Guest guest36187

Guest passingtime
Hi there

We have the packers coming on the 31st May ,we went for Crown.

Can anyone tell me if any of you guys have taken a feather bed with you, the label says it has sterile feather in it, also can you take alcohol in the container as we have a couple of bottles we got as wedding presents some 17 yrs ago

Thanks

Wima

Ask this question about alcohol with the customs in Australia and they said as long as we paid the duty alcohol could go in the container sylvia

I would have thought that bottles of alcohol were a fire risk in a storage container.

Watched the 'Poms in Paradise' tv programme earlier and felt that the poms chosen were not very typical.

Hi

Yes We have just watched it also. Did not think much of the couple that sounded like lottery houligans. Rest were ok but bit limited on info on emigrating.

I would have thought that bottles of alcohol were a fire risk in a storage container.

Watched the 'Poms in Paradise' tv programme earlier and felt that the poms chosen were not very typical.

Have emailed AQIS just to see what they say!

Also watched the poms in paradise, it was good to show my family where we will be going in July, half an hour just seemed to pass to quickly, if they changed it to 4 hour long programmes instead of 8 half hour ones we would see them all before we left :wink:

Wilma

We gave our leftover alcohol to our removal men! I don't think it would be a fire risk exactly, it's not that easy to ignite if you have ever tried to set light to a Christmas pudding you will know what I mean. My carton of nail varnish would probably have been a more potent fire starter.

Would love to have seen Poms in Paradise, it would be good to compare with the actuality of living the dream' I'm still trying to figure out a way of downloading UK tv programmes so if anyone can help with that we would be very grateful. Very off the subjet I know lol.

There seem to be so many visas being granted at the moment and I hope that those of you heading for Perth with join Pips Aus and meet up for coffee/lunch with us. It's good to build up a group of like minded people away from one's family.

Best wishes

Cath

Caught up! I think.

Thanks to all for the posts - please check the tracker to make sure I've recorded events faithfully. Great to be back in the UK in late spring - I have a feeling we will be dual nationality one day!

We flew Malaysian MEL to KL - old aircraft, good legroom, good food (unexpected that).

KLM to Amsterdam - modern aircraft, good legroom, good food, uncomfortable seat (for me anyway)

KLM to Bristol (only one hour - fine)

All economy by the way and all on time.

All the best!

Cheers

Steve

Hi

Yes We have just watched it also. Did not think much of the couple that sounded like lottery houligans. Rest were ok but bit limited on info on emigrating.

The problem with these shows is you never know how the people are told or encouraged to act in front of the camera and with careful editing they could come across completely different to their norm.

The main bit that gave that 'hoon' impression was the beach driving with horn blaring on what could have been Fraser Island (just guessing) but they did not really give clues as to where many scenes were shot.

I don't think the remit of the program is to give info on how to emigrate just how people who have are getting on after a year or so.

:idea: If you want to cook eggs for breakfast on the beach go to the UK £1 Shop and stock up on their non-stick oven liner sheets (they are washable and last well), eggs cook fine and don't stick to BBQ.

P.S. My avatar may have been taken on the same beach.

Would love to have seen Poms in Paradise, it would be good to compare with the actuality of living the dream' I'm still trying to figure out a way of downloading UK tv programmes so if anyone can help with that we would be very grateful.

When in Oz I use My Expat Network

This service costs £5 per month (paid using Paypal) and makes your internet connection seem as if it is in the UK. You can then view all inernet sites normally available to UK residents such as the BBC iplayer, UK version of BBC news, the ITV and C4 players, etc.

I have used it to watch the BBC web coverage of the Formula 1 races rather than the dreadful coverage from Australian broadcasters.

However, the 'Poms in Paradise' program is not so far shown on the ITV player list.

There is an icon to switch this service on or off as you desire. So if you want to view .com.au sites it is best to switch it off although it will still work.

Peewit

I have used it to watch the BBC web coverage of the Formula 1 races rather than the dreadful coverage from Australian broadcasters.

Peewit

Funny you should mention this. Tony just blasted off a complaint form to 1HD after the lamentable coverage of the Turkish grand prix interrupted with ads at the most unfortunate moments. It won't do any good of course but he felt more cheesed off than usual.

Cath

We gave our leftover alcohol to our removal men! I don't think it would be a fire risk exactly, it's not that easy to ignite if you have ever tried to set light to a Christmas pudding you will know what I mean. My carton of nail varnish would probably have been a more potent fire starter.

