esperance or geraldton ?

Guest boslowen

Guest Kornish

G'day Moll, if you can't quote Pickfords :eek: I can :biglaugh: you can quote things like that without any worries, the BBC don't own this forum. It's fine to give info about companies. Regards Kornish

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MongooseB

Hi everyone!

It's good to know that we're not the only ones going nuts waiting for a reply!!! My hubby had an interview for a fitter position last week, also told Geraldton, also told end Aug/first week in Sept. For anyone who didn't know, they only finished interviewing on the 10th of Aug. Aslo, they have just completed a massive recruitment drive in South Africa for drives, so it's not just the poms waiting in angst.

We too are desperately wanting to go, but at the end of the day, what will be will be. Having lived in a warm country before, and having pom family living in OZ, we strongly advise that folk don't wast money taking too many belongings over with them. We spent a fortune bringing over our goods from SA only to find them still packed in boxes 2 years later! You'll be surprised what you can do without and the money in the bank is way better!

On the note of cars, don't hold onto your UK car, let it go. Besides all the extra costs you will incur, don't be fooled into believing that insurance, services and spares on imports are the same as locals - they're not! It's only a car, Australia has millions of them - it's not like they're a 3rd world country!

Good luck to everyone, let's hope there's room for all!

Does anyone know of any house and land packages in geraldton? me and OH are really interested in doing this but we've looked everywhere and only came up with 2 houses!!!!! surely there are some somewhere???

Guest Kornish

Moll when I went out there I saw hundreds if not a thousand plots and houses! They don't offer them with a builder, you buy the plot then employ a builder who builds what you want at a set price. If you email any of the estate agents they will provide you with contact details of builders. Don't worry there are more than you can shake a stick at! Try googling estate agents geraldton wa That should get your mouth watering!

Guest Cheesetoasties

Hi

The company that builds out in Gero is WA country builders: www.wacountrybuilders.com.au

they offer loads of different designs. There are 2 large development currently in Utakarra but I spoke to the developer and they can build around numerous parts of Gero..there is land for sale closer to the beaches at 150k plus the property cost but if you visit www.realestate.com.au you can search all land available. The guys at WA builders will help find and develop the land as it is one thing to like a piece of land but if you buy it then look for a builder you could run into problems with extra work the land needs to prep for a house build.

cheesey

Guest Kornish

G'day all, found this posted today!

"Esperance is to a solely iron ore.After going Esperance this week i was informed by ARG staff that Nickel is now being move by road to the port of Esperance,that Fuel traffic will stop by june 2011 leaving iron ore the only traffic to be seen on the Esperance line".

You can view it at; Esperance to go solely ore freight - Railpage Australia™ Forums (Western Australia)

You might have to be a member, its from a GSRailway controller. So someone who will have more of an insight than most! Now I can understand why Esperance is no longer available! Trucks over trains!!!

Guest Guardian Angel

Geraldton Builders | Builders Geraldton | Geraldton Building Companies | Geraldton Building Services

If you have a look at this website it will give you all the builders around Geraldton.

I see some of you are really keen on the idea of new homes/new build which is fantastic but give yourselves time to settle in and have a good look round, which means Im suggesting a rental for 6 months so that you've gained your feet and seen what types of homes are available, there are many designs from extremely modern, some you would not have even thought about as they wouldnt be allowed in the UK, and some new but old federation builds.

In the Sunday papers (once you've arrived, there is a magazine that contains the names of builders and showing layouts etc) and you can phone and as if they build in that area too.

There are transportable homes, these are built in Perth and taken up on 2 or 3 trucks to your home site. These are placed on concrete pads but are pre built with all the electrics and plumbing (internals).

A little insight, if its a land package on an estate, then the sewage, electricity, telephones and water are only in the road, you have to pay to get them connected to your land, so there is an extra cost to think about, so remember to ask the builder or the land sale people.

