Reality check for those looking to emmigrate

kissofthegypsy

Guest Hearne_Family

As always there are those who say its more expensive here and those who think its cheaper...I am on the cheaper side! We lived in a lovely place in the UK called the Isle of Wight, many PIO'ers will probably know it from family holidays. Its a beautiful part of the country, beaches all around, pretty much all of which are award winning. There are many historical places to visit and a lot of local history to explore, its the one place in the UK I would raise my 2 childrenn but I chose not to...why? Well because people came over and fell in love with it, the Island became a very expensive...house prices rocketed and it was almost impossible to get on the ladder without finiancial help from parents, the cost of living went up too, shops noticed the 'new' money and adjusted their prices accordingly, going out became more expensive and live started to feel oppressing.

We were struggling financially and found ourselves living off of credit cards - our own fault for living above our means but you have to remember that in all this time when the cost of living was rising wages stayed almost the same. I was travelling for 4 hours a day having to catch a ferry to the mainland, it started off costing me £150 per month to travel, within 9 months it was £190 and after 18 months it was over £200.

Australia had been on our minds for years and when we felt like we were being priced out of living in our own country we bit the bullet and made the move. I pay 50-60 cents per litre on LPG for my car here, buy food seperately at different shops (Fruit and Veg shop, Butchers etc) I have a great job which paid me more on my original wage than I was paid in the UK, I am now living more comfortably than I ever have. I pay $400 per month back to the UK to pay off debts and can still afford a comfortable life here. My wife does not need to work which is a great feeling - dont get me wrong she will get work at some point but there is no real need to worry about it.

I guess my point is for everyone who finds it more expensive there are those who find it less, its all down to where you were living, what you were earning and what lifestyle you led in the UK and here in Oz its down to the same.

Sweeping statements are insulting to some and agreeable to others. To me they are just a little annoyance.

Life is what you make it, work hard, get paid well and live harder!!

Terry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

i am going to list the costs below of my bills in the uk, my pound sign doesn't work but the dollar sign does. When we were in Perth in 2006 the dollar was $225 to the pound and our wages were almost exactly the same in OZ as they are in the uk. I know that the dollar is down below $170 but if we go by this rate our new wages would be worth about 15,000 pounds more in OZ than the uk, which is nonsense. so here are my bills.

Council tax- 1400 pounds equivalent to $3,000 dollars.

Gas and electric- 1600 pounds. - $3,500 dollars per year.

Water rates- 400 pounds. - $900 dollars per year.

Mortgage- 750 pounds. -$1650 dollars per month. For a 70,000 pounds mortgage. $150,000 dollars

Petrol- 110 pence a litre. - $2.40

Car tax. 180 pounds. - $400 dollars per year. no MOT in Oz.

Car insurance. 500 pounds. - $1100 dollars.

weekly shop. 175 pounds. - $400 dollars

Stamp duty. 2,000 pounds - $4,500 dollars. I know in Oz this is more like $20,000 dollars.

These are equivalents to the uk pound to the Oz dollar, i know people will say you can't compare it like this, but i am going by the wages and not the exchange rate. Will anyone who is living in Australia, tell us of the costs for each of these items, i think it will make interesting reading. Also i know someone will mention about, extra health care premiums and maybe private fees for scools and other things, will you also let us know if everyone pays these.

This isn't serious, so i hope people don't get offended, its just a cost reflective exercise.

jim.

Guest Benchola
A few truths about Australia in my experience after 6 years living here in Melbourne and Brisbane are the facts that it is simply a very Expensive place to live now the Housing situation is so expensive plus the stamp duty on property is way to high depending on which state you live in, utilities have gone up in Victoria 15% in the past 9 months, rates are getting close to the average council tax band A bill in the UK (only benefit there is when your renting you dont have to pay it), build quality of the houses in Australia is dreadfull due to single brick vaneer and poor glazing (get ready for noise as this is a major issue throughout Australia), taxes are way higher in Australia on many things such as cars (STAMP DUTY) and bank savings interest which is 31.5% for the average income in the UK its 20% for the Average wage, food is a joke no competition and is way higher than the UK from my experience, Clothing is expensive and poor quality, alcohol is very expensive here as well, the petrol is cheaper and eating out is resonable but it is still getting expensive, inflation in Australia is getting out of control so Interest Rates here are going up fast, you need to earn good money to survive comfortably and if your going to buy a house you will be buying in the middle of a property boom which is yet to burst, the Weather is the main benefit to Australia although the Summer can be pretty bad with the Humidity in places like Queensland, the culture is completely different to the UK and the lack of history and tall poppy syndrome are a real problem for many people trying to settle, the distances to travel to work are long and stessfull given the bad infrastruture in places throughout most capital cities in Australia (simply were not created to handle there current populations) good luck to all those making the move and be prepared for many ups and downs as its a long road and it does,nt get any easier for many people no matter how much money you have ITS WERE THE HEARTS AT THAT MATTERS:biggrin:

