Even the cat's miserable!

Guest karldyble

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

to try and get back on track the problem with these sites which have been done over and over again is that they offer an opportunity of help to us who are thinking about emigrating, by offering an insight into what can go wrong for people, to be made aware of all the pit falls and places not to emigrate to. Some information does dribble through, but in general it turns into an almighty whinge and those wanting to come back, or who have come back can't see this. Yes i could avoid these sites, but why should i and yes i could ignore the whinging posts, but again why should i, this is PIO not PIB (Poms In Britain, or returning). No matter what anyone says on these threads that doesn't fall in with the majority, they will be attacked and personally abused. I have been involved in these sites before and even the smallest thing said gets jumped on. If someone has a go at me then i will have a go at them and i am not interested in what they say, because they are bitter in their comments, so i don't take offence, but i do take verbal action. This thread should give good sensible information about Australia, things that we need to know and things that can help us stop making the same mistakes. I won't hold my breath though, i am a very upbeat positive person, who has a chance to live a great life in Australia, or carry on living a great life in the uk. The uk is a great place to live and its going through a long bad patch at present, hopefully it will get better. But most people who have emigrated have left to make a better life or for an adventure, the fact is its not getting better in the uk and the reasons why you left are still here. I say this though, you deserve credit for going and if it hasn't or doesn't work out, then come back, but for goodness sake stop whinging about Australia trying to make out that the one place you were at was awful and that it is a reflection of the rest of Australia, when clearly it isn't. And finally stop being so touchy when someone says, the weather here in the uk is crap and its fantastic in Australia, its a fact, its not something to be inpolite and sarcastic about. If you were unhappy in the uk and you were unhappy in Australia, maybe its you that has a problem, not these countries. Me i am happy where ever i am, whats the point in being miserable, lifes too short.

jim

Guest spacegirl73
Hi karldybie

this post is a lot better than your original one, it sounded very whingy i know you don't like that term, but thats how it came across to me, i don't mean any offence. I was going to suggest trying some where else in Australia and by travelling there is a good chance that you might come across an area that you feel is THE PLACE to live you never know. All the reasons why you left the uk are still here and the forecasts from the experts are that its going to get worse. Also the weather has been awful, not one evening since september have we been able to sit out and have a barbecue, thats over 8 months, so you have to consider the lifestyle you have now, it must have been a major factor when you were thinking about emigrating. People go to Australia to one place and with the pull of home and missing family and friends still fresh in their minds and they decide that Australia is CRAP!!!!!!! and want to come home, which is rediculous, because it is one of the best, if not the best countries to live in, in the world. I have a great life in the uk and this is making it harder for us to emigrate, but most people on here are thinking of emigrating to look for a better life, but it doesn't always work out like that and at least you have tried it.

jim

Jim,

For what reasons do you want to emigrate to Australia (apart from the weather?) If you think its the best place to live in the world, I dont understand why it would make it harder for you to emigrate just because people have moved here and havent fallen head over heels for the place and decided to go back to the UK! :wacko:

Guest chris955

It's interesting that you say the UK is a great place and you have a great life there but you rarely seem to have anything positive to say about the place, maybe that is why people react the way they do to you ?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jim, I think maybe it is because you seem incapable of accepting that many people don't like it here and want to go home. I'm sorry you haven't been able to have a BBQ for 8 months were you live, perhaps move to where some of my friends are as they haven't had the same issues.

Sunshine and BBQ's are NOT the be all and end all, if those things are your priorities in life then you will have a ball here. I do wonder why, as a non Australian, you seem to take offence so easily when someone decides this country isn't for them ? A genuine question and not meant to offend.

Also a general question, why do so many people suggest moving to another part of Australia but no-one suggests moving to a better part of the UK before coming here ?

