Back from Oz

Guest Gags

Easy there gags! Just because you didnt like Oz doesnt mean others will not! We are not all the same and after reading your very cutting response i am very glad we are not all the same!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest netware

:spinny: this post has got, to be the best read i've seen in ages....thanks gags and koala!!!

its 1am i'm going to bed!

Guest Koala Konnection
:notworthy: Koala ..... I think your reply was eloquent and covered every aspect of the debate.

If we were all happy with the same things IN the same places what a crowded place that would be!!!

I crave the beautiful open spaces filled with sunshine (and rain!!! ... LOL!) that IS Australia.

OK! ..Europe WONT be 2 hours away ..... but so what, I can live with that!

There is good and bad everywhere, and there are also people who are never satisfied with what they have. Life is what you make it ..... I want to make mine in Oz :)

You're welcome, and so are you too, Traybears and Herbsters. I've only just seen your posts. Very kind of you to say such nice things. I've been to Melbourne to check it out for myself! Very nice place indeed. You can read all about the fun I had in my newsletter.

Ciao,

Paul.

Guest Debbie Brooks

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest... Having spent a lot of my childhood in Australia, then being brought back to England before I was 18 by my parents who need to come home to be with my Mum's dying Father, I couldn't wait for the day I could apply to return to Oz. I know things are very different and I saw everything through 'child eyes' but things over there I believe are much better than over here and I do want my Kids to have a better oportunity than they will have over here.

We are now 22 months in to our application and are at the last stages, and moving from England can't come quick enough.

Debs

Guest JAMIEKERRIE

Totally agree, music to my ears! We've been here 5 wks, struggling to get perm. work but WE WILL, no doubt a safer, generally more pleasant place to live.

NO MORE! This post has had its day!!!

Lets all move on!

NO SORRY i'VE GOT TO CARRY IT ON

I'm hanging on hearin Brissie but I don't think it'll be long before I give up and go back to wet essex. But just because it is looking likley that it will not work for us does not mean it'll not work for any one else. I really believe that if you have that dream you have to find out for your self. I hope when and if we return I'll be at peace with myself for giving it a go. If I never tried I would have always regretted it. My best advice would be is trust your own judgement, and keep having ago at each other

John

PS I don't think Raj was being Racist But Raj you were wrong about it being ablack mans country As pointed out the Abb'os are not indiginos. I do think thay ate all the Dinosours thoe.

I'm sorry gags that your time in OZ wasn't good for you, but I really have to disagree with your comments about this wonderful country that I live in, Australia. I came here 30yrs ago from Wales. I live in a very remote town In Queensland, small population with no clubs, very little shops. I have the best social life, we make our own fun with the nicest people ever. I went back to Wales last year, it was great meeting my family again, very pretty country , I loved it, but you know what? I really looked forward to coming back here. The cost of living was shocking, it seemed that everything that cost a dollr here cost a pound there, the weather was not the best, a lot of my elderly family looked anemic because they never got much sun, also they can't really afford to buy meat.

I am not in any way knocking the country where I was born and no offence to the Welsh people out there, but I am glad my parents decided to move here many years ago and took me with them, I am so proud to be able to live here.

Guest Koala Konnection
I'm sorry gags that your time in OZ wasn't good for you, but I really have to disagree with your comments about this wonderful country that I live in, Australia. I came here 30yrs ago from Wales. I live in a very remote town In Queensland, small population with no clubs, very little shops. I have the best social life, we make our own fun with the nicest people ever. I went back to Wales last year, it was great meeting my family again, very pretty country , I loved it, but you know what? I really looked forward to coming back here. The cost of living was shocking, it seemed that everything that cost a dollr here cost a pound there, the weather was not the best, a lot of my elderly family looked anemic because they never got much sun, also they can't really afford to buy meat.

I am not in any way knocking the country where I was born and no offence to the Welsh people out there, but I am glad my parents decided to move here many years ago and took me with them, I am so proud to be able to live here.

Some interesting parallels Bevvy. I too left Wales (north country - Mold area) and now live in Queensland. I loved Wales, the pretty village I lived in and had many friends in the area. I call on Wales when they play England at rugby, despite being English by birth - that's how much I felt a part of the place. I may only have been in Australia a few years but I think I love it even more. I'm told we live in rural Australia, but I bet it's not as rural as where you live!

One day I hope to finish building the old camper and set off on a journey of discovery to see the real heart of Australia. This country has so much to offer. It not all about earning a fortune 'til you pop your clogs. Life. You only get one crack at it.

Peace.

Paul.

Bevvy, I totally agree having been exported 40 yrs ago & naturalised.

Wow this thread is movie length, saves watching tv which I agree is crap but not a large part of my life.

At first I was suss, did Gags leave his girl in Wolf Creek?

Why did raj not say black man & WOMANS country?

I havent met anyone young, ambitious & cultured. The ones I know are only young, optimistic ,work, study & play hard. Dont think they care about being cultured.