If the land is off and estate and just there, so to speak, you have a cost of a septic tank at $15k, electricity from the nearest pole, this is about a $1k per meter, water has to be brought in from the nearest pipes and so does telehoned. On this sort of site, you can get a Government rebate but only over certain amounts i.e. if the elec is $13k or more you get a percentage back, under that amount you dont get it. i.e. you might aswell move the house back further and pay more to get the $6k back. The concrete pad that the house sits on is put there by someone else and not the builder and that costs aswell.

This is why I feel its important to tell you these things, and also to have a very good look round at who's building, when they can build as it takes sometimes 18months from booking them to them completing, the house build only takes 3/4 months but they are busy.

Whilst you're in your throws everything seems pretty cheap, but do look carefully at what you could be liable for as you do not have these costs in the UK and total all the hidden extra costs on top of the actuall build it can be a bit of a shocker..

Guest MongooseB

Hi all,

We too are waiting anxiously to see if we go or stay. On the positive side, I'd like to say that we have moved internationally 3 times, and on each occasion have opted for "groupage" (shared) container. It was well worth every penny spent and that is the only way we would go this time. You pay for exactly the amount of space you need instead of filling a container up with stuff you don't need just because you've paid for an entire 20ft container! Also remember, if you opt for groupage, shop around and bear in mind that it WILL take longer, but that's exactly why it's a cheaper option. We went to "mick-fords" and would go the same route again, they packed for us and took care of every detail - no worries at all on our part. They also have storage options if you aren't quite settled when your stuff arrives, and it's not expensive. Having said that, don't think that you can't get "modern" things in Oz, you get EXACTLY the same stuff there as you do here, so my advice is leave your belongings behind, take cash in hand and start a new life. Besides everything else, it's fun! Do a comparison online, check out the cost of replacing versus the cost of transporting it across foreign waters - you'll see for yourselves whether it's worth the hassle or not and what is worth taking or leaving.

Hi all,

We too are waiting anxiously to see if we go or stay. On the positive side, I'd like to say that we have moved internationally 3 times, and on each occasion have opted for "groupage" (shared) container. It was well worth every penny spent and that is the only way we would go this time. You pay for exactly the amount of space you need instead of filling a container up with stuff you don't need just because you've paid for an entire 20ft container! Also remember, if you opt for groupage, shop around and bear in mind that it WILL take longer, but that's exactly why it's a cheaper option. We went to "mick-fords" and would go the same route again, they packed for us and took care of every detail - no worries at all on our part. They also have storage options if you aren't quite settled when your stuff arrives, and it's not expensive. Having said that, don't think that you can't get "modern" things in Oz, you get EXACTLY the same stuff there as you do here, so my advice is leave your belongings behind, take cash in hand and start a new life. Besides everything else, it's fun! Do a comparison online, check out the cost of replacing versus the cost of transporting it across foreign waters - you'll see for yourselves whether it's worth the hassle or not and what is worth taking or leaving.

We have done the same amount of moves as you and I would do the opposite. I would take every last thing. We have moved in with family and sent our belongs about a month before us. Once you have a holiday rental on arrival you can usually coincide your container arrival with the new rental/purchase. I am so grateful we brought everything with us, helped us settle no end. Unless your stuff is crap I would bring the lot, Australia is very expensive for decent quality things.

Guest MongooseB
We have done the same amount of moves as you and I would do the opposite. I would take every last thing. We have moved in with family and sent our belongs about a month before us. Once you have a holiday rental on arrival you can usually coincide your container arrival with the new rental/purchase. I am so grateful we brought everything with us, helped us settle no end. Unless your stuff is crap I would bring the lot, Australia is very expensive for decent quality things.

I suppose it's an individual thing really. If creature comforts help you settle, then for sure, take the lot, it not why bother. I have heard that some things in Oz are expensive, but I think it's all relative. There is a website where you can check out the cost of the basics to set up home - very helpful especially if you aren't fortunate enough to have family to move in with so as to send your goods ahead. Basically, it's worth doing lots of homework before signing up for a container. Furniture from one country is not always suited to another - especially going from the UK to a hot country like Oz. It's great that we can all share from our experiences thought, it certainly helps those who really aren't sure what to do. :v_SPIN:

