Back from Oz

Guest Gags

Guest JoanneHattersley
I want to know too!! I'm heading to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area and specifically going there to have a different lifestyle, near the sea with plenty of outdoor activities etc. etc. it maybe does depend on where people settle/quality of life they experience. I have researched and researched again and again where I want to go and have found a place that will cater to all mine and my families needs, Gags obviously didnt and just had a bad experience and chose the wrong place to live.

:cute:

BRISBANE is bloody great mate!

I took the hugest gamble. OH and me had NEVER been here. We wanted to get out in the world and have an adventure. OH kids are 19 and in UK. We looked at pros and cons of USA V AUSTRALIA. Australia won!

We too the gamble , came here and said we would give it two years whatever! After 2 weeks I was sold! We cane straight out adn went straight to work too. I was working the day after I landed!!!

Australias good, Brisbanes great! :spinny:

:jiggy:

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian, I really feel for you with your kids, rather than think "how could you" I felt very sad that your ex would describe you as a friend rather than dad to your children.. Working in mental health I've come across quite a few men effected by CSA and the injustices of that system.

I't great to hear that some of your wifes concerns are starting to become smaller, I remember you telling me that you weren't sure where you would end up living.

Good luck

Ali

Guest IanL
Ian, I really feel for you with your kids, rather than think "how could you" I felt very sad that your ex would describe you as a friend rather than dad to your children.. Working in mental health I've come across quite a few men effected by CSA and the injustices of that system.

I't great to hear that some of your wifes concerns are starting to become smaller, I remember you telling me that you weren't sure where you would end up living.

Good luck

Ali

Thanks Ali. I've seen some pretty amazing sites (including narrowly escaping a car bomb in Bogata) and finished some very gruelling endurance events. But by far the biggest achievement 'll ever do in my life was coming out of that lot 'relatively' unscathed:)

As for my wife's issues, in no particular order:

Lack of different cultures (I know that'll make some of you laugh) . When you think about, take Indian and Pakastani people out of the equation and outside of London, England is still very anglo, especially when compared to Sydney. This was not an issue per se, but she really missed being able to drive for 15 mins and get her 'own' groceries. (we know there is a Korean comm in New Malden).

Cold, we arrived in Feb 06, but she'd been there before in summer so she did know how it can be. I think the fact that she trapped a nerve in her neck literally the day we got off the plane, then had an eye infection didn't help. (doctors were great btw)

Distance study. She was unsure how she'd cope changing from attending classes at Uni to doing distance study via Charles Sturt Uni at Bathurst (they have exam ctrs in the UK).

High cost of rent vs a mortgage payment. Got to admit this one struck me as well. I was offered a good paying job in Aldershot (working for CSC) and we could not find a one bed flat (that you'd want to live in) for less than 650 quid pcm, plus council tax etc.

The fact that a mortgage would have been hard to get with her on a 2 yr spouse visa. Would've been ok after of course when she had ILR (residency) but 2yrs renting in the UK realy is dead money (as opposed to here where viable investing can make renting worthwhile).

Living with my parents. Not really a problem but different to being on hols. I think this added to her sense of 'temporaryness' ie, not her family, not her house, not her country etc etc.

Think that's about it. We've worked through everything else (she actually found she liked distance studying) but the mortgage thing is a big issue. With our deposit I could probably qualify for a mortgage on my own, but again that's hardly gonna make her feel settled is it.

We'll see. She does really like Eng, but says to get the picture postcard life you need a lot of money. But then again, where isn't that true?

IanL

I would also like to say good luck when you get back to the UK and please keep us posted.

I am hoping to get over to oz next year and really don't know how I will settle.

I think I will be able to cope with things not being as I have imagined although I am not going over totally blind and I have been for a couple of hols and enjoyed it, what I am dreading most and what I know will affect me the most is missing my parents, if I can cope with that then hopefully everthing else will be a doddle.

My husbands parents lived over there for about 10 years and cannot understand why we want to go as I don't think their experience was brilliant(mainly his mother) but we have to find out for ourselves and see what our lives will be like, afterall we are not them, we're us.

Wendy

Guest Gags

Woah, I wasn't expecting so many responses. I think i've started a bit of a debate going!!!

Sorry I haven't replied to people, I'm a very busy man at the moment.

Anyway, just a few answers to some questions that I saw coming up several times:

1) My girlfirend did come back to the UK with me (although she moved over 2 months after I did so that I could sort a job and find somewhere to live and she needed to arrange her Visa). She misses her friends and family in Oz, and the weather, and Prahran market and Milo chocolate powder, but that's about it. She wants to go back to Oz when we have kids because she would have the support network of her mum, aunts etc. She is happy here in Britain and definately thinks we have a more interesting lifestyle than we did in Oz. Before she was 20, she had only been out of Australia once, despite being from quite an affluent family. Now we can go on several international trips a year!