Thanks for the info. One quick point though....

You say that it Oz is a VERY expensive place to live. I'm sure it is, from your perspective at least. You have been in Oz for 6 years now, so I do not doubt that it is a LOT more expensive now than it ever has been.

However, the question that most Brits want answering is - is Oz more expensive than the UK?

Believe me, I have done my research in a lot of detail and can say, quite honestly, that Oz is no more expensive than the UK in overall terms. Sure, Council Tax and utilities seem to be more expensive than the UK, and mortgages certainly can be depending on your circumstances. However, there are so many other things that are not as expensive. And do not forget that the UK wasn't dubbed 'Rip Off Britain' for nothing - there are plenty of family based activities in Oz that are free, and which you would have to pay for in some degree in the UK.

Overall, you win on the swings and lose on the roundabouts. You won't make a bundle of cash in Oz as I believe the cost of living is pretty similar to that of the UK.

All in my well researched opinion, of course......:wink:

Guest Guest31881
Hi everyone,

i am going to list the costs below of my bills in the uk, my pound sign doesn't work but the dollar sign does. When we were in Perth in 2006 the dollar was $225 to the pound and our wages were almost exactly the same in OZ as they are in the uk. I know that the dollar is down below $170 but if we go by this rate our new wages would be worth about 15,000 pounds more in OZ than the uk, which is nonsense. so here are my bills.

Council tax- 1400 pounds equivalent to $3,000 dollars. Dont pay it I rent

Gas and electric- 1600 pounds. - $3,500 dollars per year. Electric bill $240 for last 3 months but no air con, No gas.

Water rates- 400 pounds. - $900 dollars per year. Don't pay it I rent

Mortgage- 750 pounds. -$1650 dollars per month. For a 70,000 pounds mortgage. $150,000 dollars Rent $235 a week so $12220 a year

Petrol- 110 pence a litre. - $2.40 Just filled up at $1.20 ltr

Car tax. 180 pounds. - $400 dollars per year. no MOT in Oz. Rego $680 for year, No MOT in QLD but some states have an annual test, Rego includes basic 3rd party insurance Injury only, not property.

Car insurance. 500 pounds. - $1100 dollars. $370 fully comp to top up insurance with rego

weekly shop. 175 pounds. - $400 dollars $300 a month (just 2 of us, not a family)

Stamp duty. 2,000 pounds - $4,500 dollars. I know in Oz this is more like $20,000 dollars. Don't know, but stamp duty is also payable on car sales here

VAT is known as GST here.

These figures are what we pay, just me and the wife.

Just a comment - even though rental prices are a bit ridiculous at the moment, to say the majority of Australians rent is not completely correct, we have one of the highest home ownership rates in the world. Albeit things are getting difficult for young couples wanting to buy.

Thats BVollox most of the hom e ownership is [peeps with 3 or 4 mortgages on rental properties , love it here but thats another aussie statement that is generalistic go to the facts and you are talkin a different story

p

Guest shawgorbys

ive read all the posts and really enjoyed them me personally if you wan things and dreams in your life you have to go and get them they wont come to you so if you want something in life go get it we only get one chance at life your only here once and when your old it will be if only i had done this and that so you all take care and do it Andrea&family xxxx

Guest claire&fred

I think this is an excellant thread and feel the OP is spot on.

We live in Perth and find it quite expensive here. Naturally when we arrived we converted everything into pounds which is quite unrealistic and made shopping take a whole lot longer.