Hi chris

nice to talk to adult now the child has gone. I have been to meet ups for people wanting to emigrate and most want to go to Australia for the lifestyle, but i accept that people who are already there don't now see this has important, everyone becomes blase' over what they have got. The answer to why people don't move to other parts of the uk is a simple one, is it any better there, i think not, if money is not an issue then certain places where its costly to buy an house might be ok, but the weather is still awful. I don't take offence to people not liking Australia, i don't take offence even when they try to paint all of Australia as being the same. I like to point out to them that, there are other fantastic places in Australia, crikey if you can move 12,000 miles to the other side of the world, surely you can go to another state. The problem i have is that most of the negative comments are one dimensional and sound quite pathetic, but people are suffering and its personal and they may struggle to put it down in words, which is understandible. But just because someone says something different, doesn't mean they should be poked fun at and have sarcastic remarks made about them. I am a big guy and i can take it and yes i will give it back, but the whingers always attack and it gets boring, they just come across as even bigger whingers, which is a shame. Decent dialogue and good manners should be observed at all times, but if you attack me i will defend myself, lets hope its amicable from now on.

jim

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It's interesting that you say the UK is a great place and you have a great life there but you rarely seem to have anything positive to say about the place, maybe that is why people react the way they do to you ?

Hi chris

i have said countless times in dozens of posts that the uk is a great place to live and if the weather was better i would probably never have applied for and got my visa, but there is alot of things going wrong here at the moment and the experts, not me say that its going to get worse for a long time before it gets better. I don't see why people should react in a sarcastic abusive way to anything anyone says, we can have a discussion and we might disagree, but its wrong to be insulting to someone, just because you don't agree with the, its not British.

jim:wink:

Guest spacegirl73
Hi chris

nice to talk to adult now the child has gone. I have been to meet ups for people wanting to emigrate and most want to go to Australia for the lifestyle, but i accept that people who are already there don't now see this has important, everyone becomes blase' over what they have got. The answer to why people don't move to other parts of the uk is a simple one, is it any better there, i think not, if money is not an issue then certain places where its costly to buy an house might be ok, but the weather is still awful. I don't take offence to people not liking Australia, i don't take offence even when they try to paint all of Australia as being the same. I like to point out to them that, there are other fantastic places in Australia, crikey if you can move 12,000 miles to the other side of the world, surely you can go to another state. The problem i have is that most of the negative comments are one dimensional and sound quite pathetic, but people are suffering and its personal and they may struggle to put it down in words, which is understandible. But just because someone says something different, doesn't mean they should be poked fun at and have sarcastic remarks made about them. I am a big guy and i can take it and yes i will give it back, but the whingers always attack and it gets boring, they just come across as even bigger whingers, which is a shame. Decent dialogue and good manners should be observed at all times, but if you attack me i will defend myself, lets hope its amicable from now on.

jim

Decent dialogue and good manners should be observed at all times! A bit contradictive dont you think? :arghh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jim,

For what reasons do you want to emigrate to Australia (apart from the weather?) If you think its the best place to live in the world, I dont understand why it would make it harder for you to emigrate just because people have moved here and havent fallen head over heels for the place and decided to go back to the UK! :wacko:

Hi spacegirl

this is agood question and i think everyone has a different answer. I am sick to death of the weather and this winter i got a bad cold/flu thing that went onto my chest, a friend of mine died with similar symtoms and i have to admit, i was scared. I am 50 years old and had a barbecue overlooking the beach at surfers paradise, with a swim in the pool and soak in the jacuzzi, which was heaven and i want this lifestyle. I know i will have to work, i have for 34 years, so i expect that to be the same, but at least i can play golf most of the year in a t-shirt and shorts and sit out most nights chilling out, already done it and loved it. I also feel that i want some adventure, i have been on holiday , the Carribean, to the USA , Australia twice, almost everywhere in europe and i would like my holidays to be in Fiji, Sydney, Whitsunday islands, Bali etc. I don't recall saying that it would make it harder for me to emigrate because people don't like Australia, i have been and i love it and no matter what anyone said it wouldn't change my thoughts. All thats stopping us is leaving family and friends and i can imagine thats same for for most people and if they want to go back because of this then thats as good a reason as any and whos to say that might not be us in a few years time. I won't go back saying things like, all ozzies are ignorant and racist and that they hate us english, said on other sites not this one and that it was too hot and has loads of bugs and other nasty things, didn't anyone know this already. Be happy in Australia, or be happy in the uk, but do try to be happy, lifes too short to be miserable all the time.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Decent dialogue and good manners should be observed at all times! A bit contradictive dont you think? :arghh:

NO it is simple, i was attacked first, so i attacked back. I have never done this on PIO and its poor manners, again something thats got worse in recent times. If your nice to me i will be nice to you, if not then expect aggro.

Guest spacegirl73

I think "attacked" is a bit harsh Jim,

I think Corinamac is just a bit frustrated that we get shot down in flames when we express any negativity against Australia (you dont have to like it!)

