Back from Oz

Guest Gags

Ali ask me who Willy is

John, You are funny your like a big kid

Come on can I ask Who Is Willy ?????

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ... I give in... Whose Willy (do I really need to know this???) I think not ... but hey... in for a penny (or cent as I live in Aus)

Ali

Oh I saw your post after I'd posted this reply .... very funny lol

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Before this thread takes a turn for the worse, or should that be any worse:smile:

Willy Eckaslike should be read as Will He Heck As Like. John is having a joke here.

I'm just pulling a bit on the reins on this one now before the thread descends into misundertood and unwanted sexual innuendo or starts to get nasty and we have people taking further offence.

I thank you for your support in keeping our threads clean and on topic.

willy eckaslike thats funny that. do u think he nose ivor biggan ?

I can't help my self

I've got my shovel out just starting to dig.

I know I shoudnt,

but go on then who is Ivor Biggan?

Be gentle.

Before this thread takes a turn for the worse, or should that be any worse:smile:

Willy Eckaslike should be read as Will He Heck As Like. John is having a joke here.

I'm just pulling a bit on the reins on this one now before the thread descends into misundertood and unwanted sexual innuendo or starts to get nasty and we have people taking further offence.

I thank you for your support in keeping our threads clean and on topic.

Armchair

You've lost contral

this thread has nose dived and is. spirraling out of contral.

Leave it with me I'm thinking of a rescue plan.

"Ok John think of somthing funny" (I'm thinking allowed")

???????????????????????????????????

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hello Kitty

"The music scene is awful. The food is strictly Greek/Italian or Viet/Thai. Nobody has heard of Tapas. Curries are almost impossible to find. And French food might as well not exist".

I had to come on here and dispute this point made by Gags. I know it is not and important issue but it is just plain wrong. There is cuisine from every part of the world here: Italian, Greek, Vietnmaese and Thai but also Indian, Sri Lankan, Japanese, Turkish, Spanish, Jewish etc. etc. I could go on and on.

Curries impossible to find - I think not. I live in the suburbs of Melbourne and within a 5 kilometre radius there are four indian restaurants. Not as many as London but plenty of Indian restaurants around.

Nobody has heard of Tapas - excuse me but tapas has been around in Melbourne for over 10 years. I was eating tapas in restaurants here well over 10 years ago and it might not be Barcelona but it is definately around.

As for the music scene being awful - well every Friday there is a lift out in The Age newspaper which has pages of what's on re. music and there is something for everyone. The Melbourne Jazz Festival is on right now and there is real live music scene. I suppose it depends what you are into.

Gags also said something about people urinating in the stairwell of his apartment. He must have been living somewhere pretty dodgy and public urination is definately something that is not acceptable here. It is much more common in Europe - Paris etc. where you often see men urinating in public. I have never seen anyone urinating in public in Melbourne.

Gag said there is massive problems of drug abuse (especially Crystal Meth and Heroin) - highly exaggerated I think. Heroin use has actually decreased dramatically over the past few years. No worse that the U.K.

Gags seems to have lived the lifestyle of a single, young Guy living in a flat in perhaps a not so nice area. The average family coming to Melbourne living in a decent area would not experience what he is talking about. Yes, there is grafitti and it is a problem but I feel safe in my area and most areas of Melbourne. If you are hanging around the city at 3.00 in the morning on a Friday night with all the drunks then of course you will see a different side of the place just like most other places in the world. I take my kids to the city often and we have never run into any trouble. Of course every large city has it's problems and Melbourne is no exception.

I don't think people should present their somewhat blinkered observations as facts as they are one persons opinion and one persons experience. People make generalised statements about Australia based on their experience in a new estate on the Gold Coast or a suburb in an isolated city like Perth when their experience might have been totallly different had they lived somewhere else in Australia. Australia is a huge and varied country. The difference between say living in a suburb in inner city Melbourne would be the complete opposite of living in say Cairns or the Gold Coast.

Good luck to all those coming to Australia and especially Melbourne.

Guest Hello Kitty

Hi Nemoinky, Sorry to read your post and that things haven't worked out for you.

We are in the process of migrating next year, can you please advise why you feel there is no opportunity as thats is the reason we were going to Oz, we felt it was still a country that had room for growth and opportunities! Why do you think the Australians are racist? Did you visit Australia before you choose to live there not that the question maybe relevant but just interested to know.

Any insight you can give us would be a great help

Thank you and regards

There is plenty of opportunity in Australia. Depends where you live as to how much. If you live in a small country town of course there is less opportunity than say Sydney or Melbourne. It is a country full of opportunity and if it hasn't worked out for some than it that the fault of the country or just an excuse???

Racist - yes there are racist people like anywhere else in the world but are Australians more racist than people in the U.K. I would say definately not. I can't imagine any of the parents from my kids school for example making a racist comment and I have never heard one. In fact the only racist comments I have heard recently have been from Brits complaining that England is being taken over my immigrants. I do think though that racism is more prevalant in some parts of AUstralia such as Queensland and country areas. Melbourne is a truly multicultural city as is Sydney and by and large people get along harmoniously. Of course there are the occassional issues but racism is frowned upon by the majority of people in my experience living in Melbourne.

Guest bohlesover

Yes you have summed it up very well, and I only wish I had of seen the bigger picture before I came. I certainly had my rose coloured glasses on, and now I can see very clearly after having been here for 2 years, problem is I dont think that I would have taken any message from this BEFORE I came, its only now. Thanks you have voiced what many of us feel, and now its time to return!!

Karen

Yes you have summed it up very well, and I only wish I had of seen the bigger picture before I came. I certainly had my rose coloured glasses on, and now I can see very clearly after having been here for 2 years, problem is I dont think that I would have taken any message from this BEFORE I came, its only now. Thanks you have voiced what many of us feel, and now its time to return!!

Karen

Karen, So you are really going back then ?

I too think gags summed everything up to a T and i wish i had seen this forum before i arrived in Oz, (i have a slight glimmer of hope at the mo- which i may pu a new thread on) so im still on the fence as to go or stay

all the best

gizmo

Guest Aldo

I remember reading his post when it was first posted. I feel a little silly now because of the way i dismissed it all. Oh why did i not take heed....

Guest bohlesover

Well Gizmo,

I have had such an hard ride, so much has happened, and I was so under the impression that nothing could be worse than UK! When in fact its just all the same. We are going for our 1st trip back in 4 weeks time, so it really is a test of have we done the right thing (hubby loves it here!) but I think the lady who was going back after just 8 weeks opened my eyes, and I thought I was so very unhappy (almost breakdown) and why did I stick it for so long?? just because people say you should for 2 years, to adjust etc, so this trip will be the test.

Karen

Guest Aldo
Aldo, Any chance you possibly reading through rose coloured specs ? lol

guilty as charged. :policeman:

Guest Aldo
In fact the only racist comments I have heard recently have been from Brits complaining that England is being taken over my immigrants..

How is that racist?

Archived