Tasmania SS Question - Strong personal link

reza

Hi there

just had a question about tasmania ss - In its demand occupation list there is condition which says " Strong Personal Link" for civil engineers - what does it mean exactly ?

• 7 months later...

I did not have any link and it was fine. Just told them it had been on top of my list but I was a poor student.

I'm an environmental health officer, not sure if this condition doesn't apply for it though.

Guest siamsusie
Tasmania reminds us of home, small city, the sea, lots of nature..... :heart_head_nod_yes_

Shsssssh not too loud, it is Australia's best kept secret!

Just not quite so flat and stretched out there as where you live, M! And a fair bit warmer too. More like Northern France I think. Lovely though, at least there is nature, unlike in the Netherlands.

I also had to write them a special letter stating that if I can't find work I'd do more study, had to specify which study and everything. Then it was fine. Nice people there, wish they'd tell me if I am on the SMP list or not. Emailed them and all they said was that if I already had sponsorship I would keep it and it would not impact me. Which isn't true. Sigh.

Guest siamsusie
Just not quite so flat and stretched out there as where you live, M! And a fair bit warmer too. More like Northern France I think. Lovely though, at least there is nature, unlike in the Netherlands.

I also had to write them a special letter stating that if I can't find work I'd do more study, had to specify which study and everything. Then it was fine. Nice people there, wish they'd tell me if I am on the SMP list or not. Emailed them and all they said was that if I already had sponsorship I would keep it and it would not impact me. Which isn't true. Sigh.

I am from the Joordan, granted not too much nature there, but Friesland is still pretty green:wink:. Tasmania is very similar to Scotland in many ways.

Guest siamsusie
it is farmland. That is not the same as nature. there is no nature in the Netherlands. Planted trees don't count as nature either.

Yes I love the impending Pulp Mills coming to Tasmania as well, does mother nature so much good:biggrin:

The Frisian Islands in the Wadden Sea area in the north of Holland are also well worth a visit. The small island of Texel is a peaceful destination for nature lovers and families, having sandy beaches, sand dunes and woods. In the nature reserves of the Wadden Sea there are excellent opportunities for outdoor activities and birdwatching.

We all have our own interpretations of nature.... for me it still exists but granted Tasmania has everything that I enjoy. I dont miss the flatness thats for sure!

still doesn't count, the sea here is so poor and polluted. And yes, some of Tassie is bad too, but you can hardly compare Dutch swamps to the vast mountains and pristine forests of Tasmania. It is like comparing Mondrian to a newspaper. Not the same.

Anyhow, I'll be so glad to leave!

Guest siamsusie
Me too! Although I'll miss some Dutch things... stroopwafels, hagelslag and drop. :laugh:

Wooloworths are very kind to us Dutchies, and as Skani says plenty of places to buy our little delights in Hobart... even north I am well catered for

same here, most dutch food were findable, often just in the supermarket. Even hagelslag, it is sold as cake-sprinkels. I can't remember seeing stroopwafels, but did see cano's, ontbijtkoek, speculaas and lots of others, usually a metre of shelves with dutch stuff. Great when you are feeling homesick a little, or just crap in general.

Wish they'd hurry with the SMP's, it will be so nice to be back home.

Guest siamsusie
Sounds like heaven more and more. :cute:

Can't wait to take my plane.....

:wink:The way its going, there appears to be an influx (10 x:biggrin:) of people coming over to our gorgeous Island.... we may be lucky and get Poms in Tassie one of these days:jiggy:

same here, most dutch food were findable, often just in the supermarket.

There was very large Dutch migration to Tasmania in the 25 years after 1945, particularly to certain areas such as Kingston, south of Hobart. Kingston was in the catchment area for my high school and it seemed that every second student there was from Holland.

Even my French and German teacher was Dutch and I wonder now if I had a Dutch/Australian French or German accent :biggrin:

Siamsusie mentioned that the supermarket chain Woolworths is particularly good for Dutch food. That's probably because Woolworths took over 2 smaller supermarket chains which were founded by 2 Dutchmen - Roelf Vos (which was also the name of the store) in the north and Engel Sypkes (Purity Supermarkets) in the south.

Same for Albury, lots of Dutch people there too. But I found dutch food in just about any supermarket (and that could be only woolworths, not sure), in Australia.

It is very nice, I used to get homesick once a month (periods) and get dutch food and feel all ok again.

Archived