Reality check for those looking to emmigrate

kissofthegypsy

Guest siamsusie
Sorry mate, yes 6 months........I was looking at the wrong line as I always pay yearly (630)

kev

Unlike you young Kevin to get things wrong:biggrin: I see you continue to mislead the members!:wink:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Unlike you young Kevin to get things wrong:biggrin: I see you continue to mislead the members!:wink:

Welcome back chook.................I shall consider myself admonished! :cry:

Missed ya!

kev

Guest siamsusie
Welcome back chook.................I shall consider myself admonished!

Missed ya!

kev

Missed you as well but you were always there with me in body and spirit:hug:

:wink:

Thought I would throw a slightly different point of view in here. I am American, but have been living in the UK for the last 3 years. My dad is from Scotland, so I have a UK passport and was able to easily move over to be with my now husband. I didn't have to go through all the visa stuff, so my experience was just the emotional and cultural issues I've been seeing on here. It sucks leaving your loved ones. I would never try to kid anyone about that, but the world is so connected now that it is easier to keep in touch. I speak to my family every week. Skype is great so we can see each other. My husband and I have gone back a few times, and it makes me happy to have moved on with my life. Nothing seems to change too much while your gone.

I am from California, so have lived in that outdoor lifestyle that has been mentioned so much. That is my biggest complaint about the UK. I have never watched so much TV in my life! I miss BBQ's and going for hikes and running outdoors without getting soaked! You work hard in the states just like here. You actually work more and get less holidays, but when you're off there is so much more choice in activities. You know the weather will be good during certain times of the year, so it is much easier to make the most of the time you have.

We are looking forward to starting a family when we get to Australia. We know it will be hard to do that away from family, but in the long run it seems to be the best place we have seen to raise our own.

Everyone will have different issues that make it easier and harder to decide on whether or not to go. The research is a must! I think that is the biggest point that is made on all those TV shows. The one's that haven't done their homework always seem to have the most conflict.

Personally I can't wait for this new adventure!

Guest guest30038
Missed you as well but you were always there with me in body and spirit:hug:

:wink:

"body" would be a good thing :wink:

kev

Guest treesea

I've lived in Australia in three separate stints, the first when I was 6, just for a few months, then later when I was in my early 20s, for a few years, (Sydney) and finally from my mid 30s to 40s, 11 and a half years, in Melbourne. We came back to the UK a few years ago, partly for the weather. I like the cold and the sun, but not the rain, so we put aside London, our intended destination, and came to Edinburgh instead.

If you prefer being warm most, if not all, the time, then Australia will do it. But maybe you should ask yourself this, after you have gone over to try it out - can you manage only seeing your extended family every five, six, seven years? It's hard to get the answer to this one right when you are still sitting in the place where you can see them once or twice a month/week or even every day. I didn't think this would happen to me with our Australian and NZ based family. I really had good intentions, of going back to NZ/Oz every couple of years to see them all. Well, the years have ticked by. So much for good intentions. I haven't so much as crossed the border since we came back. The cost is a major part of it, for sure. Transporting four people to the other side of the world doesn't come cheap. If you want your children to grow up knowing their grandparents, and your brothers and sisters families, intimately rather than sporadically, then now might not be the right time to move to Australia.

If, however, you fancy trying out Australia, I would say go. Sure, you might not like it. But if you're prepared to live there for a few years, enough to get citizenship, I would say it is well worth it. I may never go back to Australia to live, even though I have Australian born children, but at least we as a family have Australian citizenship. So, in case I do suddenly develop a hankering for a heatwave of a summer and being miles away from anywhere, it will be a simple matter to go back. I realise Brits are not tied to Britain migration wise. We can all go and live anywhere in the EU, including the various English speaking places, like Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar, at the drop of a hat. But I like the feeling that if I wanted to up sticks and move down under at 70, I can. Here's an irony. Because we have lived in Australia for over 10 years, we will eventually qualify for an Australian pension. But I won't qualify for a full British pension for over 20 more years. I hope I still feel like working here when I am 70 :-)

A few observations on costs:

The minimum wage. In Australia this really is a living wage , currently just over $14 an hour. Okay, Here, it definitely isn't. At £5.80 an hour, it doesn't go far and what is most telling about it is that, if you have a family, being on the minimum wage entitles you to working tax credit and housing benefit. What is the point of a minimum wage if it isn't enough to support your family?

Rent is more expensive in Edinburgh than in Melbourne, probably on a par with Sydney. Our rent in Edinburgh is £650 a month, two bed plus attic and boxroom, no central heating, no double glazing. But it's much better insulated than our house in Australia (brick veneer, metal roof) was. Not built to let the cold air in. If there's anyone who has felt the various breezes coming into the house in Australia and wondered, in the midst of winter, where exactly they were coming from.....then you'll know what I mean.

