IT Jobs in Australia (Perth)

Guest melodicminor

I would really like to know too how you are faring. My partner and I will be moving april next year and we are both in IT and this post is a little discouraging. We have been keeping an eye on job adverts though and by the looks of it, there's jobs in abundance particularly in the Sydney area.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the complete opposite to the posts above, Im a pom and even managed to secure a 457 initially, then once i got perm residency i moved on. My current employer has struggled to get good CV's from any natioanlity in IT. There seems to be a real shortage of good IT staff here, lots of jobs out there just keep plugging away with the agencies.

I find the complete opposite to the posts above, Im a pom and even managed to secure a 457 initially, then once i got perm residency i moved on. My current employer has struggled to get good CV's from any natioanlity in IT. There seems to be a real shortage of good IT staff here, lots of jobs out there just keep plugging away with the agencies.

Where is "here"? Perth? *crosses fingers*

You find the job? IT industry should now really need people.

I am now out of a graduate student, very hard to find the job,and my learn e-commerce, just start to feel our community should be required of such talent come out to know to find themselves, their interest to work hard.

I hope you can find a job soon.

good luck!

:cute:

You find the job? IT industry should now really need people.

I am now out of a graduate student, very hard to find the job,and my learn e-commerce, just start to feel our community should be required of such talent come out to know to find themselves, their interest to work hard.

I hope you can find a job soon.

good luck!

:cute:

Don't mean to be too critical but I hope your resume reads a lot better English than your post.

Might pay you to get someone to do your resume for you.

Yeh Perth, the market has definetly picked up from about 12 months ago.

Brilliant.

Thanks for confirming.

Now to dust off my resume, and add my .NET and SQL stuff.

I'd even been going so far as to browse GumTree as there were a few part time jobs for iPhone development (I've been playing with Xcode at home ) and iPhone repairs (I've fixed a few screens and jailbroken quite a few devices in my spare time).

But If I can get a proper role straight off the plane, it'd be so much better.

Guest melodicminor

Would definitely agree with the more recent posts. Of late and now I have secured good work the agencies keep a-calling. Recently offered a 100K position which is twice the salary of the job I took 8 months ago.

Get a damn good CV, blow them away at the interview and a very nice career awaits in Perth ATM.

Would definitely agree with the more recent posts. Of late and now I have secured good work the agencies keep a-calling. Recently offered a 100K position which is twice the salary of the job I took 8 months ago.

Get a damn good CV, blow them away at the interview and a very nice career awaits in Perth ATM.

Do you mind if I drop you a PM / Email regarding agencies etc? Would like to start conversations with the better ones in the New Year.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cenedra42

hi melodic - very interested to read your thread as my hubbie and I are just starting the visa process and he wants to find IT work in perth, as with Bibbs would you mind suggesting some agencies you think are worthwhile approaching? We're hoping to come over this year on holiday so could set up meetings with some of them then hopefully

my husband it a tech consultant at the moment advising clients on their IT requirements but his real skill/passion lies in network admin, do you know if this is 'in demand'?

thanks for any assistance!

Tina

Guest edie209

Quite interesting reading, I created a post but I think I will repost here

We plan to move to Perth later this year however I was thinking about coming out a little earlier to to meet with some employment agencies and get my face around so to speak .

We moved to Australia 2 years ago and it all went wrong to be honest and we found ourselves back in the UK before we really realised what we we doing so I want to try and get everything as right as possible.

If I was to come out for about a week to 10 days do you think I would be able to get around to see enough employment agencies? For any reading this I have MCSE security / MCITP EA / Sharepoint and SQL MCTS amonst others.

Also is there a list of IT agencies anywhere or will I have to hunt them all down on the web?

To be honest just get here, you wont have an issue finding good work opportunities in IT. Providing you have a good CV history you'l do just fine.

Bibbs - We were after a .net\Sharepoint developer with experience in Sharepoint 2010, but hey so are lots of companies over here and we couldnt get one.

Best agency we used in IT so far ahs been Sense IT. Pom guy runs the IT side.

To be honest just get here, you wont have an issue finding good work opportunities in IT. Providing you have a good CV history you'l do just fine.

Bibbs - We were after a .net\Sharepoint developer with experience in Sharepoint 2010, but hey so are lots of companies over here and we couldnt get one.

Best agency we used in IT so far ahs been Sense IT. Pom guy runs the IT side.

I probably have the .NET skill, but zero Sharepoint exposure sadly. Typically I was working with two gurus over here, and just as we were gearing up to include me, they left to start their own firm.

Thanks for the recruitment heads up. Will look into them.

Wife has exchanged on the house, so it's now pack and get out there :)

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update this.

bbor was right. Just "get out here".

