Changes to the General Skilled Migration Programme

Stuju

Spotted this on immi.gov today thought some of you might like to know

Changes to the General Skilled Migration programme (GSM) will be introduced on 1 September 2007. People who have made an application for a skilled visa on or before 31 August 2007 will not be affected by the changes.

Changes will include:

• increasing the English language threshold for GSM visa applicants
  • rewarding GSM visa applicants who have very good English language proficiency
  • greater emphasis on skilled work experience
  • introduction of a new temporary work visa for graduates
  • simplifying the GSM visa structure.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/changes/index.htm

Guest angela m

My other half's a wonderful guy, fantasic with his hands, can build, fix or make anything, but he's the most dyslexic person that I know!!

Angela

Hello lovely peeps!

Have to say i'm a bit concerned about this, like angela's OH the boy is brilliant with his hands but is severely dyslexic.....

Would there be some sort of provision for this? If you provided them with educational psychologist reports from school couldn't they take the test verbally or something?

We can't even apply till december (we've only been living together for 6 months) but i am getting myself into a complete state worrying already!

I WANT TO GO SO BAD!!!!!:chatterbox:

English test could have the opposite effect of what was intended.

Quite ironic that the English test requirement emerged more as a political issue in Oz, and based on some research by a university academic at Monash University. He concluded, on what evidence not sure, that business had problems with many international students applying for residency without sufficient English language skills (or conversely, Australia would prefer white native speakers appealing to John Howard's constituency).

How these students managed to get through the whole process via the education system should be have alarm bells about quality control in universities etc. ringing, but no blame the foreigner....

Now the interesting bit, with a background in teaching English as a Foreign Language and counselling students, govt. will learn that many have excellent listening, reading and writing skills while weak (or perceived to be weak) spoken skills when they do not sound like an Ocker Ozzie..

However, the IELTS test (4 bands: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing) is very challenging (academic especially vs VET) and a quite accurate predictor, but many native speakers will or could have extreme difficulty in showing proficiency via the written band :(

Guest Davidgolf

I am so glad that we have got our visa as soon as some body says do a test i go to bits and really cant spell to save my life thank god for spell check or you would be all nite trying to work it out hahahaha:biglaugh:

sharon

Guest angela m

I don't know if I could manage without Spell Check.

However, that said, once I did sent an e-mail with "don't shot the massager" instead of don't shoot the messenger. to this bloke in the office. Never lived that one down.

my agent sent me some info through about this apparantly everyone will have to take an english test???

<snip>

Not quite correct. Under the new post-01/09/2007 regime those with a UK passport will no longer be automatically granted 20 points (as is the case now).

Rather, 15 points will be granted automatically, and applicants will be able to claim 25 points if they can obtain the required levels of competency in an IELTS test.

Best regards.

Archived