2) The reason I have posted on this site is just because I am fed up of people in general who haven't been to Australia moaning about life in England and how they'd want to live down there. A friend who was thinking of emigrating told me about this website and I thought I'd put my experiences out there.

3) Yes I did get an awful lot out of the experience and yes I would do it allover again, despite being glad to move home. Living abroad (in any country) is one of the best experiences you can get in life, it opens your mind to other cultures and certainly makes you appreciate things back home.

4) I currently rent property but hope to buy in the near future, hoping prices are plateuing and rates will fall early 2008. Yes property prices are very high in England but, unless you live in the Southeast, they are very similar in Oz now. I'd be looking at spending £150-£160k in UK, equivalent property in Oz in a nice location (not out in the bush) would cost $400-$450K i.e. the same, with slightly higher interest rates in Oz. My friendship groups in Oz and UK are virtually same in terms of class, age and education level. Of these very similar numbers of each (approx a third) are on property ladder in each. Its not necessarily any easier to get on the ladder there.

4) I had several jobs there as I was originally there on a working holiday visa which means you are forced to change jobs every 3 months. I therefore worked on short-term contracts for the first year. I then got a permanent visa and a permanent job but was the victim of a corporate restructure (yes they get them too!), so was forced to find another job. This really didn't open the doors it was supposed to. In order to progress my career there I would have had to go back to uni for another 2 years so I was forced to move home.

5) Yes I am a Guardian reader. Although not a tree-hugger!

I'm not trying to dissuade people from going to Australia. Just go there with open eyes. If you are leaving Britain to get away from anti-social behavoiur, traffic and economic migrants, you will probably be disappointed as these problems all exist in Oz, along with lots of others. There might not be Chavs, but there are bogans. There might not be as much litter, but there is more graffiti. Less Eastern Europeans, but more Lebanese mafioso types. England is by no means perfect, but neither is Oz. I suppose its all a matter of taste and what stage in life you are. I'm happy at the moment and that's all that matters.

interesting to see you will be moving back to oz when you have had kids,most people on here already have them and want to give them a better childhood than the uk can offer,get the children citizenship,when they are older they can come and go as they please.

Guest kdal
Woah, I wasn't expecting so many responses. I think i've started a bit of a debate going!!!

4) I had several jobs there as I was originally there on a working holiday visa which means you are forced to change jobs every 3 months. I therefore worked on short-term contracts for the first year. I then got a permanent visa and a permanent job but was the victim of a corporate restructure (yes they get them too!), so was forced to find another job. This really didn't open the doors it was supposed to. In order to progress my career there I would have had to go back to uni for another 2 years so I was forced to move home.

Hi Gags

Glad you have replied as your second post makes alot more sense and without the bitterness, behind it that your first post had.

I think in your first post you had put that you wanted to come home (to the UK), this post states that to further your career your were forced to come back here.

We can probably understand by your second post why you felt so miserable about Australia and that maybe you didn't think we were all so stupid after all!! But that you was having a bad day!!!!!!!!! (I hope)

Gd luck whatever you do

Regards

• 1 month later...
Guest guest7744

Well done! I agree! Thanks for standing up against the norm here! You absolutely spot-on & that's why we're coming back to Uk in 3mths! Aus is very backwards(like UK 15yrs ago), there is no opportunity, they're racist, there really is nothing here but toursit destinations! Thanks for being honest, & I wish there were people like you on here before we migrated, we would never have left.

Guest kdal
Well done! I agree! Thanks for standing up against the norm here! You absolutely spot-on & that's why we're coming back to Uk in 3mths! Aus is very backwards(like UK 15yrs ago), there is no opportunity, they're racist, there really is nothing here but toursit destinations! Thanks for being honest, & I wish there were people like you on here before we migrated, we would never have left.

Hi Nemoinky, Sorry to read your post and that things haven't worked out for you.

We are in the process of migrating next year, can you please advise why you feel there is no opportunity as thats is the reason we were going to Oz, we felt it was still a country that had room for growth and opportunities! Why do you think the Australians are racist? Did you visit Australia before you choose to live there not that the question maybe relevant but just interested to know.

Any insight you can give us would be a great help

Thank you and regards

Hi Nemoinky,

Like Kdal I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you. I've worked with a few people here that have returned to the UK within a short space of time (even in the 6 months we've been here), underlying that has seemed to be that one of them didn't really want to come.

Would Gags post really have put you off coming to oz? I think you would have still come and still probably reached the decision you have now because I think everyone has to see that for themselves.