I suppose it's an individual thing really. If creature comforts help you settle, then for sure, take the lot, it not why bother. I have heard that some things in Oz are expensive, but I think it's all relative. There is a website where you can check out the cost of the basics to set up home - very helpful especially if you aren't fortunate enough to have family to move in with so as to send your goods ahead. Basically, it's worth doing lots of homework before signing up for a container. Furniture from one country is not always suited to another - especially going from the UK to a hot country like Oz. It's great that we can all share from our experiences thought, it certainly helps those who really aren't sure what to do. :v_SPIN:

A sofa in the UK is the same as a sofa in Australia. The climate has nothing to do with it. We moved in with my Dad in the UK for 1 month. Took a holiday rental for 3 weeks, found a rental and then had our container delivered. Easy. Believe me, Australia is expensive. I love it here and have no desire to leave but it is VERY expensive compared to the UK. Best bring the lot IMO.

Guest MongooseB

Like I say, it's really a personal choice - there's no right or wrong way. It all boils down to each person's budget. I can only give tips from my own personal experience and would hate anyone to base their decisions on what I did/didn't do. What works for one may not necessarily work for another.

Good to hear you are happy in Oz though, that's all that counts.

Guest Kornish

G'day all! I have to add to this furniture debate, as when in Geraldton recently, I was very surprised at how expensive furniture items were! I can't remember specifics but recall that an equivalent solid wood sideboard that I bought from a shop called "The Pier" here in England, cost 3 times the amount in Geraldton! Sofas etc. Were about double what the UK charges. So it is well worth checking out shipping your toot before dismissing the idea. I no doubt will if successful, be posting on here for a sharing buddy!

Guest Guardian Angel

Hi Guys

Agrees in some with Mongoose, furniture of some types of wood definately dont agree with the climate here. We had a spate of tables, chairs, sideboardy things from our neighbouring countries (rainforest type countries) and as soon as it got here it dried up and split, our climate in WA especially Geraldton is not humid at all, it is hot and dry 8 months of the year (guys we have air conditioners worry lol) so yes if you bring like outdoor furniture dont bother you can buy a big table glass, with comfortable cushioned chairs, 6 of them for $299 (GBP 150).

I would look at what you're bringing over as lots of you want new builds, everyone I know with new builds chucks out their furniture here, i.e. sideboards, heavy table, chest of draws, welsh dressers etc to go for that new modern build contemporary look...check out this website www.freedom.com.au its Freedom Furniture, also IKEA is in Perth and they transport to country area, of which Geraldton is one, look at the website and email them asking weights of things you like and how much shipping charges to Gerladton and they will email back.

Modern contemporary furniture does not suit everyone I know and some say its rubbish but you can change it every 3 years as was the purpose of IKEA opening in the UK because we couldnt afford to move every 3 years when things sky rocketed - please dont bring grandma's welsh dresser just because you feel you have too lol, it wont suit a house here new or old, there is a distinct lack of Victoriana here lol. Look at www.dankz.com.au aswell.

We do have lots of pine furniture here but most of the people i know and in new show houses they dont use it or have it, not anymore.

Also, check out www.comfortstyle.com.au but I find this a bit old fashioned, and also Harvey Norman, they are electrical and furniture, www.harveynorman.com.au and also www.fithstreetfurnituremart.com.au they're in Geraldton as is www.geraldtonfurniture.com.au

It is personal choice, on whether you bring the things youre comfortable with, whether you leave it there but we have heaps here and all varying prices, like there, top of the range is a 'phew' or the cheaper alternative that is simply fine, but to this day I still havent got that tumble dryer that has its own condenser that cost next to nothing there and cost $1300 here!!!! I do with the normal hosey thing in the laundry, after all its only the laundry room (utility) !

Guest MongooseB
Hi Guys

Agrees in some with Mongoose, furniture of some types of wood definately dont agree with the climate here. We had a spate of tables, chairs, sideboardy things from our neighbouring countries (rainforest type countries) and as soon as it got here it dried up and split, our climate in WA especially Geraldton is not humid at all, it is hot and dry 8 months of the year (guys we have air conditioners worry lol) so yes if you bring like outdoor furniture dont bother you can buy a big table glass, with comfortable cushioned chairs, 6 of them for $299 (GBP 150).