House prices are cheaper in Edinburgh than in Sydney or Melbourne, at current exchange rates, and the mortgage interest rates are laughable. I don't think they have gone above 6% in the getting on for six years that we have been back. Our friend's 2 bedroom flat in North Melbourne, so inner city, an equivalent distance from the city to where we are in Edinburgh, smaller than the flat we currently have but in good nick, just sold for $480K. At current rates of around $670 per month per $100,000 borrowed over 25 years, a $400K mortgage would cost AUD$2,680 a month. If you're prepared to live on the outskirts of the city, then that same money would buy you a well maintained three bedroom/two bathroom brick veneer around Croydon North (37km NE of Melbourne).

Meat seems more expensive in the UK than in Australia, though that doesn't seem to be the case with fish. Staples like milk and bread are cheaper in the UK. Silly prices really.

State school is cheaper in the UK. I know school levies are meant to be optional in Australia, but there seems to be an expectation that everyone will pay them. We don't seem to pay for anything here in the UK, not even things like school jotters. Nice, but unexpected. Private school is way too expensive here compared to Australia, about three times the price, presumably reflecting the fact that the fees aren't subsidised the way they are in Australia. If we were to go back to Australia now, I would splash out on a nice house in a good area, and send my children to a good state school rather than do as we did and invest in private school fees rather than the house.

Public transport in Edinburgh is a lot cheaper than in Melbourne, even though the local bus company covers vast areas, beyond Edinburgh's boundaries. Which is odd, given that petrol is £1.12 a litre here, so more expensive than in Australia. Word of warning about petrol in Australia though. It is cheaper, but you can end up travelling quite long distances, compared to here, for things like taking the kids to school (here, they walk) going to the supermarket, and going to work. For people who live outside the M25 and commute into London for work, I doubt if you will notice. But for those of us whose idea of getting to work is 20 - 30 minutes door to door, in spite of using public transport, the travel times in Australia can come as a bit of a shock. Especially if you have to drive yourself.

We work longer hours than we did in Australia, and for less pay, and yet....the pace of life here somehow seems slower, less frenetic, than in Australia. It amazes me here the number of people who cycle to work. I don't think I knew anyone who did that at my workplace in Australia - no one had the time!

The outdoors. What I notice in the UK is that people go outdoors here all year round. When it's cold they just wrap up warm. They certainly don't hibernate. Well, not in Edinburgh. Maybe the west coast is a lot wetter. In Australia, when it gets really hot, people tend to stay indoors.

Going back to cars, car insurance seems expensive here in the UK compared to Australia, but the cars themselves are dirt cheap. So swings and roundabouts perhaps?

Council tax is a lot more expensive here than rates were in Australia, - ours is around £1,400 and includes water rates. Plus the water usage is not metered - well, not yet at least. Our rates in Australia were just over $1,000, but that didn't include the water charge, which was around $400 a year.

Hi Benchola,

what you say is in a round about way the same as me, its wages not exchange rates and more importantly whats left over at the end of each month, all the best,

jim

hi jim, just a thought we get paid weekly here and rent etc all comes out weekly as well which has taken us a long time to get our heads around as the norm for us in the uk was monthly, and at the end of the week we think shucks were done for.... we realise were ready to be paid again .... seems quite normal over here , not sure if it is with most other parts .

i like it that way too.

Hi Jim,

We live in Perth and i can definitely say we haven't regretted the move for one second. We moved in 92 so have been here a while. We still enjoy the outdoor lifestyle that you are loking for. We were pretty lucky when we came as house prices were a lot cheaper then and we were able to get a 4 x 2 only 2 mins away from a great beach. We have two boys, the eldest was 2 when we came and the youngest, now 14, born here. It's a lot better for them as you comment.

Don't hesitate as you have to be fully commited to the move. Of course you have to work just as hard here but the cost of having a good time when you're not at work is minimal. We don't ever long for holidays and are quite happy to just spend them at home and go to the beach here.

My Sister and brother in law wanted to emigrate but didn't get in and are still pretty depressed. He is a policeman too but there were about 500 applicants for 50 positions. It's not easy to be accepted and the process can take a while. I would recommend you go for it as soon as possible. Bye the way we don't have any other family here and had never been before so were coming into a complete unknown. We came with the attitude that we would give it a year and not make any rash decisions. It obviously takes time to settle in. Now I can say that I loved it from the moment we landed and wish we had emigrated 20 years earlier.

All the best and good luck.

As much as I enjoy my new life here ,the reality of what I have done is slowly sinking in.It is becoming harder each day since my daughter flew back to the UK on the 14th Jan. Although she left home 6 years ago and her brother 8 years ago,I have always been within hours of being able to visit them.

What made it worse was she posted a message on Facebook that she had broken her elbow and was off work.I know in the grand scheme of things its nothing serious but she has not been able to sleep cos of the pain and she wants her mum !!!!!

My oldest son I have not seen since we left the UK in May last year,so I was really looking forward to seeing him in July when we go back for a visit.However last night he informed me he has accepted a job in UAE.My youngest son studies in Cyprus.So unless I win the lottery it looks like I will be permanently skint chasing the kids round the world.

I did discuss the move to Australia with the kids and they were the ones who pushed me when I had doubts,saying now that they had left home it was my time to enjoy life.