We rent as we cannot afford to buy, however what we pay for our rental, which is a 4 x 2 is far less than we would pay for a 3 bedroom flat (from where we came from). It is money lost but we cannot afford to buy at the moment.

If you want your kids to go to a good secondary school most people choose private. The public secondary schools around where we are are very good but are very fussy about you either living in the area or your child having a scholarship of some sort. However, I went to private school in the UK and this was many, many years ago and I feel that private schools here are cheaper than when I went.

Perth is quite a cut off city so alot of food etc is imported which does hike up the prices.

I am also having to work 4 days a week now which I did not have to do in the UK. My husband is a bricklayer by trade but could not get a job here doing exactly that. He did however, get very, very lucky after spending months trawling the internet, papers and speaking to people, finally getting a job as a field assistant up in Newman. So he does FIFO (fly in fly out) for 2 weeks at a time. However the company will not give him a contract and during Dec, Jan and Feb they shut down due to the heat up there.

Emigrating has also been a strain on our marriage as we have had to remake friends and basically just start all over again.

You will also find every tom, dick and harry suddenly wanting to come for a holiday, but it is not a holiday for you as you still have to work and all your bills double due to the extra guests and when they leave you are all turned upside down again saying goodbye at the airport.

However, the weather is a bonus but we do also have 3-4 months where there is non-stop sheet rain, wind and a drop in temperature and the houses here are not built for winter. There is no double glazing, insulation or central heating and it also pours with rain whilst doing the school run.

We found that taking every day as it comes, being positive and seeing our kids grow and become healthier and happier has been the biggest bonus and just a simple expedition to the beach (also known as an army manouver in this family) shows us just how blessed we are to be here, especially when I read the many that are still desperately trying to get here.

I wish you all luck and to stay open minded and realistic and do not just come for the weather, there is much more to Australia than that.

Claire

Guest Benchola

Just to expand on my post earlier....

I've compared our cost of living in the UK with that of what we expect it to be in Australia. Our monthly expenses in the UK equate to circa £1,500 (excluding mortgage). In Oz, our research is expected to be in the region of $2,750 (again excluding mortgage / rent etc).

If you do a quick conversion of our current monthly outgoings to AUD (based on an exchange rate of $1.70 to the £), this equates to circa $2,500. Over the course of a month OZ is working about $200 more expensive. This is offset by other incidental items being cheaper - such as train travel, petrol etc. Not only that but my profession in Oz can actually pay more at a basic level than in the UK.

I know everyone's personal circumstances are different, but I am sure that even if we cut back marginally on one or two things, we could bring back our monthly expenditure in Oz to a level similar to that of the UK.

Guest Guest31881

I've compared our cost of living in the UK with that of what we expect it to be in Australia. Our monthly expenses in the UK equate to circa £1,500 (excluding mortgage). In Oz, our research is expected to be in the region of $2,750 (again excluding mortgage / rent etc).

If you do a quick conversion of our current monthly outgoings to AUD (based on an exchange rate of $1.70 to the £), this equates to circa $2,500. Over the course of a month OZ is working about $200 more expensive. This is offset by other incidental items being cheaper - such as train travel, petrol etc. Not only that but my profession in Oz can actually pay more at a basic level than in the UK.

I know everyone's personal circumstances are different, but I am sure that even if we cut back marginally on one or two things, we could bring back our monthly expenditure in Oz to a level similar to that of the UK.

May I suggest that instead of converting £ to $ to work out costs, you try doing it as a % of your income. comparing currencies does not really work, due to the value of the £ you do not get a realistic comparison, The exchange rate today is $1.80, but as a % of your income it has not changed, I hope this makes sense.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Benchola,

the problem is you can't equate the pound to the dollar at $1.70 because if you do that our wages are worth another 15,000 pounds more if we emigrate. It is not easy to follow this, but as i said previously when we were in Perth in 2006 the dollar was $2.25 to the pound and our wages were going to be identical at that exchange rate. But at todays rate we would get a massive boost in income by coming to Australia because of the $1.70 rate, but in reality in Australia everything is the same as 2006, apart from inflation. I am not saying that i am right and that your wrong, but to make any sense of costs between the UK and OZ, the wages you earn are the only clear system you can use, not the exchange rate, which will always be fluctuating.

jim

You cant compare or make a judgement till you have worn the tee shirt ,you cut yuor cloth to suit. You just have to bite the bullet and suckand see ,holiday analysts are so off the mark its untrue.Hows it going Claire hun sound pissed off giz a yellif you want a chat Brighton cum sahara all good lol

mally

Guest guest37336

Hi all.