I also dont understand why you would be reading a post in the "Moving back to the UK" section Why does it aggrevate you so much when people say they dont like Australia? And why do you perceive it as being whingy when people are just purely asking for advice and guidance and expressing their views?

Anyway Jim I have to say this last hour on PIO has been more entertaining than Australian TV!! :tongue:

Without wanting to join in the argument too much I must say I agree with Jim when it he says the main issue is that people take it too far and tar the whole of Australia with the same brush. To me this gives an inaccurate impression to people who have yet to emigrate.

Yes you can find childish banter, boring places, people who only talk about sport etc....but Australia also has lots of places and people who are totally the opposite to this and everything in between. Lots of Aussies never go near a beach even when they live near one and some hate sport and love the theatre. Like anywhere there is all types. A huge percentage of Australians have travelled overseas and due to the distances a lot have lived overseas as well.

I don't think it is the criticism of Australia than rankles, in fact I agree with some of it, it is taking it that next step and implying all of Australia is like that. To me it is the equivalent of going to a ****ty part of Sunderland and then saying I hate the UK because the people are uncultured, the food is crap, its boring, and they all talk about football all day long - and then declare that you have to leave the UK because there is more to life than pints and football - implying that the whole of the UK and the people are the same as that one ****ty part of one town.

If people were just more careful about specifically criticising where they live, rather than the whole of their city, state, county or country (Australia or the UK), it would eradicate a lot of the problems on this forum in my opinion. Of course sometimes things are country wide issues but not always.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Without wanting to join in the argument too much I must say I agree with Jim when it he says the main issue is that people take it too far and tar the whole of Australia with the same brush. To me this gives an inaccurate impression to people who have yet to emigrate.

Yes you can find childish banter, boring places, people who only talk about sport etc....but Australia also has lots of places and people who are totally the opposite to this and everything in between. Lots of Aussies never go near a beach even when they live near one and some hate sport and love the theatre. Like anywhere there is all types. A huge percentage of Australians have travelled overseas and due to the distances a lot have lived overseas as well.

I don't think it is the criticism of Australia than rankles, in fact I agree with some of it, it is taking it that next step and implying all of Australia is like that. To me it is the equivalent of going to a ****ty part of Sunderland and then saying I hate the UK because the people are uncultured, the food is crap, its boring, and they all talk about football all day long - and then declare that you have to leave the UK because there is more to life than pints and football - implying that the whole of the UK and the people are the same as that one ****ty part of one town.

If people were just more careful about specifically criticising where they live, rather than the whole of their city, state, county or country (Australia or the UK), it would eradicate a lot of the problems on this forum in my opinion. Of course sometimes things are country wide issues but not always.

Hi fish

its nice to hear a normal reply instead of an attack, i have enjoyed the banter and its now time to move on, i don't like dwelling on the negative and i genuinely hope that the thread starter and anyone else who is thinking about coming back, that things work out for all of them.

all the best everyone and stop taking things so seriously.

jim:jiggy:

Guest beckinbris

I think Corinamac is just a bit frustrated that we get shot down in flames when we express any negativity against Australia (you dont have to like it!)

I also dont understand why you would be reading a post in the "Moving back to the UK" section Why does it aggrevate you so much when people say they dont like Australia? And why do you perceive it as being whingy when people are just purely asking for advice and guidance and expressing their views?

Anyway Jim I have to say this last hour on PIO has been more entertaining than Australian TV!! :tongue:

ANYTHING IS MORE EXCITING THAN AUSSIE TV :jiggy:

Guest Guest37175

Spot on. Do pro-Australia posters feel threatened by those of us who don't love it or can't settle?. Does it touch some raw nerve that makes people think "Have I done the right thing?, was it worth all the sacrifices entailed?."

If that's the case then they really shouldn't. Oz is a fine country and can offer great opportunities, but depending upon the stats you read anything between 3000-6000 Brits who've moved out here with the intention of it being permanent go back each year. That's out of, I believe, around 24000 who move out each year intending to be here for the long haul.

Those of us going home / wanting to go home are in the minority. But that minority will always be there, just as for all the Aussies who love a two-year stint in the UK there's a proportion who can't handle the weather, the crowds or London transport and who will go home sharpish.

