Australian Citizenship Test Bill 2007

ptlabs

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Peter

Thank you for this. I hadn't realised that they would need a separate Act in order to bring in the test.

I know that this proposed Test is slammed by many as being likely to cause more division than cohesion. However, it does sound as if no end of swot-up data is likely to be published, making it reasonably easy to pass as long as one speask reasonably good English and has a reasonable memory for the matrial? Or is it too soon to say?

By the way, all, for those like me, worrying about elderly Parents, Peter confirmed some time ago that the plan is that people of 60 or over will be exempt from the Test. Hopefully the Bill still reflects this idea.

I have to get ready for work so I haven't time to read the Bill now but will try to do so this evening or at the weekend.

Cheers

Gill

:unsure:From clicking on the links and reading the necessary rules that go with applying - dose this mean that a family of say mum dad and 2 children who apply for citizenship it will only be awarded to mum & dad if the kids are under 18 at the time, that dosent make sense - how could you have a family who the parents have been granted citizenship but the kids not ???

p.s. please ignore my post if i have got it wrong but thats how i see that it reads !!!!

That's a really interesting question Gizmo...I'm guessing that someone clever like Gill will work it out!:notworthy: Until then I know (am pretty sure!) that at present children are given citizenship at the same time as their parents. They don't have to answer the basic 'rights and privileges' thing, but get their certificate of citizenship when their parents become citizens. If that makes any sense.

LC

Guest Abi&Dan

Back in the day... I automatically got citizenship on my dad's certificate as I was about 7 but my 2 sisters, who were 18 and 20 at the time, had to get their own.

I've since wrote off and got me very own certificate (and very special it is too :yes:)

Though it was 19 years ago I shouldn't think it's changed x

Archived