Has anyone else gone back with little/no notice?

mrcatania

By now many of you may have read some of my posts and come to the conclusion that I am indeed a winging pom who would rather, for many reasons, no longer be down here!

My question - Has anyone out there returned with little or no notice? (I don't want to stirr things up like deaths in the family etc) I have been applying for jobs in London for the last month in hope that somone will give me the time of day over a phone interview. I had one the other night for an old company I used to work for and I said that I can start as soon as I can get a flight. A positive over any other candidate needing a months notice. Nothing is booked yet and it is quite scary to think I am here one minute...but could be back in the UK in a weeks time. Not as scary as the thought of the future here though. Flights are available for around $1100 within the next 10 days.

I am living and working with family and so have no notice to give this end, although it would be a shock to family when I say I could be off asap. They do know how I feel though.

I had shipped a couple of boxes over which have sadly remained unopened. I have already got a quote to send them back.

I have friends in London with a spare room I can rent to get things started prior to hopefully buying. GBP260k now gets more in London than it will in Melbourne. All in all I feel I can just 'get up and go'.

Sadly, this dream for me never happened and it is a gutwrenching experience to admit defeat.... however I am just kidding myself, the move back is inevitable and can't be put off for much longer.:arghh:

Hi mrcatania

Good luck with the move back. I wouldn't say it's admitting defeat moving back to the UK. You gave Oz a a try and decided it wasn't for you. Better to have tried it, than to be sat there in a few years time, when maybe the chance to emigrate had gone, forever wondering what might have been.

Guest chris955

Good for you.

One thing I will say is you are NOT a whinging Pom because this country isn't for you.

Good luck.

Good luck, it certainly sounds like you have an opportunity not to be missed there, so dont miss it.

I've always been one for taking the chances when they come along - my move to Australia was done within 6 weeks originally so I think going to London within days would be really exciting.

Guest siamsusie
By now many of you may have read some of my posts and come to the conclusion that I am indeed a winging pom who would rather, for many reasons, no longer be down here!

My question - Has anyone out there returned with little or no notice? (I don't want to stirr things up like deaths in the family etc) I have been applying for jobs in London for the last month in hope that somone will give me the time of day over a phone interview. I had one the other night for an old company I used to work for and I said that I can start as soon as I can get a flight. A positive over any other candidate needing a months notice. Nothing is booked yet and it is quite scary to think I am here one minute...but could be back in the UK in a weeks time. Not as scary as the thought of the future here though. Flights are available for around $1100 within the next 10 days.

I am living and working with family and so have no notice to give this end, although it would be a shock to family when I say I could be off asap. They do know how I feel though.

I had shipped a couple of boxes over which have sadly remained unopened. I have already got a quote to send them back.

I have friends in London with a spare room I can rent to get things started prior to hopefully buying. GBP260k now gets more in London than it will in Melbourne. All in all I feel I can just 'get up and go'.

Sadly, this dream for me never happened and it is a gutwrenching experience to admit defeat.... however I am just kidding myself, the move back is inevitable and can't be put off for much longer.:arghh:

Mr Cat, have a safe flight home. London is an amazing place. May all avenues open upto for you. very best wishes Susie

Guest Guest37175

I sympathise mate. Would go home in a heartbeat if the missus would agree. I came over as part of a relationship contract - 2 years in Oz - have done my time and am counting the days. Nothing wrong with the place, just not my home. Sounds like you're in a good spot financially though. I think you can tell pretty sharpish when a place isn't for you so don't worry about how long you've been here.

All the best

I sympathise mate. Would go home in a heartbeat if the missus would agree. I came over as part of a relationship contract - 2 years in Oz - have done my time and am counting the days. Nothing wrong with the place, just not my home. Sounds like you're in a good spot financially though. I think you can tell pretty sharpish when a place isn't for you so don't worry about how long you've been here.

All the best

After 5 days being here the penny dropped and I just sat in tears wondering what I had done, what I had given up etc etc, some say give it more time, but I have never snapped out of it. Not one day has gone by in the past 8 months where I have not regretted to some degree moving here. Surely that is a sign that this is not going to work, no matter how long? The average 'go' seems to be 2 years, well, I can't keep this up for another 16 months, and what if I still felt the same at the end? A complete waste of 2 years. I would rather try and bounce back now to familiarity, a normal routine, friends etc and write this experience off now before I really do get in too deep.

Yup, did the crime...now doing the time.

Guest I.C.F.

I have just had a friend leave after giving it a 'go' for nearly 3 years - loved it here but there just isn't the work around. He was offered his old job back in UK and the whole family sold cars etc and were gone in 10 days. Different situation to yours but reality kicks in when there is no work out there - you can't live on the sunshine!! good luck with whatever you choose.

Mr MrCantania,

If I was in your shoes...I would upsticks and just get the hell out of here. Myself, dh, and 2 young boys are really hoping to leave soon... my DH works for an international compamy and the day the say will transfer him will be such a reife cos then we can just go......PLease Mr Cantania...dont stay around please just go:hug:

Guest Count Zero

We left six weeks after deciding that the work situation was too dodgy to risk staying. It s pretty easy just book your flights and arrange a container. Its not the big deal that it sometimes seems, making the decision is the hard bit.

I have returned home on Saturday with my 4 children and i didn't really tell anyone because it all happened that quickly and also i didn't want the fuss, as i remember crying my eyes out for the last two days that we left England so i didn't want the kids to see me upset all over again.

I'm one of those people when i make a decision it has to be done there and then, i kept on looking on the internet for flights back to Manchester and noticed Singapore had nothing left, and emirates were mega expensive so i just popped to the flight centre and booked my tickets there and then.

I wanted my children to get back into the uk education system before the Easter holidays and so far i have acheived this with 2 of them and hopefully i will know on wednesday about my eldest son.

Tania x

I have returned home on Saturday with my 4 children and i didn't really tell anyone because it all happened that quickly and also i didn't want the fuss, as i remember crying my eyes out for the last two days that we left England so i didn't want the kids to see me upset all over again.

I'm one of those people when i make a decision it has to be done there and then, i kept on looking on the internet for flights back to Manchester and noticed Singapore had nothing left, and emirates were mega expensive so i just popped to the flight centre and booked my tickets there and then.

I wanted my children to get back into the uk education system before the Easter holidays and so far i have acheived this with 2 of them and hopefully i will know on wednesday about my eldest son.

Tania x

Hi Tania,

I have read alot of your posts since you arrived in Oz, I sdincerly hope everything works out for you and your family now that you are back in the UK...please keep us updated on how things are working for you. We are hoping to return ourselves sometime soon and I always interested to hear peoples opionions (good and bad) on how it has worked out for them.

Take Care:hug:

Sometimes the timing just isn't right, but remember nothing is permanent just do what's right for you now, house prices here compared to home are what puts us off from staying longterm, just remember though that although the house prices look good the mortgages are hard to come by & more expensive than they should be. & you never know you may decide in 5 years time that you want to come back, but that's no biggy, just do what feels right for you now.

Archived