Thought I would offer an opinion for what's it worth. Over recent years the attention that Australia has drawn from the media has been immense. Some of the media attention is fantastic, realistic, down to earth, and thorough in its tenure. However, some of the media attention has been biased, skewed and wholly inappropriate. I posted a thread just the other day about a similar topic, and was told in no uncertain terms by a PIO member that anybody who does not do their research should have no 'sympathy' at all, in their opinion. Whilst I agree to an extent with this statement I still find it a little harsh.

What i am trying to say is this. That once the 'seed' of possible migration is deeply implanted in ones own mind, the said mind can in no small measure go into overdrive, and 'some' logical train of thought can be lost. For all intense and purposes the afflicted now see Australia as their future and nothing will ever change their mind. Please do not misinterpret what I am saying. I love Australia and the Australians, for the most part, but at times it is a country and a people that can drive me to the point of distraction. It is not perfect, no where is.

But, and it is a BIG but, when I first considered migration as a viable 'life choice' little that was said about Australia, and in particular its negatives, would have registered in my tiny mind. Yes, I did all the research, housing, careers, schooling, monetary aspects, it took months to collate as much information as I could. But when I arrived, by God, it came as a huge shock to the system.

No matter what we like to think, human nature being as it is, we will only at time want to hear the positives about certain aspects. To put it into context a little. If you were discussing film stars, I know a fairly tenuous link but bear with me. One of your friends says that George Clooney is a compete fool, and an idiot. The films he makes are absolutely abysmal. Your opinion however of George is the complete opposite, nothing he does, says, wears, is wrong, in 'your' opinion. You could argue all night long but neither of you will ever come to agreement. (By the way, I have no strong opinion about George, thought I would get that in before his lawyers contact me).

That's what at times can happen when Australia is debated. No matter what is said, at times no resolution will come to light. So no matter the research done, however expertly and thoroughly it is carried out, there will be times that we will not acknowledge several distasteful facts about Australia. As I said, I love the country and its people, but it has taken time, and I now hope I can look upon Australia with a fair, balanced, and objective mindset.

In essence, no Australia is not perfect, the same can be said of EVERY country in the world. Until we all face this fact, and particularly those of you who have yet to arrive in Australia, then the view of Australia will often be unrealistic and skewed. That is not to apportion blame to prospective migrants at all, just try to get a fair and balanced overview before you go.

Thank you.

Guest Benchola
Hi Benchola,

the problem is you can't equate the pound to the dollar at $1.70 because if you do that our wages are worth another 15,000 pounds more if we emigrate. It is not easy to follow this, but as i said previously when we were in Perth in 2006 the dollar was $2.25 to the pound and our wages were going to be identical at that exchange rate. But at todays rate we would get a massive boost in income by coming to Australia because of the $1.70 rate, but in reality in Australia everything is the same as 2006, apart from inflation. I am not saying that i am right and that your wrong, but to make any sense of costs between the UK and OZ, the wages you earn are the only clear system you can use, not the exchange rate, which will always be fluctuating.

jim

I know that Jim. I have spoken to recruitment experts in Australia and they have confirmed what salary band I can expect. Trust me, it's more than I earn in the UK (just!). Not only that, but my earlier post does not even mention my salary or income - only what our monthly OUTGOINGS are likely to be.

The point of the comparison was to show the equivalent spend in the UK against what is predicted in Australia. It is a comparison only - not a method of budgeting for our future!

The monthly expenses that I have calculated for Australia are based on many discussions with family who live Brisbane (both in the centre and the Gold Coast / Bayside areas). I have put together a full anticipated schedule of expenses on a per month basis, based on this research. Trust me - it's detailed! I'm a QS by trade so I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to this kind of thing.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Benchola,

what you say is in a round about way the same as me, its wages not exchange rates and more importantly whats left over at the end of each month, all the best,

jim

Guest nevergiveup

Hi there

thanks for the post.. interesting

if you can make it work why cant every body??? obviously with the right attitude and some ......money...

