Australian Skills Shortage

Richard Gregan

http://www.clarius.com.au/PDF/Clarius%20Skills%20Index_December%202009%20Quarter.pdf

The need for the "top ten" occupations may be of interest for those looking for to make some sense of the recent announcement.

Hi I am a chef and have got TRA passed and WASS and applied for 176 jan 12 2010 do you think that I will be affected or moved cat my hoh is 45 and will be 46 in oct this year getting worried they may say that because of age there is no hope. What do you think

Why is the minister so hung up on the issue of how a tradie such as a hairdresser or a chef finds it easier to get a GSM visa than a scientist, when looking at this list these trade occupations are in much higher demand, science isn't even on the top ten list!! Exactly what I have found in my own research!! Im a life scientist the other half a hairdresser and opportunities for me are few and far between. To me it seems right that a chef should find it easier to obtain a visa than a scientist as opportunities for them are vast! Is this research what the aussie government goes by? Doesn't seem so to me.

Sarah

i'm a Metal Machinist (1st Class) so should be part of the Metal Tradesperson so if i'm in demand why have i not been on the CSL but it could be me not reading it correct..

No you're reading it correctly. It is just that this is a report issued by a private company that works in recruitment etc...and it is the government that is making these decisions on what they think are required skills in Australia! Hopefully, some of the states will make tradespersons welcome. It seems very elitist to me this whole approach to which type of skilled person the Federal goverment thinks should be migrating to Australia.

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

I would be interested to know which states have such a huge shortage of chefs. My OH has TRA granted as 33-2211 chef and we have sponsorship through Qld as on checking websites the majority of jobs for chefs were being advertised there. WA and SA also have chef as a 'most wanted' but from what I can see there are very few jobs going in both these states. From what I can tell the other states do not have chefs as 'most wanted' which tends to suggest to me that they are not lacking workers with this trade so I am a little sceptical as to how chefs can be top of this Clarius list. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places!!

Donna

I didn't read it all the way through and cannot open it again now. However I noticed that chefs had the highest index which is a ratio of number of positions to number of people able to fill them. It was not the highest number of vacancies.

For example suppose I was in a profession where there are only 5 jobs available in the whole of Australia. Well if there were currently 0 out of 5 of those positions filled, then it would have the higest index of all in this table. It doesn't mean it is the most in demand for migration purposes.

http://www.clarius.com.au/PDF/Clarius%20Skills%20Index_December%202009%20Quarter.pdf

The need for the "top ten" occupations may be of interest for those looking for to make some sense of the recent announcement.

Improved sentiment underlies the stronger demand for tradespersons across the board, as businesses strategically

position themselves for a brighter 2010.

Woohoo go tradies!!!

Archived