I would look at what you're bringing over as lots of you want new builds, everyone I know with new builds chucks out their furniture here, i.e. sideboards, heavy table, chest of draws, welsh dressers etc to go for that new modern build contemporary look...check out this website www.freedom.com.au its Freedom Furniture, also IKEA is in Perth and they transport to country area, of which Geraldton is one, look at the website and email them asking weights of things you like and how much shipping charges to Gerladton and they will email back.

Modern contemporary furniture does not suit everyone I know and some say its rubbish but you can change it every 3 years as was the purpose of IKEA opening in the UK because we couldnt afford to move every 3 years when things sky rocketed - please dont bring grandma's welsh dresser just because you feel you have too lol, it wont suit a house here new or old, there is a distinct lack of Victoriana here lol. Look at www.dankz.com.au aswell.

We do have lots of pine furniture here but most of the people i know and in new show houses they dont use it or have it, not anymore.

Also, check out www.comfortstyle.com.au but I find this a bit old fashioned, and also Harvey Norman, they are electrical and furniture, www.harveynorman.com.au and also www.fithstreetfurnituremart.com.au they're in Geraldton as is www.geraldtonfurniture.com.au

It is personal choice, on whether you bring the things youre comfortable with, whether you leave it there but we have heaps here and all varying prices, like there, top of the range is a 'phew' or the cheaper alternative that is simply fine, but to this day I still havent got that tumble dryer that has its own condenser that cost next to nothing there and cost $1300 here!!!! I do with the normal hosey thing in the laundry, after all its only the laundry room (utility) !

Guardian Angel, I could not have put it better myself, thank you. We will definately take heed of what you've said and rather go over with cash in the bank and look forward to putting a fresh new footprint in our home in Oz.

Thanks for the advice and web links. :v_SPIN:

Guest Guardian Angel

Hi Guys, was just thinking about things and whilst youre writing lists of things to do before I go (I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you) I thought of these

Medicare, you get recipricol they issue you with a different card from resident (new one when you are) which entitles you to everything like the UK, except for elective surgery i.e. can I have it tomorrow instead of 18months. You pay to go to the Dr here, about $60 ish and you walk over to the Medicare office and show your receipt and they give you $35 back. Ask at the Dr if they 'bulk bill' saves the trip, or you can give your bank details now to the Dr so its dont automatically.

Private Medical, you can get this is you want but really its an expense you dont need or course unless you want elective and private rooms and the like.

Ancillary Cover, opitical, ambulance cover plus 2 other like Physio and dental, costs you about $5 a week (single). Good idea lots of Aussies just carry this, because Medicare covers the cost of the optical test ($18) but not the glasses, and they are a tad old fashioned for the cheaper ones or you can go Gucci, Guess all those names at $800 and more!!! and you have to pay, but with Ancillary you get back a third - but good idea lol, the same with dentist, its expensive if you need treatment so you get some of that back too with this cover - hence get it done there!!...If you have kids, for gods sake take them there lol..especially if they need braces, they are not free or subsidised you could pay $5 - 9k but you do get 1/3 of that back with the ancillary cover, Do check when the cover kicks in though prior to taking it, take it but wear the costs until you can claim. Ambulance cover is not free, they will charge you every call, even in an accident so this is another good ancillary deal. You can just get cover as stand alone for $32 for the year but also they dont actually cover all areas, so its a bit of a big issue here at the moment!!

Coats!!!! dont be swayed into leaving that gorgeously warm jacket you have there at home - its windy in Geraldton sometimes in the winter and they dont have really warm ones like you have there, honestly so bring it..one day I will tell you a story about that when I meet you, something to do with me being a brit and hardy - ha the least hardy person you'd ever meet lol

Your guys will be issued the warmest loveliest full on ARG issue why cant i have some of those - warm clothes lol..but walking a train at 2am or standing loading for 2 or 3 hours your legs get cold...bring long johns lol..only decent long johns here come from NZ! hard to find.