NHS Number on UK Birth Certificate?

Woofyhugger

Hi Guys.

In brief, I came to Australia with my parents when I was 3 years old (1974). I am moving back to the UK in a couple months and have been doing the panic about NI and NHS numbers etc.

I have recently discovered that my birth certificate has an entry with an NHS number on it. Will this be my current NHS number that I can use back in the UK even though I haven't been back for 35 years? Or will I need a new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Hello, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number. You should have one allocated if you were born in the UK but the Job Centre will be able to let you know what it is National Insurance : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Are you sure you NHS Number is on your Birth Certificate? Just looked on mine and no sign of it. Funny though as I've never had need to know mine, never been asked for it. I remember it being on letters from hospitals etc but I've personally never known what it is. You dont need one to register with a GP, you will need proof of ID & address and importantly your British Passport not the Australian one so you get free care.

How do I find out my NHS number?

To check it is your number and / or get a medical card write to the Primary Care Trust where you lived. All the info in the link.

Thanks for that.

Yes, birth certificates from England and Wales between 1969 and 1995 have an NHS number on them. I'm just trying to work out if that number is a current NHS number or not.

As for the NI number. I have read and heard so many horror stories, even for people who were born in the UK. I'm really dreading moving to the UK and trying to get a NI number. The Habitual Residency Test is a crock. If you are British you are entitled to one. They still put you through thaty stupid HRT though.

Got to agree the HRT is a crock. Bizzare test with no set rules, being mostly reliant on the opinion of the person making the assessment.

Only thing I can advise for the HRT is if you are selling property or belongings in Aus, keep the documents, recipets or ad's to hand to show them. If you have any benfits etc in Aus and you are closing them, tell them you are moving to UK permenantly and ask them to print that off for you to bring with you. Proves breaking ties with Australia.

Buying property in the UK shows residence or if not buying & will be renting get the longest tennancy you can. Sign up for a year long college course even if you dont intend on finishing it (college/school starts Sept but you can sign up from when they advertise the courses from about May/June)

Good Luck.

Thanks shel for that.

I unfortunately do not own property, or will be buying any for the meantime. And I am renting privately, so I won't have an official lease. I am not sure if a letter from the landlord will do? I will have a UK bank account, and I can prove I have no relations in Australia and also that I have left my job.

Good idea about the College course, I would actually like to study again as I am looking for a career change. I also am not getting a Resident Return Visa, and will have a one way ticket so hopefully this may also be able to help?

It makes it hard for those british citizens trying to do the right thing when you are at the mercy of one persons opinion. I've never been good at brown nosing.

Thanks Shel.

It may help so keep hold of it and the lack of right to return will help but you would need to print off the law so they understand you have not got the right to return.

A letter from your landlord couldnt hurt. Also stuff like signing up with a GP, dentist etc shows you putting down roots. Having no relations in Aus will help show you have no reason to return.

Depending on what you want to claim you will have to prove this to several agencies, local authority housing, Department Work & Pensions, Tax Credits etc but once you have 'proved' it to one and get services/benefits the others should fall into line.

Thanks for that.

Yes, birth certificates from England and Wales between 1969 and 1995 have an NHS number on them. I'm just trying to work out if that number is a current NHS number or not.

Mine doesn't. Neither does my husbands. I thought NI numbers were only allocated at age 16.

I am sure it is very easy to get an NI number though, I have worked with a lot of migrants and never heard of anyone having a problem.

Sorry that quote above was for a NHS Number. :)

As for the NI Number, yes 16 years of age. Mind you on this forum and other expat forums there are heaps of horror stories about trying to get an NI number.. and that is even from returning Brits who left the country as children. The Habitual Residency Test makes it hard.

Oh yes sorry misread the thread. Doh.

Well I don't think NHS numbers are on birth certificates either. Bu like somebody else said, I have never in my life used it. I normally remember numbers, bank account codes, credit card long numbers, passport numbers of me and my husband, you name it, but I could not even tell you the format of an NHS number.

