A Million Pounds.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

OK Folks.

Most, not all of us on PIO are in Australia, or are planning on going to Australia. My question is this. If you were offered a million pounds tomorrow to either stay in the UK, or return from Australia would you do it. The only rule being that you were not allowed, ever, to live in Australia until you're dyeing day.

NOTHING else would change. The ONLY difference would be is that you would have a substantial amount of money behind you. In other words, the UK may have a change of government, may increase health spending, may decrease health spending. Schooling would get worse or better, blah, blah, blah. The ONLY thing that will be different is that you have more money than before. The UK and Australia will remain the same. Same positives, same negatives.

Yes, its true you may be able to afford the things you have always wanted. You may be able to move to a different area of the country, but in essence all will be equal. The only thing that will have changed is your ability to afford so called 'luxuries' if of course you wanted to. And 'if' the money is invested very wisely, you 'may' not HAVE to work again.

Would you for a million quid consider staying in this country or returning to it?

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest31881

I would go back, not because i dont like it here. I would go back to ensure my kids would have security. I would spend some of the money on a house each for my 2 kids. Then buy myself something on the Isle Of Wight, or the west country. I could then retire and live a comfortable life, knowing my kids were secure.

If i did not have children, then it would be a harder decision. I love it here and although the temptation of the money would be great, I think I would prefer to live out the rest of my life here. So if you have a spare million I am willing to be tempted. :biggrin:

Guest Perth Princess

I wouldn't spend the rest of my life in Australia for a million quid. I can't wait to get back to the UK even though it's going to cost a fortune.

Guest guest37336
I would go back, not because i dont like it here. I would go back to ensure my kids would have security. I would spend some of the money on a house each for my 2 kids. Then buy myself something on the Isle Of Wight, or the west country. I could then retire and live a comfortable life, knowing my kids were secure.

If i did not have children, then it would be a harder decision. I love it here and although the temptation of the money would be great, I think I would prefer to live out the rest of my life here. So if you have a spare million I am willing to be tempted. :biggrin:

:shocked:'So if you have a spare million I am willing to be tempted'.

I only wish. We can all dream though. I love your sentiments by the way about your kids.:wink: Along the same lines I think as well.

Cheers Tony

The only rule being that you were not allowed, ever, to live in Australia until you're dyeing day.

Would that be the Lord Ashcroft definition of 'living in' Australia? :wink:

I'd take the money. The OH would be hacked off with me, but I reckon we could find an island close by that would do the job nicely. Do the conditions prohibit visits?

Guest guest37336

I'd take the money. The OH would be hacked off with me, but I reckon we could find an island close by that would do the job nicely. Do the conditions prohibit visits?

No I reckon visits will be allowed. Lets face it, the UK at times can get us all down. So I reckon 'visits' to OZ would be OK. I have a mate (no names, no pack drill) etc, who has been 'visiting' Australia for the past five years, visa ran out four years ago though.:chatterbox::wink:

norfolk island would do me !

Guest SunshineSmile

Your having a laugh (as they say over here in Ireland) :biglaugh:

The contents of Fort Knox would not make me stay in this place.

Money means nothing when your miserable :nah:

No I reckon visits will be allowed. Lets face it, the UK at times can get us all down. So I reckon 'visits' to OZ would be OK. I have a mate (no names, no pack drill) etc, who has been 'visiting' Australia for the past five years, visa ran out four years ago though.:chatterbox::wink:

A definite yes for me then.:biglaugh:

ha ha, i live on and Island and it's a pain to travel to and from, by the time you have bought a house, paid your gas and leccy bills, bought some petrol and used fly maybe to get to the UK mainland you wouldn't have much change left.:biggrin:

ha ha, i live on and Island and it's a pain to travel to and from, by the time you have bought a house, paid your gas and leccy bills, bought some petrol and used fly maybe to get to the UK mainland you wouldn't have much change left.:biggrin:

I wasn't thinking of a UK island - I was thinking of somewhere in the South Pacific, well-served by a low cost airline to Australia. I agree - there wouldn't be much change from a million, these days a billion is the new million.:biglaugh:

I wasn't thinking of a UK island - I was thinking of somewhere in the South Pacific, well-served by a low cost airline to Australia. I agree - there wouldn't be much change from a million, these days a billion is the new million.:biglaugh:

ah ok, yes that would make much more sense:biggrin:

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Tony, begining to have serious worries about your sanity with the things you keep posting on here, have you escaped from a looney bin and your wife is a nurse who lets you on the computer for an hour a day so you can express your inner- most thoughts:laugh:

Anyway in answer to your question, a million pounds nowadays is not what it used to be, there are many millionares and that amount of money doesn't go that far, although it does help. I personally would still go to Oz and turn down 1 million, on the other hand 10 million would be a very different thing.

Can't wait to see what your next subject will be:wink: Lesley

Guest guest37336
Hi Tony, begining to have serious worries about your sanity with the things you keep posting on here, have you escaped from a looney bin and your wife is a nurse who lets you on the computer for an hour a day so you can express your inner- most thoughts:

Anyway in answer to your question, a million pounds nowadays is not what it used to be, there are many millionares and that amount of money doesn't go that far, although it does help. I personally would still go to Oz and turn down 1 million, on the other hand 10 million would be a very different thing.

Can't wait to see what your next subject will be Lesley

Hi Lesley. :biglaugh:

I like it. You're really not far from the truth.:goofy: But seriously Lesley I often think long and hard about what I am going to post, (some would say otherwise). I must admit that I like to know how people think, (some would call it nosey). And sometimes I wished I hadn't asked. But it does fascinate me.

And for my next subject..................................... too late, back to the 'accommodation'.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Now where is my plastic knife and fork, and crayons?

Guest guest37336
I LIKE IT YOU LOONEY KEEP IT COMING, YOUR POOR WIFE:yes: LESLEY

Lesley, I'm not having that.:goofy: Nurse, undo these straps immediately.:biglaugh:

Archived