I notice some concerns on this forum re clothes & restaurants, I dont think these are seen as very important to most Aussies & therefore probably wont be as available as youre used to.

Might be different in Sydney / Melbourne.

Yes there are a few racist idiots in Oz but they are looked on with contempt by the great majority.

One of the great things about Oz is that its so big, there is every possible climate and vastly different areas to try. Should be something for everyone.

I live out in the sticks, lol bush is another name for it. Kangaroos roam the streets !! I reckon no matter where you live you make the best of things, we BBQ all the time, the kids are free to ride their motorbikes in the bush tracks, don't have to worry about people harmimg them and you have a close knit with others that live here. We have just bought a caravan, we camped a lot before and have decided to upgrade, me and my family just love the lifestyle.

No matter where people decide to live it still comes down to yourself and what you do to make things fun.

Guest JoanneHattersley
NO SORRY i'VE GOT TO CARRY IT ON

I'm hanging on hearin Brissie but I don't think it'll be long before I give up and go back to wet essex. But just because it is looking likley that it will not work for us does not mean it'll not work for any one else. I really believe that if you have that dream you have to find out for your self. I hope when and if we return I'll be at peace with myself for giving it a go. If I never tried I would have always regretted it. My best advice would be is trust your own judgement, and keep having ago at each other

John

PS I don't think Raj was being Racist But Raj you were wrong about it being ablack mans country As pointed out the Abb'os are not indiginos. I do think thay ate all the Dinosours thoe.

Well put john - such a shame that you are debating going back but like you said you can always say "i did try it"

Before we came to Oz, my OH was always on the internet looking at everything. I wasnt worried. I didnt want to see anything, hear anything or look at anything. My theory was if I had NO expectations then I had nothing to be dissapointed about!!! Mad I know!

We came here, bought a car the first day, started work the next and never looked back. Sure, we miss people. I have cousins that have left school, grown up, a Nan that died while I was here and a brother I miss (more than I`d dare to tell him!!!!!).

Thankfully for us life all fell in right. Everything was right at the right time and we grabbed it with both hands. We have been here 3 years next february and are very happy.

Like u say, what works for some..........

Good luck john with whatever you do

• 3 weeks later...
Guest melbourne07

Hi Gags

Hmmm ... yes you make some good points about australia and there are certainly downsides however I have to wonder whether a long rant about how crap it can be is all that helpful to other members looking to move? Clearly you have had a bad time of it and are relieved to be back in england - nothing wrong with that.

As we all know england has more than its fair share of bad points but it surely comes down completely to the type of person you are, how you like to live and what you hold dear in life as to whether you can endure the worst parts of australian life and not let them ruin the whole experience of living there?

Although you are entitled to your own opinion, i do think its a bit of a shame to 'rain on people's parade' too much before they've had a chance to experience it themselves.

PS. One member commented it would be good to hear from people who have been resident in australia for a while - I lived in melbourne for 3 years, then came back to england for 5 years as i fell in love with an english lad and we are now moving back to melbourne permanently in november so am happy to try and answer any questions people may have.

Guest melbourne07

Just an observation for everyone who joined in this thread ...

We all responded to a long message originally from 'Gags' and reading through some of the subsequent replies I find it interesting that the only other post from Gags in this whole 11 page thread was calling someone 'a daily mail reading redneck racist'!

Isn't it amazing that someone can start something designed to incite reaction, anger and negativity in others and then back out completely dodging any responsibility for their own actions?

I feel a bit ashamed that I gave Gags the satisfaction. Oh well, you live and learn ...

Peace to all and long live Australia with all her faults and wonderful qualities!!!

Guest mutikonka

I agree with a lot of what you say Gags - it's important to come to Australia with your eyes open and without any illusions that this is some kind of sunny paradise. On my last trip back to Leeds I met a lot of people who got kind of starry eyed and wistful when I mentioned I was living down under. They complained about everything being terrible in Britain (when I saw so much that I admired) - I'm sure they'd complain just as much in Australia.

You're also right about life here being potentially just as mundane as in the UK. But I certainly prefer my daily 40 minute commute on a Cityrail train to the same journey on an overcrowded, expensive and unreliable Leeds bus!

I don't agree with what you said about the standard of living. I can do a lot more here than I could ever do in Leeds. I can afford to go out and eat in decent restaurants, I can take my kids out to Luna Park or the movies without getting a second mortgage etc etc. How much does a [bad] coffee cost in Cafe Nero or the Corn Exchange? About the same in pounds as it does in dollars for the wonderful coffee at Bar Italia here in Leichardt.

You are right about there being more happening in British cities - the one thing I did notice being back in Leeds was that everyone seemed to be in a hurry and had no time to sit back and enjoy life. And a lot of older people seemed to have a slightly nervous look in their eyes, as if some chavs were about to grab their bag. The other two main things I noticed about Leeds were the litter and the parochial attitudes. When I got back to Australia and they asked me what the UK was like I told my workmates that I never realised that Little Britain was a documentary as well as a comedy programme.

