esperance or geraldton ?

Guest boslowen

Guest boslowen

I have an opportunity to move to either Geraldton or Esperance with my family ( 2 daughters aged 12 and 14) and was wondering if anyone could give me any views or experience of life in these locations.

I am hoping to work for ARG as a train driver and if anyother drivers for ARG can give me some information about this in these locations and the work they do it would be really helpful .

Thanks.:wacko:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ramo

Hey Boslowen,

I live in Carnarvon, 550 K's north of Geraldton and have been since January 2007. We love it here, but Its time to move on. We have decided we still like the laid back country life style ( only 6/7000 people), but we need or (my partner) needs more shops and hustle and bustle. As for whether Geraldton is better that Esperance I'm not sure as I've not managed to get there. I do know one thing........its certainly much colder than Geraldton.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cheesetoasties

Hi Boslowen,

Just touching base, I have also applied for one of these positions (currently Freightliner) and am in a toss up between the two, Geraldton seems to be a popular location as it is the larger aera of the 2 and seems to be developing very fast and with the building of Oakajee port that should hopefully happen (or happening) should bring plenty of freight train work.

I`ve looked at Esperance, this is a small town whith a port and looking at some reviews seems to be a beautiful part of WA and far cooler than Geraldton but, quiet isolated with not much of a town. Personally I would love Esperance for the beauty of the aera but the family [missus and 2 kids under 4] need to be considered and I think Geraldton offers more of a package as a whole.

Good luck with physcometric`s and interview, I have mine in July :smile:

Tony

Guest boslowen

hi thanks for your thoughts , were of much the same opinion im in Carlisle at the moment with db schenker , but before that i was at st.blazey in cornwall were the wife and children had lived all thier lives till we moved up here, we love the beaches and esperance looks wonderful , but i know what you mean about geraldton too.

i have had an e mail from a lady who has lived in esperance for 25 yrs and she says there is everything there you need and they love it. but of course the isolation is not for everyone.....were still undecided.

had my test yesterday and interview is on 18th june.

cheers Gary

gary.little@virgin.net

Just some points to keep in mind:

1. The beach at Esperance is lovely, but it's waaay too cold to spend much time there for most of the year.

2. Geraldton has beaches too which are beautiful :)

3. Geraldton is being mooted as one of WA's regional centres, with good economic prospects etc.

4. Geraldton is also much closer to Perth than Esperance - around a four hour drive, as opposed to 7-8 hours.

Hope this helps.

Guest Gerbil

Good luck to all ARG interviewees. I dont think we get a "choice" as to which depot we are allocated. Both Narngulu and Esperance are busy and not England, so i'm happy whatever happens:spinny:

Hi, all prospective ARG employees, we have just found this site so are a bit behind you guys. Had tests on 7th June and interview is on 13 July in Bristol - two children aged 15 and 12. We have also looked at Geraldton and Esperance on the net and even youtubed it to get an insight - really hard to see. it would be great to hear from people that are in the same boat as us. Had an email back saying successful candidates could be going as early as November! How do we get everything sorted out here before we go - house to sell etc!! Has anybody had the same timescale. A&R

Guest Gerbil

Hi RAKT.

Good luck with it all.

They're looking to get the chosen drivers out there for december and january. All your questions will be answered at interview, they're very clued up! As for selling your house, i have had mine up for sale for a few months. We took the decision to rent over here whatever happens and to get the feet in this pretty slow selling market. Nothing to lose really...

Also, from what I can gather from other applicants, Geraldton seems to be the place ARG want filling. Masses of work coming to the region.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guardian Angel

Hey Guys

Just to say good luck with everything, where ever you get you will love either option. ARG are a very good company to work for, they look after their staff pretty well, infact a lot well lol.

Dont forget there will be lots of new people so the good thing is that you all start afresh so it will be sort of like a level playing fiel for everyone.

They're a good crew at either depot..so once again good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Railette

Geraldton is the best bet. But when you apply to ARG you dont get a choice where you go. Also if you want to be a driver you stand a better chane of becoming one if you already work with ARG rather than just applying

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MongooseB

Hi,

My OH has his interview on the 5th. Can anyone tell me how long they take to make a decision? We are aware that interviews are going on until the 10th of August and have heard that positions are to be filled in November - is this correct?

Hey Guys

Just to say good luck with everything, where ever you get you will love either option. ARG are a very good company to work for, they look after their staff pretty well, infact a lot well lol.

Dont forget there will be lots of new people so the good thing is that you all start afresh so it will be sort of like a level playing fiel for everyone.

They're a good crew at either depot..so once again good luck!

Guest Kornish

G'day I had my interview & tests in July! Have not heard anything, which I was told is a good thing! We will only call you if there is a problem. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? I was told at my interview that Esperance is now off the list! Geraldton is on it as ARG have a new contract starting in the middle of next year, so they want us Poms to fill these vacancies.