I have to say that every ones comments have been really useful for me and my oh. We have been looking at making the move for quite a few years. Research is coming out of my ears!!!! However my oh is the ones whose skill is on the wanted list so when all the problem with the economy started we put things on the back burner but still the dream was there. I think we are pretty relaistic with the cost of living afterall you don't get nothing for free in this life. We both know we will have to work. That's includes me, even to the extent I am retraining to help get myself a better job or even the chance of a job. We have quite a lot of equity and know it's best to rent for a few years until my oh job works for him. But I would rather spend half my equity and take the chance of a better future and live a better quality of life than live where we do.

We have looked to move out of our area but the the quality of life would still be really bad. The place I live in England used to be a good place but we are now the 25th most deprived local borough in the whole of the UK. On top of that the weather means even in the summer we can't get out walking and doing sport because it rains. So we spend a fortune paying for out kids to go to play areas etc.

We have friends in Adelaide and Perth and they have told us of the emotional struggles. Fortunately for my oh and I we are ex army people so travelling around and leaving loved ones etc is not new. I know it's further away. But my family are supportive and realise it's our life. My friends well my closest live round the corner and although we have known each other for 25 years we speak more on Facebook than in person!

But yes research, speak to poeple go to exhibitions find out everything and still that won't make it easy at the time. But I think if we don't try we will always regret it.....

I agree that calculating things as a percentage of someones earnings is the only way to accurately compare the two.

However im in a sligthly different situation and will for the foreseeable future be wholely dependant on the exchange rate when working out how much things cost.....Whys that i hear you say?

Well i work for a british company overseas, they have given me permission to move to Australia and will pay for my travel back to my work location, therefore i will continue to be paid in Sterling, probably quite a unique situation. But only in these circumstances is comparing exchange rates a reasonable way of cost comparison.

The exchange rate collapse for me has resulted in a genuine 30% (ish) paycut, since we started the migration process, OUCH! but im still going for it, to me the move to Australia is not for financial gain, not for a bigger house, not for cheap bread at the supermarket.

Its a complete life change and a journey, we are selling our beautiful house for a loss, thanks to negative equity, we are spending all our savings on shipping our belongings, van and dog with us, we are leaving all of our friends and family behind as is everyone, but, the pull of not staying put in the same situation until the day i die is too much, i have to get out there and see other countries and experience other cultures.

That Wanted down under programme is the worst drivel i have ever seen (after X-factor and big brother). People complaining about metal fences!! People saying ' If were no better off here financially whats the point?' and the best one is people very unrealistic idea on wages, the hairdresser who thought she would be earning 80,000gbp in OZ...COME ON!! and then peoples very unrealistic opinions on what their houses are worth.

If the move is for financial gain, its not gonna work, find a different reason to move and if you still think its worth it im sure it will all be fine. People from poor countries move abroad for financial gain, people from rich countries move abroad to experience life.

JayBone x

I agree that calculating things as a percentage of someones earnings is the only way to accurately compare the two.

However im in a sligthly different situation and will for the foreseeable future be wholely dependant on the exchange rate when working out how much things cost.....Whys that i hear you say?

Well i work for a british company overseas, they have given me permission to move to Australia and will pay for my travel back to my work location, therefore i will continue to be paid in Sterling, probably quite a unique situation. But only in these circumstances is comparing exchange rates a reasonable way of cost comparison.

The exchange rate collapse for me has resulted in a genuine 30% (ish) paycut, since we started the migration process, OUCH! but im still going for it, to me the move to Australia is not for financial gain, not for a bigger house, not for cheap bread at the supermarket.

Its a complete life change and a journey, we are selling our beautiful house for a loss, thanks to negative equity, we are spending all our savings on shipping our belongings, van and dog with us, we are leaving all of our friends and family behind as is everyone, but, the pull of not staying put in the same situation until the day i die is too much, i have to get out there and see other countries and experience other cultures.

