Car Hire in Canberra

Richste

Hi

Just after a bit of advice, where coming over in August for our reccie/validation trip and need to hire a car, just wondering is it cheaper to book the car from over here (UK), or just wait until we get there and go to a rental place in Canberra?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Rich

Well we do have some cheapo places - like Rumbles rentacar but for safety's sake I would be booking a car in advance as you can never be sure you will get what you want. Personally I tend to go with the bigger agencies like Budget, Thrifty, Avis, Hertz because they have more agencies around the place (in case you get into trouble or want to drop off at another place) and you can get reasonable deals with unlimited mileage. If you get a restricted mileage deal (which will be cheaper) then you wont be going far as it is easy to rack up the km. You get better deals for longer term rentals - check out the websites for their "specials" they all have them. Alternatively dump it on your travel agent and tell them to get the best deal for you. I doubt it will make terribly much difference pricewise but you will be secure in knowing that you will have a car when you arrive.

I always book in advance, that way you know what the total price is and if you go to a site like netflights then you know you have all the insurances as well before you go

Nothing worse than going to pick up a car and finding they want loads more money off you!

Guest 101126

I found it slightly cheaper booking the car in the UK. I booked with Hertz and picked the car up from Sydney airport and dropped off in town in Canberra. If you are flying into Canberra and want the pick up here; there are typically two options, that being to rent from the airport or from a city centre location and most of the big companies have sites in both locations. It is typically more expensive to rent from the airport but obviously more convenient.

Good luck

Archived