Got no bites with months of hunting in the UK.

Here is what I've posted on another forum, but will posts here too :

-------------------------

Just to update this. I'm now in Perth, and I have a developer job.

My background was 10+ years in development and maintenance, across a broad range of environments and applications. "Jack or all trades" as such.

I spent the first week meeting agencies and filling in their forms.

I spent the second week chasing agencies.

I spent the third week doing the ground work myself via Seek.com.au.

I spent the fourth week in interviews (4 at one company, 3 at another).

I spent the fifth week deciding between the two above and chasing agencies.

I started the sixth week.

So now I'm a .NET programmer (with a bit of SQL thrown in) for a Multinational. Not an exact match with my job history, but they seemed to like me.

Notes : Agencies are not that good (like the UK). Companies seem to like you to apply in person and be available for interviews the next day.

Contracting is popular. You will need to setup your own company (hard for a non-citizen I believe) or go through an umbrella company.

Good spoken English is a bonus. I was almost offered jobs on the spot as I was confident and could explain technical details easily - something that is often missing from a lot of IT applicants here apparently.

The pay is good. Even better when you compare it to the current exchange rate.

Congratulations Bibbs. Glad to see you settled in quickly.

My company has just put out an advert for a Systems Engineer today so it should be in the papers at the weekend.

Only open to Aussie citizens as you will need security clearance.

Congratulations Bibbs. Glad to see you settled in quickly.

My company has just put out an advert for a Systems Engineer today so it should be in the papers at the weekend.

Only open to Aussie citizens as you will need security clearance.

The wife started her job the first Monday after we landed. I'm annoyed it took 6 weeks for me to get something, I should have done the work myself from the start. At least it gave me time to sort out all the paperwork.

What papers would the job be in (for any other reading this)? I tried the WestAustralian, but there seemed to be a lack of IT roles advertised.

Even managed to catch an AFL match, a full weekend at the V8 racing, an evening at the Speedway as well as plenty of evenings out and lunches by the river in the 8 weeks we've been here. Just waiting till the end of the month before we move into a rental proper.

The wife started her job the first Monday after we landed. I'm annoyed it took 6 weeks for me to get something, I should have done the work myself from the start. At least it gave me time to sort out all the paperwork.

What papers would the job be in (for any other reading this)? I tried the WestAustralian, but there seemed to be a lack of IT roles advertised.

Even managed to catch an AFL match, a full weekend at the V8 racing, an evening at the Speedway as well as plenty of evenings out and lunches by the river in the 8 weeks we've been here. Just waiting till the end of the month before we move into a rental proper.

Should be in Saturdays West Australian.

You've done more in 8 weeks than we've done in 20 years. Never got round to the speedway, we tried the V8's but don't think the track is up to it, not big enough and not enough places to pass.

Been to a couple of AFL games and love the game. Both kids have played and I ended up coaching it for a few years when my eldest joined Ozkick. Coached at the surfclub to for a few years. Great fun and keeps you young at heart.

Mad West Coast Eagles fan as they were just hitting their top form when we came over.

My wife started work afer being here a couple of weeks. Took me 5 months to get a job but never been out of work since. It was pretty dire in 92 work wise, nothing like it is now. We didn't expect it to be though as things were bad in the UK when we left, difference was we both had jobs we gave up to come out here. A lot of our friends thought we were mad at the time but it's worked out great. We both wish we had made the move a lot sooner but all's well that ends well eh!

Guest edie209

Well done Bibbs.

I think I will have confirmation this week of a job too its been quite a long process it has probably taken about 3 months from the initial contact. I had a medical this week and hope to get the offer in the post next week. And all from the UK

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear you guys are now doing well. This post has made me a little nervous though. It looks like the only place I can get in is SA, as I am applying for a skills assessment as a Systems Administrator. SA and ACT are the only 2 states with this on the SMP.

How hard have people found it to get a sponsored job? I really like WA when we were out there, but I am guessing my best chances of sponsorship are NSW and VIC. Would I be wrong to assume that?

Mind if I jump into this thread?

I'm an old Cobol Db2 Senior developer (with some CICS although I usually interface with a more modern client, .Net at the moment)

I graduated from Murdoch Uni in Perth, and I've worked in Perth before. I'm currently in the UK, and I've found it nearly impossible to get work in Perth because they seem to have all their mainframes over east, (there is work in Mel and Canberra). I'm in the process of cross training to c# .net. I've done two years of Java at open Uni. I find it quite straightforward syntax wise, but there is a lot to learn, and it is a very different way of thinking.

My hope is to get a few years experience at .Net and then maybe try and get a junior role in perth. My only problem is whether employers will take me seriously, although I'm still well under fifty, so hopefully they will.

Archived