Guest Guest31881
Thanks for that.

As for the NI number. I have read and heard so many horror stories, even for people who were born in the UK. I'm really dreading moving to the UK and trying to get a NI number. The Habitual Residency Test is a crock. If you are British you are entitled to one. They still put you through thaty stupid HRT though.

You are correct about the NHS number, my twins born in 1976 have a birth certificate and the number on it corresponds to the NHS number thay had. Unfortunatly the system was changed a couple of years ago and everyones NHS number was changed to a new 10 figure format. (i think it was for the new computer system that never arrived).

NI numbers are allocated at birth and when you reach 16 you are normally sent a card that tells you your number. They are allocated because if you are under 16 and inherit or earn any money you need that number to sort out your tax payable. Obviousley you will not have a card.

When you arrive in the UK you will have to visit a job centre and attend an interview to arrange to get yours. My wife had to do this when she initially came to UK. It was not hard, but you have to convince them you are perminant in the UK, and they will need to see your passport and proof of where you are living.

Thanks Colin.. I knew I wasn't going mad. It is in black and white on my birth certificate.

I'm dreading this whole NI thing to be honest. I will hate it if they drag it out and I get taxed at a higher rate until I get my NIN number. It's like god damned.. I'm entitled to work there, so legally they should give me the number.. I'll go to the local member if I have any issues I guess. A few people had their NIN issues resolved fast that way.

Guest Guest31881
Thanks Colin.. I knew I wasn't going mad. It is in black and white on my birth certificate.

I'm dreading this whole NI thing to be honest. I will hate it if they drag it out and I get taxed at a higher rate until I get my NIN number. It's like god damned.. I'm entitled to work there, so legally they should give me the number.. I'll go to the local member if I have any issues I guess. A few people had their NIN issues resolved fast that way.

When my wife came to England she had never had a NI number, she got British passport because her father was British. We attended the interview and the girl asked why we needed to NI number so we explined that she had moved to UK perminantly and needed one to work. The girl looked at the passport and stuff we took and said," i cant see a problem you should hear in about 10 days" and that was it. Now we are in Australia anyway but it does mean she will be entitled to a UK pension of some form.

My Aussie cousin and partner had no trouble getting NI numbers - just went to the job centre and got one with the card turing up about a week later. As for the habitual residency test , i had to look this up as I'd never heard of it although I remember my Oh having a bit of trouble signing up with the doctor until i said he had been in the Uk for over 3 months then they were perfectly fine with it.

I'd also recommend getting your Aussie citizenship in case things go pear shaped in the UK then you can come back with no problems

My Aussie cousin and partner had no trouble getting NI numbers - just went to the job centre and got one with the card turing up about a week later. As for the habitual residency test , i had to look this up as I'd never heard of it although I remember my Oh having a bit of trouble signing up with the doctor until i said he had been in the Uk for over 3 months then they were perfectly fine with it.

I'd also recommend getting your Aussie citizenship in case things go pear shaped in the UK then you can come back with no problems

I'd agree with this, you never know what may happen in the future. If you ever had kids would also give them options to live in Aus too.

Thanks Boganbear, that puts my mind at rest with the HRT. I am sure it will work out fine.

I don't really want to justify my reasons for not wanting to come back to Australia. All I am saying is no family here now, more family and friends in the UK. I've lived in Australia 35 years, I've seen and done all I need and want to do and it's time to move on. I never had a choice to come here, but I have a choice to leave, I've done more than my fair share of time on the rock.

Anyway, even without Citizenship or an Australian Resident Return Visa, if I absolutely must come back, I can apply for a RRV over there and it's fairly straight forward if it's done within 3 years of leaving Australia. I could do it before I leave, it's a little cheaper and takes 24 hours but at this stage it's not something I want to do.

Cheers and thanks.

Matt

Archived