Ali

Guest Dave53
interesting to see you will be moving back to oz when you have had kids,most people on here already have them and want to give them a better childhood than the uk can offer,get the children citizenship,when they are older they can come and go as they please.

A good point regarding citizenship . We fall into this category having been in Australia a few years now . Regarding a better childhood , this was our main driver for emigrating in the first place . I have to say however ,that I'm not so sure now . Is taking your children away from loving family and friends conductive to a better childhood ?? . I think not . All the sun and space can't replace the support and love that their family gave . I think my son Matthew summed it up , when some time ago we were walking across the beach and I said how great it was to be able to do this , he said , " yes it is , but we don't have any family with us now " . Look down the track a few years and not just tomorrow , I wish we had !!

Guest limeychick

I think you just have to accept it's horses for courses, we all have different expectations and have different experiences. What may suit you now may not suit you 10 years down the line and when bad stuff happens it's not always the country that's the problem but the experience that we want to get away from and forget.

I had no expectations because it has never been a dream for me and I had never really given it much thought, it was merely an opportunity which I grabbed because I wanted to try living in an another country.

I have been here 7 weeks ( I know I should wait until I've been here 7 years then I can really give my opinion!:unsure:) and it has already been a great eye opener, already I see that the ideals that a lot of people talk about aren't all true (in my opinion), people are people wherever you go and you have to take the rough with the smooth. You just have to decide what works best for you.

I have come to realise Australia isn't something that happens to you, the life here still requires participation and effort (you only get out what you put in). Anyone who is expecting to get here and have a ready made social life, all play and little work, money that never runs out because everything is so cheap, no crime...etc will be disappointed (I only say this because these are the myths I had heard).

However, I have found in my limited experience that Australians (in Melbourne anyway) are really helpful and are friendly, strangers actually stop to chat to each other in public places and no they are not mad or drunk. When I look confused in the street people offer me help, when I run for the tram the driver actually waits for me, market food is lovely and fresh and is good value for money, family life is well supported, people talk to kids like adults, disabilities seem to be more accepted, there is a relaxed atmosphere, a general sense of better well being, a more positive attitude, less country bashing (it’s reserved for England:)) and pedestal toppling.

They are still obsessed with no talent celebrities, big brother is just as big here as it is in the UK, crime does exist, you do have to lock your doors at night, graffiti is rife, so is litter in some of the outer suburbs. Immigration is a big topic, and they are still learning to deal with their mistakes regarding indigenous communities and race issues. Work and play isn’t always mixed, clothes and shoes are more expensive relative to salaries, tax is higher but services work and seem efficient. The service industry by our standards is slow but they don’t have a big tipping culture and no one is in a rush - but this is a good thing we live life so fast in the UK blink and you miss it!

I have yet to meet some one in a uniform that hasn’t spoken to me with a smile and been very helpful. They like the Royals and even have a bank holiday for the Queen’s birthday. Free television is poor and books (even standard paperbacks) seem to be twice as expensive. There is no Amazon (the website not the jungle!) and somethings are a little old fashioned. The medical system is convoluted and they have more than their fair share of red tape although it seems to be efficient if you follow protocol.

I have a lot more to find out I have only had limited exposure but so far but it doesn’t feel as different as I had probably anticipated and I don’t mind because I feel comfortable and don’t feel like I an outsider. When visiting the US I have always felt conspicuous and got really sick of people behind the till screwing their face up at my accent and saying ‘ya want whaaaat?’! I don't get that here at all.

So all in all this isn't the answer to all my prayers and will I ever move back to England possibly, probably but who knows when, I'm not thinking about that yet I'm just going to take it a year at a time and see what suits me then.:cute:

Thanks for that post Limey. it was a real pleasure to read.

Nice to see a post that tells it as it is without the usual OZ bashing or UK bashing.

I hope you continue to like your time in OZ or wherever your travels take you in the future.

Debs x x

Guest kaz68

hi gags

enjoyed your posts, and all replys. could you please let me know though when you find a house being the equivalent or similar to any in oz, i e, 4 beds, 3 bathrooms, big garden, anywhere in the uk for £150-60k that you wouldnt mind living in or an area where you wouldnt mind your children growing up in!! coz then we might stay in the uk aswell!

I have read the original post and reply’s with great interest, I think to compare the UK with Oz all depends on where in the UK you are leaving and your personal circumstances and reasons for the move and also where in Oz you move to.

I don’t expect it to be all barbies and beaches but I hope that when I finish my days work I will be able to live a little and enjoy my family and also not have to tell my two boys ….”No you can’t play out its still throwing it down” :sad:for the majority of the year like I do at the moment.

I personally look forward to a slower pace of life and am sick of feeling I am on a treadmill going flat out, yet not moving.