It all boils down to what you want out of life and what kind of lifestyle you want. Australia can be a bit isolated for some people - that's why so many young Aussies head overseas for extended periods. But you notice that so many Australians, even the mega rich like Rupert Murdoch's kids, come back here when they want to raise a family. I may well be rubbing shoulders with them this long weekend when I take my kids down to Bronte beach - that's the other good thing about Australia - it's still a relatively egalitarian society and "Jack is as good as his master".

My advice to anyone else would be to come out here and try working here for a year - if the pluses outweigh the minuses then you'll know if you want to stay or not.

Guest kinglouis

Hi,

Just been reading this thread, we are off to Melbourne in November and are thinking of heading to Seaford/ mornington way I am a Plumber Mostley solar work and my OH is a primary school teacher, If you have any advise as to where to head we would love to hear from you guys, Im sure there are areas that are not so great but hey we have those here in most towns and cities in the UK

Sean & Caz

Guest melbourne07

Hi Sean & Caz ...

Today 08:37 PMkinglouisHi,

Just been reading this thread, we are off to Melbourne in November and are thinking of heading to Seaford/ mornington way I am a Plumber Mostley solar work and my OH is a primary school teacher, If you have any advise as to where to head we would love to hear from you guys, Im sure there are areas that are not so great but hey we have those here in most towns and cities in the UK

Sean & Caz

It sounds like you'd prefer to be a bit out of the centre of melbourne, Mornington is roughly an hour drive out of the city and is a stunning area and popular in summer with young families - not sure about Seaford because I haven't been there ...

I have seen on this forum that Frankston/Dandenong might be a little rough round the edges but again can't comment personally.

I know the inner suburbs much better so if you need any thoughts on that let me know and best of luck with the move!:smile:

Guest kinglouis

Hi,

We are not sure where to head for but would not be a problem being near to central Melbourne just thought it would be more exspensive to be more central? we dont have kids yet but think OH has other plans so maybe further out would be better, we have checked out a lot of threads on this site and it has been very helpful, but people like your self who have been to other suburbs is always handy to be able to ask for your opinion. thanks for the reply

Sean & Caz

Guest melbourne07

No problem, I think you can't ask enough questions when it comes to a big move, i know i did!

Hi,

We are not sure where to head for but would not be a problem being near to central Melbourne just thought it would be more exspensive to be more central? we dont have kids yet but think OH has other plans so maybe further out would be better, we have checked out a lot of threads on this site and it has been very helpful, but people like your self who have been to other suburbs is always handy to be able to ask for your opinion. thanks for the reply

Sean & Caz

You are right that the more central you go, the more expensive it is. A really good site to look at/compare house prices in melbourne is realestate.com.au - they also do rentals.

Again it comes down to what you are looking for ideally. Its generally considered that the western suburbs of melbourne are cheaper but also a bit more dog-earred: Footscray used to be pretty rough years ago but has undergone some regeneration however its still not as nice as the eastern suburbs but it is very central. If you have a look at a map of melbourne - try maps.google.co.uk and then zoom out that gives you a good idea of where the suburbs are and which are east and west.

As for kids, there's lots of inner suburbs that are great - Elwood and Brighton are both by the sea but are considered quite posh and fairly expensive with St. Kilda probably the priciest. Coburg north of the city is a really nice residential area, as is Northcote. Slightly further out are places like Pascoe Vale or Heidelberg and if you look on the train line you can guage how far they are from the city (or CBD as they sometimes call it: the central business district) - go to metlinkmelbourne.com.au, then look under Maps Stations Stops for a map of train, tram and bus routes.

Places like Nunawading to the east and Caroline Springs to the west are really far out and to be honest not the greatest areas - more like large estates with very little recreational facilities or links to public transport. The comedy show Kath & Kim do a good parody of this type of living although i don't know if the residents would agree!!!

You're on the right lines if you want to be further out but not too far with Mornington, although as its beautiful it will be pricier than other areas of the same distance.

Once you get arrive go into lots of estate agents armed with plenty of evidence of renting/mortgage from UK, plus bills and ID, that will get you round the problem of not having a job yet or having rented/bought previously in melbourne.

Try not to worry too much - there's only so much can be done from the uk and you can have a good explore when you arrive. We are having our first baby in march and we're not worried about being further out for the kids because melbourne is so accessible and mornington's only an hour from the centre anyway!

GOOD LUCK!! :)

Guest kinglouis

Hey thanks for the info very helpful indeed, We will look at the maps and ear mark some of the inner areas as well as the outer ones for when we arrive thanks again for you advise.

Sean & Caz

Guest melbourne07

No problem at all, hope you find somewhere you like. best of luck with it all.:)

Hey thanks for the info very helpful indeed, We will look at the maps and ear mark some of the inner areas as well as the outer ones for when we arrive thanks again for you advise.

Sean & Caz

Archived