Its just I cant help feeling guilty about not being there when they need me.My sister is driving up to London this weekend to check in on my daughter.She is also driving my son to the airport for his flight ,she is even taking her holidays in Cyprus this year so she can spend time with my youngest.,BUT all this is my job.

What have I done ???????

Guest guest30038

What have I done ???????

What you wanted, just as they have done..........maybe not much consolation when you miss each other, but if it helps just a little? :yes:

When I first came here, I had these thoughts also..grandchildren being born and me not being there but if I was to become a frequent flyer every time the older kids needing help, my younger kids wouldn't have what they have now.

One of the boys just got married after only knowing the woman for 8 weeks..........8 weeks later and he's filed for separation. He rang me the other night saying that "he was in a dark place". Bridget is pushing for me to go over and see him but he'd probably end up in an even darker place if I let rip :rolleyes:

Kids eh?

As they say in Oz, "she'll be right chook" You hang on in there gal.

kev

Guest emmabrit

My Dad called me after watching Phil Spencer's show. I haven't seen it, but by all accounts it showed 'american' style houses and beaches.

Aussie is seen as that until you move here and the bubble bursts. The Aussie's see England as this small dreary place that constantly rains and bring it up as often as they can.

I live in a unit, found it hard to settle, miss my family every day as well as get used to all the things that have already been described within this forum. Its also really cold in the winter.

Whilst I haven't seen the episode yet, i'm pretty sure Phil didn't highlight how hard it can be and how different it is from home.

Guest tlander56
My Dad called me after watching Phil Spencer's show. I haven't seen it, but by all accounts it showed 'american' style houses and beaches.

Aussie is seen as that until you move here and the bubble bursts. The Aussie's see England as this small dreary place that constantly rains and bring it up as often as they can.

I live in a unit, found it hard to settle, miss my family every day as well as get used to all the things that have already been described within this forum. Its also really cold in the winter.

Whilst I haven't seen the episode yet, i'm pretty sure Phil didn't highlight how hard it can be and how different it is from home.

Interesting Brisbane housing affordability survey

You can down load it using UKNOVA.com which is pretty easy to set up.

tbh, I prefer Phils program mainly as it at lease works with families who have already emmigrated, hence have already put the spade work in to get here and they should now what to expect already.

There is a bit of glam for the people watching but at lease they get em working, etc, not like WDU when they put you in a 1.6m dollar house when you can only earn $55k a year.

Its not perfect but they want people to watch it so it cant be all doom and gloom, what does amaze me however is how much people expect for so little money. $300k cant buy much over here, but it depends where you want to live.

We are having to spend more than double that to build but thats our choice and millstone lol.

The more I watch these programs the more I see them as popcorn entertainment rather than factual.

Sean

Hi JayBone,

You are exactly right mate. You can't hope to compare prices here to the UK. You have to forget even trying and just get on with your life with what you get here. The lifestyle package for you and family is what you are coming for.

We have long service leave here (in most companies) after ten years you get 3 months off. I have been at the same place for 15 years and so had acrued 19 weeks long servie leave and also had about 4 weeks annual leave. My Sister, nieces, nephew and partners came out at Christmas so I thought it would be a good time to take 8 weeks off. We were able to spend a lot of time together my wife had 6 weeks off too. The weather was great (it's not rained here for someting like 70 days) and my sister and family were more than happy to go down to the local beach every day. We are lucky enough to live about 2 mins from a great beach.

We are members of the local surf club and I have boards and surf skis stored there. We didn't know anyone when we came but have a big circle of friends now, mostly met through the surf club so my family were introduced to loads of people when we bumped into them on the beach, which was almost every day.

I get up around 5:30 every day and go to do some kind of training (mostly surf ski) go for a coffee with the rest of the training group and can be back at home for 7:00. I can carry this on all through summer even when i'm at work. It really made the holiday feel like a long time off.

If you and your family like sport and this sounds good to you, go for it. It doesn't cost a cent to do this sort of entertainment either, once you have paid the membership fees which aren't too bad. We have had a lot of friends visit us and thay have still been in the UK mode of holiday when you don't get out of bed until 11:00. You have to adopt a different frame of mind, probably like you did when you went to Spain, Portugal, Greece on holiday.

I know this is not for everybody but it suits me and the family to a tee. By the way I am 56 and my wife is 51. I am sure we wouldn't be anywhere near as active if we lived in the UK still.

Hi Emma,

I notice you still call England "Home" and you obviously stay in close contact with your Dad.

I don't know anything about Phil Spencer or what his show might be about but what I think you need to do is maybe accept that here is "home" for you now, get out a bit more and get some friends (not the on-line variety but real friends you can hang around with). I know it's hard but the longer you try and long for the things you left the the harder it will be. Accept the place you have moved to, try and treat it like a holiday for a while and see what happens. Things will get better. I am only guessing here but if you are forever on the internet chatting to people back in the UK you aren't really giving Oz a proper go.

All the best.

Archived