Sydney and was picked up by quarantine and I called Eastern Creek as soon as I could. He was allocated the most lovely attendant imaginable who instantly put my mind at ease. She said he was scared but fine, and would spend extra time with him each day as he was so nervous. He wouldn't eat for the first few days so she even bought tinned food out of her own money for him before i could get food sent to him! (didn't realise you could send stuff until i spoke to her)

She was such a godsend, always had time for a chat and even used to sing to him to try and settle him in! (not sure if that would've done much though lol!) i rang every few days to see how he was and although he was still spooked she slowly managed to build up his confidence with lots of love and patience.

When the day finally came for us to pick him up it was one of the happiest monents of my life! (yes I know it's sad but I really love that cat! lol) Rachael our attendant bought him out and as soon as he saw us he was rolling in his crate and purring frantically! Rachael actually cried saying goodbye to him!!!! I can not speak more highly of the way she cared for my cat!

I'd thought he might be a bit sketchy for a while but as soon as we let him out at home he was completly fine, strutted around his new home loving every minute! Two months down the line now and he is really happy in his new aussie life! He's more affectionate than ever and perhaps a little braver for all he's been through!

Long story short - Your cat's going to be fine. If my incredibly timid little man can make it than so will yours! It was the best decision we made. Good luck and try not too fret too much (easier said than done I know!)

Let us know how you get on!

• 1 month later...

hiya, bring the cat out! My experience with quarantine in Sydney was wonderful. You can visit if you wish, but with weekly updates - quarantine called me, as I had two cats together, and they'd weigh them and tell me how they were.

My decision not to see them till I picked them up was due to the fact that I felt they'd fret if I went to visit and then said, 'see ya' and left them there. So when they heard my voice as the crate came through the glass door on a trolley, I heard their miaows and they came home - all happy.

I just wrote another post that our male cat (9yo) died the other day from tick paralysis. This is devastating, but he was family and I need to remember that I made that decision to bring him here, and he was happy - we all were together, it was just his time unfortunately.

When you get your siamese back in your arms again in Sydney, go to a vet and get advice on how best to keep your pet safe, depending where you live. I'm on the North Shore, which has a lot of bush, bandicoots, possums - carriers of ticks, which as I've learned the hard way, are harmful (and fatal) to cats. You just need to be vigiliant - esp now in tick season, to check your cat. And apply the Frontline spray, topspot etc. I got lax - and he - our neurotic housecat who hid, did just that, and i thought it was normal, I just found him too late for the serum to take effect and for him to hold out.

Even with this sad news, they are family and should be with you. Nobody loves your cat as much as you, right?

Good luck with the move. x

So sorry Busimoll to hear about the death of your cat. I shall be checking Rosie like mad now. Mind you, I had a cat in Australia for many years and had no problems. It's as you say, the environment you are in is the crucial thing. The suburbs of Adelaide didn't have a lot of wild critters roaming around!!

Guest Annette from the forest

Hello, use Pet Air, I brought 4 cats over with them earlier this year and they were brilliant. Can't remember the exact cost per cat but they will give you quotes with no obligation.

Guest juliemtaylor

we used Petair UK and think it cost about GBP 3000 and then quarantine costs on top for both! They were 13 years old each and were fine and still doing well!

Julie x

Guest juliemtaylor
hiya, bring the cat out! My experience with quarantine in Sydney was wonderful. You can visit if you wish, but with weekly updates - quarantine called me, as I had two cats together, and they'd weigh them and tell me how they were.

My decision not to see them till I picked them up was due to the fact that I felt they'd fret if I went to visit and then said, 'see ya' and left them there. So when they heard my voice as the crate came through the glass door on a trolley, I heard their miaows and they came home - all happy.

I just wrote another post that our male cat (9yo) died the other day from tick paralysis. This is devastating, but he was family and I need to remember that I made that decision to bring him here, and he was happy - we all were together, it was just his time unfortunately.

When you get your siamese back in your arms again in Sydney, go to a vet and get advice on how best to keep your pet safe, depending where you live. I'm on the North Shore, which has a lot of bush, bandicoots, possums - carriers of ticks, which as I've learned the hard way, are harmful (and fatal) to cats. You just need to be vigiliant - esp now in tick season, to check your cat. And apply the Frontline spray, topspot etc. I got lax - and he - our neurotic housecat who hid, did just that, and i thought it was normal, I just found him too late for the serum to take effect and for him to hold out.

Even with this sad news, they are family and should be with you. Nobody loves your cat as much as you, right?

Good luck with the move. x

So sorry to hear of the death of your lovely puss cat, we wondered whether to take ours as they are 13 years old and one has had some health probs. They are fine and loving Oz albeit living maily inside now. Thank you for posting about the dangers of the great outside and I hope when the time is right you will fina a new friend in your home.

Julie x

Archived