That Wanted down under programme is the worst drivel i have ever seen (after X-factor and big brother). People complaining about metal fences!! People saying ' If were no better off here financially whats the point?' and the best one is people very unrealistic idea on wages, the hairdresser who thought she would be earning 80,000gbp in OZ...COME ON!! and then peoples very unrealistic opinions on what their houses are worth.

If the move is for financial gain, its not gonna work, find a different reason to move and if you still think its worth it im sure it will all be fine. People from poor countries move abroad for financial gain, people from rich countries move abroad to experience life.

JayBone x

Well said JayBone, we moved to Oz for an adventure (sorry, that makes us sound a bit like the Famous Five, and there are only 4 of us, LOL) but it's a very good reason to come here. We had lived in the same village all our lives (although my husband and I didn't know each other until we were adults) and we said pretty much the same thing as you...if we don't try it now, we will stay here for the rest of our lives.

We wanted our kids to experience life in a different country so that they don't fear change, so they know that the world is a small place really and there's nothing to fear from getting out there and "giving it a go".

The thing you said about not making the move to Oz for financial motives is a good point - it's the first thing our (Australian-born) migration agent said to us. He told us if we were making the move for more money, not to think about it any more but if we were coming for a lifestyle change, to go ahead. His advice was absolutely right because we are no better off financially but we do have a very different, more active life here than we did in the UK.

Sue x

Guest guest30038
Hi everyone,

Council tax- 1400 pounds equivalent to $3,000 dollars.

Gas and electric- 1600 pounds. - $3,500 dollars per year.

Water rates- 400 pounds. - $900 dollars per year.

Mortgage- 750 pounds. -$1650 dollars per month. For a 70,000 pounds mortgage. $150,000 dollars

Petrol- 110 pence a litre. - $2.40

Car tax. 180 pounds. - $400 dollars per year. no MOT in Oz.

Car insurance. 500 pounds. - $1100 dollars.

weekly shop. 175 pounds. - $400 dollars

Stamp duty. 2,000 pounds - $4,500 dollars. I know in Oz this is more like $20,000 dollars.

These are equivalents to the uk pound to the Oz dollar, i know people will say you can't compare it like this, but i am going by the wages and not the exchange rate. Will anyone who is living in Australia, tell us of the costs for each of these items, i think it will make interesting reading. Also i know someone will mention about, extra health care premiums and maybe private fees for scools and other things, will you also let us know if everyone pays these.

This isn't serious, so i hope people don't get offended, its just a cost reflective exercise.

jim.

My costs in red will show why i am amazed when folk say it is so much dearer here.

Council tax- 1400 pounds equivalent to $3,000 dollars........... $1600

Gas and electric- 1600 pounds. - $3,500 dollars per year..........$2400 (and I run a pool pump, pond pump, 2 large fish tanks and 2 fridges and 2 freezers)

Water rates- 400 pounds. - $900 dollars per year........$460

Mortgage- 750 pounds. -$1650 dollars per month. For a 70,000 pounds mortgage. $150,000 dollars...........................don't have one

Petrol- 110 pence a litre. - $2.40..........average $1.22 (buy on wed or thurs)

Car tax. 180 pounds. - $400 dollars per year. no MOT in Oz.........Rego (road tax inclusive of 3rd party $630 (8 seater 4WD) cheaper for smaller vehicles

Car insurance. 500 pounds. - $1100 dollars............fully comp $450

weekly shop. 175 pounds. - $400 dollars................for 4 about the same but we eat well

Stamp duty. 2,000 pounds - $4,500 dollars. I know in Oz this is more like $20,000 dollars...............not sure what the stamp duty refers to?

Private school fees for 2 kids...........(4 terms) $8000

Car service (every 5000)................$112 (book service variable according to manufacturer)

Home contents insurance ($134,000)...................$464

Home rebuild insurance (300,000)........................$380

RACQ Ultra care Cover.........................................$148

Broadband (20 Gig)...............................................$69 monthly

Free Mobile phone.................$20 monthly with $15 free calls to other phones and unlimited free calls to named number with same company (The kids have one each so all their calls to my phone are free (ideal for picking them up from friends, sports clubs etc) IOW, their phones are totally free.........unless they exceed their $15 of free text/messages to mates then 22c a text.

kev

Guest Guest31881

Car tax. 180 pounds. - $400 dollars per year. no MOT in Oz.........Rego (road tax inclusive of 3rd party $329 (8 seater 4WD) cheaper for smaller vehicles

Hi Kev,

The $329 rego, is that 6 months cost or have I been fiddled, I paid a lot more for 12 months?