In a lot of ways I love the UK and have been looking at Oz for a couple of years but putting it off thinking things would improve in the UK, unfortunately they just seem to either stay the same or get steadily worse and so enough is enough.

I am from the North West and jobs and prospects here are on a downward spiral, a good friend of ours has just qualified as a nurse along with 42 others at that Uni….only 11 have managed to secure jobs and yet all the nurses you talk to say how short staffed the hospitals are…..mad.:wacko:.All down to money I suppose.

I was told by somebody who has been over in Oz for 14 years and loves it “you have to earn a wage….why not do it with the sun on your back for a change” sounds good to me…..I’m out in August for 3 weeks and can’t wait to go for good.

Good Luck……Pat

Guest Loual

I have now read the entire thread and I cant believe how some people get so upset just because someone posts something "negative" about Australia. I for one, certainly dont want to just hear about all the positive experiences in Aus. I left the UK 3 years ago now to live in Bermuda and all I heard was positive stuff before I arrived. I could not get anyone to say anything at all "negative" about Bermuda. But in hindsight it would of been good to have been aware of some of the negatives before I arrived so that I was aware and prepared. Yes there are negative points to living in paradise too and hearing negative aspects would not have stopped me going to Bermuda it would just have made me more reaslistic. I have however, had a great time here in Bermuda and am due to move to Sydney at the end of this year and this time I want to be more prepared. Everyone knows that there will be negative aspects but its good to have an idea of what they might be. So keep all experiences coming I want to hear about everything. I dont care how its posted, whether Gags sounds like he is speaking for all or not, I am interested in his experience. We all make our own decisions.

Hi everybody first time posting but not despondant,we are flying to brisbane 7th august,cant wait.Have had lots of laughs reading this thread,gags is obviously a very pleasent chap,hell id like to invite him/her to my leaving "do" . Unfortunately he will not appreciate my downright lowlife daily mail views therefore i will retract the invitation.Only kidding you are always welcome to talk. Kidding aside,me the missus n little Harry(4) will be in brisbane 8th august,still hopefull!

Guest Abi&Dan
Free television is poor and books (even standard paperbacks) seem to be twice as expensive. There is no Amazon (the website not the jungle!) and somethings are a little old fashioned. .

Amazon.com: Help > Shipping > Shipping Rates > International Shipping Rates > Australia

Hiya love - no idea what it does to the prices but you can order off US Amazon and get delivered to Oz (the addtional postaage doesn't look too bad).

If you try it, let us know whether it's any good - I'm coming to melbourne in 18 months and am a biiiiig reader - bit gutted to hear about the cost of books (they're blummin' expensive enough in the UK!!) - so if Amazon works I'll use it!! :cute:

Guest limeychick

thanks for the tip - haven't given it a go yet but probably will, I'll let you know how it goes. I've just been given another tip apparantly the Salvo's are great for getting second hand books so don't fear there may well be a solution yet. Ill keep you posted.

Guest limeychick
I have read the original post and reply’s with great interest, I think to compare the UK with Oz all depends on where in the UK you are leaving and your personal circumstances and reasons for the move and also where in Oz you move to.

I don’t expect it to be all barbies and beaches but I hope that when I finish my days work I will be able to live a little and enjoy my family and also not have to tell my two boys ….”No you can’t play out its still throwing it down” :sad:for the majority of the year like I do at the moment.

I personally look forward to a slower pace of life and am sick of feeling I am on a treadmill going flat out, yet not moving.

In a lot of ways I love the UK and have been looking at Oz for a couple of years but putting it off thinking things would improve in the UK, unfortunately they just seem to either stay the same or get steadily worse and so enough is enough.

I am from the North West and jobs and prospects here are on a downward spiral, a good friend of ours has just qualified as a nurse along with 42 others at that Uni….only 11 have managed to secure jobs and yet all the nurses you talk to say how short staffed the hospitals are…..mad.:wacko:.All down to money I suppose.

I was told by somebody who has been over in Oz for 14 years and loves it “you have to earn a wage….why not do it with the sun on your back for a change” sounds good to me…..I’m out in August for 3 weeks and can’t wait to go for good.

Good Luck……Pat

sounds like you've got a great approach and I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. I love your friends philosophy and I can't wait for the sun to come out so I can experience it for myself - I best get on with the job search as well!

Best of luck and look forward to hearing more about your up coming adventure.

Guest OldiesRUs
thanks for the tip - haven't given it a go yet but probably will, I'll let you know how it goes. I've just been given another tip apparantly the Salvo's are great for getting second hand books so don't fear there may well be a solution yet. Ill keep you posted.

Yes, I was going to suggest the Charity Shops. I haven't bought a brand new book in years - except Harry Potter of course, roll on next week for book7!

Jean

Archived