Can someone tell me what the status bit after kornish is, is for?

Guest MongooseB
G'day I had my interview & tests in July! Have not heard anything, which I was told is a good thing! We will only call you if there is a problem. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? I was told at my interview that Esperance is now off the list! Geraldton is on it as ARG have a new contract starting in the middle of next year, so they want us Poms to fill these vacancies.

Can someone tell me what the status bit after kornish is, is for?

Hi,

Don't worry too much, we have been told that it will only be the end of August before ARG contact people. We've not heard about any contract starting middle of next year, but do know they are wanting certain vacancies filled beginning of Nov. What position did you apply for? If it is a driver position, you may be right about the contract for mid next year.

Guest Kornish

Hello, it was for a train driver. Trying not to worry but not very good at it! Are you a driver too? I think I was told about the new contract in my interview? What are the certain vacancies you know about in November? I've got a lot to do before I go! But won't jeopardise a position, by going later if offered in November! However I and my girlfriend really wanted Esperance, it's perfect for us, we both really liked it.

:idea:

Guest Gerbil
Hello, it was for a train driver. Trying not to worry but not very good at it! Are you a driver too? I think I was told about the new contract in my interview? What are the certain vacancies you know about in November? I've got a lot to do before I go! But won't jeopardise a position, by going later if offered in November! However I and my girlfriend really wanted Esperance, it's perfect for us, we both really liked it.

:idea:

There's only Geraldton on offer apparently. So you'll have to go then wait 4 years to transfer to Esperance...

Guest Guardian Angel

Hey Guys

I wouldnt worry too much about Esperance not being available, there could be a million and one reasons, but dont worry yourself about them otherwise you will drive yourself nutty lol..could be anything from a change of planning to a change by the government on where visa's are issued.

Your main concerns really are just getting here and knowing that you will be comfortable and happy.

To be honest, yes once you are here and have done your time if you felt that way inclined you could move to anywhere and do anything you wanted to. Would you be able to apply now for anything and everything you ever wanted to do...and be assured you'd get here...lots of people are saying on this that they are in terrible strife about their situation and the not knowing and the waiting for a year or more...more or infact having their documents returned.

Think positive guys please...if you really are serious and want to come here then relax...and change your tact to a positve one on Geraldton...Its a cool place, a good place and some lovely areas to live, good schools, shops etc. Yes and the neysayers might say what about this area that area...I could name dozens in the UK as I am sure you could...does it deter you from living 20 miles away from there no...otherwise there would be quite a few miles of 'nothingness' between a lot of towns in the UK hey..

Good Luck..to you guys and honestly ARG are brilliant, seriously they are so conscience of their staff compared to lots of other companies I would rate them way way above the 1 to 10...with a plus plus lol

Guest boslowen

hi alljust liked to say thanks to everyone for all your comments and help.we , like everyone else are also waiting to hear some news , long time since we had our interview, but should be hearing something soon. so good luck to you all and keep in touch.

Guest Kornish

Yes, positive thoughts I'm feeling them!!!! Crime in the UK is I suspect far worse than Geraldton.

Just got to bear with that horrible waiting feeling! It just wont go away!

The lifestyle is far far better than here, unless your quite wealthy. Not many depots in the UK where you can go paddle boarding, surfing, windsurfing etc. In the morning before work or in the evening after work. Its also great to be able to wear a tee shirt & shorts in the winter, outdoors. Camping all year round!

Guest boslowen

Hi Kornish, I am Boslowen's OH and was just wondering if the name Kornish was yours or do you come from Cornwall originally?

Yes, positive thoughts I'm feeling them!!!! Crime in the UK is I suspect far worse than Geraldton.

Just got to bear with that horrible waiting feeling! It just wont go away!

The lifestyle is far far better than here, unless your quite wealthy. Not many depots in the UK where you can go paddle boarding, surfing, windsurfing etc. In the morning before work or in the evening after work. Its also great to be able to wear a tee shirt & shorts in the winter, outdoors. Camping all year round!

Guest Kornish

Kornish is my nickname, as I was brought or dragged up in Kornwall. WA reminded me of Cornwall quite a bit, which is a good thing as you can imagine.

Guest boslowen

Hi, Cornwall is my home county, and yes that's one of the pulls to WA for us as well. (All the beauty of Cornwall but with great weather and wonderful prospects for the family) I originally lived in Hayle and then most towns, due to work ending up in St Austell until moving out of the county 4 years ago, where abouts are your roots? Regards Boslowen OH

Kornish is my nickname, as I was brought or dragged up in Kornwall. WA reminded me of Cornwall quite a bit, which is a good thing as you can imagine.