Guest claire&fred
You cant compare or make a judgement till you have worn the tee shirt ,you cut yuor cloth to suit. You just have to bite the bullet and suckand see ,holiday analysts are so off the mark its untrue.Hows it going Claire hun sound pissed off giz a yellif you want a chat Brighton cum sahara all good lol

mally

Hi Mally no longer in Kally

No, not pissed off just needed to be honest. However, Fred not good. Was using a disc cutter 3 weeks ago and thing just snapped whilst in a brick and ended up going through his foot and cutting through tendon to his big toe. Ended up in hospital and having surgery so is now on crutches till 23 Feb. Bit of a bummer but have to say all Drs and Nurses at Joondalup Hospital were brilliant. Not sure when he will be back at work so have filled out all the forms and heading up to Centrelink tomorrow to try and get a little financial help and all that.

Other than that hun, all is well. We did have a hard first 6 months but all well now. Kids back at school today and very happy with new teachers.

How is life in Brighton?

Claire

Guest mustangsal

Just wanted to jump in and say what an enjoyable read this thread has been so far. I agree that to think Oz is still the land of milk and honey is only going to give you a serious wake up call when you get there.

I travelled and stayed in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and Perth 20 years ago and I still hold those memories close to my heart, and yes I guess I have an idealistic view of how I would like our life with our children to be when we get there, but the truth is this, we are in the process of getting our visa together to give ourselves the option. I am 40 OH 43 we work hard, sometimes 6 days a week and live for the weekends so we can be a family, be outdoors and enjoy living, BUT when the weekend arrives 9 times out of 10 its raining, cold, windy and miserable which means staying in or paying money to go to the cinema or whatever else we can do inside.

I dont believe anything worth having comes easy you have to work for it and we are prepared to do that there the way we do here.

You only have this life and its your life no one elses, to sit and dream is fine but I dont want anyone saying to me your too old to even apply and I never want to here my self say I wish I had tried.

For me if moving to oz means my children can come home from school and still have enough daylight hours left to play in the park, ride their bikes and have fun and we can look forward to our family time together knowing we can be outside exploring and not paying a fortune trying to keep out of the rain, then bring it on. Lifes the adventure dont dream it live it!

Sal

x

I just want to say thanks to everyone telling me their experience and opinions!! I just have to take the chance that I will give my kids a better life. I know we have to work hard and going and living somewhere else doesn't mean we can just sit back and not put effort and hard work into our life. At the moment my husband and I earn a decent wage. My oh is a 15 year qualified civil Engineer at Project Manager level and has to pull the hours in. I work too and know I will still have to work around school hours. We're not daft enough to think this will be easy but at the moment our life style stinks!!! For the last 10 years we haven't been able to plan a simple bar-b-q because you can't plan. My oh's birthday is July and every year for 10 it's rained! Last year the highlight of the girls summer was having a bar-b-q under the patio unmberella with rain coats on! We did it on principle! But every weekend we struggle to find somewhere to go that doesn't cost a fortune. No playing in the park etc or even going to the zoo to spend £50 on entry and then it rains all day so no one can enjoy it!!

I for one am sick of the depressing summers! Winters you can allow but not all year apart from 4 weeks! We spend £3-4k going abroad every year just to try to get a few rays of sun and warmth...

The place I live has been voted the 7th worse for crime. although I live in a lovely house on a lovely estate it's only a pocket amongst the scum!

Get me out and if I fall on my face then at least I will have tried.

xxxxx

Erika, Mark, Elisha and Maisiemoo!!!

Guest guest30038
Hi Kev,

The $329 rego, is that 6 months cost or have I been fiddled, I paid a lot more for 12 months?

Sorry mate, yes 6 months........I was looking at the wrong line as I always pay yearly (630)

kev

Archived