Personally I also don't understand why someone who thinks Oz is for them posts on the MBTTUK Forum. You're almost certainly going to be exposed to views which clash head-on with your own. What do you gain from this?. If you're dead-set on making the move to Oz then I doubt that some dissenting voices on this forum are going to put you off. After all, you know what's right for you and yours. Equally, if you've realised that it's not for you, then being told to think about relocating to Tassie, Perth or the Sunny Coast is not likely to have you thinking "You know what, that poster's right, the other side of Australia here we come."

If Oz is for you then fair play. If it's for you and you can't understand why it's not ticking the boxes for someone else then let it go. It's never going to work for everyone. Carry on being happy with your choice, but don't assume that your choice suits everyone or that mocking or patronising those of us going home gives you any superiority over us.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You seem to make a lot from such a little.....?

like your profile pic by the way did you think of that all by yourself?

P.S not missing my mother at all and have lovely friends here thanks-but as everyone who doesn't like it here will tell you the barbies and sunshine aren't everything-and no I haven't said I hate Oz either.

Now think of your blood pressure-having to tell people you are a nice guy must be such a strain-go and enjoy your sunday.

:v_SPIN:

Hi Corinamac

i have changed my avitar pic for you seeing that it was upsetting you so much, i hope this one gives you the thrill you are seeking, i feel there is some sort of chemistry between us and they say hate, is very close to love, pm me, i have some more HOFF pictures, thats if your a girl, hell even if your a boy it doesn't matter, everyone swinging both ways these days.

jim - the ROPEY HOFF.:Randy-git:

NO it is simple, i was attacked first, so i attacked back. I have never done this on PIO and its poor manners, again something thats got worse in recent times. If your nice to me i will be nice to you, if not then expect aggro.

Surly your not being attacted again Jim?

Just a Bit of luck that your 6'4 and built like brick sh!t house.

Just get your trumpet out that'll scare them off:chatterbox:

Surly your not being attacted again Jim?

Just a Bit of luck that your 6'4 and built like brick sh!t house.

Just get your trumpet out that'll scare them off:chatterbox:

Too many sensitive souls on here and get your facts right i'm 6'3 and my physique is more like the Hoffs. I'm still part gay though if your interested.

Me Hoff I'm more into women, not that I'm bothered by an inch or two, its the trumpet that might hurt. Hope you enjoyed Aus

Spot on. Do pro-Australia posters feel threatened by those of us who don't love it or can't settle?. Does it touch some raw nerve that makes people think "Have I done the right thing?, was it worth all the sacrifices entailed?."

I can only speak for myself when I say I don't understand why people after a very short time dis-like Australia and want to move home. I'm not saying that everyone should love Australia or put up with x, y & z because life is not like that. For most, they have spent a lot of time, money, energy and not to mention all of the stress to get there and after a very short time want to come "home" (imho) you should give yourself time to get to know the place or at least travel to find another state/area to better suit your needs.... As I said imho

But at the end of the day the person who is un-happy is the one that needs to live that life, but once again you can't really complain if you don't try every avenue and give in at the 1st hurdle........

I also think when people talk about how they feel about the place and or the people after only a very short time are being un-fair because there is no way you can understand the culture after such a short time and that's not saying you are wrong because you may well be right but it's more on understanding who, how, what and why that is the key.

As to your comments on why "Personally I also don't understand why someone who thinks Oz is for them posts on the MBTTUK Forum" Once again only speaking for myself I don't read each forum, I click on new posts and click on the thread title that takes my interest so I don't know what forum I'm reading.

I wish everyone well :hug:

Lifes too short to feel so unhappy ... start making plans to return to the UK. Look on it that you'd taken an opportunity that arose to try something different and it didn't work out. I think a lot of people are attracted to the mines because of the salary, most people know that it's long hours and very tedious with little to do outside the working hours ... most people will do it for the money to fund a house or particular lifestyle.

Hi Corinamac

i have changed my avitar pic for you seeing that it was upsetting you so much, i hope this one gives you the thrill you are seeking, i feel there is some sort of chemistry between us and they say hate, is very close to love, pm me, i have some more HOFF pictures, thats if your a girl, hell even if your a boy it doesn't matter, everyone swinging both ways these days.

jim - the ROPEY HOFF.:Randy-git:

Aw Jim- just when you hoped people were taking you seriously-as I said before you will fit in here a treat.

P.S Your wife must be sooo proud

good luck with your futue in Oz although sure you wont need it

Archived