Would love to have seen Poms in Paradise, it would be good to compare with the actuality of living the dream' I'm still trying to figure out a way of downloading UK tv programmes so if anyone can help with that we would be very grateful. Very off the subjet I know lol.

There seem to be so many visas being granted at the moment and I hope that those of you heading for Perth with join Pips Aus and meet up for coffee/lunch with us. It's good to build up a group of like minded people away from one's family.

Best wishes

Cath

Marian Burgess recommended http://WWW.viewtvabroad.com to me-she says its brilliant and they can watch all UK TV for £6.49 per month....

Cath

G'day Cath

Have a look at these sites:–

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/index.html and

http://www.viewtvabroad.com/

I don't know how well they work; does anyone else?

Mike

G'Day

This is a transcript of an ABC Lateline segment with various pundits giving their predictions for the Aussie at the end of the year:–

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/business/items/201105/s3214381.htm

Or watch at http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/05/11/3214381.htm

It's all about the $A vs $US, but with people sounding a tad more bullish about interest rates in the UK, it could impact on the $A–£ rate, I guess (although I'm no economist – no disqualification, some might say!).

Anyhow, make of it what you may.

Mike

Oh, so hope they are not typical!!! Except for the fairly impressive POM Surf Life Saver! Suspected from the trailers that they would feature more "extreme" personalities, but to be honest the programme only skimmed the surface, there was no real depth to any of it. Enjoyable to watch nevertheless, and would enjoy a breakfast on the beach, except our daughter tells us its been only 4 degrees and wet where she is in Victoria! Hey Ho!

This service costs £5 per month (paid using Paypal) and makes your internet connection seem as if it is in the UK. You can then view all inernet sites normally available to UK residents such as the BBC iplayer, UK version of BBC news, the ITV and C4 players, etc.

However, the 'Poms in Paradise' program is not so far shown on the ITV player list.

There is an icon to switch this service on or off as you desire. So if you want to view .com.au sites it is best to switch it off although it will still work.

Peewit

Hi

This is what we are planning to do when we get to Aus - do you watch the programmes on your PC or have you been able to connect up your TV - if so, how? I am currently researching a couple of fairly inexpensive software programmes that will record TV programmes on to a PC external hard-drive with a view to buying an Aussie Digi Set top box with a USB connection to watch them on the TV - our concern is the time difference, and we don't want to download programmes because of internet speeds/limits etc. I understand that simply watching a programme is streaming rather than downloading and so does not affect the download limits. Any advice would be appreciated. Aussie TV adverts drive us mental - especially those ones that are put on for 5 minutes before the last 2 minutes of the show!

Thanks Gill

Hi

I understand that simply watching a programme is streaming rather than downloading and so does not affect the download limits. Any advice would be appreciated. Aussie TV adverts drive us mental - especially those ones that are put on for 5 minutes before the last 2 minutes of the show!

Thanks Gill

I'm not so worried about download limits, we have loads to spare and don't get anywhere near using our monthly allowance. You might find you are the same. We had to go with Telstra and the way the plans seem to work it's all or nothing. We ended up with a far bigger monthly limit than we actually need at the moment.

Cath

Hi

This is what we are planning to do when we get to Aus - do you watch the programmes on your PC or have you been able to connect up your TV - if so, how? I am currently researching a couple of fairly inexpensive software programmes that will record TV programmes on to a PC external hard-drive with a view to buying an Aussie Digi Set top box with a USB connection to watch them on the TV - our concern is the time difference, and we don't want to download programmes because of internet speeds/limits etc. I understand that simply watching a programme is streaming rather than downloading and so does not affect the download limits. Any advice would be appreciated. Aussie TV adverts drive us mental - especially those ones that are put on for 5 minutes before the last 2 minutes of the show!

Thanks Gill

G'Day Gill

Being a Macoholic, my thoughts turn to an Apple TV box, which routes stuff from your Mac to your TV over a WiFi network. But I think there are similar gadgets for Window PCs. Anyone know?

Used with BBC iPlayer and the rest, it's definitely the answer for timeshifting.

I think streaming would fall foul of download limits, in fact. But you can get unlimited downloads from some ISPs – eg the people we use for our Sydney unit, TPG – at relatively reasonable (by Oz standards – much more than the UK) rates. If and when the National (fibre-optic) Broadband Network is built, it should be even easier.

My pet hate about Oz TV is the way programmes just run into each other (to "hook" viewers, I guess) after the late Ad break you mention and – with some channels in particular – don't pay much regard to advertised start times.

Best, Mike

PS: We pay $A39.99 a month for up to 60GB. They also do a deal with unlimited downloads for $A29.99 if you rent your phone line from them for $A30, which is $10 more than Testra, more or less. See http://www.tpg.com.au/

G'Day Gill

My pet hate about Oz TV is the way programmes just run into each other (to "hook" viewers, I guess) after the late Ad break you mention and – with some channels in particular – don't pay much regard to advertised start times.

Best, Mike

/

sadly it's not just start times. How many times have we missed the end of a recorded programme cos it's run over and not just by a few minutes either. We always allow a good 10 minutes but have been caught out numerous times. Come back BBC, all is forgiven.

sadly it's not just start times. How many times have we missed the end of a recorded programme cos it's run over and not just by a few minutes either. We always allow a good 10 minutes but have been caught out numerous times. Come back BBC, all is forgiven.

Yes, that's what I meant, really – the schedules simply don't match the published times.

Mike

Yes, that's what I meant, really – the schedules simply don't match the published times.

Mike

Our daughter has found that, since getting a digital PVR they don't have so much of a problem with over-running schedules - it only becomes a problem when they want to record two programmes, the 2nd on another channel straight after the 1st is supposed to finish.

Although there is a reasonable selection of programmes on Aus channels, ABC in particular shows a good number of UK progs, they are usually quite old (although we did see a new series of Midsomer Murders BEFORE it was broadcast here in the UK), but there are some progs that they just don't have - Have I got News for You (will that be meaningful without UK news??) Question of Sport, QI - are you getting a picture of our viewing habits yet? The Aussie equivalents are just not quite good enough. That's where we see BBC IPlayer etc coming into it's own but not being very technical I am struggling with the connections between computer and TV - wireless sounds perfect and we will probably have to buy a decent TV eventually so might go for one of those with internet capability.

Thanks for all the advice - quite pleased to hear no-one struggling with download limits.

All the best to everyone.

Gill

Hi

Thanks Gill

Most newer pc's have a HDMI output that can be simply connected to a HDMI input on a modern tv. Even older pc's usually have a video out port than can be used to older style tv's.

When in the uk I use a Humax freeview digital recorder. This is extremely easy to use with a program guide so you can choose in advance to record a program or series to the built in hard disk. Playback is also easy and a button on the remote will skip forward a preset time and can be used for jumping over adverts. I tried to replicate this setup in Australia. Humax is not available there so I got a Tivo that is supposed to be similar. This connects to most tv's and is also best if it is connected by a network cable to your broadband router. I must say the Tivo is cr*p. The Oz advertisers/broadcasters have had it altered so you cannot skip over ads although there is a fast forward button. However fast forwarding through 5 minuts of ads is still tedious. They are crafty and include ads that have similar content to the program you are watching so it is easy to stop and find you are still in the ads. The Tivo will let you choose specific programs to record and should let you choose the genre of programs that it will automatically record. This annoying feature meant it kept recording 'Dr Phil' which I do not want. Nothing I did would prevent this. The Tivo will only pick up local freeview channels (it seem to keep changing these on a daily basis) and so is no good for recording the uk channels. I used BBC iPlayer or similar to download uk programmes onto my pc and play them back on the tv. I found that that trying to stream live was often not great quality.

I used Internode as my broadband provider as it suited my requirements of month by month contract, supply of landline, non metered uploading on internet (for my webcam).

Sorry this is rather long winded and hope it helps.

Peewit

Guest sirmatt101

Are you really sure you would want the BBC back along with the licence fee? We find we don't watch a lot of TV as we are too busy doing other things, like work!! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Matt

Guest sirmatt101
Are you really sure you would want the BBC back along with the licence fee? We find we don't watch a lot of TV as we are too busy doing other things, like work!! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Matt

The idea of moving to Oz is to do Oz things, not Brit things like watch TV!! The trouble with Brits is when they go to a foreign country they want everything they had at home, why?? Might as well stay in the UK. :mad:

Matt

Cheers

Matt

Hi SirMatt

I'm sure you are right! I think its a bit of a comfort at the moment until we really get into the Aussie lifestyle and then TV - huh, what TV!

Cheers Gill